Forums > Photography Talk > A suggestion for the newbie photogs...

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

PUT DOWN THE DIGITAL CAMERA and buy a film camera. Digital encourages you to become a ratio shooter. But when you have to pay for film it will force you to stop and think about what you are doing before you press the shutter release..

Once you have that down, then shoot digital. You will not have developed the bad habit of "I'll just fix it in post"

Thoughts?

Aug 28 05 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher M

Sioux City, Iowa, US

I agree Iagree!!!!!!!! I still use film!!

Aug 28 05 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

jbex

GRANADA HILLS, California, US

God I wish everyone would listen to this. There are far too many "photographers". Just becauyse you have a digital camera and can snap off a few shots at a 45 degree angle doesn't make you a photographer. Drop the 0's and 1's and get some film and learn the artform.

Aug 28 05 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Athearn

Boulder, Colorado, US

John is right. I learned photography the hard way, manual cameras, film, and then how to process and print my own stuff in the darkroom. You gotta learn the rule of photography to really understand it. Digital is nice (I use it), but it's just not like old fashioned photography.

Aug 28 05 05:48 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I've only ever had two photographers shoot me in film. Seeing the final result made me rethink certain things when I model. Small things couldn't be "fixed". It helped!

Aug 28 05 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Sounds pointlessly elitist to me.

Why not pare it down to the crux of what you mean and say, "stop and think about what you are doing before you press the shutter release"?

(With film, I had 2 major bad habits: thinking I could fix things in the darkroom (which on occasion I did) and buying food, so I could not afford to develop my film immediately.  The second forced me to forget the circumstances under which I pressed the shutter, making a great deal of learning impossible.)

Aug 28 05 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

As a learning tool, digital is fantastic, simply because you can stop and think about what you are doing immediately before AND after you press the shutter.  One just needs the dedication to learn from his or her mistakes.

Aug 28 05 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I learned with film and spent hours/months/years in the darkroom.

But if you are going to shoot film, shoot 120 medium format.

Having 12 exposures will really make you stop and think.

Then again, one can learn much more quickly with digital.

I think I would be a different shooter today if I had always been working with digital.

Aug 28 05 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Brian Diaz wrote:

Why not pare it down to the crux of what you mean and say, "stop and think about what you are doing before you press the shutter release"?

(With film, I had 2 major bad habits: thinking I could fix things in the darkroom (which on occasion I did) and buying food, so I could not afford to develop my film immediately.  The second forced me to forget the circumstances under which I pressed the shutter, making a great deal of learning impossible.)

Brian, somehow you got in two replies in the time I took to type one.

I think pointless elitism can be a good ideal sometimes. Some of us are not as thoughtful as you seem to be naturally, so we need to be hit over the head every now and then to get our brains working.

Aug 28 05 05:56 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

shoot 8 x 10 or use the poloroid 20 x 24 machine.

Aug 28 05 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

The elitist manure gets shoveled deep around here.  It's getting hard to walk around.

It's more cost-effective for a beginner to learn with digital.  There are no worries about wasted film, the cost of film/processing vanishes and there's immediate feedback.  Not to mention the fact that digital gives the photographer near-complete control over processing.

The film format is on the way out.  Sure, film will always be around in some capacity, but digital has already become the "standard".  Why learn on nearly obsolete technology?

Besides ... someone who doesn't give a rat's butt about the "art" of photography isn't going to be magically changed by shooting with film.  Shooting film is not going to give the layperson an artistic ephiphany.

Aug 28 05 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:
PUT DOWN THE DIGITAL CAMERA and buy a film camera. Digital encourages you to become a ratio shooter. But when you have to pay for film it will force you to stop and think about what you are doing before you press the shutter release..

Once you have that down, then shoot digital. You will not have developed the bad habit of "I'll just fix it in post"

Thoughts?

I agree with you. However one thing came to mind from my own experience.

First: I have just recently added digital to my shooting - I have always shot transparency film.

Probably the most significant progression in the quality of my work early on, resulted from the purchase of a polaroid back for my Nikon. I could finally preview my lighting which was huge at the time.

Since digital in many respects, can be considered a "polaroid back on steroids" - particularly when teathered...

I think this aspect would be considered a good thing - creating ostensibly, better photographers (technically) more quickly....

No? Yes?

John

Aug 28 05 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

XtremeArtists wrote:
I think pointless elitism can be a good ideal sometimes.

I'm a proponent of elitism but not pointlessness.  The elitism should be for good work, not an arbitrary medium.

XA wrote:
Some of us are not as thoughtful as you seem to be naturally, so we need to be hit over the head every now and then to get our brains working.

Like an old TV or a stylist?

Aug 28 05 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

digital cowboy

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, US

If this suggestion is aimed at newbie photogs then I will agree to some extent. Although, I feel a general disdain for digital photographers altogether.
I think too, that to remain competitive, new photographer need to learn the art of digital photography as well as post production. Even BFA/MFA programs have gone way of digital offering digital pre-post production courses 1) to keep up with the times and technology and 2) to reduce their own program costs.
-=Jeff=-

Aug 28 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

jbex

It's not so much about the medium as what that medium breeds. It breeds laziness. It breeds bad photos for the most part.

It's just like the bad photographers who have high end 35mm or medium format set-ups...a bad phtographer is a bad photographer.
But just because someone has a digital camera and can point and click it and then upload their photos to a site such as this and then label themselves a photographer does a disservice to those of us who have slaved away for our craft.

Aug 28 05 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

jbex

Don't get me wrong though, a proper photograph is a proper photograph no matter how it was taken or constructed...whether it be darkrrom or photoshop.

I think the main frustration is that newbies lack respect for the craft.

Aug 28 05 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

jbex wrote:
I think the main frustration is that newbies lack respect for the craft.

That's a very good point--one with which I completely agree.

But I don't think that simply using film will change that any.  Slowing down and thinking will.  Film has nothing to do with it.

Aug 28 05 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
But I don't think that simply using film will change that any.  Slowing down and thinking will.  Film has nothing to do with it.

I'm not so sure about that... When you have to pay for your mistakes you tend to learn a little better.

Sorta like the more expensive beer is, the less it takes for me to get drunk...

I'm not saying go out and spend thousands of dollars on a film camera. A simple Nikon N80 or equivalent will suffice... I just think if you learn on film you will be better off when you switch to digital.

Aug 28 05 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

MHana wrote:
shoot 8 x 10

Can I use 4x5 roll film at least?

Aug 28 05 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Nah, I'll continuing shooting 100% digital.  If that is handicapping me from being as good as you film folk, that's fine.  I'm happy, the girls I shoot are happy.  That's all I care about.  And I still manage to improve each time.

I really don't know why you guys care so much about what other photogs are using.  It should only make you look better.

Are you next going to tell me only real photographers use Canon?

*sigh* I guess I can't do anything right.

Aug 28 05 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

No reason to attack. I'm simply starting a discussion that has nothing to do with "getting aroused during a shoot", "How to properly hit on a model", "How to get a knobber after the shoot"

And this discussion might actually help someone become a better photographer. I know it helped me.

Aug 28 05 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Brian Diaz wrote:
Like an old TV or a stylist?

Let's find a way to make all the threads refer to each other. I think that would be fun!!

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Maybe my adverse reaction has to do with the fact that I have a very small handful of photos from my film days of which I'm proud.  Sure, at that point I knew enough to teach at NYIP, but I feel that my education really began when I picked up a digital camera.

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
Are you next going to tell me only real photographers use Canon?

No, Nikon

Aug 28 05 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

jbex

I agree. Slopwing down and thinking will, but John has a good point as well. If you are forced to pay for your mistakes it'll slow you down vastly. I learned that lesson pretty quick. If they are shooting digital, we can only hope that they learn the self restraint and patience to slow down.

It's frustrating being a photographer these days. You get looked down on a lot and I think some of that is due to the digital revolution. Anyone with a digital camera now calls themselves a photographer and passes off banal and just plain bad photographs. But then we also have the guys who just want to see girls naked and are sleezy and call themselves photographers.

Ah well, what the hell do I know. smile I have a piece of crap Minolta x-370 that I bought off of ebay for way cheap.

Aug 28 05 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

John Jebbia wrote:

No reason to attack. I'm simply starting a discussion that has nothing to do with "getting aroused during a shoot", "How to properly hit on a model", "How to get a knobber after the shoot"

And this discussion might actually help someone become a better photographer. I know it helped me.

No attack was intended.  That's just my opinion of what you said.  I think your intentions are great, but I disagree with the methodology.

Aug 28 05 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

jbex

DigitalCMH wrote:
Nah, I'll continuing shooting 100% digital.  If that is handicapping me from being as good as you film folk, that's fine.  I'm happy, the girls I shoot are happy.  That's all I care about.  And I still manage to improve each time.

It's not so much the medium as what the medium breeds.. You can be a bad ass digital photographer, I know plenty and I see their books coming across my desk constantly. It's the surge in newbie folks who lack the respect for the craft in general. I know a bunch of crappy 35mm users as well and it is frustrating as well.

Keep on using digital if it works for you...

Aug 28 05 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

you're definately right, John.
I've learned much more from film cameras than from digital.
true talent comes from film.
that's why it will never be obsolete.

Aug 28 05 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

John Jebbia wrote:

No, Nikon

I guess I'm doing one thing right then big_smile

Aug 28 05 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

One more thing about learning with film as opposed to digital. Less freaking settings to worry about with film. No white balance, no contrast setting, no sharpness settings, no worries about which color space to shoot with, no worries about RAW vs JPG...

All I am saying is learn the basics on film. Shutter speed, film speed, type of film, aperture..  Then move on to the more advanced digital settings..

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Robert_Vega wrote:
true talent comes from film.
that's why it will never be obsolete.

Did I mention pointless elitism?

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

John Jebbia wrote:
One more thing about learning with film as opposed to digital. Less freaking settings to worry about with film. No white balance, no contrast setting, no sharpness settings, no worries about which color space to shoot with, no worries about RAW vs JPG...

All I am saying is learn the basics on film. Shutter speed, film speed, type of film, aperture..  Then move on to the more advanced digital settings..

What about TMax vs. Tri-X vs. HP5?  Contrast filters?  Hydroquinone?

Unsharp mask was a darkroom technique long before it was a Photoshop technique.

The same basics apply to digital cameras.

Aug 28 05 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

JhoneilC

Glendale, California, US

I think photographers should put down the camera and learn how to paint. I can imagine painters saying this when the camera was invented wink

Aug 28 05 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Unsharp mask was a darkroom technique long before it was a Photoshop technique.

I knew someone would get me on that.. and I was thinking about it as I typed.. I know choosing film, etc and darkroom techniques..

I'm talking true basics.. learning to control light, effects of DOF, lenses, shutter speed...

This post was for the true beginner. Not someone who already knows how to process their own film.

Besides, once you know which film to use in certain situations
the better prepared you will be to learn about white balance.

Aug 28 05 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Jhoneil wrote:
I think photographers should put down the camera and learn how to paint. I can imagine painters saying this when the camera was invented wink

That's honestly a fantastic idea.  Drawing and painting classes will teach you a lot about light and composition.

Aug 28 05 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

jbex wrote:
It's not so much the medium as what the medium breeds.. You can be a bad ass digital photographer, I know plenty and I see their books coming across my desk constantly. It's the surge in newbie folks who lack the respect for the craft in general. I know a bunch of crappy 35mm users as well and it is frustrating as well.

Keep on using digital if it works for you...

In this respect, I have to agree.  Without telling anyone where I work, we have a product that about 5 years ago was revolutionary but too expensive for anyone but professionals to use.  Professionals meaning, those using it to make money.  Current day, we have the same product but in a much more advanced state.  The quality now versus then is astounding.  With that improvement costs have been reduced.  Now retired people with cash on hand, amateurs, and other semi-pro people can now afford these products.  And sometimes, because of how ignorant these people are of digital technology from cameras, scanners, photoshop, computers, CPU speeds, OS versions, Mac vs Windows, we bang our heads on our desks wondering WHY WHY WHY are these people buying this stuff when they obviously haven't a clue how to use anything.

And they why is simply, in my opinion, because it is affordable to them.  Even if we feel they have no business being involved, they've got the cash.

This is good and bad. 

Bad, because you get knuckleheads trying to do something they have no talent or skills to do.

Good, because it has allowed people like me who does not have a lot of money to afford an awesome camera (Nikon D70) and discover a passion for a hobby that I have never had during my previous 32 years of life.

I owe my photography to digital.  I took some pictures back in the 90s with a film camera.  They came out so horrible that I quit.

Aug 28 05 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Brian Diaz wrote:
That's honestly a fantastic idea.  Drawing and painting classes will teach you a lot about light and composition.

You obviously have not seen any of my drawings wink

Aug 28 05 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
Without telling anyone where I work, we have a product that about 5 years ago was revolutionary but too expensive for anyone but professionals to use.  Professionals meaning, those using it to make money.

You work in a meth lab? I'm just kidding.

Aug 28 05 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

I shot film exclusively for 20 plus years, then several years back I got my first digital camera, a Nikon 995 CoolPix when it was one of the hotest digital cameras on the market, all 3.2 megapixels of it.  LOL.  I got the thing to essentially use as a Poloroid, for test shots I could see imediately, view the image, lighting, let the model see the comp, expressions, etc. before shooting with my "real" cameras...   

Funny thing happened, some of the best images were coming out on the digital camera, an expression, a look, something I couldn't recapture every time and no loss of image quality via negative or print scanning for web use, e-mails and the like.

When the Canon 10D came out, I went with it and began shooting about 75% digitally, and of the film, the majority of that was B&W.  Now with the Canon 20D, I'm almost entirely digital, easily 90%, but I still shoot film for the reason suggested, it makes you work harder knowing there's a limited number of frames being shot, the cost of film, processing, etc...

Aug 28 05 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

John Jebbia wrote:
You work in a meth lab? I'm just kidding.

I do not appreciate the outting!  There goes your discount!

Aug 28 05 06:47 pm Link