Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > NFL Anthem Rules

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
It must be the very first time that a thread in the MM forums failed to find a solution for a significant issue.  smile

Select Models wrote:
It almost IS!  Quite a huge number of world issues and problems have been discussed and solved right here in on the MM Forums.  Stick around... you'll see what I mean... borat   World leaders legislate governmental changes for the better... dictators formulate more favorable policies for their countrymen.  I'm just so glad to be a part of it and a formitable contributor... wink

Ah, sarcasm.

So, I guess you are announcing that you have nothing to contribute to this discussion?  Or am I wrong?  Because if you do have a contribution, could you please state it without sarcasm.  I'd like to understand.

Jun 03 18 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
And stop clubbing baby seals on the head!

Fur sure... in total agreement there... wink

Jun 04 18 02:57 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

The latest:  President Trump has canceled the traditional meet & greet with the Superbowl winners after he found out that many of the players refuse to attend.

Jun 05 18 07:24 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

The latest:  President Trump has canceled the traditional meet & greet with the Superbowl winners after he found out that many of the players refuse to attend.

And there was much rejoicing among the players.

Jun 05 18 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Docta Shock Fotografix

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Looks like there would have been less that 10 players attending (and no African-American players).

Jun 05 18 09:47 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Docta Shock Photografix wrote:
Looks like there would have been less that 10 players attending (and no African-American players).

One guy on the sports station this morning said they should have gone because the host is easily swayed and they could have had an opportunity to make an impact on his point of view.  I doubt they could have made an impact by trying to talk to him.  They might have made an impact if everyone on the team refused to shake his hand.  Sometimes it is good to face hostile crowds.  It would have been better if the team decided not to go as a team, instead of the politician disinviting them.  From one perspective, the politician gets the upper hand because he canceled.  On the other, the politician looks bad because he cancelled.

Jun 05 18 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Docta Shock Fotografix

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I heard that this morning and got a good chuckle out of it. It's just like he did with the Golden State Warriors. He canceled because he knew there would only be a small group of Eagles attending.

Jun 05 18 10:35 am Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

hbutz New York wrote:

And there was much rejoicing among the players.

+1

Score another win for the players. They got him where it hurts: crowd size. He could have invited Sean Spicer back in to photoshop in more players.

Jun 05 18 11:35 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Docta Shock Photografix wrote:
I heard that this morning and got a good chuckle out of it. It's just like he did with the Golden State Warriors. He canceled because he knew there would only be a small group of Eagles attending.

The only reason I listen to sports radio is the Phillies games, and the next time I get into the car after listening to a Phillies game.  It doesn't take long to find something else.  The first caller I heard this morning was a guy that served, as did his ancestors, back to the days of the Buffalo Soldiers.    It is too bad I can't quote him.  He was not a powerful or articulate speaker, but his words resonated.  Then I got good chuckle that the host could be swayed.

I just listened to a part of the WH news briefing.  I rarely do that either.  I was fascinated to hear that last week 70 or 80 people from the organization had RSVPed as little as a week ago.  That wasn't the impression that I was getting from local news during the week.  But the WH is trying to pin the blame on the Eagles and the players, and ignoring the incendiary comments that the host made recently.  May 24 he said they maybe shouldn't be in this country.  Despite the fact that no Eagles players kneeled for a game, except one player in preseason who did not make the final cut. I would understand why the Eagles' players would take exception to the statement.  I will be interested in seeing the Eagles press release addressing the accusations, if they bother to make one.

It is a tried and true method to the question the patriotism of anyone who protests the entrenchments of the United States.  It is often racial disparagement, but it is a tactic that is used on everyone.  Again, not applauding to a political speech is maybe treason?  Every opposing ideology, thought, or action is currently un-American.  Way to win the hearts and minds!

Jun 05 18 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/34471806_2116434428449600_5435926685327294464_n.png?_nc_cat=1&oh=36dd581e30187c0df5f69a6df6e0bcc2&oe=5BB48BC2

Jun 05 18 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
[...]

It is a tried and true method to the question the patriotism of anyone who protests the entrenchments of the United States.  It is often racial disparagement, but it is a tactic that is used on everyone.  Again, not applauding to a political speech is maybe treason?  Every opposing ideology, thought, or action is currently un-American.  Way to win the hearts and minds!

Come on Hunter!!!!! 

America--- Love it or LEAVE it......

/end sarcasm

Most here probably dont remember that common chant from the 60's. Didnt make sense then, and it still doesnt.

The last time I heard that as a common chant---- the nation was arguably more divided than anytime since the Civil War.

Are we there again? God forbid- do we have to have another tragic year like 1968 to wake people up?

This too will pass. The political atmosphere that allowed  "America Love it or Leave it" was fairly quickly supplanted by more open minded times. I live in hope that this administration's world view will also pass quickly.

Jun 05 18 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

TEB-Art Photo wrote:
Score another win for the players.

Doubtful. The NFL revenues will decline yet again this year if they keep up this nonsense.

In the meantime, black unemployment is at a record low. Median income is up, real progress is being made with prison reform, Trump is aggressively fighting drugs and MS13 in the poor neighborhoods, and on and on.

Whites get shot/killed by police at twice the rate as blacks do.

I can see why liberals are so upset.

Jun 05 18 01:44 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

rfordphotos wrote:

Come on Hunter!!!!! 

America--- Love it or LEAVE it......

/end sarcasm

Most here probably dont remember that common chant from the 60's. Didnt make sense then, and it still doesnt.

The last time I heard that as a common chant---- the nation was arguably more divided than anytime since the Civil War.

Are we there again? God forbid- do we have to have another tragic year like 1968 to wake people up?

This too will pass. The political atmosphere that allowed  "America Love it or Leave it" was fairly quickly supplanted by more open minded times. I live in hope that this administration's world view will also pass quickly.

There are some similarities.

Jun 05 18 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

rfordphotos wrote:

This divisiveness has been going on since Obama's election... "community organizing" was all he knew how to do, and that translated into dividing us all into different groups and pitting them against each other.

It we can't even all agree that we're all Americans and chill out for a 2 minute national anthem before football games, then how can we ever come together on anything?

There's a lot of big money going into the "resist" movement (Obama led groups and Hillary groups, Soros, etc.). They aim to keep us all fighting each other on everything under the sun.

Jun 05 18 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
Doubtful. The NFL revenues will decline yet again this year if they keep up this nonsense.

In the meantime, black unemployment is at a record low. Median income is up, real progress is being made with prison reform, Trump is aggressively fighting drugs and MS13 in the poor neighborhoods, and on and on.

Whites get shot/killed by police at twice the rate as blacks do.

I can see why liberals are so upset.

The alleged statistics (e.g. Whites get shot/killed by police at twice the rate as blacks do) and the other ones mentioned above are open to interpretation & analysis.  Are there cases of white people being shot in their own garage for playing loud music?  Are there cases of a white person's life being assessed for less than a nickel?  Does privatizing prisons count as prison reform?  Has the increase in prison populations or the disproportionate sentences of people of color count as prison reform?  And so on.

Regarding the NFL -- I am beginning to think that this whole hooha about kneeling during the anthem is a giant smoke screen.  The NFL has (in my opinion) bigger problems:
...  The permanent physical & mental damages to players after they retire,
...  The permissiveness of overlooking the cases of domestic violence by the players,
...  PED abuse by the players,
...  Other drug abuse by the players,
...  Cheating (and shady practices) by teams,
...  And the near-slavery of players by the owners.

Let me explain that last one.  An owner can decide to ship a player thousands of miles away to a team that hasn't had a winning record in a decade on his whim.  Sure, the player is paid & the stars are paid very well, but being shipped somewhere they don't really want to be isn't great, and many of these player don't have the skills to do anything else as lucrative for a living.  That's what I mean by "near-slavery".

Anyone have a hypothesis about why other sports don't have a similar problem to the NFL anthem issue?

Jun 05 18 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The alleged statistics (e.g. Whites get shot/killed by police at twice the rate as blacks do) and the other ones mentioned above are open to interpretation & analysis.  Are there cases of white people being shot in their own garage for playing loud music?  Are there cases of a white person's life being assessed for less than a nickel?  Does privatizing prisons count as prison reform?  Has the increase in prison populations or the disproportionate sentences of people of color count as prison reform?  And so on.

Regarding the NFL -- I am beginning to think that this whole hooha about kneeling during the anthem is a giant smoke screen.  The NFL has (in my opinion) bigger problems:
...  The permanent physical & mental damages to players after they retire,
...  The permissiveness of overlooking the cases of domestic violence by the players,
...  PED abuse by the players,
...  Other drug abuse by the players,
...  Cheating (and shady practices) by teams,
...  And the near-slavery of players by the owners.

Let me explain that last one.  An owner can decide to ship a player thousands of miles away to a team that hasn't had a winning record in a decade on his whim.  Sure, the player is paid & the stars are paid very well, but being shipped somewhere they don't really want to be isn't great, and many of these player don't have the skills to do anything else as lucrative for a living.  That's what I mean by "near-slavery".

Anyone have a hypothesis about why other sports don't have a similar problem to the NFL anthem issue?

Maybe the other sports have better management than the NFL has.

Jun 05 18 05:32 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

]Anyone have a hypothesis about why other sports don't have a similar problem to the NFL anthem issue?

MLBaseball
About 25%(+) foreign players
Less than 8% black, many of whom are latinos, compared to 75% in NBA and 64% in NFL

note Jackie Robinson's quote:
https://www.athleticsnation.com/2017/9/ … e-robinson

then
"Even today, athletes who speak out against injustices find themselves jobless, despite their qualifications."

edit:
And one of the most important MLK quotes

Jun 05 18 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

MLBaseball
About 25%(+) foreign players
Less than 8% black, many of which are latinos, compared to 75% in NBA and 64% in NFL

note Jackie Robinson's quote:
https://www.athleticsnation.com/2017/9/ … e-robinson

then
"Even today, athletes who speak out against injustices find themselves jobless, despite their qualifications."

People are flooded with politics all the time, and watching sports is one place to escape that for a while.  Bringing politics into sports is bad for business.

Jun 05 18 06:01 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
People are flooded with politics all the time, and watching sports is one place to escape that for a while.  Bringing politics into sports is bad for business.

Did you read the article?

Regardless, what you say, is not necessarily true.  The politics displayed in a baseball game, or by kneeling players in the NFL, is minimal in itself.  If the broadcast personalities and news programs and politicians make it into a bigger segment of the show, then that is not a problem with the players practicing a peaceful protest. 

You are correct that we are flooded with politics right now.  Is anything happening in the world that Trump isn't involved in?  Thank God that people are dying in volcano eruptions so we can get a break.  Or whales dying from eating plastic bags.  But nothing is going to remove politics from sports because sports are part of the American existence and we bleed everything together.  Wait, there is one thing that might get the bigger part of politics out of sports- harmony and justice in our society.

Otherwise, I suppose that your comment is also correct if the only thing anyone should ever care about is the bottom line.

Jun 05 18 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

Did you read the article?

Regardless, what you say, is not necessarily true.  The politics displayed in a baseball game, or by kneeling players in the NFL, is minimal in itself.  If the broadcast personalities and news programs and politicians make it into a bigger segment of the show, then that is not a problem with the players practicing a peaceful protest. 

You are correct that we are flooded with politics right now.  Is anything happening in the world that Trump isn't involved in?  Thank God that people are dying in volcano eruptions so we can get a break.  Or whales dying from eating plastic bags.  But nothing is going to remove politics from sports because sports are part of the American existence and we bleed everything together.  Wait, there is one thing that might get the bigger part of politics out of sports- harmony and justice in our society.

Otherwise, I suppose that your comment is also correct if the only thing anyone should ever care about is the bottom line.

Define "harmony and justice".  Suggest a solution.

Jun 05 18 06:20 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
Define "harmony and justice".  Suggest a solution.

Separate but equal didn't work.  Not that it was ever equal.  I posted a link to a NPR radio spot a couple of days ago about the American influence on Germany after the war and the similar/dissimilar post civil war issues.  It was interesting.

Sometime when you see the right thing to do, you know it is the right thing to do.

Today, I moved my vehicle closer to where my helper was working.  In the one block and two right turns I drove, I went past an old man setting an aluminum ladder up against a large branch on a dead Pin Oak.  This guy had to be in his 80s.  I walked back the route I drove, though there was a foot path that was much more direct.  When I got to the old man, he was plugging a crappy electric chainsaw into an extension cord.  The ladder was poorly set.  I told him he was going to kill himself, asked him what his goal was, I reset the ladder, took the saw from him and climbed up and cut this stupid little 4" branch off of a dead 80 foot tree.  I did this even though pruning a tree from a ladder, without ropes is a stupid, idiotic thing to do.  I figured the probability of me getting hurt was smaller than him getting hurt.  In the meantime, I was paying a guy to stand and wait for me to get back to whence I had come.  Sometimes, people act for the good of others and we need to be tolerant of the action and see the need.

Want a solution?  Insight and empathy.  That would about do it.

For instance, Starbucks.  Walk in, long line, sometimes it is better to go pee before I order.  A little bit of empathy and it wouldn't have required six (seven?) cops to arrest two guys doing the same thing as everybody else in the shop.

Jun 05 18 06:33 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
Maybe the other sports have better management than the NFL has.

Oh, oh the oppression...

Jun 05 18 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/34471806_2116434428449600_5435926685327294464_n.png?_nc_cat=1&oh=36dd581e30187c0df5f69a6df6e0bcc2&oe=5BB48BC2

Fox News apologizes for implying Eagles players were kneeling in protest

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear … 800194b77e

Jun 05 18 06:48 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Separate but equal didn't work.  Not that it was ever equal.  I posted a link to a NPR radio spot a couple of days ago about the American influence on Germany after the war and the similar/dissimilar post civil war issues.  It was interesting.

Sometime when you see the right thing to do, you know it is the right thing to do.

Today, I moved my vehicle closer to where my helper was working.  In the one block and two right turns I drove, I went past an old man setting an aluminum ladder up against a large branch on a dead Pin Oak.  This guy had to be in his 80s.  I walked back the route I drove, though there was a foot path that was much more direct.  When I got to the old man, he was plugging a crappy electric chainsaw into an extension cord.  The ladder was poorly set.  I told him he was going to kill himself, asked him what his goal was, I reset the ladder, took the saw from him and climbed up and cut this stupid little 4" branch off of a dead 80 foot tree.  I did this even though pruning a tree from a ladder, without ropes is a stupid, idiotic thing to do.  I figured the probability of me getting hurt was smaller than him getting hurt.  In the meantime, I was paying a guy to stand and wait for me to get back to whence I had come.  Sometimes, people act for the good of others and we need to be tolerant of the action and see the need.

Want a solution?  Insight and empathy.  That would about do it.

For instance, Starbucks.  Walk in, long line, sometimes it is better to go pee before I order.  A little bit of empathy and it wouldn't have required six (seven?) cops to arrest two guys doing the same thing as everybody else in the shop.

So you want that we should legislate not helping little old men on ladders gets 30 to 90 in County, depending on the specific age, race and frailty of the fellow of course. I bet the statutes wouldn't run more than a couple of pages.

Jun 05 18 06:51 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

What Fun Productions wrote:

Did they do it on air yet?

Jun 05 18 06:52 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Lisa Everhart wrote:
So you want that we should legislate not helping little old men on ladders gets 30 to 90 in County, depending on the specific age, race and frailty of the fellow of course. I bet the statutes wouldn't run more than a couple of pages.

Why should any legislation be required for people to do what is right?  Isn't the counter protest a question of moral judgement against the protesters?  Since patriotism and morality are interminably linked?  Where in the book of guidance that people use to develop their faith, and define right from wrong, does God require us to use our government to right the world?  Isn't that a responsibility of the individual? 

Here are some ideas that the right should know very well:
https://www.openbible.info/topics/welcoming_strangers

I didn't need to climb that tree.  I could have just called the cops.  They probably would have stopped him, or got the ambulance on the way.  I could have ignored him and let him kill himself.  Are you saying I did the wrong thing?

Jun 05 18 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

What Fun Productions wrote:

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Did they do it on air yet?

1)  Admitting to a mistake = weakness.  Don't hold your breath for an on-air apology.
2)  As I've pointed out, kneeling in prayer = respectful, but kneeling during anthem = not? 
3)  Trump held another event at the WH to replace the missing photo op with the Eagles.  During the anthem, one brave man took a knee.

Jun 05 18 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

Why should any legislation be required for people to do what is right?  Isn't the counter protest a question of moral judgement against the protesters?  Since patriotism and morality are interminably linked?  Where in the book of guidance that people use to develop their faith, and define right from wrong, does God require us to use our government to right the world?  Isn't that a responsibility of the individual? 

I didn't need to climb that tree.  I could have just called the cops.  They probably would have stopped him, or got the ambulance on the way.  I could have ignored him and let him kill himself.  Are you saying I did the wrong thing?

So, when multi-millionaire atheletes lecture you about how terrible you are, you assume they're really talking about everyone except you?

Jun 05 18 07:48 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

So, when multi-millionaire atheletes lecture you about how terrible you are, you assume they're really talking about everyone except you?

Not that they do.  As opposed to millionaire politicians without morals or scruples who create their own "facts" and change them with the wind?  Those that will tear anybody down to protect their own self interests?  Or white supremacists that want to lecture me about how bad other people are so I can feel superior?  Maybe that works for you.  It isn't what drives me.

I have some issues.  Some people look past them.  Why shouldn't I do the same for others?  Why should the color of a person's skin be something I even care about?  Why is their accumulation of assets something I should care about? Listen to you!  Making this about wealthy athletes.  That's where the battle lines should be drawn?  Always ou can find some reason to hold them in contempt? 

I would much rather be friends with a millionaire athlete that is honest with me than snot nosed liar that got his millions from daddy.  For me, the statement would be true regardless of wealth.  You focus on the meaningless aspects.

Jun 05 18 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Not that they do.  As opposed to millionaire politicians without morals or scruples who create their own "facts" and change them with the wind?  Those that will tear anybody down to protect their own self interests?  Or white supremacists that want to lecture me about how bad other people are so I can feel superior?  Maybe that works for you.  It isn't what drives me.

I agree on the politicians, especially the career ones. That's why we hope to drain the swamp.

As far as white supremacist lectures, I've never had to listen to those since I don't attend those sorts of events. Not my cup of tea. I wouldn't want that injected into sports either.

Jun 05 18 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
I would much rather be friends with a millionaire athlete that is honest with me than snot nosed liar that got his millions from daddy.  For me, the statement would be true regardless of wealth.  You focus on the meaningless aspects.

Back in my much younger days, my friend was the "official"  cocaine dealer for the Eagles players. Got to hang with many of them. They were mostly pretty rude and obnoxious actually.

Jun 05 18 08:38 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

Exactly. I may finally be getting somewhere with you.

Jun 05 18 08:55 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

Back in my much younger days, my friend was the "official"  cocaine dealer for the Eagles players. Got to hang with many of them. They were mostly pretty rude and obnoxious actually.

So, you hang with drug dealers and users.  Good for you.  I gather what you are really saying is that your previous experience with people in the past, gives you the ability to determine that other people in those positions, years later, must be the same.   

Did the NFL do random drug tests back then?

Jun 05 18 09:00 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
I agree on the politicians, especially the career ones. That's why we hope to drain the swamp.

As far as white supremacist lectures, I've never had to listen to those since I don't attend those sorts of events. Not my cup of tea. I wouldn't want that injected into sports either.

I always wonder when Bernie is driving up to his new million dollar lake house in his R10 convertible, if he doesn't secretly wish he owned Mar a Lago instead. I bet he was so busy daydreaming about it that he didn't even see the little old man struggling to get up the ladder to trim his tree. Of course Bernie is old too but I bet if he had called Nancy, she would have rushed one of her Mexican servants out there to help. She has so many with all those mansions she owns. Oh the sacrifices of serving the people.

Bill and Hillary made out pretty good too I hear and didn't Barrack and Michelle just sign a deal with Netflix? I guess Barack thought it was better to be a politician first before becoming a reality TV star eh? I know none of the above are in Trump's or George Jr.'s league though, so I guess it is true that it is still much better to have a rich Daddy who earned it in the private sector, than a rich Uncle who stole it from the public.

*Just think, in a round about sort of way, justice really has been served. I bet the taxes that the Bush's and Trump's paid all those years was more than enough to cover the government salaries, benefits and pensions of the other three guys. I am just guessing about the Donald's though being as how he is King and all.

Jun 05 18 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

So, you hang with drug dealers and users.  Good for you.  I gather what you are really saying is that your previous experience with people in the past, gives you the ability to determine that other people in those positions, years later, must be the same.   

Did the NFL do random drug tests back then?

He was a respectable guy... worked for the Chester County Sherriff office, and his dad was a judge. We used to go boating together all the time on the Chesapeake.

Jun 05 18 10:10 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Lisa Everhart wrote:

Exactly. I may finally be getting somewhere with you.

No.  But maybe you are starting to see who I am.

Jun 06 18 04:22 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
No.  But maybe you are starting to see who I am.

Hunter, I have no doubt that you are a good person with a good heart. My issue is with your desire to force others to be, at the point of a gun, against their will, via government that you believe is proper.

Jun 06 18 04:24 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

He was a respectable guy... worked for the Chester County Sherriff office, and his dad was a judge. We used to go boating together all the time on the Chesapeake.

Being the son of a judge hints that his Sheriff's job was patronage/nepotism and makes him sound privileged, especially since he dealt drugs on top of that.  There is nothing wrong with being in LE.  I wouldn't care if he was privileged as long as he didn't act it.  Would it be a deal breaker about him being a low volume drug dealer?  Maybe. Higher volume, definitely.  But I would never want to be in a car with him in case we got stopped.  Sorry, I don't mean to demean your friendship.   I mean, I can understand why you would still be friends because we overlook these things in each other.  However, a corrupt cop?  That is a problem.

Regarding draining the swamp:  That would be fine, but currently the swamp is not being drained, it is being stocked with predatory swamp monsters well suited to the habitat.

As far as being lectured by white supremacists, I feel like I get that from the certain people, who will remain nameless, in the government..

Jun 06 18 04:50 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Lisa Everhart wrote:
My issue is with your desire to force others to be, at the point of a gun, against their will, via government that you believe is proper.

Wow.  That is insulting.  Then, you are not seeing who I am and perhaps you are projecting your own philosophies on me.

It would be great if we could govern without any laws greater than the Constitution.  But on that premise, even the laws that are set out in the Constitution could be considered too many.   The God given rights we have should have been recognized without it.  The consensus of the people should lead the government in the direction of the proper laws, and by in large it does.  Sometimes center, sometimes right, sometimes left.  But there are always predatory people.  From internet scam artists, to rapists and murders, who will live outside the consensus of the majority of the society.  And yes, sometimes, the consensus changes.  Without laws, there would be little order.  Any order would be imposed by force from the powerful.  Either by gun or economics.  Sort of like the coal mines and the company stores.  Another day older and deeper in debt.  Or the Wall Street financial meltdown where the perpetrators were rescued and the victims were left to rot.  Perhaps ... not much would be different without laws. 

As a whole, we voluntarily segregate our communities and perpetuate stereotypes and myths.  We may disagree on what is stereotype and what is myth, but the premise is true.   People do not know other people, and they don't know themselves. 

That girl in Wildwood:  There will be no criminal charges against the cops.  Don't know yet if the department will make any negative determination about their behavior relative to department policy.  But the people- some think she deserved it.  Some don't.  While the video was off, the cop dumped the alcohol.  What else happened while the video was off?  Why was the video off?  They aren't suppose to turn it off as long as they are engaged and they are engaged until they leave the scene.  He was pissed when he turned it back on.  Again, what happened?  Where is the video from the other cop's body cam?  Why wasn't anyone else filming this until the cops turned to violence?  He said he was going to drop her.  That sounds like a threat of violence.  She ran.  One cop pursued.  She either braced for impact while defending herself or assaulted him- depending on your point of view.  She struggled, which is being considered as an assault.   A cop punched her in the head, which is being considered just force. 

When she ran and stopped a few yards away, where was she going to go?  Her kid, her baby daughter was on the blanket.  All the cop had to do was stop,  Calm down.  Diffuse the situation. Talk.  Instead, it was violence from the powerful.

Do I seem to have empathy for the young woman?  Then why should I also not have empathy for other people, regardless of race, even if I didn't witness it or see the video? 

We, by consensus have determined to live under the rule of law.  We have been born into the system, which might be the downside, because we didn't sign our name and agree?  Perhaps we should all have to go through a citizenship test?  I do not believe all the laws on the books are proper,  I do not believe all the laws being considered are proper.  Our laws should be balanced and impact people evenly, and justly.  I do not see that as force.  Sorry.  We would not need a government that is "proper" if people where just.  They are not.  So we live under laws that are of consent, or we change them so they are.   As I said: Empathy and justice.  If we truly loved one another?  The world would be a very different place.

Jun 06 18 06:08 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Why should any legislation be required for people to do what is right?

Who defines "what is right"?  It is rarely legislators who do that -- "right" is more often defined by the masses.  In this case, who's to say that kneeling is okay for prayer but not okay for the anthem?

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

...  I don't see multi-millionaire athletes lecturing anybody.
...  Many of those athletes have careers that last <10 years long.
...  Many of those athletes come from more humble origins & have friends and family who are still poor.
...  Just because someone disagrees with you, that doesn't mean that that person isn't entitled to an opinion.

Jun 06 18 07:43 am Link