Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Mar 04 20 07:46 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Some good news on the funding side...

Apparently Congress got most of what it wanted and there's now an agreement for an emergency $8.3 Billion fund to fight this.

It's now expected to rapidly pass through all stages and be signed into law very, very quickly.

Mar 04 20 11:57 am Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

Take 2/3 of a cup of 99% isopropyl alcohol or ethanol and mix it with 1/3 of a cup of aloe vera gel.

Mix them together.

Dump the resulting goo into a dispenser of one sort or another.

https://www.thoughtco.com/make-your-own … zer-606145

Make your own hand sanitizer

Mar 04 20 12:15 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Baanthai wrote:
You need to improve your reading comprehension, both what you read and what you’ve written.

That is quite the childish response, thank you.  Refusing to clarify your statements accomplishes nothing positive.

Baanthai wrote:
And there it is-A fundamental mistruth being coughed up like a viral fur ball. Sorry but the study of epidemiology really does matter. Past epidemiological experience and knowledge is wholly relevant to solving a pandemic of today. Yes, there really are experts that know more than you or me.

That is true as far as epidemiology is concerned.   It isn't true as far as math is concerned regarding the rates.  The rates are the rates.  x% is x%.  Comparing different diseases in different times does nothing to change the fact that x% [regarding today's disease's rate of whatever] = x% [regarding today's disease's rate of whatever].   I don't care what value is used for x.

Comparing a 2% fatality rate for CV-19 to the 2% fatality rate for the Spanish Flu is irrelevant because they are different diseases under different conditions.   At best, them both having a 2% fatality rate is coincidence.  If the current disease ends up having a 2% fatality rate.

Mar 04 20 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
I will enjoy myself. for another 4 years of secure borders, a great portfolio and the killing of america's enemies. /quote]

So you are going to vote for the Democrat. Smart.

Mar 04 20 01:28 pm Link

Mod 7 (Cust. Svc.)

El Segundo, California, US

Moderator Note!
Let's try to keep cool heads here, and avoid insults and avoid turning this into "you vs. me" - "us vs. them" ...etc...

I know it's impossible to keep "politics" out of this discussion entirely, but please do keep it to a minimum.

Mar 04 20 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

I only mention this as a few people are still talking about 2% fatality rates (including some public sources based on some pretty old figures).

It's been running in the 3.4% to 3.5% range for a while now.

The WHO numbers are posted online daily with the latest numbers that anyone can check (currently 3,198 fatalities / 93,090 cases).

Mar 04 20 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

LightDreams wrote:
I only mention this as a few people are still talking about 2% fatality rates (including some public sources based on some pretty old figures).

The WHO numbers are posted online daily with the latest numbers that anyone can check (currently 3,198 fatalities / 93,090 cases).

Every day we get more information. The World Health Organization (WHO) says it "believes" the virus is LESS contagious than the typical seasonal flu--- THAT IS GREAT NEWS IF TRUE!

On the other hand, as you say,  the WHO is now saying the fatality rate may well be more than 2%- more like 3 or 4%. That isnt good news.

This isnt going to be the end of the world. We will figure out how to deal with this.

Mar 04 20 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

It is maddening to get contradictory news while you are trying to figure out a reasonable response to this whole thing.

Hopefully reliable sources of information re: Covid-19

US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) dedicated Covid-19 page
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

The World Health Organization (WHO)
https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease … virus-2019

Los Angeles County Dept. of Public Health
http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/

As of the latest news I have heard--- they estimate ~80% of the people infected will have mild to moderate symptoms-- NOT requiring medical treatment- just home care and rest.

For the 20% who get "sicker" and require medical intervention they are racing to develop effective supportive therapy. At this time they are still working on the most effective anti-viral combinations, but they expect progress to be relatively rapid, with effectiveness growing with each bit of learned experience treating patients.

Longer term:

Preventative vaccines are also intensely being worked on, but it is important to understand that process---- they develop a "candidate" vaccine---- then it MUST go thru several phases of human clinical trials -first to prove it works, and second and very important, to prove it has no long term negative health impacts. Those testing phases -even streamlined- will take at least 12 months and more likely 18 months before a vaccine can be released to the public.

Mar 04 20 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Good stuff rfordphotos...

Absolutely, don't panic but be aware and take common sense precautions.  What they are suggesting are generally the same precautions to avoid catching, or passing on, the regular flu except it's just more important now.  And, as the Province of BC suggested, having a reasonable (not massive) amount of non-perishable food (and prescription medications, if needed) on hand, always makes sense if you're unable to leave your home for any period of time.  Like earthquake or superstorm preparedness kits, you hope they're never needed, but may prove useful.

Hopefully there will be very few that decide to just completely ignore the advice from the experts.  I hate to use this term, but It's a bit of a numbers game.  The more people that take just some basic simple precautions, the better off everyone will be.  And the less of an issue it becomes.

Mar 04 20 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

ExhibitPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Just a few things for perspective.

The Spanish Flu was terrifying because it was especially lethal among the 20-40 age group and had something like a 10% mortality rate, often in a matter of hours.  Victims also suffered from bleeding at the eyes and other orifices and often so coughed so hard that they literally blew balls of air through the lung lining and into the body.  Victims turned blue from lack of oxygen as mucus suffocated them.  There were actually three mutations of this pandemic and it was the second and third wave that were most lethal.  That should terrify every sane person.

The "standard issue flu" has a lethality of about .1% and is an annoying thing unless you are in the categories that are more likely to get hit hard by the respiratory infection part.

COVID19 is about 20x more lethal than the flu but that lethality is skewed toward the very young and very old and immune-compromised folks.  For a healthy adult, it's nothing to panic over yet but we all need to do the things in order to keep from spreading it to those who are vulnerable.  Interestingly, it looks like it's mutated at least once and there is a more- and less-lethal strain now.  The researchers at CDC are going to be trying to figure out where it's headed but the bottom line is that as a highly infectious new disease it has the potential to do something we don't expect.  So don't go crazy with worry but also don't be stupidly cocky.  Wash your hands.

Mar 04 20 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

LightDreams wrote:
(and prescription medications, if needed) on hand,

Apparently 80% of the prescription drugs in the USA are made in China
or made from Chinese chemical components.

Mar 04 20 06:26 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Last night I was watching a briefing from a doctor about corona virus in the US.  These were my take aways:

Children infected seem to have only minor symptoms, if any at all.  He said a theory about this is that children are generally always fighting off colds and a number of different virus strains that spread continually among the school age population, so their immune systems are more active in attacking incoming threats.

Wash your hands.

The youngest corona virus caused death in the US was 63 years old.  All had pre-existing health issues.

Wash your hands.

Over 80% of those infected thus far in the US have recovered with minimal or no medical intervention.

Wash your hands.

Masks may actually help spread the virus because people who are not accustomed to wearing the masks tend to fiddle with the mask and touch their face more often.

Wash your hands.

Understand the threat of corona virus to a person of your age and overall health.  Older and unhealthy individuals should take more precautions to safeguard themselves.

Wash your hands.

Understand that while your children are not at a great risk of becoming seriously ill, they can spread the virus, possibly undetected. 

Wash your hands.

Mar 04 20 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

ethasleftthebuilding wrote:
Last night I was watching a briefing from a doctor about corona virus in the US.  These were my take aways:

Children infected seem to have only minor symptoms, if any at all.  He said a theory about this is that children are generally always fighting off colds and a number of different virus strains that spread continually among the school age population, so their immune systems are more active in attacking incoming threats.

Wash your hands.

The youngest corona virus caused death in the US was 63 years old.  All had pre-existing health issues.

Wash your hands.

Over 80% of those infected thus far in the US have recovered with minimal or no medical intervention.

Wash your hands.

Masks may actually help spread the virus because people who are not accustomed to wearing the masks tend to fiddle with the mask and touch their face more often.

Wash your hands.

Understand the threat of corona virus to a person of your age and overall health.  Older and unhealthy individuals should take more precautions to safeguard themselves.

Wash your hands.

Understand that while your children are not at a great risk of becoming seriously ill, they can spread the virus, possibly undetected. 

Wash your hands.

Yes! Also learn to open doors with your elbows. I've begun carrying a container of sanitary wipes so I can clean my hands if it is not possible to open a door with my elbow and I've touched it with my hands.

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE!!!! You can learn to ignore minor itching or the urge to touch your face. It is a habit and may be hard to break but it can be done.

Mar 04 20 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

LightDreams wrote:

KNOWN cases.

Not all get sick.

Mar 05 20 05:16 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

PHP-Photography wrote:
KNOWN cases.

Not all get sick.

You can also say that the official fatality rate from the regular flu (.15% in the U.S.) is also only based on "known" cases.  And the same goes for all previous fatality rates that this number is being compared to.

There are also variabilities for the fatality rate in earlier cases where the cause wasn't properly recognized at the time (testing issues, and false assumptions that it was as a result of the regular flu).

They're the best figures that we have available.  And, among other things, are also useful as a reference point for measuring changes or for doing comparisons.

Mar 05 20 10:14 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Focuspuller wrote:
Trump, and you, are wrong. We are not talking about the FLU, which has a LOWER mortality rate.

Until today nobody knows the mortality rate of Covid-19...

At most we know the ratio between recognized Covid-19 cases and how many of those people diagnosed with Covid-19 had died so far.

A lot of Covid-19 infections run very mild and therefore are never diagnosed as Covid-19. So we may believe there are ... 3,000 infected people in Italy and 107 people died of Covid-19. But just as well there may be 300,000 people in Italy infected by Covid-19 of whom 297,000 are not diagnosed because of no or very mild symptoms.

It's obvious that the mortality rate would be very different in that case...

Basically it's the same with the "ordinary flu", by the way. "Ordinary influenca" can go as "just a cold" in a lot of cases. Never diagnosed as influenca and so never counted for the flu statistics.

(British studies estimate that approx. 20 percent of the unvaccinated population get infected by the seasonal flu each year. But just ~23 percent of these people develop typical flu symptoms and many of these people never visit a doctor because symptoms are just mild... So the real infection rate may be extremely underrated which means that the mortality rate is overrated as well ...)

Mar 05 20 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

A paper by Australian National University is predicting a best case scenario of 15 million dead.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav … 020-3?op=1

Mar 06 20 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Phil_I

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

The corona virus worldodometer - up to date information:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Mar 06 20 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

nwprophoto wrote:
Apparently 80% of the prescription drugs in the USA are made in China
or made from Chinese chemical components.

This is interesting as there has been a breakout at a regional nursing home and no one understands why, or how.  Could this Virus be in medications?

LightDreams wrote:
Some good news on the funding side...

Apparently Congress got most of what it wanted and there's now an agreement for an emergency $8.3 Billion fund to fight this.

It's now expected to rapidly pass through all stages and be signed into law very, very quickly.

Laughable

Mar 08 20 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Governor of WA. was talking about "mandatory measures" this morning.

National Institute Of Health today said "brace for quarantines".

Mar 08 20 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Being 77 years old and living in Manhattan I try to remember to avoid public transportation at the rush hours, wear gloves when I have to open public doors, or old on subway metallic parts ( the virus could last up to two hours on such surfaces)
Cancelled a trip to France and Japan...And wait and see.....
Hoping that all the scientists (sans frontieres) in world communicate their progresses to find a solution ASAP.....
Just curious how come this virus is name after a Mexican beer?  Their stock price went down.....

Mar 08 20 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Great 8.5 billions!!… Less than the price of an aircraft carrier....

Mar 08 20 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Just got home from Fred Meyer - part of the Kroger chain. A BIG store with an aisle devoted to toilet paper.
GONE, every roll GONE.
A sign posted that the limit on packages of toilet paper would now be 5 per buyer.

It appears folks have realized that things are so far behind what is actually happening that they are preparing to self-quarantine.

Gonna check the stock market and maybe do a quick flip if things look worthy.

Mar 08 20 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
avoid public transportation

Mass transit, quite the conundrum during a pandemic.

Mar 09 20 06:54 am Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
GONE, every roll GONE.

Seems at least some of the earlier naysayers are reconsidering.

Mar 09 20 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

nwprophoto wrote:

Seems at least some of the earlier naysayers are reconsidering.

I spoke with a relative in San Diego yesterday.
Their Costo was wiped (ha!!! Pun...) out of toilet paper too.

So, this is a "thing" - preparing for self-quarantine perhaps?

Mar 09 20 07:36 am Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
So, this is a "thing" - preparing for self-quarantine perhaps?

Possibilities go way beyond self quarantine.
Local and or regional quarantines.
Supply chain breakdowns.
If it gets bad enough martial law and rationing would probably be on the table.

Mar 09 20 07:44 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

nwprophoto wrote:

Possibilities go way beyond self quarantine.
Local and or regional quarantines.
Supply chain breakdowns.
If it gets bad enough martial law and rationing would probably be on the table.

These days you would have to be crazy to say "that could never happen". Seems anything is possible. Likely? Who knows.....

We are going to have the opportunity to see exactly what happens when a Western society tries to really lock down a large region- The Lombardy region of Italy at around 16 million people will be a real lesson for the rest of Europe and the US.

I personally -- as a layman with no particular expertise---- suspect the cat is out of the bag. Weeks ago the epidemiologists began saying the spread of this virus was inevitable, and I think they are being proven correct.

Sources I have come to trust say that while it is certainly a good idea to limit the spread as much as we can, we need to be concentrating on dealing with the impact. The health care system is gonna get hit hard. The economy is gonna get banged up--- people staying home to care for family, schools closing, a growing bit of paranoia. The global supply chain is in trouble and the ripple that may have is still to be seen. We are seeing the financial markets flop around trying to figure out the right response.

The disease is bad enough. The global reaction to it may be worse.

Mar 09 20 10:59 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

To remind everyone just how much things have changed in the last couple of weeks...

It was just over 2 weeks ago when the narratives (at the time) were claims of "hoax" or of media / political "conspiracies", and that there were only FIFTEEN cases in the U.S. that "in a couple of days" would be "going to be down to be close to zero".  Not to mention claims that vaccines were only a couple of months away, etc, etc.

How things have changed.  In the U.S., the current posted figures for the U.S. are 617 cases with 22 fatalities (111,954 cases worldwide with 3,893 fatalities).  Those U.S. figures will presumably continue to be corrected as more and more of the working testing kits are distributed and the testing backlogs clears.  In addition to the new cases that are detected.

The $8+ Billion fund to fight the virus in the U.S. has now been signed into law.  So money shouldn't be an issue in the fight.

This morning the NY Fed injected $50 Billion more into the financial system to improve liquidity / try and stem the economic impact.  This came halfway through this morning's 2,000 point drop in the Dow, including the emergency temporary halt on all trading.  As I write this (a few hours later after trading resumed) the headline is "Dow is on track for it's worst day in 32 years", but it has been jumping all over the place.

I would say that I think that a good job has been done on getting out the word to people (about washing their hands, and situations to avoid, and who is most at risk, etc, etc) which, if enough people are paying attention (and it looks like they are) will help to "turn the corner" as things progress.

And the "corner" will be "turned" at some point.  Hopefully sooner, rather than later.

Mar 09 20 11:03 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

I was thinking what would it be like if a major city in the US was isolated like Wuhan in China.  Pick the greater Chicago area since that's where I live. Around 8 million folks.  Everyone stays home.  No public transportation.  Businesses and schools shut down along with O'Hare.  The military blocking major highways into the region including Interstates 55, 80, 90, and 94.  Chicago has already cancelled a trade show and 2 conventions for March.  Hard to image without panic and/or revolts.

Mar 09 20 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Question:Flu cases US 2019 ?
https://weather.com/health/cold-flu/new … ses-deaths
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/13/health/f … index.html
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/11/cdc-about-7-million-have-been-sick-with-the-flu-so-far-this-season.html
Quote:The CDC said the flu typically kills 12,000 to 56,000 people in the U.S. in a year.
https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/cdc … hs-winter/
Quote:CDC: 80,000 people died of flu last winter(2018) in U.S.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/cdc … -estimated
Quote:As many as 646,000 people may die from influenza each year worldwide, according to the latest estimates from the Centers for Disease Control

Mar 09 20 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Don't forget that COVID-19 has a fatality rate that is 25 to 35 times higher than the regular flu...

Mar 09 20 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Mar 10 20 09:42 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Flu vs. Covid-19 Coronavirus as it was explained to me-

Flu (seasonal flu, influenza) is a group of respiratory virus that have infected humans for eons. Different strains of the seasonal flu are almost always in circulation, and as a result, we, (humans) have a certain degree of immunity already built up. Because the virus has been around so long, it has built antibodies in everyone infected, every year. This is a form of herd immunity. This immunity "softens" the individual impact of the virus.

Every season, literally millions (probably billions) are infected with seasonal flu. Of those people, typically each "flu season" somewhere around 0.1% get sick enough to die.

There is no "cure" for the seasonal flu, no 100% sure thing preventative drug. Doesnt exist.

Covid-19 (Coronavirus, novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2) is also a respiratory virus. However- it is brand new to humans. Until ~December of last year, it had never been seen before.

As a result, we, (humans) have ZERO immunity. Zero defense against the virus. No herd immunity. No preventative vaccines.

They have no information on how the virus behaves long term.
They have no idea if it will fade as the seasonal flu does when summer comes.

They dont know the actual mortality rate. They believe it is going to prove to be at least 5 times as deadly as the seasonal flu, with some estimates up to 25-40 times as deadly. Only time will give us this answer.

Not the end of the world.
Not something to ignore.

I am becoming convinced that, as bad as the disease is, the reaction to it globally, (socially, economically)  may be worse.

Mar 10 20 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

rfordphotos wrote:
They dont know the actual mortality rate.

As you mention, flu virus has mutated but a certain level of immunity in humans has been manifested over time.

In general, viruses mutate as a means of survival.

And yes, current stats on CV19 are difficult to parse because testing worldwide is not able to keep up. You could have it and spread it for a week or more before you exhibit symptoms.

Obviously, those who get it and survive will begin building immunity so the first round of it will not provide a long-term statistic in any case.

I've seen some brilliant minds suggest that it is here to stay, like the common cold and the flu. I suspect they are correct.
We'll see what happens.

Mar 10 20 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

When I first replied on Feb 29, there were 5 deaths in WA, and in the nation due to coronavirus.  Ten days later there have been 24 deaths in WA, but 19 of those are from the same nursing home.  For the country, it's gone from 5 to 26 deaths.  Meanwhile, Italy has had 630 deaths.
Last time I said "Trump was correct".  I was attacked be sarcastic people.  The moderator has spoken on that and said that wasn't OK.  I haven't attacked anyone.
Let's remember that the CDC is organized under the Department of Health and Human Services, which is a cabinet-level agency, and reports to the president.  No matter how much some of you don't want to believe it, Trump is a manager extraordinaire, and he reportedly uses his cabinet like a manager should.  Folks try hard to prove that there is some kind of conflict between the CDC and the president, and the president DID fire some people there, but he has significantly increased the H&HS budget in 2019, whereas he cut most agencies last year.
Now quit the sarcastic ad hominem attacks!
I still think Trump was correct and in agreement with the Secretary of H&HS, and he still is today.

Mar 10 20 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
In general, viruses mutate as a means of survival.

This captured my attention.  I'm not criticizing.  I think this is a correct statement.
Viruses aren't alive, but they "mutate as a means of survival".  If asked what the definition of "survival" was, you might say "staying alive", but in the case of viruses, it's "staying functional", maintaining activity", or "remaining virulent".
'Just food for thought.

Mar 10 20 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Maybe this potential disaster may convince all countries to collaborate against a common threat...….
Regardless of political interests, religions, etc....

Mar 10 20 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Fist Full of Ish wrote:

This captured my attention.  I'm not criticizing.  I think this is a correct statement.
Viruses aren't alive, but they "mutate as a means of survival".  If asked what the definition of "survival" was, you might say "staying alive", but in the case of viruses, it's "staying functional", maintaining activity", or "remaining virulent".
'Just food for thought.

I searched "Are viruses alive" and it appears to be complicated since they replicate using hijacked resources. Yet, they do replicate. So they may not be alive but they aren't exactly "dead" either. If they were dead then they would not replicate.

https://www.livescience.com/58018-are-v … alive.html

Mar 10 20 05:31 pm Link