Forums > General Industry > Your opinion(s) on group shoots.

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

I think what I like about them is that the model is always relating strongly to someone other than you, except for that one moment when she glances your way and just before you can shoot someone else does which grabs the strobe for them and not for you.

So if you like bland shots of models modeling for someone else, or even if you just like extremely underexposed shots of models modeling for you while the strobe refreshes, group shoots are a great way to go.

borat

Apr 12 14 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

You are just jealous!   big_smile

Of??

Apr 12 14 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Call Me Caitlin wrote:
Love them, or hate them?

I am curious to know what everyone thinks about them.

It depends on how well the organizing is done, but I don't like most group shoots.  The reason being that I would rather be the main or only shooter, but there are exceptions.  If it's a group session where we are learning something new for example.  It's got to be something worthwhile, because most of the time the pictures look much the same as the others.  I've never actually used the few images I've shot at a group shoot.  The positive is that like at many meet and greet gatherings, I've made connections.

Apr 12 14 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

A-M-P wrote:
I go to Meet & Greets not group shots, Just to talk and mingle don't even take out my camera. I would never pay to attend a group shoot.

The ones people pay to go shoot to is mostly amateurs shooting amateurs.

That's my feelings about it too.  Meet and greets are great!  However I disagree with you about the models being "amateurs" ... as most of the time the models are very professional.  If I'm going to pay for a model, I want to be able to capture unique images, and that is very difficult to do in "group" situations. 

If it is a seminar on some aspect of photography that I want to learn more about, I am willing to pay for that.  In the early goings of my career, I have done that in the past.  It usually included a group shoot to test out what we learned.

I have never used any of the images from past group shoots because of the combination of some models wanting extra pay to sign a release for use rights plus it's difficult to get something clearly original and unique with a bunch of other photographers hanging over your shoulder!

I wonder what the model perspective is on group shoots?

Apr 12 14 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Artifice wrote:
I think what I like about them is that the model is always relating strongly to someone other than you, except for that one moment when she glances your way and just before you can shoot someone else does which grabs the strobe for them and not for you.

So if you like bland shots of models modeling for someone else, or even if you just like extremely underexposed shots of models modeling for you, group shoots are a great way to go.

borat

This shows your limited experience with groupshoots.  You can't find the good ones.

Apr 12 14 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

It depends on how well the organizing is done, but I don't like most group shoots.  The reason being that I would rather be the main or only shooter, but there are exceptions.  If it's a group session where we are learning something new for example.  It's got to be something worthwhile, because most of the time the pictures look much the same as the others.  I've never actually used the few images I've shot at a group shoot.  The positive is that like at many meet and greet gatherings, I've made connections.

You've been to the wrong ones.

Apr 12 14 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

You've been to the wrong ones.

Jerry, I see the images posted, and understand that not all group shoots are alike.  However, I am living in the central coast of California, and don't know of any such shoots recently going on around here.

Apr 12 14 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Jerry, I see the images posted, and understand that not all group shoots are alike.  However, I am living in the central coast of California, and don't know of any such shoots recently going on around here.

I travel to Arizona myself.

Apr 12 14 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

If I traveled to Arizona, it will be to shoot with some models that I'd set up on my own schedule, not a group shoot.   I actually live on a ranch that would be perfect for teaching students or doing a group shoot.  At this point in my life, I'd rather be the one running it than attending it.   I've enough elbowing for position shooting live concerts from the press photographers pit.  I'm too old for that! tongue

Also it's less expensive for me to host traveling models than it is for me to travel to Arizona ... although I'd love to someday.

Apr 12 14 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

You are just jealous!   big_smile

I have yet to see a photo taken at a group shoot that I wish I had taken. It is rare that I see a model from a group shoot that I would want to shoot.

I'm willing to accept that my taste is different from that of others, and that's fine. But I assure you, jealousy is not part of it.

Apr 12 14 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

I'm not a huge fan of group shoots and I don't really shoot to much of this style anymore.

But here's one I took a few years ago that I liked, from my first and only group shoot.

It may help reinforce why group shoots may be bad....or good.

I'm fine with either interpretation smile

[deleted link]

Apr 12 14 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:

I have yet to see a photo taken at a group shoot that I wish I had taken. It is rare that I see a model from a group shoot that I would want to shoot.

I'm willing to accept that my taste is different from that of others, and that's fine. But I assure you, jealousy is not part of it.

Yes it is your opinion.  People have posted good photos here. Some are not my style but the photos are not bad.  Many people here do not know how to find a good groupshoot!  At the one I have attended models come from all over the world and there is a waiting list of models.
I think that it is funny how people are pushing to get the photos in the Critique forum.

Apr 12 14 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

If I traveled to Arizona, it will be to shoot with some models that I'd set up on my own schedule, not a group shoot.   I actually live on a ranch that would be perfect for teaching students or doing a group shoot.  At this point in my life, I'd rather be the one running it than attending it.   I've enough elbowing for position shooting live concerts from the press photographers pit.  I'm too old for that! tongue

Also it's less expensive for me to host traveling models than it is for me to travel to Arizona ... although I'd love to someday.

There are several people from California who attend.  One comes from Alaska.

Apr 12 14 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

CHAD ALAN wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of group shoots and I don't really shoot to much of this style anymore.

But here's one I took a few years ago that I liked, from my first and only group shoot.

It may help reinforce why group shoots may be bad....or good.

I'm fine with either interpretation smile

https://s30.postimg.org/oc2aqpexp/DSC1177.jpg

When I clicked on it I got a great message in the lower right-hand corner:)

"Are you near United States?
Me too. Let's hook up now!"

Apr 12 14 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

So let me get this straight...

You pay to travel from Michigan to Arizona.  When you get there, you also pay for a hotel room for at least a couple of nights.  You then pay the entry fee for a group shoot.  While there, you also pay models for one-on-one time.  More than likely you also pay the model(s) for a release (I'm guessing it's not the "happy ending" kind of release either).  Now add in food and drinks.

How much does that whole trip run?  I'm going to guess somewhere close to $1,000 (give or take a few hundred).  And, what do you get in return for all of that...just some photos for your portfolio here? 

Even if the shoot was next door, most photographers are probably looking at spending a minimum of about $200.  More if they want to do one-on-ones with more than just one model. 

Seems like a bad investment, in my book.  Especially if the group shoot portion involves me and 50 of my closest shooting buddies all vying for the attention of anywhere from 1 to 5 models while holding my breath for that oh-so-special special glance from the model.

Apr 13 14 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Renato Alberto

San Francisco, California, US

Call Me Caitlin wrote:
Love them, or hate them?

I started a group doing group shoots and workshops in the Bay Area about 6 years ago. At that time there were only a couple of other groups around. after about 2 years there were dozens of them doing the same thing. Mine were always very different then your normal group shoots/workshops. I always wanted to do something different and useful to the photographers and models that came to the shoots. So I change the format and did them for another 1 year or so, until the other groups started doing the same thing that I was doing, so I stopped for awhile. Coming back again soon with a whole different concept on group shoots/workshops.
I think if they are done correctly, they can be helpful and a good learning experience to new models and photographers. I think the ones that I sometimes hear that are like paparazzi with one model standing there and dozen of photographers in a half moon just clicking away, does not do anything for anyone involved.
all of this IMHO smile

Apr 13 14 12:50 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Artifice wrote:

When I clicked on it I got a great message in the lower right-hand corner:)

"Are you near United States?
Me too. Let's hook up now!"

Haha. You can thank me later.

Apr 13 14 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

There are several people from California who attend.  One comes from Alaska.

I understand that you are enthusiastic about group shoots, Jerry.  However, it's not for everyone.  I wont be traveling to Arizona for such an event.

Apr 13 14 01:21 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Renato Alberto wrote:

I started a group doing group shoots and workshops in the Bay Area about 6 years ago. At that time there were only a couple of other groups around. after about 2 years there were dozens of them doing the same thing. Mine were always very different then your normal group shoots/workshops. I always wanted to do something different and useful to the photographers and models that came to the shoots. So I change the format and did them for another 1 year or so, until the other groups started doing the same thing that I was doing, so I stopped for awhile. Coming back again soon with a whole different concept on group shoots/workshops.
I think if they are done correctly, they can be helpful and a good learning experience to new models and photographers. I think the ones that I sometimes hear that are like paparazzi with one model standing there and dozen of photographers in a half moon just clicking away, does not do anything for anyone involved.
all of this IMHO smile

I would be interested to know more if you do future shoots/workshops because you are much closer to where I live.  The "paparazzi" feel is just what I want to avoid.

Apr 13 14 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

CHAD ALAN wrote:
Haha. You can thank me later.

The pop up window on the page when I clicked on it said; 
"hiya, sex bomb
ready for some fucking
and sucking?
Meet me in Salinas!"

I got a good laugh out of it!  tongue

Um sorry  ... not tonight!
For being a "sex bomb"  I'm pretty tired
I think I'll climb into bed ... to sleep! 

Good night!

Apr 13 14 01:30 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Patrick Walberg wrote:

The pop up window on the page when I clicked on it said; 
"hiya, sex bomb
ready for some fucking
and sucking?
Meet me in Salinas!"

I got a good laugh out of it!  tongue

Um sorry  ... not tonight!
For being a "sex bomb"  I'm pretty tired
I think I'll climb into bed ... to sleep! 

Good night!

I guess I'm not using that image hosting site any more!

Apr 13 14 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

I understand that you are enthusiastic about group shoots, Jerry.  However, it's not for everyone.  I wont be traveling to Arizona for such an event.

I enjoy the one that I go to.  There are a few others that I am aware of.
I also am aware that people make poor choices and then complain.

Apr 13 14 01:56 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

I would be interested to know more if you do future shoots/workshops because you are much closer to where I live.  The "paparazzi" feel is just what I want to avoid.

I would not go to a paparazzi shoot.  smile

Apr 13 14 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:

So let me get this straight...

You pay to travel from Michigan to Arizona.  When you get there, you also pay for a hotel room for at least a couple of nights.  You then pay the entry fee for a group shoot.  While there, you also pay models for one-on-one time.  More than likely you also pay the model(s) for a release (I'm guessing it's not the "happy ending" kind of release either).  Now add in food and drinks.

How much does that whole trip run?  I'm going to guess somewhere close to $1,000 (give or take a few hundred).  And, what do you get in return for all of that...just some photos for your portfolio here? 

Even if the shoot was next door, most photographers are probably looking at spending a minimum of about $200.  More if they want to do one-on-ones with more than just one model. 

Seems like a bad investment, in my book.  Especially if the group shoot portion involves me and 50 of my closest shooting buddies all vying for the attention of anywhere from 1 to 5 models while holding my breath for that oh-so-special special glance from the model.

This doesn't happen at the one I go to.  I have been there 4 times.

Apr 13 14 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
This doesn't happen at the one I go to.  I have been there 4 times.

Okay, so what is your outgoing cost (travel, entrance fee, one-on-one fee, etc) and what do you get in return for it? 

The photos being posted obviously aren't convincing some of us that group shoots are worth going to.  So, explain it to us from a financial perspective.

Oh, and I'm still trying to figure out what it is I'm supposedly jealous of.  Please enlighten me.

Apr 13 14 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
Okay, so what is your outgoing cost (travel, entrance fee, one-on-one fee, etc) and what do you get in return for it? 

The photos being posted obviously aren't convincing some of us that group shoots are worth going to.  So, explain it to us from a financial perspective.

Oh, and I'm still trying to figure out what it is I'm supposedly jealous of.  Please enlighten me.

Some of the pictures I posted are similar to what you have in your portfolio. If I could shoot them, surely you could have done so as well?

But, I am not trying to convince anyone. This isn't a contest where someone has to be "right" or "win." I'm not sure how it got turned into that, other than some overly-fragile egos.

The OP asked for opinions on group shoots. Unfortunately, as is the norm on MM, there was a lot of BS and outright misinformation posted. I am simply trying to give my personal perspective. You know, what the OP asked for.

So, we get it. You think that group shoots are a bad idea and worthless. So, don't go.

Meanwhile, some of us think that group shoots CAN be worthwhile.

Remember that there are LOTS of them going on, often by very good shooters. Did you know, for example, that TH Taylor and Michael Rosen do group events in Chicago and Milwaukee?

Condemning every event and insulting those who want to go is stupid. In fact, common advice to new photographers is to attend some group events in their area. Its a good way to meet people, learn from more experienced people, and just have a good time.

Apr 13 14 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Call Me Caitlin wrote:
Love them, or hate them?

Just in case anyone lost track of the topic.

Apr 13 14 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

AndyD10

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Personality Imaging wrote:
Much better if you just have a beer and let others shoot

I've been to 3 group shoots. They were a bit of fun but not really the place to make great pictures.

I've quoted this post as one of the group shoots took place in a pub which was open for business as usual while we shot in one reserved area. Then we had some beer smile

Apr 13 14 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

AndyD10 wrote:
I've been to 3 group shoots. They were a bit of fun but not really the place to make great pictures.

I've quoted this post as one of the group shoots took place in a pub which was open for business as usual while we shot in one reserved area. Then we had some beer smile

Now that's the Irish way of doing things!  I like that! borat

Apr 13 14 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I enjoy the one that I go to.  There are a few others that I am aware of.
I also am aware that people make poor choices and then complain.

It may not be a "poor choice" in my opinion to not attend the same group shoot that you do.  Don't pay attention to any of those complaining about group shoots, but I'm not complaining.  I just choose not to go.  Our opinions were asked for, and I gave mine.

Apr 13 14 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I would not go to a paparazzi shoot.  smile

Of course not!  I'm the anti-paparazzi as I enjoy shooting the paparazzi while they are shooting.  Give 'em a taste of their own medicine.   tongue

Apr 13 14 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

AndyD10

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Now that's the Irish way of doing things!  I like that! borat

Funny thing is it was organised by a Portuguese guy.

I've just realised I have an image from a group shoot (not the pub shoot) in my portfolio. I won't post a link to it as I'd hate to put anyone in a position where they had an opinion and couldn't share it smile

Apr 13 14 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

AndyD10 wrote:

Funny thing is it was organised by a Portuguese guy.

I've just realised I have an image from a group shoot (not the pub shoot) in my portfolio. I won't post a link to it as I'd hate to put anyone in a position where they had an opinion and couldn't share it smile

I wouldn't worry about that.   smile

Apr 13 14 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

FotoArcade

San Diego, California, US

I got my start going to group shoots and I have fond memories of them. At that time, I had an interest in glamour photography but I didn't know enough to plan or carry a whole shoot on my own. So I watched others work and learned what I could. None of those photos are in my port ten years later but my first shoots were with models I met at group shoot. I used those photos and reference to get other models to work with me and so it began. If your expectations are reasonable, it's a sensible place to start without spending a lot of cash. I remember a remarkable range of models and many were quite experienced with sizable followings.

Apr 13 14 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Shibley

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Of course not!  I'm the anti-paparazzi as I enjoy shooting the paparazzi while they are shooting.  Give 'em a taste of their own medicine.   tongue

Jerry has one of my photos on his home page from a group shoot. 1 photographer with 2 models.

Some models seem to like coming to group shoots as there is a waiting list for one in AZ. I can see for pro photographer's they might not make financial sense but for amateurs they can be enjoyable & a learning experience.

Apr 13 14 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

OG Foto

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I think they are a great learning experience for beginners (both photographers and models). A great networking tool and also a great way to start a portfolio. I went to some when I first started and learned a lot. They have there hang-ups like everything else. But in my opinion the positives outweigh the negatives.

I think as you get experience you gradually see the negatives out grow the positives and then end up not liking them. So I go back to my original statement of them being great for beginning photographers and models.

Apr 13 14 09:45 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lumigraphics wrote:
Remember that there are LOTS of them going on, often by very good shooters. Did you know, for example, that TH Taylor and Michael Rosen do group events in Chicago and Milwaukee?

Please please do not confuse group shoots with workshops. What TH Taylor/Chip Willis etc do are workshops not group shoots. Workshops of their level require people who want to learn how to shoot a professional model in a structured environment with a talented photographer. You do not find an amateur model at these workshops or people who come to crowd around a model or two to get snapshots like the majority of group shoots are.

Totally totally different things here.

Apr 14 14 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

This is Gabriella who I photographed at a groupshoot 2 years ago.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120301/18/4f502a20c17fe.jpg

These are 2 Fabian Bond mini movie commercials that she did for AEZ wheels, a large wheel manufacturer in Europe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU7SF3n2GJA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikpvy8sVcFA

Apr 14 14 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Please please do not confuse group shoots with workshops. What TH Taylor/Chip Willis etc do are workshops not group shoots. Workshops of their level require people who want to learn how to shoot a professional model in a structured environment with a talented photographer. You do not find an amateur model at these workshops or people who come to crowd around a model or two to get snapshots like the majority of group shoots are.

Totally totally different things here.

I have never been to a group shoot where people crowded around a model. Nor do I go to get snapshots.

Maybe that's part of the problem, nobody has defined "group shoot" so we get lots of different ideas about what one is.

The work I get from group shoots is pretty much on par with what I get from an individual shoot booked with any model, for better or for worse.

The biggest differences for me are the one hour time slots (normally I shoot for 2-3 hours on an individual session) and having access to a location.

Apr 14 14 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Lumigraphics wrote:

I have never been to a group shoot where people crowded around a model. Nor do I go to get snapshots.

Maybe that's part of the problem, nobody has defined "group shoot" so we get lots of different ideas about what one is.

The work I get from group shoots is pretty much on par with what I get from an individual shoot booked with any model, for better or for worse.

The biggest differences for me are the one hour time slots (normally I shoot for 2-3 hours on an individual session) and having access to a location.

+1

Apr 14 14 08:34 am Link