This thread was locked on 2013-07-25 18:47:29
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > racist comments from a photographer

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Call Me Caitlin wrote:

I guess I don't really want to be portrayed as an Asian or a white person. I'd rather be ... me.

I'm just a lil offended that he used that term, when he could've used different adjectives and terms to describe how he wanted a specific look.

If you don't want to be portrayed as Asian that is perfectly fine and obviously your choice.   Just try not to get too bent out of shape when a photographer looks to emphasize what he/she finds most unique and interesting in your look.

Jul 25 13 05:00 pm Link

Model

Babalon Salome

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

"Oriental" is a racial slur? Really? In German it isn't. It means "from the Orient". It's like saying "European" about people from Europe.

Jul 25 13 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm asian. My friends that are asian use FOB to describe someone that, is recently arrived. It can sound somewhat derogatory because it depicts a person that is really awkward, naive and comical (if you think about the stereotype), a different way of dressing, speaking, not fitting in, etc.

But if I were doing a photoshoot and the photographer wanted me to "play" someone that was an fob asian, or german, or fresh off a boat from whatever country, I don't think that would offend me. Best choice of words? Probably not.

All the asians that I know are pretty good at slamming their own race, including thai, filipino, japanese, chinese etc. smile It takes the power away from the racists imo.

Jul 25 13 05:01 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Augustine

Babalon Salome wrote:
"Oriental" is a racial slur? Really? In German it isn't. It means "from the Orient". It's like saying "European" about people from Europe.

Here it's reserved for things like carpets, not people.

Jul 25 13 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Call Me Caitlin wrote:
I guess I just thought that using the term "fresh off the boat" was a little insensitive to me, not to anyone else. neutral

I'm sorry, I would only consider it to be a quicker/more efficient term than trying to describe people of foreign descent who have not become Americanized and who would seem still strongly tied to the communities/traditions they have left.

I would not consider it racist unless tied specifically to a race, and unflattering in nature.

Photographer

ChadAlan

Babalon Salome wrote:
"Oriental" is a racial slur? Really? In German it isn't. It means "from the Orient". It's like saying "European".

Yeah, we can be kinda sensitive to that one smile
Just sounds so 1980's.

Although when my hair was down to my waist and I played in a rock band, some called me "ornamental" cause of all the bangles and earrings, LOL.

Photographer

Eclectic Vision

Toledo, Ohio, US

Call Me Caitlin wrote:

I guess I don't really want to be portrayed as an Asian or a white person. I'd rather be ... me.

I'm just a lil offended that he used that term, when he could've used different adjectives and terms to describe how he wanted a specific look.

How would you describe what he was looking for?

Jul 25 13 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Anna Kl wrote:
WORK YOUR SHIT

Applicable in any situation.

[printing bumper sticker now]

Jul 25 13 05:06 pm Link

Model

90s sub pop records

Livermore, California, US

Eclectic Vision  wrote:

How would you describe what he was looking for?

He could have said something along the lines of, "I'm looking for a person of Asian descent."

Jul 25 13 05:07 pm Link

Model

Babalon Salome

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

de0rbit wrote:
Here it's reserved for things like carpets, not people.

Oh. OK. I had no idea.

Jul 25 13 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Seems like your reaction is directly related to your insecurity of being part asian.
Perhaps some soul searching might be on the cards?

Jul 25 13 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Elizabeta Rosandic wrote:

My parents are immigrants (as am I, though I've been here for most of my life). I call them "FOB's" all the time jokingly, because they are very, very, very FOB-ish. I never considered it a racist term.

In my family we called them the old greaseballs.  Lovingly of course. lol

Jul 25 13 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

DP

Jul 25 13 05:10 pm Link

Model

90s sub pop records

R.EYE.R wrote:
Seems like your reaction is directly related to your insecurity of being part asian.
Perhaps some soul searching might be on the cards?

I don't see how I'm insecure about being Asian...

Jul 25 13 05:11 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Augustine

Jul 25 13 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Call Me Caitlin wrote:

He could have said something along the lines of, "I'm looking for a person of Asian descent."

You are a great mix, a hint of asian and very pretty. Some might equate that with possessing non traditional features. Maybe he wanted to play up the asian-ness.

Although I agree that he could have just cast someone with classic asian features like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=du+juan … 95&bih=933

http://www.oneasianworld.com/wp-content … er_Ad2.jpg

Jul 25 13 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Eclectic Vision

Toledo, Ohio, US

Call Me Caitlin wrote:

That doesn't really describe the look it sounds like he was going for. He already knew you were of Asian decent. He wanted a specific look concept. I don't believe there was a better way to describe what he wanted.

Jul 25 13 05:13 pm Link

Model

90s sub pop records

Eclectic Vision  wrote:

That doesn't really describe the look it sounds like he was going for. He already knew you were of Asian decent. He wanted a specific look concept. I don't believe there was a better way to describe what he wanted.

https://t.qkme.me/3q4nd4.jpg

Jul 25 13 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Call Me Caitlin wrote:

I don't see how I'm insecure about being Asian...

I don't see how a secure in being asian person would take offense in the photographer's statement...

Jul 25 13 05:14 pm Link

Model

90s sub pop records

I don't see why this photographer sought out me, instead of a full Asian model. Why choose a hapa if you want an Asian themed shoot?

Jul 25 13 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

the OP seems too sensitive to work with.

Jul 25 13 05:16 pm Link

Model

90s sub pop records

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

yup.

Jul 25 13 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Call Me Caitlin wrote:
I don't see why this photographer sought out me, instead of a full Asian model. Why choose a hapa if you want an Asian themed shoot?

Hapa?

Jul 25 13 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

political correctness will be the death of a civil society with individual liberty -

actual racist or sexist or homophobic behavior is one thing -  word policing is something else altogether...

Jul 25 13 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Ken D Photography

Marietta, Ohio, US

Call Me Caitlin wrote:

I'm not sure if people would understand what a "hapa" is, besides, you have the look he wanted, so take that as a compliment.

Jul 25 13 05:19 pm Link

Model

90s sub pop records

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:

Hapa?

A term to describe half Asian, half white.

I bet now everyone's going to get on my case for using that term. sad

Jul 25 13 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Hapa?

I'm from Hawaii. Hapa is like a mix. So if someone is a Hapa Haole, they are half white half asian. I know some that don't like that term either.

Jul 25 13 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Call Me Caitlin wrote:

LOL no.

Jul 25 13 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I hope to have the chance to find out.  As it stands now, I'm quite willing to take the chance.

Photographer

LUNA_PHOTOGRAPHY

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

Call Me Caitlin wrote:
Last week there was this photographer who wanted to work with me, and after learning that I'm half Asian half white, he wanted to make me look even more Asian, a "FOB" or "fresh off the boat".

Obviously, I'm not working with said photographer, but has anyone encountered anything similar?

Sounds like you might have "Racial Paranoia". It is in epidemic proportions since Obama took office and he along with the liberal media have been pumping a race war which is dividing this country.

Photographer

Ken D Photography

Marietta, Ohio, US

Hapa?

Hapa is Hawaiian for half, it's used to describe someone who is half one ethnicity and half another. Hapa Haoli means half caucasian.

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

And then you use a derogatory term in reference to yourself further proving the point..

Jul 25 13 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Art of the nude wrote:

I hope to have the chance to find out.  As it stands now, I'm quite willing to take the chance.

And we will be reading about you.   big_smile

Jul 25 13 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Hapa?

Call Me Caitlin wrote:

Yes..

I'm confused.  The term FOB is wrong but hapa is okay?

Jul 25 13 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Model Mentor Studio

Saint Catharines-Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Here a fob is a keychain.

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

And we will be reading about you.   big_smile

In Crime Watch most likely wink

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Call Me Caitlin wrote:

As I said earlier, because you are hot!

Jul 25 13 05:26 pm Link

Model

90s sub pop records

R.EYE.R wrote:
And then you use a derogatory term in reference to yourself further proving the point..

Is there any reason you need to be so snarky to me?

Jul 25 13 05:27 pm Link

Model

90s sub pop records

LUNA_PHOTOGRAPHY  wrote:

Sounds like you might have "Racial Paranoia". It is in epidemic proportions since Obama took office and he along with the liberal media have been pumping a race war which is dividing this country.

https://t.qkme.me/3q4nd4.jpg

Jul 25 13 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Will_DB

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

To my untrained British ears, 'fresh off the boat' is particularly derogatory. Almost as bad as the word 'wetbacks'. Appreciate immigrants and recent descendants play around with the term but I would never use it. Mind you the only person I have ever heard use the term was half American, half Vietnamese, and ironically he got the chance to tell me off for using the word 'oriental' which to me just describes people from what in old fashioned terms was called 'the Orient'. I would certainly hesitate to use the word though and would play safe with 'SE Asian'. (In the UK Asian usually is taken to mean Pakistani or Indian).

One thing I really don't understand - fob is surely about how you behave, rather than how you look. How do you *look* fob?

Jul 25 13 05:29 pm Link