Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > NFL Anthem Rules

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

What Fun Productions wrote:
The players disrespected the flag. They knew what they were doing. They did not care.

1)  Any perceived flag disrespect is on you.  It's an opinion.
2)  They claim they didn't intent to disrespect the flag -- I see no evidence that they "knew what they were doing".
3)  Seems pretty clear that they do care.  (And yes, that's my opinion).  Them "not caring" suits your narrative, but
     there's nothing to support your supposition.

This talk about alleged disrespecting the flag is just a smokescreen, taking attention away from the subject at hand and does nothing but continue dividing us on a very important subject.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but stop derailing the narrative.

May 29 18 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I think I "do" Memorial Day all wrong.

First & foremost, I absolutely do appreciate the soldiers of our country, especially the ones who made the ultimate sacrifice. 

Then I got to thinking -- what about the police and/or firefighters who gave their all in the line of duty?  Is it okay to honor them on Memorial Day?

Then I searched for a word & settled on "fortunate"/  I am fortunate that I don't personally know anyone who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.  I do know some police & firefighters, and I was a firefighter for a little while), but again none who died in the line of duty.  Thus, for me, Memorial Day is more abstract & less personal.

Then I started thinking about "heroes".  Let's be honest -- some of the fallen service people died doing mundane things, like driving drunk or falling out of a window (and not falling in combat).  I think I concluded that that's okay -- those service people joined the service and walked away from a cushy life close to family & friends -- that's a kind of sacrifice, too.

Then things got derailed a bit:

1)  There have been a big lot of military actions that I did not agree with.  But the way things stand, it's impossible to question the government without "appearing" to be disrespectful or critical of veterans & service people.  How can one say "we should not invade Iraq" without appearing to be unsupportive of the folks in service?

2)  I got to think about all sorts of heroes. 
     a)  For example:  those college students who died at Kent State.  Are they heroes?  They made the
          ultimate sacrifice, and by doing so, I think they mostly changed our country for the better.
     b)  While I didn't know anyone who died, I did know one of the women involved in the Tailhook Scandal.
          Despite immense pressure to shut up, she stood up for herself & for the other females involved.
          Doesn't that count as heroism?
     c)  What about all those kids who died in school shootings?  Are they not heroes, too?

3)  I am cynical & skeptical, and I believe that our government learned a lot during the Vietnam War.  In particular, they learned to control the news.  In the 1960s, news organizations had unfettered access, and they shared the atrocities of war.  There were bloody photographs, photographs of coffins arriving home, and daily body counts (ours & theirs) reported on the evening news.  Nowadays, reportage is tightly, tightly controlled.  For example, you don't see bloody pictures at school shootings or battlegrounds.  So how much of how we feel about Memorial Day is the result government manipulation?  I don't know.

So, I don't do Memorial Day well.

May 29 18 11:26 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Another opinion:

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/33436574_2113667502207306_7497667611979677696_n.png?_nc_cat=1&oh=4cd81f9e228e61c987f30ff60b982f28&oe=5B8D041A

Yes, another opinion. From yet another non-veteran telling me what I should feel about how the flag is treated. From a guy who has never been outside professional sports, and hasnt got a clue what serving in the military means.

He understands the folly of the administration telling us how we should feel, then does it himself. Can you say hypocrisy?

You will forgive me, (I hope) if I dont give much (any) weight to his opinion.

What is so hard for you to understand? Regardless of how many people you trot out to tell us that it wasnt meant to be offensive, to many thousands of Americans, whether veterans or not, Kaepernick and his followers have chosen a form of protest that is offensive, and in ----my---- opinion, buries his real message.

As I keep saying, I believe Kaepernick has a valid reason to protest. I believe he had a right to protest. I believe he chose the wrong forum, and I believe he is paying the price for a poor career (commercial) choice, not his political beliefs.

May 29 18 12:06 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

At least one owner, of the Jets, has indicated that this is about higher ideals than money.

The interesting thing is that one of the critics of the Jet's owner's statements is a representative for Long Island, who likened the kneeling to supporting the Nazi's (very fine people), the klan and the NRA.  There you have it.  Supporting anti discrimination is like supporting the klan.  smile  Supporting the rights of the people under the First Amendment is horrible specifically the rights of the people to petition the government (which the NRA does on behalf of some people), and the scourge of the country- those that support the Second Amendment. Argument over!  We have been defined!  The people who support the protest are supporters of both the First and Second Amendments.   The ones who don't support the protest detest the First and Second Amendments according to the Republican Representative Pete King from New York.

May 29 18 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

rfordphotos wrote:
Yes, another opinion. From another non-veteran telling me what I should feel about how the flag is treated. From a guy who has never been outside professional sports, and hasnt got a clue what serving in the military means.

He understands the folly of the administration telling us how we should feel, then does it himself. Can you say hypocrisy?

You will forgive me, (I hope) if I dont give much (any) weight to his opinion.

What is so hard for you to understand? ...

There's nothing to forgive -- you are entitled to how you feel.  I got no problem with that.  Well, to be totally truthful, there are too many people (especially politicians) who put forward hypotheses & opinions as if they were facts -- e.g. "school shootings happen because schools have too many doors".  As a skeptic & a pseudo-scientist, I kinda want some proof before I accept their premises.

My point about offering counter-arguments is to show that there isn't consensus about whether kneeling at the anthem is or is not intended to be disrespectful to the flag and/or veterans.  There is no "right" and "wrong"; there are only opinions here.

So, let's assume that I understand, or if you prefer, we can assume that I don't understand.  It doesn't matter.

What matters is this:  Do we have a problem in this country with police brutality against people of color?  Do people of color have a point about their perception of injustice?  If so, what can or should be done about that?

May 29 18 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

1)  Any perceived flag disrespect is on you.  It's an opinion.
2)  They claim they didn't intent to disrespect the flag -- I see no evidence that they "knew what they were doing".
3)  Seems pretty clear that they do care.  (And yes, that's my opinion).  Them "not caring" suits your narrative, but
     there's nothing to support your supposition.

This talk about alleged disrespecting the flag is just a smokescreen, taking attention away from the subject at hand and does nothing but continue dividing us on a very important subject.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but stop derailing the narrative.

Here it is from the horses mouth."
"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.
Colin Kaepernick

It was always intended to disrespect the flag. If you still don't understand that, please re-read the quote again.  Let it sink in...

May 29 18 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

On a vaguely parallel note:  ABC Cancels "Roseanne".

May 29 18 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Here it is from the horses mouth.
"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.
Colin Kaepernick

It was always intended to disrespect the flag. If you still don't understand that, please re-read the quote again.  Let it sink in...

Give it up, What Fun.  To me, that quote shows that his action was all about his opposition to "a country that oppresses black people and people of color", and says nothing about an intention to disrespect the flag.  It's about expressing a criticism of our country, which the flag as a symbol says he has the right to do. 

Sorry -- that quote is not proof -- it's open to interpretation.  The issue is about oppression of ... people of color and in no way indicates an intention to disrespect the flag.

And in a racially charged discussion, it might not be appropriate to call someone a "horse".

May 29 18 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

First & foremost, I absolutely do appreciate the soldiers of our country, especially the ones who made the ultimate sacrifice. 
Then I got to thinking -- what about the police and/or firefighters who gave their all in the line of duty?  Is it okay to honor them on Memorial Day?

[...]So, I don't do Memorial Day well.

Firefighters have their day. By Public Law 107–51 all flags on public building are lowered to half mast to coincide with the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service annually.

Fallen police officers have their day. Public Law 87-726  authorized and requested the President to designate May 15 of each year as "Peace Officers Memorial Day," and the week in which it falls as "National Police Week" and by Public Law 103-322 has requested that the flag be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers' Memorial Day.

I would never for one second wish to minimize my admiration for all who serve as police and firefighters. I was a part time firefighter for a couple years, and I can tell you those that make a career of it earn your admiration every day.

A local bridge is named after one of my friends, a guy I hunted deer with for years... a serving police detective killed while attempting to arrest a murder suspect. So I have some idea of their sacrifice.

So, you can certainly remember anyone you want to on Memorial Day. But, I dont really think one day a year is too much to ask to just remember the folks who died not just for your town, not just for your local security, but for entire the nation.

May 29 18 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

rfordphotos wrote:
So, you can certainly remember anyone you want to on Memorial Day. But, I dont really think one day a year is too much to ask to just remember the folks who died not just for your town, not just for your local security, but for entire the nation.

I agree -- one day is not too much.  But like I said, with no personal history to connect, the pure objective of Memorial Day is somewhat abstract to me.  So, I'm easily distracted, especially this time around.

Memorial Day, at its roots, started soon after the Civil War with people putting flowers on the graves of fallen soldiers, regardless of which side on which they fought.  It was intended to help heal & reunite the country!  Nowadays, it seems that politicians are striving to divide us, which is the opposite intention of the original purpose of Memorial Day.

May 29 18 01:04 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I am fortunate that I don't personally know anyone who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.  I do know some police & firefighters, and I was a firefighter for a little while), but again none who died in the line of duty.  Thus, for me, Memorial Day is more abstract & less personal.

Maybe you'd have a different take on all of this if you did.  I know you're a white man living in crunchy/granola-loving Portland but most people care about people dying.  Black people die for our country too.  White people get shot unjustly not just in war. 

If you have such reverie for firefighters and police, give a damn about the military too.  You don't have to be in the military to honor America and the flag.

May 29 18 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

rfordphotos wrote:
Yes, another opinion. From yet another non-veteran telling me what I should feel about how the flag is treated. From a guy who has never been outside professional sports, and hasnt got a clue what serving in the military means.

On further thought -- this is a logical fallacy, assuming only veterans can determine what is or is not disrespectful to the flag.  See Argument from authority.

On a similar tangent -- can a white person speak about the oppression of people of color in this country?  Can a man be a feminist?

Okay -- Here's a quote from a veteran.

May 29 18 01:15 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/de/f7/f0/def7f0826311484036f03dc71e453bb4.png

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/70/cb/9b70cb1f4190738f56881e5d3ebf2a1d.jpg

https://www.kentucky.com/opinion/editorial-cartoons/joel-pett/u2h7wx/picture98764102/alternates/FREE_1140/20160830pettRGB

May 29 18 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

One of life's little ironies...

I just finish reading about how these protests aren't about racial injustice, but are about disrespecting veterans and the flag.

Then I switch to the news and read about the group of veterans and the mural they painted in protest.  The mural happens to be an upside down U.S. flag with the stars replaced by crosses. Their chosen form of protest.

May 29 18 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Give it up, What Fun.  To me, that quote shows that his action was all about his opposition to "a country that oppresses black people and people of color", and says nothing about an intention to disrespect the flag.  It's about expressing a criticism of our country, which the flag as a symbol says he has the right to do. 

Sorry -- that quote is not proof -- it's open to interpretation.  The issue is about oppression of ... people of color and in no way indicates an intention to disrespect the flag.

And in a racially charged discussion, it might not be appropriate to call someone a "horse".

"Horse," you are too much!  Everything is identity politics to you. LOL

Americans of all colors are offended by the players actions. The players protest has HURT their own cause. It's too bad.

May 29 18 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

LightDreams wrote:
One of life's little ironies...

I just finish reading about how these protests aren't about racial injustice, but are about disrespecting veterans and the flag.

Then I switch to the news and read about the group of veterans and the mural they painted in protest.  The mural happens to be an upside down U.S. flag with the stars replaced by crosses. Their chosen form of protest.

That is their first amendment right. God bless them!

May 29 18 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

[...]

1)  There have been a big lot of military actions that I did not agree with.  But the way things stand, it's impossible to question the government without "appearing" to be disrespectful or critical of veterans & service people.  How can one say "we should not invade Iraq" without appearing to be unsupportive of the folks in service?

Really? Cant be critical of the govt. and not appear to criticize the military or veterans?

Several of the 21 Senators who voted against the Iraqi war were veterans... They had no problem speaking up..... Several were decorated, and at least one, Daniel Inouye, had a Medal of Honor. I think they believed (as do I ) that voting their true beliefs was not only ---not--- "disrespecting" veterans or the military but the best and highest possible way to respect their sacrifices.

I didnt have any problem whatsoever writing countless letters opposing the invasion of Iraq, and our involvement in Afghanistan.

I think you will find MANY anti-war veterans who have no problem voicing their concerns without ever disrespecting the military or other veterans.

If you cant find a way to question the govt's proposed military actions without appearing to disrespect the vets or the military---as you say---thats on you.

May 29 18 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

On further thought -- this is a logical fallacy, assuming only veterans can determine what is or is not disrespectful to the flag.  See Argument from authority.

On a similar tangent -- can a white person speak about the oppression of people of color in this country?  Can a man be a feminist?

Okay -- Here's a quote from a veteran.

no logical fallacy there- never said a word about non vets having or not having an opinion. Just said that in this instance, their opinions about disrespecting the flag dont hold much weight with -me-.

May 29 18 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Several posters have said (and I won't name them, as I'm reacting to the idea, and not the speaker) some things somewhere along the lines of how it's unfair to tell a vet how to feel about the flag, or that unless you fought for our country you can't really understand. Some of these comments were pretty straightforward, agree-to-disagree, and others were not.

As someone who has never served, but has vets in the family (including a grandfather who was disowned by his parents after enlisting to fight his home country), let me ask you this: what do you want civilians to do?

You say it's not fair for them to judge, but many of you have been fine with judging US. Are you suggesting that we should all serve before we're allowed to express an opinion on the matter? Should we have to serve before we have an opinion on military budget and foreign aid? Before we vote? Does that mean that we don't need to pay taxes to support those things either, or just that we should give up our money and shut up?

I could be wrong, but I thought that the whole reason for having a professional military was so that civilians didn't have to fight; it's rarely said, but well understood that 'thank you for your service' means 'thank you for doing it for us, so I didn't have to.' This is never more true then when those words are spoken by a politician.

There's no draft. That means that the system is working - enough people are willing to make a sacrifice that the rest of us don't need to. And boy howdy, do we appreciate that. You fought for the ability of each and every one of us to have our freedoms and opinions.

And now some of you are telling us that we don't deserve those freedoms and opinions, because we let you fight for us. Personally, I don't recall getting a letter in the mail asking if I was okay with Bob Smith joining the Army, and asking if I wanted to take his place. Bob made that decision on his own, and it doesn't reflect on me in the least - I'm the same citizen I was before he joined up.

I'll let you guys have the internal conversation with yourself as to if you're one of those people and what that means, but I think some of you may have your priorities a little backwards. If serving in the military is a prerequisite for having an opinion about our flag or our country, then it doesn't sound like we have that much freedom at all.

Yes, I do expect a lot of hate for this reply. No, I will not be responding to it. No, I do not think everyone will actually consider what I've said before angrily posting about how much I hate our troops.

But if you think that in a democracy (republic, whatever) the freedoms and opinions of cilivians ought to be secondary to the military, then - as much as I appreciate your service - you might want to re-read the Constitution before you start telling people what they get to believe.

May 29 18 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

rfordphotos wrote:

Really? Cant be critical of the govt. and not appear to criticize the military or veterans?

Several of the 21 Senators who voted against the Iraqi war were veterans... They had no problem speaking up..... Several were decorated, and at least one, Daniel Inouye, had a Medal of Honor. I think they believed (as do I ) that voting their true beliefs was not only ---not--- "disrespecting" veterans or the military but the best and highest possible way to respect their sacrifices.

I didnt have any problem whatsoever writing countless letters opposing the invasion of Iraq, and our involvement in Afghanistan.

I think you will find MANY anti-war veterans who have no problem voicing their concerns without ever disrespecting the military or other veterans.

If you cant find a way to question the govt's proposed military actions without appearing to disrespect the vets or the military---as you say---thats on you.

back then, yeah - you could be critical while bring respectful. Now, not so much.

Now we have so many politicians (not just the one) using vets as pawns that EVERYTHING is critical of vets, even when it's not.

Remember our government shutdown a few months back? Dems wouldn't vote on a spending bill until DACA was addressed; Republicans countered by saying that since a shutdown would freeze vet services and pensions, that showed that Dems cared more about undocumented immigrants than the troops.

Bam, instant vet hate, from an issue that had zero to do with the military.

So no ... In today's climate, it's not possible to criticize any aspect of our country without some idiot recasting it as hating the troops.

May 29 18 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
[...]
So no ... In today's climate, it's not possible to criticize any aspect of our country without some idiot recasting it as hating the troops.

Sorry to hear you feel that way Zack.

With respect, maybe you should stop listening to the fanatical voices screaming at either end of the political spectrum. I know they both support the sentiment of hopelessness you express, each in their own ways.

If you listen closely, there are a lot more voices coming from the center, where people are still talking to one another, where compromise isnt seen as a dirty word. Populism will pass. The center is stronger now than it was before the last election cycle, and it will continue growing in strength as long as both extremes continue the paralyzing divisive tactics they are using now.

May 29 18 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

I'm a DD-214 Alumni. To paraphrase Hall/Voltaire, "I disapprove of your protest, but I shall defend to the death your right to do so."

May 29 18 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
[...]

Remember our government shutdown a few months back? Dems wouldn't vote on a spending bill until DACA was addressed; Republicans countered by saying that since a shutdown would freeze vet services and pensions, that showed that Dems cared more about undocumented immigrants than the troops.

Bam, instant vet hate, from an issue that had zero to do with the military.

[...]

Zack- politicians have been using veterans as cudgels against their political foes for decades. It isnt anything new. If politicians actually gave a shit about vets, the VA wouldnt be the decades long scandal that it is.

/end hijack---------- sorry back to OP's topic.....I will shut up.

May 29 18 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I am fortunate that I don't personally know anyone who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.  I do know some police & firefighters, and I was a firefighter for a little while), but again none who died in the line of duty.  Thus, for me, Memorial Day is more abstract & less personal.

Jules NYC wrote:
Maybe you'd have a different take on all of this if you did.  I know you're a white man living in crunchy/granola-loving Portland but most people care about people dying.  Black people die for our country too.  White people get shot unjustly not just in war. 

If you have such reverie for firefighters and police, give a damn about the military too.  You don't have to be in the military to honor America and the flag.

I think this post is unjustified & uncalled for.  I don't see how ragging on my home town diminishes my points or strengthen yours.  Look at the very first statement, the one in underlined bold -- I am greatly appreciative of our military, even when I disagree with how the politicians spend that loyalty & faith.

May 29 18 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

SOME Americans of all colors are offended by the players actions, AND SOME ARE NOT.

Fixed that for you.

The players protest has HURT their own cause. It's too bad.

I've said from the very first post that this is a poorly perceived & executed protest.

May 29 18 05:29 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

rfordphotos wrote:

JQuest wrote:
I'm a DD-214 Alumni. To paraphrase Hall/Voltaire, "I disapprove of your protest, but I shall defend to the death your right to do so."

Thank you guys.  And it isn't because I didn't have to go that I say so.

May 29 18 05:48 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Jules NYC wrote:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/de/f7/f0/def7f0826311484036f03dc71e453bb4.png

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/70/cb/9b70cb1f4190738f56881e5d3ebf2a1d.jpg

https://www.kentucky.com/opinion/editorial-cartoons/joel-pett/u2h7wx/picture98764102/alternates/FREE_1140/20160830pettRGB

Funny stuff.  Got any from the perspective of black people?

You know, it was because of a suggestion during a conversation with a vet, also a ball player, that he stopped sitting and started kneeling.

May 29 18 05:51 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

I talked to my father once about why he went into the army to fight in Korea.  He could have been exempted from the military due to a heart problem related to one of those disease that have all but been eradicated.  He mentioned my Uncles as a reason and what they had done in WW2.  They all survived.  One was wounded in the bulge and another had significant medical issues as a result of his service.  The war hurt all of them in a way.  The wounded one: I don't think he ever got the chance to graduate high school before the war. Another family member, from another side, was in Bastogne.  He is still alive.  My father felt there wasn't even a choice  about Korea considering what his brother and brother in laws had done.  By the time it was my turn, I had two cousins serve in Vietnam.  One I didn't know well and I never did get to know him.  My brother drew a draft number near the end of the war that wasn't quite low enough.  A few years before, it would have been.  The war was over before I turned 18.  I did one semester of NROTC in college.  I knew enough to know that I wasn't cut out for the military.  I have a  significant problem with authority.  smile   I never had to face my father's dilemma because there weren't any wars until Reagan.  The country just didn't have an appetite for war at that time.   

I also remember being on the roof of our house, helping my father, when a hippie van stopped in front, backed up, and someone jumped out and stole the American flag that was on my neighbor's light post.  We all knew what was going to happen to that.  I haven't talked to the other cousin that went to Vietnam for a while.  Last time it came up, he still pretty much hated Hanoi Jane and Tom Cruise for Vietnam related issues.  All these guys, and never once, despite the differences in the way things were when they grew up, where never against equal treatment for everybody.  I was never told by the men in my faulty to not date cross culturally.  My dad reminded me that a first generation Chinese American was interested in me from time to time.  My dad talked about the black friends he had growing up.  Some old black men would come up to my uncle's farm and hunt.  Sometimes with us, but mostly they were old enough that they were happy to sit down and wait out some squirrels.  People have tried to tell me that it just wasn't possible that my parents could have had black friends.  Not that generation. 

I had some issues with groups of black kids in high school.  I have had some issues with groups of white people too.  When it comes to dealing with men, in groups or alone, the worst ones are the ones with a beer in their hand.  White women- yeah, met some pretty mean white women too.

I do not have a grudge against anyone for seeing this issue differently than I do.   I don't like it if that opinion seems to come out of racism, though, because racism just isn't based in reason or logic.  It isn't Christian, despite it being endemic in the church.   Some of 'em anyway.  And despite our history, racism is not an American ideal.  It is something that needs to be left on the ash heap of history. 

I have seen this country attacked with airplanes.  There was an engine a half block from my New York dance teacher's studio. I was suppose to be there later that week.  I have seen this country attacked by people in the forums, both from inside and outside of the US.  Despite all the problems we have, this is still a damn good place to live.  Are we really going to ignore injustice because someone went about protesting it the wrong way?

May 29 18 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

rfordphotos wrote:

Zack- politicians have been using veterans a cudgels against their political foes for decades. It isnt anything new. If politicians actually gave a shit about vets, the VA wouldnt be the decades long scandal that it is.

/end hijack---------- sorry back to OP's topic.....I will shut up.

Yeah, but Twitter makes it different.

In the old days, a politician would spend time and money coming up with combat fatigue instead of shell shock, so the situation sounds less severe and they can justify cutting funding or services. All that stuff went through layer upon layer of filters, to the point where (a) it had a chance to get shot down or at least be discussed, and (b) it becomes significantly less inflammatory. Now they just spew whatever comes to mind so they can be first in the discussion, and blame a staffer if it goes pear shaped.

It's nice to easily identify racists, classists, etc. - you can push through a lot more when you focus test "urban" as a racial replacement. But by and large,I don't think it's an improvement.

May 29 18 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

rfordphotos wrote:
Sorry to hear you feel that way Zack.

With respect, maybe you should stop listening to the fanatical voices screaming at either end of the political spectrum. I know they both support the sentiment of hopelessness you express, each in their own ways.

If you listen closely, there are a lot more voices coming from the center, where people are still talking to one another, where compromise isnt seen as a dirty word. Populism will pass. The center is stronger now than it was before the last election cycle, and it will continue growing in strength as long as both extremes continue the paralyzing divisive tactics they are using now.

I think in time, what you say will be true. It sounds like a cop-out, but we're a very young nation, compared to most of Europe and Asia, and we've been fortunate to have avoided much of what they have gone through. We had a civil war. Singular.  We've never been occupied ... Unless you count the very beginning, of course. I could stop there and we'd already be pretty far ahead.

But that only happens because we've been fairly good at shouting down the loonies. After all, it only takes one Louis XIV, or whomever, to totally throw things out of wack.

I agree that it will get better, but I think that requires calling out injustice and radical beliefs - not just expecting that they'll sort themselves out in time.

May 29 18 06:25 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Funny stuff.  Got any from the perspective of black people?

You know, it was because of a suggestion during a conversation with a vet, also a ball player, that he stopped sitting and started kneeling.

Political cartoonists are great because they clearly illustrate what’s going on usually from every view.

The reason a black man is sitting is because of a black problem/law enforcement. Yes, he has every right to do what he’s doing. You keep hearing white privilege being thrown around a lot. Completely different from being financially privileged. It’s just amazing to me how blessed this man is ($) who has the financial means to voice his opinion about this very issue anywhere but the game.

https://goo.gl/images/qXu6wA

There is probably a bunch from this link you can check out from every side of the issue.
Any vet that I’ve ever talked to (and I worked with MANY), loved their country/flag, etc.

Found it.

He talked to a Green Beret, Nate Boyer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnati … nal-anthem

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/201 … em-bts.cnn

His fellow Green Berets & other vets not so happy with Boyer.
http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco- … nths-later

Boyer was honorably discharged and was healthy enough to play football.

Interesting take in Boyer’s second open letter. Still don’t agree with him but he does make a good point about the country’s divide.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2100 … es-america

Confused though how standing like everyone else would have shown protest.

That's how it all started with Colin and I, neither of us knew that kneeling would be the result of our conversation. Colin wanted to sit, I wanted him to stand, and so we found a common ground on a knee alongside his teammates.

May 29 18 11:09 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I think this post is unjustified & uncalled for.  I don't see how ragging on my home town diminishes my points or strengthen yours.  Look at the very first statement, the one in underlined bold -- I am greatly appreciative of our military, even when I disagree with how the politicians spend that loyalty & faith.

You really need to ease up on what your town is but sorry if you’re offended.
I think you are watering your point of view with your ‘I care about the troops’ theme because most of what you’ve been saying doesn’t reflect that.

Some vets may agree with you, some may not.

This issue upset a lot of people, many with opposing views which of course we’re all free to have.

May 29 18 11:17 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

May 30 18 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Jules NYC wrote:
You really need to ease up on what your town is but sorry if you’re offended.
I think you are watering your point of view with your ‘I care about the troops’ theme because most of what you’ve been saying doesn’t reflect that.

To be clear -- I don't give a hoot about what you think about my home town.  My point is that your opinion about my town contributes nothing to this debate. 

All the rest -- also contributes nothing.  It's another logical fallacy to appear to lessen the strength of my arguments by belittling me or claiming that you know me better (and that I'm lying).  It ain't that simple.

Here's a hint -- address the topic & not the speaker, and yes, I am aware I'm not doing that right now.  Apologies.

May 30 18 08:49 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

To be clear -- I don't give a hoot about what you think about my home town.  My point is that your opinion about my town contributes nothing to this debate. 

All the rest -- also contributes nothing.  It's another logical fallacy to appear to lessen the strength of my arguments by belittling me or claiming that you know me better (and that I'm lying).  It ain't that simple.

Here's a hint -- address the topic & not the speaker, and yes, I am aware I'm not doing that right now.  Apologies.

I don't care about your town either but I do care about this topic.  Here's not a hint, here's a direct statement: Your 'care' about the military is not convincing if you read through your own thread.

The topic is one you created; you should be able to discuss it.  Honing in on the smallest of slights (in your mind) is counter-intuitive.  This discussion is not really a debate either.  It's just a bunch of people sharing their thoughts, not trying to win a prize here for the best answer.

You can't take one's opinion away about anything really.  I haven't read anything you've written that seems like you genuinely mean what you're saying.

May 30 18 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Clearly, I've found this topic to be thought provoking.  Here's some of my latest thoughts.

When I was a team leader, I remember having a discussion about how to set priorities.  I used an analogy:
     Your daughter wants a cookie; your son is on fire.  What do you do?

Here's how I think this applies to this conversation:

Your Daughter Wants A Cookie.
Apologies in advance to those who disagree, but I can't accept that Kaepernick's actions rise to the level of "disrespect for the flag".  Here's my thinking:
...  He did not burn the flag.
...  He did not pull the flag down & stomped on it.
...  He did not cut up or otherwise destroy the flag.
...  He did not display the flag at all, let alone upside down or backwards.
...  He did not modify the flag.
...  He did not use the flag as a bandana to wipe sweat from his brow.
...  He did not choose to display the confederate flag in the place of the stars & stripes.
...  He did not attempt to prevent others from standing or kneeling as they saw fit.
...  He did not seek attention with his actions -- the media sought him out.

Indeed, under all other circumstances I can think of, kneeling is a sign of respect.  People kneel when they pray.  People kneel before Zod and other Lords & masters.  People kneel to propose marriage.  Indeed, Kaepernick's sitting & kneeling -- he could not have found a more quiet, peaceful, non-provocative way to express himself.  So, sorry -- on a scale of 1 to 10, kneeling during the anthem barely scores a "1", IMO.

Your Son Is On Fire.
Some have pointed out, multiple times, this Kaepernick quote:  ""I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color".  But to me, those in the "he's disrespecting the flag & the military" camp only hear ""I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country blah, blah, blah".  But it's the "blah, blah, blah" part that is important.  Worse, to me, those who are focused on the alleged disrespect of the flag (daughter wants a cookie) while ignoring the alleged country that oppresses ... people of color (son is on fire) are a big, big part of the problem.  To me, those who don't pay attention to the oppression of people of color are saying (again, to me):
...  Racism is acceptable & honorable, performed by fine people,
...  People of color should not sit in a Starbucks or have a family picnic in a local park,
...  It's okay for the police to shoot citizens of color who are holding cell phones or CDs,
...  It's okay to split families up, toss otherwise law abiding people out of the country, and then losing the kids,
...  It's perfectly acceptable to gerrymander a state to suppress the voices of people of color,
...  It's okay to harass women wearing hijabs,
...  It's okay to burn houses of worship (if that religion is not Christian),
...  It's okay to prevent LGTBQ people from enjoying the same rights as straight white folks
and so on.  I'm sorry, but a little, quiet, peaceful gesture like kneeling during the anthem comes nowhere close to the severity of these "oppress people of color" issues.

That's how I feel.

May 30 18 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

[...]
That's how I feel.

And no one here is surprised.

May 30 18 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

rfordphotos wrote:

And no one here is surprised.

lol

May 30 18 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Clearly, I've found this topic to be thought provoking.  Here's some of my latest thoughts.

When I was a team leader, I remember having a discussion about how to set priorities.  I used an analogy:
     Your daughter wants a cookie; your son is on fire.  What do you do?

Here's how I think this applies to this conversation:

Your Daughter Wants A Cookie.
Apologies in advance to those who disagree, but I can't accept that Kaepernick's actions rise to the level of "disrespect for the flag".  Here's my thinking:
...  He did not burn the flag.
...  He did not pull the flag down & stomped on it.
...  He did not cut up or otherwise destroy the flag.
...  He did not display the flag at all, let alone upside down or backwards.
...  He did not modify the flag.
...  He did not use the flag as a bandana to wipe sweat from his brow.
...  He did not choose to display the confederate flag in the place of the stars & stripes.
...  He did not attempt to prevent others from standing or kneeling as they saw fit.
...  He did not seek attention with his actions -- the media sought him out.

Indeed, under all other circumstances I can think of, kneeling is a sign of respect.  People kneel when they pray.  People kneel before Zod and other Lords & masters.  People kneel to propose marriage.  Indeed, Kaepernick's sitting & kneeling -- he could not have found a more quiet, peaceful, non-provocative way to express himself.  So, sorry -- on a scale of 1 to 10, kneeling during the anthem barely scores a "1", IMO.

Your Son Is On Fire.
Some have pointed out, multiple times, this Kaepernick quote:  ""I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color".  But to me, those in the "he's disrespecting the flag & the military" camp only hear ""I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country blah, blah, blah".  But it's the "blah, blah, blah" part that is important.  Worse, to me, those who are focused on the alleged disrespect of the flag (daughter wants a cookie) while ignoring the alleged country that oppresses ... people of color (son is on fire) are a big, big part of the problem.  To me, those who don't pay attention to the oppression of people of color are saying (again, to me):
...  Racism is acceptable & honorable, performed by fine people,
...  People of color should not sit in a Starbucks or have a family picnic in a local park,
...  It's okay for the police to shoot citizens of color who are holding cell phones or CDs,
...  It's okay to split families up, toss otherwise law abiding people out of the country, and then losing the kids,
...  It's perfectly acceptable to gerrymander a state to suppress the voices of people of color,
...  It's okay to harass women wearing hijabs,
...  It's okay to burn houses of worship (if that religion is not Christian),
...  It's okay to prevent LGTBQ people from enjoying the same rights as straight white folks
and so on.  I'm sorry, but a little, quiet, peaceful gesture like kneeling during the anthem comes nowhere close to the severity of these "oppress people of color" issues.

That's how I feel.

This seems a bit vague... would you mind going into more detail?

May 30 18 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I sometimes find it hard to believe these type of protests are actually truly about the ideology. I think its more about simple evolutionary notions, in this case the peacock. I think they simply want to draw attention to themselves and become an icon, and being rich already these types can be cavalier about any jackassed thing they want to do, they do it knowing they wont really suffer any real hardship for their protest penalty or not but ultimately its all really about......"look at me".

May 30 18 04:06 pm Link