Forums > Model Colloquy > models on myspace?

Model

Stephan Jefferson

Long Beach, California, US

In MM's defense... I get alot more "phony wanna'bes" on myspace than on here. Fake agencies that want you to pay some upfront fees, "casting directors" etc. But its easy to spot one of these if youre observant enough. What I hate is people that steal your pictures... at least on myspace you can make your profile private. but then that defeats the purpose of having a "networking site". That has happened to me 3 TIMES!! lol

Oct 31 06 12:30 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Oct 31 06 12:34 am Link

Model

Chantelle Mathiasson

Carson City, Nevada, US

ive gotten work from both, both are great to have!!!!! MM and myspace...

Oct 31 06 12:35 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Aaron Wright wrote:

Do what you gotta do but that's just where I disagree.. why would you wanna network w/ those ppl, why would you want to be associated w/ them and I hope you don't mean that you'd promote yourself in any form as long as you can get exposure.  I guess for the original post you can see that it can be useful, but I just think there are better ways.  I think it just seems less legitimate.

I'm not associating with those people, I'm associating with the real ones that are there.  I've worked with a number of legit people from myspace and then turned them onto MM.  You have to make of it what you can.  Yes there are better ways, and when I get myself onto the level where I can have my own website, then I'll be on my way.  smile  But you have to start somewhere and it never hurts to have people know your name.  As a female glamour model, I'm always going to have some creep talking slimey to me anyway, I'll just ignore him.

Oct 31 06 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I go there to hang out with artists....never gotten modeling work there, or photography work, basically just communicate with people who are already my friends IRL. I have been pruning my list. I hate friend whores. Unless they have something to offer me....and that is usually getting on a VIP list. The only thing myspace has been good for is my nightclub photography.

Oct 31 06 01:56 am Link

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

Just be careful on there! I've gotten freaks to just plain out fools. I just love the so called AGENCIES that supposedly get you work and the wannabe managers.

Oct 31 06 02:05 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Greek-Italian Model wrote:
Just be careful on there! I've gotten freaks to just plain out fools. I just love the so called AGENCIES that supposedly get you work and the wannabe managers.

Uh, yeah, that is why I try to know who my 'friends' are. And I don't model on there, only network.

Oct 31 06 02:24 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

krystel_gotti wrote:
I was wondering if going about getting noticed the Myspace route? Is that a cool way to go? I see alot of girls getting more work and stuff, if anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them!

I use it as one more website with alot of traffic to get my name and photo on.  big_smile
myspace.com/kathaysmodel

Oct 31 06 08:16 am Link

Model

DianaDenyse

Chatsworth, Georgia, US

Aaron Wright wrote:

Do what you gotta do but that's just where I disagree.. why would you wanna network w/ those ppl, why would you want to be associated w/ them and I hope you don't mean that you'd promote yourself in any form as long as you can get exposure.  I guess for the original post you can see that it can be useful, but I just think there are better ways.  I think it just seems less legitimate.

I think its good to have a myspace page. It lets you interact with your so called "fans" and although their mostly pervs it puts your face out there and when they see you on T.V or magazine they know you name. I have a myspace and most guys are tryng to get at me with thee exception of the few gay friends I have but we are models they are our audience. It's cool to get the average persons input on photots opposed to another model of photographer who will tell you how you could have done this or that etc.  PLUS ITS JUST FUN

Oct 31 06 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Aaron Wright wrote:
MySpace = gay

There was a time when that would have meant Myspace was a happy place to visit.

Oct 31 06 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Chantelle Gascoigne wrote:
ive gotten work from both, both are great to have!!!!! MM and myspace...

I love your myspace profile.

Oct 31 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Geo Silva

Whittier, California, US

Lora wrote:
Yeah people adding random people is sometimes considered networking, and it's done on MM as well. And, not everyone does it. It doesn't mean that Myspace can't be a great place to network if you use it the right way.

I agree!  I've actually done more networking at myspace than any other site location.  Besides, I don't have to prove myself and what I do to anyone there... like here or other sites like this one, seeing all those who sit as judges determining who's pro or GWCs.

Oct 31 06 08:53 am Link

Model

Carrie_K

Orlando, Florida, US

With all the companies having pages on myspace now, it's just as easy to network there then anywhere. I've gotten some high paying jobs from there. And it was from the company reps themselves, not some creep wanting to see my boobies!

Oct 31 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

noel Salcedo

New York, New York, US

i make more money on myspace than MM..
but i love both sites.. smile

Oct 31 06 08:59 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

I don't actively use MySpace to get modeling jobs but I have photographers and models add me and I actually just got booked for a fashion show off of MySpace so it's helped me. I actually don't get many offers there though, and the ones I do have all been legit.

So I put it out there but I don't actively add people or anything. myspace.com/tattoos_are_classy

Oct 31 06 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Zenestra Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I've worked with quite a few models from Myspace and have been pretty happy with the results. The majority were on-time, dedicated and, believe it or not, more reliable than some of the models I have tried to work with from actual modeling websites like OMP or even ModelMayhem.

Oct 31 06 09:10 am Link

Model

TheStitchWitch

Needville, Texas, US

Myspace has been good to me so far. All of the models and photographers in my stylist profile (119405) were found through myspace. Most of them were already on MM too and a few have joined since we shot together. It also sends a lot of traffic to my website and has found me several paying clients (I am a corset maker).

Oct 31 06 09:12 am Link

Model

Samantha Grace

It really works for me. I get a ton of real offers from that site. It also gives fans who have seen me on the web a chance to email and talk to me. Great marketing tool, if you use it the right way.

Oct 31 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

cosfrog

San Diego, California, US

I use myspace not only for 'networking' meaing like minded individuals to talk about the trade....but as for advertiement. Portrait and model portfolio development. I can 'network' here but to be honest I dont get much paid work from these sites. Myspace on the other hand I have recieved lots of paid portrait work. Both are free sites but myspace has helped more in putting food on the table and buying me new gear!

Oct 31 06 01:47 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

krystel_gotti wrote:
I was wondering if going about getting noticed the Myspace route? Is that a cool way to go? I see alot of girls getting more work and stuff, if anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them!

It's a great way to build up a fan base. And I've met a ton of photographers on there that I didn't even know existed.....and I frequent MM and OMP.

Oct 31 06 02:47 pm Link

Model

Aaron Wright

Brooklyn, New York, US

Lol fan base

Oct 31 06 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

NLI

Wichita, Kansas, US

Actually, for me as a photographer, MySpace has become THE electronic advertising and publicity tool and far surpasses even what I yield from OMP or MM.

I think models can harness MySpace to their benefit, too, and I've met few mods on MySpace who mention their mods but they also blog about being drunk and who they're boinking.

If you use MySpace, I suggest you set up a profile that is STRICTLY business.  Use it only for promoting, blogging and contacting people for modeling.  Don't talk about puppies, drinking or boinking.  Otherwise you will likely come off as a girl who thinks it's fun to shoot photos once in a while, and while there's nothing wrong with that, that's worlds away from developing yourself as a professional.

Have you tried it out?  Let me know what your results are.

Scott
www.myspace.com/newlightimage

Oct 31 06 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

NLI

Wichita, Kansas, US

Daniela V wrote:

It's a great way to build up a fan base. And I've met a ton of photographers on there that I didn't even know existed.....and I frequent MM and OMP.

I will copy what Daniela said.  I've met models that I wouldn't have met via MM or OMP.  And there is potential to use it to develop a fan base.  Give it a try!

Scott

Oct 31 06 07:31 pm Link

Model

gsvb

New York, New York, US

I dont really see the point of models on myspace
I am on there to promote my music
All the pro models I know on myspace dont talk about modeling
They just go on there for a laugh
I do though think that myspace is a great site, and has opened up the world for everyone

www.myspace.com/garyspencermusic

Oct 31 06 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Paul

Miami, Florida, US

i made the mistake to try to make my personal site for photography as well (started getting too mixed up)--I made a new one just for photo and i've been in the process to separate the two, but so far it's been great for networking.  Actually the model in my current avatar I met on myspace--and myspace is how I found out about MM lol

http://www.myspace.com/jeanpaulphoto

Oct 31 06 11:17 pm Link

Model

Stephan Jefferson

DianaDenyse wrote:
...but we are models they are our audience. It's cool to get the average persons input on photots opposed to another model of photographer who will tell you how you could have done this or that etc.  PLUS ITS JUST FUN

Well put... does anyone disagree with that?

Nov 01 06 12:34 am Link

Model

Stephan Jefferson

http://www.myspace.com/bachelor

lol I didnt know that I couldnt change my url later on down the road

Nov 01 06 12:35 am Link

Model

Chantelle Mathiasson

Carson City, Nevada, US

GLB Graphics wrote:

I love your myspace profile.

Thanks!!! Very much appreciated!!! hehe... HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!!!

Nov 01 06 12:42 am Link

Model

AmberW

Dothan, Alabama, US

I get very iffy about myspace. The photographers that I have actually worked with or have been scheduled with mostly come from this and other modeling sites. On the other hand I have had a lot of "agencies' get in contact with me on myspace. What I don't understand is when I message one of the models that are supposedly signed to that agency about there legitimacy I rarely get an answer.

Nov 01 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

Aaron Wright makes a lot of good points and one thing you have to consider is how professional is it going to look.  I see it all the time with the models on here that are amatures, looking for PAID SHOOTS ONLY, and have a myspace account as their website, which to me screams unprofessional and I tend to look no further. 

Additionally, look at it this way: if you were in charge of advertising for a tampon company, would you concentrate your advertising dollars on magazines, such as Maxim?  Sure you would probably create some awareness and even increase some portion of your business, but ultimately you will not be nearly as successful if you advertised in magazines geared towards women.  The point is that you have to look at who your demographic is and try to reach them in the best way possible. 

Is myspace the answer?  I don't think so, but ultimately, it probably wouldn't hurt either.  Just make sure that you do not use it exclusively or even as a page for your own portfolio.  Spend the extra money and develop your own website and pursue this career as you would any other profession. 

Another thing....what do you think it would look like if you walked into an agency and included your myspace page on your resume?  I don't think it would go very well.  Heck, I wouldn't even include MM on my resume.   But at least on here, you can get a lot of beneficial contacts for your INDUSTRY!

Nov 01 06 11:50 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

New Light Image wrote:
I will copy what Daniela said.  I've met models that I wouldn't have met via MM or OMP.  And there is potential to use it to develop a fan base.  Give it a try!

Scott

www.myspace.com/kathaysmodel

Nov 02 06 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

Fort Mill, South Carolina, US

There are several models (see my friends list) that use MySpace as free advertising.  I don't really see an issue with it.

Nov 02 06 01:22 pm Link

Model

Robyn Richards

Durham, North Carolina, US

HEY I THINK THATS A GREAT IDEA,I HAVE A LOT OF ATTENTION,MOSTLY GOOD IT'S A GREAT WAY TO MARKET YOURSELF.

Nov 02 06 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Photoss

Burke, Virginia, US

Myspace works only if u make it work for u. But its true, models on myspace mostly want free shoots. No good.

Nov 02 06 06:20 pm Link

Model

Aaron Wright

Brooklyn, New York, US

cisstudio wrote:
Aaron Wright makes a lot of good points and one thing you have to consider is how professional is it going to look.  I see it all the time with the models on here that are amatures, looking for PAID SHOOTS ONLY, and have a myspace account as their website, which to me screams unprofessional and I tend to look no further. 

Additionally, look at it this way: if you were in charge of advertising for a tampon company, would you concentrate your advertising dollars on magazines, such as Maxim?  Sure you would probably create some awareness and even increase some portion of your business, but ultimately you will not be nearly as successful if you advertised in magazines geared towards women.  The point is that you have to look at who your demographic is and try to reach them in the best way possible. 

Is myspace the answer?  I don't think so, but ultimately, it probably wouldn't hurt either.  Just make sure that you do not use it exclusively or even as a page for your own portfolio.  Spend the extra money and develop your own website and pursue this career as you would any other profession. 

Another thing....what do you think it would look like if you walked into an agency and included your myspace page on your resume?  I don't think it would go very well.  Heck, I wouldn't even include MM on my resume.   But at least on here, you can get a lot of beneficial contacts for your INDUSTRY!

Thanks for taking what I set and presenting it in a well written and respectable form.  I was kind of just joking around at first because i don't agree with the myspace approach, but this is pretty much what I was getting at.

Myspace probably wouldn't hurt as he said, I still say it might hurt sometimes especially for young women, but hey it's ultimately up to YOU!

Nov 02 06 06:52 pm Link

Model

Tori Angel

Toms River, New Jersey, US

Myspace has networking for photogs and models so its a real easy way to find photogs and other models in your area.Most of the time I just look for people in my area and find out most of them are on mm or omp...then contact them from their portfolios.

Nov 02 06 06:55 pm Link

Model

NaTasha Denise

Columbia, South Carolina, US

I think Myspace can be a good way to gain familiarity and support for the different things you do. I have met some people on myspace and told them about fashion shows I would be in and they would come out and support. I plan on doing a calendar soon and I'm sure people that are familiar with me on myspace are likely to support me by buying it when it comes out. Like stated before, great way to market yourself.

Nov 05 06 06:21 pm Link

Model

Babylinda

Guttenberg, Iowa, US

It is a very good way to network with other models and photographers and keep in close contact with the models and photographers you deal regularly with . I also have a professional myspace and a personal . You post a bulletin for instance and everyone on your myspace sees your bulletin for a casting and such ,95% of the bulletins are professional ones and I have gotten exposure and paid work from it! So yes ! here is my myspace btw
www.myspace.com/babylindabomb

It is always good to have your own website I have a freewebs account and I pay extra to have it without advertising and more space but you all can get one also  for 100% free when you do add me there aswell.smile

http://freewebs.com

http://freewebs.com/babylinda

Nov 05 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Lora wrote:
Aaron, so being in forums here isn't doing the same thing? You obviously have no problems posting "Myspace = gay" on MM. How is that any different that posting bulletins on Myspace or just commenting with your friends there?

There is no difference.  Just the site name.  And how can a site be "gay"?

Nov 05 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Carlos Arturo Velarde wrote:
Personally I've found models more reliable from there than from here or any other "models only" site...

Same here!!  I know several pretty damn good models that work with MySpace as do several highly known photographers.  I have gotten contacted for more shoots there than on MM, gotten more response from models and potential models, and they are more dependable, for the most part, etc.  I have said SO many times, a site is what the people make it, it can't do it on it's own.  A site does not have a mind of it's own, it is a place where people interact.  For that, MySpace has done well and I would bet will continue to do so, even more.

Nov 05 06 07:17 pm Link