Forums > Critique > I want to Rank MM. Are you in?

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:
Wow, thanks Dan!  smile

Well deserved. You need to work with our cousin Vinny here. Then come shoot with me.

Dec 04 12 11:37 pm Link

Model

KristianaRose

Denver, Colorado, US

Dec 04 12 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

MissLaurelle wrote:
Can I be on that list big_smile?

combining your two ports for the ranking.

Dec 04 12 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Dan K Photography wrote:
What saves you from a lower ranking is your models. I got to say every time I look at your port I want to think this is your trolling account and you have another amazing port using the same models.

AS a tough love thing I got to ask are you trying at all? Did getting access to models from doing Vancouver fashion week swell your head and made you think you no longer needed to improve?

I don't know why but it pisses me off to see those models wasted. There is another on my other thread who seems to be in the same boat as you.

The waste is a tragedy.

So my low ranking on your list has more to do with your emotional response to what i am than anything else ?

True that I am a hobbyist with no real education /training in photography and that I use low end equipment ( ie a Canon Rebel )

True also that a person in my position generally does not get access to top models

but I dont think its fair to say that I dont try to improve my photography - since joining MM ( studying other photographers work and getting feedback on my own work ) I have purchased lighting , I have acquired regular access to a studio , and my regular hair and makeup people are top notch ( finding good styllists that will colloborate on a trade basis remains a challenge ) I believe that i have come some distance to become ( in my view ) and average photographer however i have plans to keep challenging myself and growing

When you say that you feel that the waste of a models beauty with respect to my photography is a "tragedy " - 2 thoughts come to my mind

1 ) Do you understand what a real tragedy is ? In my world real tragedies are such things as  war. disease , starvation ....human /animal/environmental abuse and exploitation - in other words situations where real suffering occurs - not situations where a pretty girl has her photo taken by an average photographer

2 ) If you had the same opportunities Ive had - what would you do to avoid such "tragedies "yourself ( here is the part where you can show off your own work and the fine models you have worked with  to illlustrate your point )

Dec 05 12 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Amul La La

London, England, United Kingdom

12 from the bottom, and your taking this seriously, but we should take it as fun, okay, YAY!

Dec 05 12 06:07 am Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

Garry k wrote:
So my low ranking on your list has more to do with your emotional response to what i am than anything else ?

No, I never said or implied anything that should have led you to believe so.

I used the word tragedy as a commonly used expression and did not mean to imply that what we have here is on par with deaths and destruction. I hope this clarification helps.

Dec 05 12 06:22 am Link

Photographer

EMB Images

Delmar, Delaware, US

Dec 05 12 06:32 am Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

A M U L wrote:
12 from the bottom, and your taking this seriously, but we should take it as fun, okay, YAY!

You are right. You being 12th from the bottom means I am not taking this seriously.

Butthurts are always fun. Thanks for playing.

Dec 05 12 06:35 am Link

Model

Melanieana

Carson City, Nevada, US

Im not sure if I should but what the heck
https://www.modelmayhem.com/2461588

Dec 05 12 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Sophistocles wrote:
As an aside, this ranking is fascinating, as, more than anything else, it gives a great insight into Dan's tastes. I'd love to see a few others do this and rank people.

Jessie Shannon wrote:
I would be willing to rank people

Um, no, can't have that. If you didn't rank me on top of the "guys who fascinate me," I'd be forced to do something rash.

Dec 05 12 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I was checking back as I had fallen from favor, yet delighted to see I have a moral boost this aft. Thanks.

Dec 05 12 08:20 am Link

Model

Dora L

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dec 05 12 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Brooks Beauty

Chatsworth, California, US

Ooops! Wrong account!

Dec 05 12 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Brooks Ayola

Chatsworth, California, US

Garry k wrote:

Gary K wins the butt hurt award HANDS DOWN!! Spectacular! :-)

I'll go... It looks like fun and I need an excuse to fake rant.

Dec 05 12 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Late to the party, but now we're getting into the rants...

Dec 05 12 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm sincerely upset that you've ranked me above Garry.

Would you be so kind as to swap our places. He should go above me (since I'm in Seattle and he's in BC, he's above me geographically, too).

Plus his response was better than mine. This response sucks.

Dec 05 12 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Carter

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Garry k wrote:
True that I am a hobbyist with no real education /training in photography and that I use low end equipment ( ie a Canon Rebel )

At this point, I am nothing more than a hobbyist trying to turn this into a career. And I started with a Rebel and a cheapo lens. That's no excuse. I have no "education/training" either. I taught myself. Also, no excuse.

Garry k wrote:
True also that a person in my position generally does not get access to top models

Yeah, same here as I live in the anus of the United States. Again, no excuse.

Garry k wrote:
but I dont think its fair to say that I dont try to improve my photography

If you were, you wouldn't be making excuses as to why you do what you do. You would be asking what you could do to improve.

Dec 05 12 09:33 am Link

Model

Jes K

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

woo! 7th from last! Better than I thought I would do. Mostly because I've only done 2 photshoots in my life. big_smile

Dec 05 12 09:43 am Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

my bad

Dec 05 12 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

Hey guys do me a favor and lets not turn this into a pile on Garry. I did mean it in a good way but it probably didn't come off well. I was probably a bit harsher then I needed to be.

Please don't let this stop you from expressing your butthurt.

Dec 05 12 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Carter

What's my score?

Dec 05 12 10:03 am Link

Model

missemmily12

Bozeman, Montana, US

Dec 05 12 11:15 am Link

Model

Jordan Bunniie

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I'm not at the bottom! Sweet! big_smile

Dec 05 12 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Anthony Gordon

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey why not, lemme know where I stand!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/140482

Dec 05 12 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Vincente Lopez

Seattle, Washington, US

This thread is worthy of a chair and popcorn. Well played Dan K, well played.

Dec 05 12 11:41 am Link

Model

Luna Diosa

Elizabeth, New Jersey, US

Vincente Lopez wrote:

I agree very entertaining popcorn

Dec 05 12 11:51 am Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vincente Lopez wrote:

I agree. This is entertaining.
Although, I'm feeling very mediocre as I slip further into the lower 50% sad
It's interesting comparing each ranked photographer with the equally ranked model.

Dec 05 12 11:54 am Link

Model

Victoria MHP

Houston, Texas, US

Different! Where would I fit in smile?

Victoria H https://www.modelmayhem.com/767805

Dec 05 12 11:57 am Link

Photographer

jesse paulk

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Dec 05 12 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:
It's interesting comparing each ranked photographer with the equally ranked model.

I went over to do that and the first thing I noticed was that the model with the same ranking as mine is the only model in the list that I've worked with.  We've both moved in ranking a bit since we were added, so I'd say that's a pretty good indication that it's both a coincidence AND that Dan is putting some thought into this.  smile

Dec 05 12 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

nvm smile

Dec 05 12 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

K E E L I N G wrote:

I went over to do that and the first thing I noticed was that the model with the same ranking as mine is the only model in the list that I've worked with.  We've both moved in ranking a bit since we were added, so I'd say that's a pretty good indication that it's both a coincidence AND that Dan is putting some thought into this.  smile

Ya, this list seems pretty realistic and accurate.

Dec 05 12 12:08 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

lolsure.
Let's see what my ten photos only gets me put in as.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/1467115

Dec 05 12 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Carter

Damianne wrote:
lolsure.
Let's see what my ten photos only gets me put in as.

You has 15 big_smile

Dec 05 12 12:16 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Mnemosyne Photography wrote:

You has 15 big_smile

FINE I guess that's right. I just unhid as many as I was allowed, I didn't "count"

Dec 05 12 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

KeithD3

Saint Joseph, Missouri, US

Dan K Photography wrote:

I have no idea where to put you. You have some boring beginner looking stuff. You have a fair bit of real nice creative stuff but your PP sucks.

I will have to think about it. Anyone want to give me suggestions on this feel free to pm me.

I knew it was time to clean out my port and had been putting it off.  I cut it down to 1/3 of what was in there a few days ago.
Since you have had a little time to mull it over I would like to know what you think now that some of the trash has been hauled out. 

I would like to know where I stand.   I want to get better and can't do that without knowing where I am today and what needs to be done to improve.

I will try to come up with a good butthurt if you put in there.  Although I am not very good at complaining.

Dec 05 12 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Vincente Lopez

Seattle, Washington, US

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:

Dan looked at your work and I gotta say I am a fan. The ambiance and story telling on some of your photos is good stuff.

Dec 05 12 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

Vincente Lopez wrote:

Dan looked at your work and I gotta say I am a fan. The ambiance and story telling on some of your photos is good stuff.

You are already as high as you will go. Sucking up to me won't help. Paypal transfer on the other hand...

Dec 05 12 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Tran

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Dec 05 12 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Vincente Lopez

Seattle, Washington, US

Dan K Photography wrote:
You are already as high as you will go. Sucking up to me won't help. Paypal transfer on the other hand...

LOL. That was meant for Dan Cruikshank. However Dan K. since we are on the subject, what email should I send your paypal payment to??? :-P

Dec 05 12 12:53 pm Link