This thread was locked on 2018-07-16 04:29:41
Forums > Critique > TELL US WHY!... Avatar Critique!

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Select Models wrote:
Doncha just LOVE shoots like that?... I sure do!   Shoots were everything just clicks... besides the camera... lol

I do. I just wish they happened all the time!

Apr 19 18 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

With the cruiseboat photoshoot comin up in a few days... it's time to switchup the avatar to a REAL SUPERSTAR on Instagram with over 100,000 followers... it's PEZSI!... or JessicaE!... a 2 time cruiseboat photoshoot attendee... borat

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/131117/10/5289103046917.jpg

Apr 19 18 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I chose my avatar because it's a shot of Tasha Lancaster from our Lions Mag editorial. It's special to me because this was the first time we had ever worked together. We have since had other publications and over time, have become good friends. Currently her work has taken her to a mainstream Korean model agency and I'm definitely looking forward to her return so we can make more awesome shots together.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180421/02/5adaff05b29fb.jpg

Apr 21 18 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rik Williams wrote:
I chose my avatar because it's a shot of Tasha Lancaster from our Lions Mag editorial. It's special to me because this was the first time we had ever worked together. We have since had other publications and over time, have become good friends. Currently her work has taken her to a mainstream Korean model agency and I'm definitely looking forward to her return so we can make more awesome shots together.

Dude WOW... you have some STUNNING images on your portfolio.  I especially like the un-saturated color shots.  Those black and whites are amazing as well... and that 'blue corset wardrobe thingy' she's wearing in the avatar is truly unique... borat

Apr 21 18 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Select Models wrote:

Dude WOW... you have some STUNNING images on your portfolio.  I especially like the un-saturated color shots.  Those black and whites are amazing as well... and that 'blue corset wardrobe thingy' she's wearing in the avatar is truly unique... borat

Why thank you very much.
You've got some awesome work too, thanks for the big compliment, much appreciated!

Apr 22 18 04:37 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

In 'edit mode' this week... time to change the wallpaper to AmandaM... who just got off the 'Carnival Imagination' from the April 22 SM Cruiseboat Photoshoot! 

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/171214/15/5a3309010c4d3_m.jpg

Apr 29 18 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rik Williams wrote:

Why thank you very much.
You've got some awesome work too, thanks for the big compliment, much appreciated!

You're welcome... OK... who else is swapping out their older avatar for something fresh and new?

Apr 29 18 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

Select Models wrote:
In 'edit mode' this week... time to change the wallpaper to AmandaM... who just got off the 'Carnival Imagination' from the April 22 SM Cruiseboat Photoshoot!

Love it! Great dynamic image.

Apr 29 18 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Harlequins Mask wrote:
Love it! Great dynamic image.

Thanks... shot it with the Nikon D810... one of the best 'dynamic range' full frame cameras in the world.  Are you gonna 'swap out' your avatar soon?... anyone else?

Apr 29 18 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

Select Models wrote:
Are you gonna 'swap out' your avatar soon?... anyone else?

Thinking about it. I've had this one for quite a while and it's become almost a symbol for me, if you take my meaning.

Apr 30 18 04:09 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Select Models wrote:
This is 'storytell and critique your avatar on why its there'... tell us why you've selected your current avatar from all your images.  I will be rotating the avatar at least a few times a week, just to mix things up for this thread. 

Is it because of it's viewing popularity?... does it hold sentimental value?... does it remind you of someone?... some funtimes?... a great shoot or fantastic place?... was it taken recently?... is it an oldie but a goodie?  Time to spill the beans on your avatar image... GO!

My current avatar is a relatively current, clean, and honest.  I had a great time shooting with the photographer and getting to know him. I consider the photographer a friend, he is also.honest, kind, discerning and witty. All goodness.
Jen

Apr 30 18 07:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LotteConcepts

s-Hertogenbosch, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

"My brand" or vision, is giving models fresh and healthy make-up. Enhancing beauty rather than changing appearance.
I chose this picture to show that I eliminate flaws in the skin, but still let skin show.

May 01 18 04:42 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Jen B wrote:

My current avatar is a relatively current, clean, and honest.  I had a great time shooting with the photographer and getting to know him. I consider the photographer a friend, he is also.honest, kind, discerning and witty. All goodness.
Jen

Nice avatar Jen... I'm zippin thru your neighborhood on Friday on the way to Vegas... maybe we could meetup or possibly shoot... borat

May 01 18 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

LotteConcepts wrote:
"My brand" or vision, is giving models fresh and healthy make-up. Enhancing beauty rather than changing appearance.
I chose this picture to show that I eliminate flaws in the skin, but still let skin show.

Nice port... like the B&W shot... left a comment... wink

May 02 18 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

mesmericfoto

San Francisco, California, US

I just changed mine to an old shot that, for some reason, still reminds me of my foolishly idealistic photo youth.  It was our first, and only, shoot together and I just dug her mojo.  Something about that faucet head says to me, "Hello world!"  But I'm still kinda foolish.

May 02 18 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

mesmericfoto wrote:
I just changed mine to an old shot that, for some reason, still reminds me of my foolishly idealistic photo youth.  It was our first, and only, shoot together and I just dug her mojo.  Something about that faucet head says to me, "Hello world!"  But I'm still kinda foolish.

Cool shot... and DUDE... that might possibly be a '911 faucet call'... could be somebody stuck in a water tower... lol

May 02 18 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

mesmericfoto

San Francisco, California, US

Select Models wrote:
Cool shot... and DUDE... that might possibly be a '911 faucet call'... could be somebody stuck in a water tower... lol

Nice!  But not to worry, it was a collect call and no one accepted the "charges".

May 03 18 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

mesmericfoto wrote:

Nice!  But not to worry, it was a collect call and no one accepted the "charges".

Interesting... but didn't 'collect calls' go out in the 90s with the phone booths?  Now cell providers are collectin bigtime on every call... lol

May 04 18 01:21 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Here's Angelina Lucia on Catalina Island... saving 1000s of people from drowning on the Carnival Imagination cruiseship.  Quite an imagination indeed huh!... lol

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180430/19/5ae7cac874de6_m.jpg

May 09 18 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Summer is coming up so decided to make my avatar "summer" themed. What's more summer than "girl on the beach". I prefer a more "fun in the sun vibe" than "glamorous and sexy".More Sports Illustrated: Swimsuit Edition than Maxim:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/avatars/1/1/5/8/0/3/9/5af3861e5401f_m.jpg

May 09 18 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Rik Williams wrote:

Wow - What a Look !

May 09 18 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Francisco Castro wrote:
Summer is coming up so decided to make my avatar "summer" themed. What's more summer than "girl on the beach". I prefer a more "fun in the sun vibe" than "glamorous and sexy".More Sports Illustrated: Swimsuit Edition than Maxim:

WOW... that is some SERIOUSLY blue water... was it warm or cold?

May 10 18 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Francisco Castro wrote:

Select Models wrote:

It was the warm; summertime Gulf of Mexico waters in Clearwater, Florida. The water isn't blue there. Sort of a greenish tint. However, the sky was very clear and blue that day and the water was mirroring the sky at certain right angles. If you shoot with the sun in front of you, you get green waters. Shoot with the sun behind you, you get blue.

May 11 18 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Francisco Castro wrote:
It was the warm; summertime Gulf of Mexico waters in Clearwater, Florida. The water isn't blue there. Sort of a greenish tint. However, the sky was very clear and blue that day and the water was mirroring the sky at certain right angles. If you shoot with the sun in front of you, you get green waters. Shoot with the sun behind you, you get blue.

Waycool info... thanks for the heads up.  Have never shot in Florida... good to know... borat

May 11 18 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

Select Models wrote:

Not to derail the thread...if you're on the west coast of Australia (thinking near Perth) and shooting as the sun sets over a beach, there's a period of just a few seconds as the sun vanishes over the horizon where the sea becomes green for a few seconds. The locals all know about it, but if you're shooting it's a bit disconcerting the first time it happens. However if you turn so that you're shooting at an angle of about 30 degrees or more to the sunset, you don't see it. Weird.

May 11 18 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Harlequins Mask wrote:
Not to derail the thread...if you're on the west coast of Australia (thinking near Perth) and shooting as the sun sets over a beach, there's a period of just a few seconds as the sun vanishes over the horizon where the sea becomes green for a few seconds. The locals all know about it, but if you're shooting it's a bit disconcerting the first time it happens. However if you turn so that you're shooting at an angle of about 30 degrees or more to the sunset, you don't see it. Weird.

Interesting... OK... so not to derail your comment... but say I want to shoot half a dozen models and get 'that green effect' within that 'few seconds' time period... AND... at something other than the 30 degree angle you mentioned... what do you think my odds are on accomplishing this successfully?... hmm   lol

May 12 18 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Figure Fantasy

Lexington, Kentucky, US

1) it was a fun shoot
2) it meets the size requirements to be an avatar
3) it isn't an 18+ image

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180512/14/5af7622d4d1c4_m.jpg

May 12 18 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

Select Models wrote:
Interesting... OK... so not to derail your comment... but say I want to shoot half a dozen models and get 'that green effect' within that 'few seconds' time period... AND... at something other than the 30 degree angle you mentioned... what do you think my odds are on accomplishing this successfully?... hmm   lol

Probably better than mine, which failed completely as soon as I started trying...

May 12 18 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jen B wrote:

Jen

Your avatar is beautiful!

May 12 18 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Harlequins Mask wrote:
Not to derail the thread...if you're on the west coast of Australia (thinking near Perth) and shooting as the sun sets over a beach, there's a period of just a few seconds as the sun vanishes over the horizon where the sea becomes green for a few seconds.

the green flash at sunset

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde … 510AAf9uSZ

"There were a series of articles in "Scientific American" magazine on the Green Flash back in the 1960s. People were not sure they were really seeing something real or just experiencing color fatigue in their eyes from looking at the sun set. It was determined by using photography that it was a real event although rare."

May 13 18 05:18 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Francisco Castro wrote:

Also, a polarizing filter can kill the blue and turn the water green

May 13 18 05:21 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Mark Salo wrote:

Also, a polarizing filter can kill the blue and turn the water green

Cool... gotta try that... been a few years since I've owned a polarizer... wink

May 13 18 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

Mark Salo wrote:
the green flash at sunset

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde … 510AAf9uSZ

"There were a series of articles in "Scientific American" magazine on the Green Flash back in the 1960s. People were not sure they were really seeing something real or just experiencing color fatigue in their eyes from looking at the sun set. It was determined by using photography that it was a real event although rare."

Thank you! My compliments.

May 14 18 02:38 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Harlequins Mask wrote:

Probably better than mine, which failed completely as soon as I started trying...

Does ANYONE actually have photos of these freaky occurance?

May 15 18 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Harlequins Mask wrote:

Select Models wrote:
Does ANYONE actually have photos of these freaky occurance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwus2nqU0SY

May 15 18 08:21 am Link

Model

_sanguine_

Blacksburg, Virginia, US

It might sound weird, but I picked mine because I think it's kind of strange, and there are definitely some things that are "wrong" with it, but it doesn't look like any other models' avatar in my area, and I feel that so far it's helped me attract the type of photographers I want to work with in terms of style, and I have a handful of shots booked in the future with photographers whose portfolios I really like. Once my portfolio is expanded I'll replace it with something better, but with a similar vibe.

May 15 18 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

_sanguine_ wrote:
It might sound weird, but I picked mine because I think it's kind of strange, and there are definitely some things that are "wrong" with it, but it doesn't look like any other models' avatar in my area, and I feel that so far it's helped me attract the type of photographers I want to work with in terms of style, and I have a handful of shots booked in the future with photographers whose portfolios I really like. Once my portfolio is expanded I'll replace it with something better, but with a similar vibe.

Nice avatar... big fan of black and white here... borat

May 15 18 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

_sanguine_ wrote:
I feel that so far it's helped me attract the type of photographers I want to work with in terms of style, and I have a handful of shots booked in the future with photographers whose portfolios I really like. Once my portfolio is expanded I'll replace it with something better, but with a similar vibe.

Personally, I think it's great. And good thinking too.

May 16 18 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Harlequins Mask wrote:

Personally, I think it's great. And good thinking too.

Totally agree... that's why I started this thread.  The one sentence discription offered by MM on your images many times does NOT provide enough information on the 'how-what-when-where and why'... wink

May 17 18 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

This weekend's Comic-Con was cool... so what the heck!... lol

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180520/22/5b025ee811e2c_m.jpg

May 20 18 11:51 pm Link