Forums > Accomplishments, Achievements and High Fives > A Review of 2013 - How did it treat you?

Photographer

Laura Dark Photography

Columbus, Ohio, US

In 2013:

I shot 365 sets of images and 16,000 frames or an average of 44 frames per set.

I only shot on one day a week which means I shot 7 sets every time I set foot in the studio.

I shot 12 magazine covers and had 43 publications including 2 featured editorials in Gothic Beauty Magazine.

I shot a CD cover and had an image on the poplar Tv show, FaceOff and shot Wednesday Mourning from Oddities: San Francisco.

I made a video on youtube of some of my favorite images from 2013:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWenIZwJXJk

How did 2013 treat you?

Dec 31 13 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Magus

El Cajon, California, US

I have nothing to say except 2014 has to be better cause 2013 has been the worst year of my life.

Dec 31 13 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Tianxiao Zhang

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I summarized mine here..

https://vimeo.com/82871610

Happy 2014!

Dec 31 13 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Tianxiao Zhang

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Laura Dark Photography wrote:
I shot 12 magazine covers and had 43 publications including 2 featured editorials in Gothic Beauty Magazine.

I shot a CD cover and had an image on the poplar Tv show, FaceOff and shot Wednesday Mourning from Oddities: San Francisco.

Very impressive!

Dark Magus wrote:
I have nothing to say except 2014 has to be better cause 2013 has been the worst year of my life.

I think your 2014 will get better..

Dec 31 13 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

johnreefphotography

College Park, Maryland, US

Averaged a 78% rate of return on investments.  And took a few pictures.

Dec 31 13 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

In 2013:

quite a year

Dec 31 13 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

2013 was pretty damn good and funny at times:

I made a goal to do more politically in 2013. Then at a new years eve party
(I was doing event coverage)
I wound up having dinner with the Mayor.
We had a lovely exchange/argument about my business in her city.
So that kicked off the year with a bang.

I was published (print) in the SF Chronicle
I was published (print) in New York Post
I was published (online) in Yahoo.com front home page

A bunch of smaller gallery/art shows.

I took part in Playboy TV Show Boarding Pass:
3 episodes about my Boudoir Studio

I completely rebuilt my web presence and combined two sites into one.
Completely new Facebook page from scratch.
New design on business cards.

I photographed 125 people.
I increased my total billing by 12% over 2012.

(Even though I had a massive dry spell of 3 weeks in June with not a single phone call/email)

Dec 31 13 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Happy New Years!   smile

Dec 31 13 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

SMS-Photography

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

Every year just gets worse then the last.

Dec 31 13 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

SMS-Photography wrote:

As we are hours away from the new year, I think it is safe to say that your career as a motivational speaker expires with 2013, and wonderful opportunities as eulogogist and assisted suicide counselor opening up as great new careers!

borat

Dec 31 13 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Found a new ligthting style and technique,also changed my style a bit using more wide angle and focusing more on sky and enviroment of my sunsets..thus my style changed a bit
also experimented with more natural light ideas,night walkarounds,even incorperating models at night ...

got in with a new magazine called Surreal Beauties and started to get quite a bit of images published,including a calender

To me 2013 was a setup for what I feel will be my year in many ways in 2014

Dec 31 13 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

johnreefphotography

College Park, Maryland, US

SMS-Photography wrote:

Curious, do you get invited to a lot of parties?

Dec 31 13 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

SMS-Photography

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

udor wrote:

SMS-Photography wrote:

As we are hours away from the new year, I think it is safe to say that your career as a motivational speaker expires with 2013, and wonderful opportunities as eulogogist and assisted suicide counselor opening up as great new careers!

borat

Nailed it!

johnreefphotography wrote:

Curious, do you get invited to a lot of parties?

It's New Years Eve, I'm watching the news, eating Ritz crackers and commenting on MM forms. What do you think!

Dec 31 13 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

I'm finding that I am blessed more and more each day!!:-)

Dec 31 13 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

udor wrote:

borat

Udor... my man! smile

Dec 31 13 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Off the top of my head..these are prolly some of the highlights, despite I only started doing things again around August seriously..

I submitted a proposal to do a 7500 kilometer journey through the western arctic to the high arctic and do a film about it, write several articles. It was a bit on the high side for budget so it was rejected, but I hope to re-submit and edit it for early 2014, with some added oomph for less cost.

Somewhere around mid year i got an email to put some of my images of the southern arctic on 6 jet planes, which flies from the southern portion of the arctic to BC and Alberta. The images will wrap around the fuselage which will be my biggest public art to date..12' wide at least. I don't know when it will be done but I'll likely be informed so we can begin marketing it together

I met and hung out with theresa manchester (whose work i've followed and loved since for years) in banff which was totally awesome big_smile even got a quick shot of her under the aurora, which apparently follows me around, at 4 am.

This month I started finishing up and sourcing a composer/musician to do the soundtrack to the nature documentary i started a year ago, I plan to do one on the river and sky of the sub arctic coming out in 2014.

Earlier this week I turned down a tour group in Sri Lanka, sadly, because it conflicted with another tour i want to do in the north right after a tour in the southern USA which will hopefully go ahead this upcoming 2014-2015.

Dec 31 13 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

SMS-Photography wrote:

Get out of Oshkosh. Jesus.

Dec 31 13 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Totally sucked.  Models had no interest in creativity.  Just wanted to make a buck to eat.  Haven't shot for five months.

Dec 31 13 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

SMS-Photography

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

Cuica Cafezinho wrote:

Get out of Oshkosh. Jesus.

Probably will in a couple months, will need to find a city with better homeless shelters.

Dec 31 13 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Dark Photography

Columbus, Ohio, US

udor wrote:
Wrong forum???

HNY anyway!  smile

This IS the braggy brag brag look what I did forum, right?  I did since major bragin' up there ^.  Lol

Happy 2014!  smile

And I'll add another brag, I have almost 15,000 fans of Facebook.  tongue

Dec 31 13 09:19 pm Link

Model

Fur Elise

Seattle, Washington, US

I didn't keep count of any of it... I just kept going.

It was AWESOME!

I hope everyone had a wonderful year as well.

Dec 31 13 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Dark Photography

Columbus, Ohio, US

Tianxiao Zhang wrote:
I summarized mine here..

https://vimeo.com/82871610

Happy 2014!

I love this video so hard!!!

Dec 31 13 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I feel I had a great year.
I started testing models for a couple of agencies.  I've shot with some other agency models too.  Ramped up my stock work.  I started shooting on the beach and I was very happy with the results.  I ended the year with a final shoot with a Lithuanian Elite model currently living in Milan.  She had fun working together and would like to shoot again with me when she returns to NYC.  I'm a freekin' happy camper.

Dec 31 13 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

In 2013:

I only shot on one day a week which means I shot 7 sets every time I set foot in the studio.

curious, what are "sets" of images? is that for zivity?

Dec 31 13 10:04 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

It treated me like poo.   Lol.

Dec 31 13 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Big A-Larger Than Life wrote:

I kicked it in the baws for you big a and made it go away.

Dec 31 13 11:20 pm Link

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

aside from my pole recital (see my post in this thread) and a couple of other small things, 2013 was the second worst year of my life
(the first was 2009, when my dad died plus i had a break-up plus a backstabbing)

Dec 31 13 11:39 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Bluntly, the ONLY way 2014 can go is up - after 2013 there isn't much more 'down' it can go.

Jan 01 14 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Laura Dark Photography

Columbus, Ohio, US

Karl Johnston wrote:

curious, what are "sets" of images? is that for zivity?

In my studio each client "look" is a set.  So if model"A" pays for 3 looks, that equals 3 sets of images and my MUA, Hair, and Stylist is paid for each as a separate job.  If the client used the same makeup and hair and styled their own looks it was considered one set and I was paid out extra only if they wanted more images from the extra outfits.

I work with the same team of muas, hair, stylists, and pose coaches in my studio each week so we came up with this system as a fair pay scale.

Jan 01 14 05:56 am Link

Photographer

RBM Photo

Bellbrook, Ohio, US

In 2013:

I shot like 10 <shrug>

2013 was alright I guess.

edit: but that counts all of OSR as only one set, if I broke that down further it would be 15 or so. Yay me.

Jan 01 14 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Personally a bad year
-broke up with my wife
-then broke up with GF
-house got flood in summer
-house got frozen with power outage at Christmas

Business
-highest grossing year yet

Jan 01 14 06:28 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

It was fine. Greeting crows pleasantly and respectfully yields good karma.

Don

Jan 01 14 06:44 am Link

Photographer

BestOfYou

Batesville, Indiana, US

My wife's career uprooted the family and I moved from the 1.2 million populated Denver metro area to a town of 1,200. It nearly cost me my family and my marriage because I did not want to go at first. In addition to leaving the city, family and friends I'd known since I was 2 years old, it meant leaving decades worth of word of mouth referrals that included polititians, pro athletes, CEO's and thousands of models, for fields of corn and soybeans, horseflies big enough to carry off my youngest daughter and tornado warnings in December.  The only internet available is crappy satellite or spotty 4G. I arrived in June 2013, 9 months after the rest of the family, after mending my marriage. I was unemployed for the first 5 months and almost sold my camera to pay bills (our finances are seperate) before finally finding a full time job, which I need to survive and help out mom back home and repair my house I'm renting back in Denver that's suddenly falling apart, all while trying to re-build my business in larger cities that are 50-100 miles away. Nobody has heard of MM out here so I've shot 3 models in 6 months. The ladies all have some form of camoflauge and the most popular accessories are shotguns and cigarettes.

The things we do for love.

2014 had BETTER be better!

Jan 01 14 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Big A-Larger Than Life wrote:

I wish you good luck in the New Year!!   smile

Jan 01 14 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Personality Imaging wrote:
Totally sucked.  Models had no interest in creativity.  Just wanted to make a buck to eat.  Haven't shot for five months.

I'm starting to think it's a southern thing.  When I worked in California, this didn't happen to me nearly as proportionally as it does now.  Let's just say 2013 was ok, got some good work in, but let's just say I'm hoping 2014 is a better year.

Jan 01 14 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

In my studio each client "look" is a set.  So if model"A" pays for 3 looks, that equals 3 sets of images and my MUA, Hair, and Stylist is paid for each as a separate job.  If the client used the same makeup and hair and styled their own looks it was considered one set and I was paid out extra only if they wanted more images from the extra outfits.

I work with the same team of muas, hair, stylists, and pose coaches in my studio each week so we came up with this system as a fair pay scale.

I like this idea

Jan 01 14 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

treated me very well. Two new primes. Ziess 24mm, Sigma 85mm for my Sony A99. And a Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet.

Jan 01 14 01:25 pm Link

Model

Raychel Adams

Detroit, Michigan, US

2013 was good, not amazing.  I am ready to get my modeling off to a rocking start.  Have a shoot next week and I'm ready to have many more in 2014.

Jan 01 14 01:35 pm Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jan 01 14 03:20 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

I didn't shoot much, but I did get the cover and a featured spread with interview in a major alt magazine, so that couldn't have been any more awesome.

Jan 01 14 03:23 pm Link