Forums > General Industry > Your opinion(s) on group shoots.

Photographer

JAE

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

Organized groupshoots that provide 1 on 1 shooting can be nice. I have met a lot of photographer friends and a lot of the models I may hire now I met at groupshoots like that.  Anything that allows more then 1 person to shoot at a time is a waste. I went to a few of those when starting and never really got anything good.

Apr 14 14 09:04 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lumigraphics wrote:

I have never been to a group shoot where people crowded around a model. Nor do I go to get snapshots.

Maybe that's part of the problem, nobody has defined "group shoot" so we get lots of different ideas about what one is.

The work I get from group shoots is pretty much on par with what I get from an individual shoot booked with any model, for better or for worse.

The biggest differences for me are the one hour time slots (normally I shoot for 2-3 hours on an individual session) and having access to a location.

Sure, and I get that. But as I said to Jerry a few times those are few and far between.

Apr 14 14 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Sure, and I get that. But as I said to Jerry a few times those are few and far between.

Maybe elsewhere in the country? In Ohio and Michigan, the one hour time slot, trade format is pretty much the norm.

DEAC, LEGS, CAC, Hocking Hills, and I've seen lots of others advertised over the years.

Like anything else, there will be good and bad examples.

Apr 14 14 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

JAE wrote:
Organized groupshoots that provide 1 on 1 shooting can be nice.  Anything that allows more then 1 person to shoot at a time is a waste.

True on sentence #1... but couldn't agree on sentence #2... wink

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130514/06/51923ef104dc3.jpg

Apr 14 14 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Pisqually

Dayton, Ohio, US

Call Me Caitlin wrote:
Love them, or hate them?

I am curious to know what everyone thinks about them.

Can't really say I hate them, but from what I've seen and heard about them so far - I am not a fan.

Obviously, the gang shoot where a bunch of photographers crowd around one model vying for her attention and just snapping away is just idiotic. Though I hear some photographers actually sign up for these. Not for me!

Actually, I've never attended any type of group shoot. For good reason. In my area the shoots that I have checked out on the forums just didn't have enough of what I wanted to shoot. Now I haven't checked out every single one I'm sure. While Jerry and others in this thread are happy with the group shoots they are finding. I haven't found the same ones I guess. Or we just have different tastes.

Now this is just about group shoots not workshops. Where they bring in top notch models to work with. That's a different topic.

Apr 14 14 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Pisqually wrote:
Can't really say I hate them, but from what I've seen and heard about them so far - I am not a fan.

Obviously, the gang shoot where a bunch of photographers crowd around one model vying for her attention and just snapping away is just idiotic. Though I hear some photographers actually sign up for these. Not for me!

Actually, I've never attended any type of group shoot. For good reason. In my area the shoots that I have checked out on the forums just didn't have enough of what I wanted to shoot. Now I haven't checked out every single one I'm sure. While Jerry and others in this thread are happy with the group shoots they are finding. I haven't found the same ones I guess. Or we just have different tastes.

Now this is just about group shoots not workshops. Where they bring in top notch models to work with. That's a different topic.

Check out the Hocking Hills group shoot in Ohio that is coming up soon.  It is in the Events forum.

May 10.  I don't think that they are totally booked up yet.

Apr 14 14 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Pisqually wrote:
Now this is just about group shoots not workshops. Where they bring in top notch models to work with.

You don't have to pay outrageous workshop prices to get top-notch models... wink

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130606/02/51b053979c486.jpg

Shot of Russian model Petra at a Select Models 'Weekday Beach Minishoot'... a monthly summer groupshoot in SoCal... wink

Apr 14 14 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

- HokusFokus -

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Apr 14 14 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Pisqually wrote:

I used to do a few higher end events a couple times a year; Hiring agency models, professional hair, makeup and styling.  It wasn't cheap, raising the costs for the photographers to several hundred each at a minimum. 

They were great events but the number of photographers who understand what a model looks like and why they are expensive isn't as high as the number who just want to shoot pretty girls.  In the end these events tend to be fewer in nature, often lost in the rash of "hooters girls paparazzi charlie foxtrot" group shoots.

Apr 14 14 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

- BP Photo - wrote:
To people who rag on group shoots because of the quality of the pictures, if you are a talented photographer, shouldn't you be able to get great pictures from any model in any location, with only an hour of working time?

Personally, I like groups shoots and have thought of hosting some.  But they have always had very high (at least 50%) no-show rates from models and it has gotten worse in the last year.  So for me, they are no longer a practical option for working with models.

Actually, every picture in this collage is from a group shoot:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/35298818
(and before you start, this is not the critique forum!)

Perhaps the organizers were not paying the models, that is usually why there is such a high no-show rate...

Apr 14 14 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Select Models wrote:

You don't have to pay outrageous workshop prices to get top-notch models... wink

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130606/02/51b053979c486.jpg

Shot of Russian model Petra at a Select Models 'Weekday Beach Minishoot'... a monthly summer groupshoot in SoCal... wink

I like her!   smile

Apr 14 14 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

I have been to many group shoots. For me, it is so much better than a cattle call. Not only do I get to see a variety of models in person but I get to shoot them under lights with hair, makeup and styling. Considering all of that group shoots are a real bargain, but only if you go to the right shoots.

It is during breaks and lunch that I carefully review my hundreds of shots to see which model(s) I then want to shoot privately. Which are photogenic and which pose well. And the best group shoots offer private bookings after the group shoot with free use of the sets and lights--you pay the models directly for their time. Like this:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100920/22/4c9840cacbec3.jpg

Group shoots in the SF Bay Area are insanely great--low cost, high talent and amazing studios but that's probably a testament to the organizers, one of whom has put on more events than anyone else in the world.

Have I gotten great shots during a group shoot. A few. Here is one I'm proud of:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130319/11/5148afe854747.jpg

After a group shoot? Many, including my avatar.

Apr 14 14 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

- HokusFokus -

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Apr 14 14 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Pisqually

Dayton, Ohio, US

Select Models wrote:

There is no doubt you have some very beautiful models on your port! In California you might get that at a group shoot. From what I've seen in Ohio you do not.

We do have some beautiful models here too. A few might sign up for group shoots, but most of them do not.

Apr 14 14 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Pisqually

Dayton, Ohio, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
Check out the Hocking Hills group shoot in Ohio that is coming up soon.  It is in the Events forum.

May 10.  I don't think that they are totally booked up yet.

Jerry I have been following it. It looks like a fun time and everyone seems so friendly! It would make for a great meet and greet. And someday I might do it. To be honest, I look for different types of models than what signed up. That is not meant as an insult to anyone. I just have a certain look I prefer to shoot and only four of the 20some models have the look I wanted for my current ideas/projects. So I will contact them individually if and when I want to shoot them.

Apr 14 14 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Pisqually wrote:
There is no doubt you have some very beautiful models on your port! In California you might get that at a group shoot. From what I've seen in Ohio you do not.

If your groupshoot organizers in Ohio aren't providing you with quality models at their events... then I guess you know who's to blame.  At the 'Cruiseboat Photoshoots' I organize (without being paid ONE DIME for it)... it's not ME who decides what models attend... it's YOU (the attending photographers)... wink

Apr 14 14 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Pisqually wrote:

Jerry I have been following it. It looks like a fun time and everyone seems so friendly! It would make for a great meet and greet. And someday I might do it. To be honest, I look for different types of models than what signed up. That is not meant as an insult to anyone. I just have a certain look I prefer to shoot and only four of the 20some models have the look I wanted for my current ideas/projects. So I will contact them individually if and when I want to shoot them.

Sometime you have to look far.  This model is from Budapest.   smile

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 0c17fe.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikpvy8sVcFA

Apr 14 14 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:
So true... for in a forum where NO critiques are permitted... what everybody else thinks about said images does NOT matter... wink

Proved the point I already held

big_smile

Answer to OP I have no interest in group shoots. I prefer to secure locations, book my own models and control my own set.

Group shoots are my idea of hell on earth

Apr 14 14 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Pisqually wrote:

We do have some beautiful models here too. A few might sign up for group shoots, but most of them do not.

There are a couple of Ohio models that I will probably shoot soon.

Apr 14 14 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Select Models wrote:

If your groupshoot organizers in Ohio aren't providing you with quality models at their events... then I guess you know who's to blame.  At the 'Cruiseboat Photoshoots' I organize (without being paid ONE DIME for it)... it's not ME who decides what models attend... it's YOU (the attending photographers)... wink

Go ahead, admit it. This is like a dream thread for you, isn't it? smile

Apr 14 14 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Select Models wrote:

I have long wanted to shoot Joan Smalls  , Liu Wen and  Bianca Balti

Can You make that happen for me ?

Apr 14 14 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Cherrystone wrote:
Go ahead, admit it. This is like a dream thread for you, isn't it? smile

Not even close... THIS is a dream thread... borat

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=907312

Apr 14 14 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Garry k wrote:
I have long wanted to shoot Joan Smalls  , Liu Wen and  Bianca Balti

Can You make that happen for me ?

Bring them on the Nov 2nd Cruiseboat Photoshoot amigo... make that happen for you and EVERYONE attending.  You'll be shooting your 3 favorites and close to a dozen other fantastic models... borat

Apr 14 14 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Mossack

Joplin, Missouri, US

I do like attending group shoots, but rarely shoot at them. For me, the value is in networking and making contacts for a later shoot of my own. Some of these are well run, and you can get some good one on one shooting time with each model, and come away with some reasonably nice images.  I find too many devolve into several photographers gather around, shooting one model. I prefer not to get a slightly different angle of the same photo of the guys on either side of me.

Apr 14 14 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Brian T Rickey

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

No.

Apr 14 14 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Select Models wrote:
Bring them on the Nov 2nd Cruiseboat Photoshoot amigo... make that happen for you and EVERYONE attending.  You'll be shooting your 3 favorites and close to a dozen other fantastic models... borat

lol

right

I guess i misunderstood how you run things

Apr 14 14 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Garry k wrote:
I guess i misunderstood how you run things

The vast majority of photographers do... until they checkout the 'Credits Section' on my MM page... or read the details on each shoot posted on the MM 'Events Forum'... wink

Apr 14 14 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

KeithD3

Saint Joseph, Missouri, US

I attended a few group shoots when I was getting started and was disappointed at the disorganized way everything was handled at all of them.  So gave up on group shoots.

I recently moved out of my old studio into my new one which has much more space and great access so I am hosting my first group shoot this weekend.  4 photographers, 2 models and 2 unique sets.
I have a rotation schedule set up and hopefully everyone comes away happy.

Apr 14 14 09:35 pm Link

Model

daniellekatherine

Los Angeles, California, US

Had a great time and shots came out cool too:) positive event

Apr 15 14 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

daniellekatherine wrote:
Had a great time and shots came out cool too:) positive event

Danielle is referring to this groupshoot event... of which she was one of 17 showcased models on April 13th... wink

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=919692

Apr 15 14 12:40 am Link

Photographer

BillyPhotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've organized a few photography events and they were fun.. Here's a promo vid I made

https://www.billyvegasphotography.com/playvideo.jpg

Btw, Select Models... That cruise sounds fantastic.  I'd do it if I could swing it.  I give you a lot of credit!

Apr 15 14 12:47 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

BillyVegas wrote:
I've organized a few photography events and they were fun.. Here's a promo vid I made

https://www.billyvegasphotography.com/playvideo.jpg

Btw, Select Models... That cruise sounds fantastic.  I'd do it if I could swing it.  I give you a lot of credit!

Hey thanks Billy!  The cruiseboat shoot coming up in November will be the 6th one we've hosted.  Over 100 models and photographers have attended so far.  I invite all interested MM members and their friends to attend.  Here's the link to the next 'Cruiseboat Photoshoot' on Nov 2nd... wink

Apr 15 14 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Select Models wrote:

Not even close... THIS is a dream thread... borat

No, not an event thread. One you can post pics freely in like this one, and not worry about getting brigged again. smile

Apr 15 14 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Cherrystone wrote:

No, not an event thread. One you can post pics freely in like this one, and not worry about getting brigged again. smile

Please post a link to the thread were you think I was brigged for posting photos.  The fact is, I was never brigged for posting photos... it's not a briggable offense.

Apr 15 14 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Pisqually

Dayton, Ohio, US

Select Models wrote:

I will say it does sound interesting. Who sponsored Jessica all the way from Denmark? What about the participants who want to shoot nudes?

Apr 15 14 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Pisqually wrote:

I will say it does sound interesting. Who sponsored Jessica all the way from Denmark? What about the participants who want to shoot nudes?

I have photographed great models from the Czech Republic and Hungary.  I 've photographed both of them nude.

Apr 15 14 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Cherrystone wrote:

I have no problem with him posting photos.

Apr 15 14 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Pisqually wrote:

Jessica had plans on being in Southern California for a few weeks during last year's 'Cruiseboat Photoshoot'.  Her sponsoring photographer (first name Hal) provide her sponsorship ticket and an undisclosed amount of additional cash.  Jessica also made a rather handsome amount of additional cash on the 'one on one shoots' scheduled on last years cruiseshoot, as did all the other models who attended.  For models who attend, it's like a paid cruiseboat vacation.  For photographers who attend on Nov 2nd, participating in the paid one on one shoots is NOT mandatory, and they still receive four 1 on 1 groupshoots on the 6 day event.  We currently have 2 more models scheduled to attend than photographers, so photographers will score BIGTIME on this cruiseshoot!... borat

Apr 15 14 11:06 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

https://www.jayleavitt.com/links/guide_forum_llama.gif

Pisqually wrote:

Select Models wrote:
Jessica had plans on being in Southern California for a few weeks during last year's 'Cruiseboat Photoshoot'.  Her sponsoring photographer (first name Hal) provide her sponsorship ticket and an undisclosed amount of additional cash.  Jessica also made a rather handsome amount of additional cash on the 'one on one shoots' scheduled on last years cruiseshoot, as did all the other models who attended.  For models who attend, it's like a paid cruiseboat vacation.  For photographers who attend on Nov 2nd, participating in the paid one on one shoots is NOT mandatory, and they still receive four 1 on 1 groupshoots on the 6 day event.  We currently have 2 more models scheduled to attend than photographers, so photographers will score BIGTIME on this cruiseshoot!... borat

Thank you for the comments, etc.  I am thinking that we need to get back on track with the OP's original question.  Why don't we move back from your events to the general question that Caitlin asked?

Apr 15 14 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

GPS Studio Services wrote:
https://www.jayleavitt.com/links/guide_forum_llama.gif

Pisqually wrote:

Thank you for the comments, etc.  I am thinking that we need to get back on track with the OP's original question.  Why don't we move back from your events to the general question that Caitlin asked?

All 6 previous cruiseboat photoshoots were 'groupshoots', as well as the groupshoot coming up in November.   They asked questions... I provided answers.

Apr 15 14 11:40 am Link