Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Pandemic Warnings

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Focuspuller wrote:
Using my Acme Trump Translator to what trump the younger is saying, that once trump wins, the Democrats will drop the issue entirely, since its just a campaign tactic - Applying the Translator....

Dracula Trump (Erik) seems to forget that if the virus is a Dem hoax, then Operation Warp Speed is another hoax. But of course, you stop a hoax pandemic (where are those 90,000 dead bodies anyway???) with a hoax vaccine.

In other news: Guess who’s just snuggled up to us at #2 in the world for CV19-Russia. Brazil coming on strong. And punching way above their weight (small population) is Saudi Arabia.

May 17 20 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

an OPINION piece from the Washington Post

The Post's View
Opinion

The results are in. Trump’s miracle drug is useless.

By Editorial Board
May 17, 2020 at 5:00 a.m. PDT
---- https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions … story.html

THE HYPE over the drug hydroxychloroquine was fueled by President Trump and Fox News, whose hosts touted it repeatedly on air. The president’s claims were not backed by scientific evidence, [...] On Thursday, Mr. Trump declared, “So we have had some great response, in terms of doctors writing letters and people calling on the hydroxychloroquine.”

Now comes the evidence. Two large studies of hospitalized patients in New York City have found the drug was essentially useless against the virus.

One study, by Eli S. Rosenberg and colleagues, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, examined 1,438 patients suffering from infection across 25 hospitals in the New York area between March 15 and 28.[...]  The conclusion of the study: “Among patients hospitalized in metropolitan New York with COVID-19, treatment with hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, or both, compared with neither treatment, was not significantly associated with differences in in-hospital mortality.”

The second study, by Joshua Geleris and colleagues, examined 1,376 patients at New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia University Irving Medical Center in northern Manhattan from March 7 to April 8. Their conclusion in the New England Journal of Medicine: “In this analysis involving a large sample of consecutive patients who had been hospitalized with Covid-19, the risk of intubation or death was not significantly higher or lower among patients who received hydroxychloroquine than among those who did not.” The results, they said, “do not support the use of hydroxychloroquine at present” except in clinical trials.

May 17 20 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

rfordphotos wrote:
an OPINION piece from the Washington Post

The Post's View
Opinion

The results are in. Trump’s miracle drug is useless.

By Editorial Board
May 17, 2020 at 5:00 a.m. PDT
---- https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions … story.html

THE HYPE over the drug hydroxychloroquine was fueled by President Trump and Fox News, whose hosts touted it repeatedly on air. The president’s claims were not backed by scientific evidence, [...] On Thursday, Mr. Trump declared, “So we have had some great response, in terms of doctors writing letters and people calling on the hydroxychloroquine.”

Now comes the evidence. Two large studies of hospitalized patients in New York City have found the drug was essentially useless against the virus.

One study, by Eli S. Rosenberg and colleagues, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, examined 1,438 patients suffering from infection across 25 hospitals in the New York area between March 15 and 28.[...]  The conclusion of the study: “Among patients hospitalized in metropolitan New York with COVID-19, treatment with hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, or both, compared with neither treatment, was not significantly associated with differences in in-hospital mortality.”

The second study, by Joshua Geleris and colleagues, examined 1,376 patients at New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia University Irving Medical Center in northern Manhattan from March 7 to April 8. Their conclusion in the New England Journal of Medicine: “In this analysis involving a large sample of consecutive patients who had been hospitalized with Covid-19, the risk of intubation or death was not significantly higher or lower among patients who received hydroxychloroquine than among those who did not.” The results, they said, “do not support the use of hydroxychloroquine at present” except in clinical trials.

And trump will deny he ever said it, rebuke and admonish the Washington Post, and 40% of the country will believe it.

May 17 20 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Years past I spent a week in Tokyo and a month in western China crisscrossing from Hong Kong to Beijing.  And what I witnessed were people wearing masks, most likely for those with respiratory or flu symptoms.  Those folks in my opinion demonstrated enough concern with their fellow citizens by trying not to pass on their affliction to anyone else.  It's just part of the culture of Eastern Asia.  In my 70+ years living in the States, citizens here don't demonstrate the same concern.   Sick people move about freely breathing on whoever they feel like.   Every winter millions get sick with colds and the flu.  Mostly it's kids missing a few days of school or adults missing some work.  Or working through it.  A very small percentage do die from complications.  But lost productivity does add up for the workers' companies.  And then there's the missed classroom time. 
.  With the current virus some folks started wearing face masks when it was suggested to recommended.  More put on masks when it became mandatory in their area in the country.  But some just refuse to go along.  .Again my opinion, SARS CoV-2 will go from pandemic to an endemic.  A small percentage of the population will continue to get infected, show no symptoms, and continue to pass the virus to others, resulting in more dying.  Vaccine or no vaccine; and be it the U.S., or the whole world.  Viruses for common colds and the flu tend to decline in warm weather.  But Brazil and Mexico are showing sizable increases in infections and deaths, and I wouldn't consider them to be cool climates.   It may just come down to herd mentality and survival of the healthiest.

May 17 20 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

about last night.

My Daughter had a small cookout for immediate family including Her Fiances' Parents.

Fiances' Father receives a text message from one of His Friends - His Wife, a Nurse, had been called into work on Her day off due to a spike in Covid cases coming in.   Johnstown, PA area.

May 18 20 06:01 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Excerpt from today's CNN news article:
---

"Staying safe isn't just about hygiene and distance. It's about time, too."

By now, you've likely heard the main pieces of advice to avoid the coronavirus.

Wear a mask. Wash your hands with soap. Stay at least 6 feet from others. If you do gather with others, go outside rather than inside.

Still, there's one more aspect to infection that has received less attention. Growing evidence suggests that Covid-19 infection, like with other illnesses, is related to prolonged time exposed to the virus. The longer you stay in an environment that may contain the virus, the higher the risk of getting sick.

Dr. Erin Bromage, a comparative immunologist and professor of biology at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, summed it up with a short and sweet equation: "Successful Infection = Exposure to Virus x Time."
"The longer time you spend in that environment -- so minutes or hours in there -- the more virus you breathe in, the more it can build up and then establish infection," Bromage said. "So it's always a balance of exposure and time. If you get a high level of exposure, it's a short time (to infection, and if you get a) low level of exposure, it's a longer time before that infection can establish."
---

May 18 20 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Trump once again ignores medical advice, doubling down on the amazingly BAD ADVICE he somehow feels qualified to offer. I will leave it to you to imagine how I hope this works ....

----  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/us/c … e=Homepage

Trump says he has been taking hydroxychloroquine, a drug whose effectiveness against the virus is unproven.

President Trump said Monday that he has been taking hydroxychloroquine, an antimalarial drug whose effectiveness against the coronavirus is unproven, for about a week and a half as a preventive measure, saying he had no symptoms of Covid-19.

“All I can tell you is, so far I seem to be OK,” he said, explaining that he takes a daily pill.

The Food and Drug Administration issued a safety warning in April about hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, malaria prevention drugs that have been repeatedly promoted by Mr. Trump and widely used to treat virus patients despite the lack of evidence that they work.
[...]
“I’m not going to get hurt by it,” Mr. Trump said, claiming he was making the revelation in order to be transparent with Americans. “It has been around for 40 years for malaria, for lupus, for other things. I take it. Front-line workers take it. A lot of doctors take it. I take it.”

Several doctors questioned the wisdom of taking the unproven drug, given the possible risks.

“I think it’s a very bad idea to be taking hydroxychloroquine as a preventive medication,” said Dr. Eric Topol, a cardiologist and the director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute in La Jolla, Calif. “There are no data to support that, there’s no evidence, and in fact there is no compelling evidence to support its use at all at this point.”

Dr. Topol said that the risk of developing a potentially fatal arrhythmia because of hydroxychloroquine could come without warning and did not happen only in people with heart conditions. “We can’t predict that; in fact, it can happen in people who are healthy,” he said. “It could happen in anyone.”

Dr. David Maron, a cardiologist and the chief of the Stanford Prevention Research Center, said in an interview that in his opinion “the risk-benefit ratio doesn’t make sense.”
[...]

May 18 20 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Meanwhile, while Trump sells snake-oil cures from his Magic Medicine Show:

A couple GRIM milestones:

we have over One MILLION FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND CASES
and
over NINETY THOUSAND DEATHS

United States COVID-19 Statistics
Updated May 18, 2020 @ 6:12pm EDT
Population  330,756,000
----  https://covidusa.net/

Cases 1,504,386 Total
0.45% Per Capita   

Deaths 90,194 Total
0.027% Per Capita

I wonder how all those folks who told us "it is all going to work out fine" feel now....

Have we buried enough people to convince them they were wrong?

May 18 20 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

rfordphotos wrote:
Trump once again ignores medical advice, doubling down on the amazingly BAD ADVICE he somehow feels qualified to offer. I will leave it to you to imagine how I hope this works ....
[...]

One little pill doesn't seem like enough, perhaps 5 or 6 daily would be better? lol

May 18 20 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Some positive news as well---- This article is another long read, but it mentions several vaccine candidates are under development, and many are showing promising results.

There is hope that a vaccine could be widely available mid next year.

Moderna Coronavirus Vaccine Trial Shows Promising Early Results

The company said its preliminary test in 8 healthy volunteers was safe. It is on an accelerated timetable to begin a larger human trial soon.

By Denise Grady
May 18, 2020
Updated 2:34 p.m. ET
-----  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/heal … e=Homepage

The first coronavirus vaccine to be tested in people appears to be safe and able to stimulate an immune response against the virus, its manufacturer, Moderna, announced on Monday.

The findings are based on results from the first eight people who each received two doses of the experimental vaccine, starting in March.
[...]
Though encouraging, the findings do not prove that the vaccine works. Only larger, longer studies can determine whether it can actually prevent people in the real world from getting sick. Moderna’s technology, involving genetic material from the virus called mRNA, is relatively new and has yet to produce any approved vaccine.
[...]
Moderna produced the vaccine in collaboration with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, the institute led by Dr. Anthony Fauci, which has been leading the clinical trials.[...]
[...]

May 18 20 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

One little pill doesn't seem like enough, perhaps 5 or 6 daily would be better? lol

wouldnt want him to die.

I want him to live to 100, reading every day for the rest of his life what a total, complete failure he was as president, watching the history books place him at the top of the "worst ever" lists and wishing Don Jr., Ivanka, Jared and Eric could get an early compassionate release from federal custody so they could come visit him...

but hey, that is just me....

May 18 20 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

rfordphotos wrote:

wouldnt want him to die.

I want him to live to 100, reading every day for the rest of his life what a total, complete failure he was as president, watching the history books place him at the top of the "worst ever" lists and wishing Don Jr., Ivanka, Jared and Eric could get an early compassionate release from federal custody so they could come visit him...

but hey, that is just me....

I would be OK with that too.
Meanwhile, this has it's ups and downs...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-hos … 13859.html

May 18 20 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

This is probably just the begining but the problems that can be caused by a judge who puts the letter of the law above the intent of the law can be a dangerous thing and cost people their lives. Yet, that same judge is unlikely to be held responsible if/when the inevitable occurs...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/judge-tosses … 11786.html

May 18 20 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
This is probably just the begining but the problems that can be caused by a judge who puts the letter of the law above the intent of the law can be a dangerous thing and cost people their lives. Yet, that same judge is unlikely to be held responsible if/when the inevitable occurs...

I dont know how we win that battle.

Clearly (at least to me) the public is better served letting the Governor and public health officials set the timetable.

A poorly written law is the issue, though, in my eye, not the judge. If the law had been written correctly, the law suit wouldnt have ever gotten off the ground. The law should have CLEARLY defined who has what power and when... It shouldnt have given an activist judge the "wiggle room" to legislate from the bench.

I too am tired of judges legislating from the bench. right now, we are suffering thru a "conservative" court and it's politics but the liberal courts of the past are just as prone to political interpretation of the law. But our legislators are to blame for it.

We are stuck with a shitload of laws written by the morons in DC, I believe often SPECIFICALLY to cloud an issue rather than resolving it...and to make work for their brother attorneys.

Surprise, our legal system is broken.

Meanwhile we are faced with a situation where one faction of the public found a perfectly legal way to stop something it didnt like after they decided their rights were more important than anyone else's rights.

We havent had much luck writing laws to make folks act decently.

May 18 20 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Shadow Dancer wrote:

Interesting that the crowd that believes "there are limitations on the governor’s power, even in the midst of emergencies" appear to be the same ones who believe the president has no limitations whatsoever.

May 18 20 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

rfordphotos wrote:

I dont know how we win that battle.

Clearly (at least to me) the public is better served letting the Governor and public health officials set the timetable.

A poorly written law is the issue, though, in my eye, not the judge. If the law had been written correctly, the law suit wouldnt have ever gotten off the ground. The law should have CLEARLY defined who has what power and when... It shouldnt have given an activist judge the "wiggle room" to legislate from the bench.

I too am tired of judges legislating from the bench. right now, we are suffering thru a "conservative" court and it's politics but the liberal courts of the past are just as prone to political interpretation of the law. But our legislators are to blame for it.

We are stuck with a shitload of laws written by the morons in DC, I believe often SPECIFICALLY to cloud an issue rather than resolving it...and to make work for their brother attorneys.

Surprise, our legal system is broken.

Meanwhile we are faced with a situation where one faction of the public found a perfectly legal way to stop something it didnt like after they decided their rights were more important than anyone else's rights.

We havent had much luck writing laws to make folks act decently.

I feel bad for the innocent victims of this "legal" travesty.
Yes, our legal system is broken.
Our political system is broken.
And, our Union is broken.

When there was a movement in Texas to secede from the Union my first thought was "Please, go now! Set the precedent."
Their economy becomes their's alone. Their border troubles are up to them to deal with, the drain on the Federal tax system is gone. I am in favor of the West Coast states taking their ball and going home as well. Let the Great Experiment disolve, it has failed in a profound way.

We are currently at 90,340 deaths...
That is a horrific number but it is not done growing by any means.

May 18 20 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Shadow Dancer wrote:

In Canada, there have been many major rulings where the courts have ruled against the Government, BUT have SUSPENDED their ruling for a certain period of time, to allow Governments to correct the situation and/or change the law.

Or, alternately, they have suspended the effect of their ruling to allow time for an appeal process to take place.

Either way, I would be quite surprised if their isn't a similar process in the U.S.

Which suggests to me that the Judges really WANTED to throw out the restrictions immediately.   At least, that's my "read" on it...

May 18 20 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

LightDreams wrote:

In Canada, there have been many major rulings where the courts have ruled against the Government, BUT have SUSPENDED their ruling for a certain period of time, to allow Governments to correct the situation and/or change the law.

Or, alternately, they have suspended the effect of their ruling to allow time for an appeal process to take place.

Either way, I would be quite surprised if their isn't a similar process in the U.S.

Which suggests to me that the Judges really WANTED to throw out the restrictions immediately.   At least, that's my "read" on it...

We have an appeals system and the order has been appealed which is more or less the equivalent of it being suspended until a decision can be made higher up the judicial food chain. Sometimes that does not occur quickly due to a backlog of previous cases that must be considered first.

May 18 20 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

This is not surprising but it is hideous. I can't imagine actually wanting to falsify numbers even though it means many more people may die. I watched footage of the Nuremberg Trials when I was a kid, have the lessons of that tragedy been forgotten?
Are humans really that shallow and vile?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-covi … 54034.html

May 19 20 07:45 am Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Video of a woman at Trader Joe’s who refuses to wear a mask and gives the workers a hard time. (Too polite: She acted like a flaming asshole.) She repeats she doesn’t have to wear a mask because she’s not sick. Seven days after she took this video she came down with Covid19 symptoms. Don’t yet know if she’s positive for CV19, but during this entire encounter she could easily be contagious for CV19.

https://youtu.be/Pk6nn-ZLFFE

May 19 20 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

rfordphotos wrote:
[...]

I wonder how all those folks who told us "it is all going to work out fine" feel now....

Have we buried enough people to convince them they were wrong?

and, here is the answer to my question:

Rather than seeing nearly 100,000 dead as the TOTAL failure of his administration---- Trump calls them....
.... a "badge of honor"

1 hr 6 min ago
Trump calls high US Covid-19 numbers "badge of honor" because it means more testing

From CNN's Nikki Carvajal
---- https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/us-cor … 956fe22235

President Trump said today that he is considering a travel ban on Latin America and called the high number of US Covid-19 cases a “badge of honor” because it means the US is testing more people.

[...]

“By the way,” the President interjected, “when you say that we lead in cases, that’s because we have more testing than anybody else.”

“Actually the number of cases, and we’re also a much bigger country than most, so when we have a lot of cases, I don’t look at that as a bad thing, I look at that as, in a certain respect, as a good thing, because it means our testing is better,” he said.

“I view it as a badge of honor. Really, it’s a badge of honor,” Trump said. “It’s a great tribute to the testing and all of the work that a lot of professionals have done.”

disgusting. absolutely disgusting.

May 19 20 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Came across this site today. Shows the rate of transmission for every state.
Will be interesting to watch as various places start "opening up".

https://rt.live/

May 19 20 03:57 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Baanthai wrote:
Video of a woman at Trader Joe’s who refuses to wear a mask and gives the workers a hard time. (Too polite: She acted like a flaming asshole.) She repeats she doesn’t have to wear a mask because she’s not sick. Seven days after she took this video she came down with Covid19 symptoms. Don’t yet know if she’s positive for CV19, but during this entire encounter she could easily be contagious for CV19.

https://youtu.be/Pk6nn-ZLFFE

Before I go any further, a warning to anyone that hasn't watched this.  It was over 20 minutes of a shrill woman arguing with store employees and bible thumping her esoteric copy of the trump version of Mein Kampf, with background characters wearing trump 2020 hats.  The cops never showed.

Baanthai: I do not disagree with your assessment.  It is unfortunate though, that people there agreed with her, as will many more.  I don't remember any history lessons where they taught us that the revolution was fought so we could stick it to our neighbors.  Of course, the supporters of the king did tend to move to Canada after the war.  I am sure that there will be a trump somewhere tweeting support for this uninformed, aggressive, self centered simpleton.

She was out of touch with her situation if she felt like she wasn't there to give people a hard time.  She seemed empowered by standing up to the man.  But rather than demanding her rights on private property (open to the public is not the same as public property), she should go into government offices and try that stuff.  Tell those career employees that they can't tell her what to do because they were never elected.  God, can you imagine the ballot if every civil servant had to be elected every few years?  Could you imagine the chaos if an administration couldn't hire people to run the government that agreed to follow the mandate of the leader?  (Though we have now seen the down side of it.)  After all, who elected Steven Miller or Jared Kushner?  (Remember the outrage when Bill allowed Hillary to be part of the administration?)  It was interesting to note that the self righteous antagonist adamantly defended her right to record other people and sneered at those that recorded her.

Anybody know of a serious scientific paper that claims the wearing a face mask causes harm because you have to breath back in your own CO2?  Nor did she know what the viruses are.

Baanthai:  Where did you find out she had CV-19 symptoms?  Any indication if she was charged with disorderly conduct or trespassing?

If I was the store manager, her and her friend would have left without their groceries. 

It was clear that she was of the mind set that her rights superseded other people's rights and there was and is no requirement to consider other people.  While she harped on the claim that the survival rate is 99%, she cared noting for those that don't survive or the hardship of a hospital stay could cause for other people.  If she does have CV-19, I hope it teaches her some perspective.

I will say she was almost as repetitive as trump and though her thought pattern was emotional and irrational, she was more articulate than trump (very low bar) and similarly informed.  She seemed very pleased with herself.

May 19 20 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

rfordphotos wrote:

rfordphotos wrote:
[...]

There are no words...

May 19 20 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

nwprophoto wrote:
Came across this site today. Shows the rate of transmission for every state.
Will be interesting to watch as various places start "opening up".

https://rt.live/

Bookmarked, thanks for posting.

91,845 deaths and rising. Still at a 6% death rate, that is holding steady.

May 19 20 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Another mask incident, this time at Costco, where there is a mandatory mask policy at all entry doors.
Didn't turn out the way the "freedom fighter" expected. Kudos to the manager, he did the right thing.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i-wok … yptr=yahoo

May 19 20 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

There is a mandatory mask policy here in Michigan.  Even though it is uncomfortable for me I wear the mask.

May 19 20 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Proud to be #1

May 20 20 05:05 am Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Baanthai:  Where did you find out she had CV-19 symptoms?  Any indication if she was charged with disorderly conduct or trespassing?

The initial news story came across my Twitter feed, but I don’t remember the publication. (I only follow main stream media sources on Twitter so the initial article I saw would have been from a major news source.) In that article it said several days after the Trader Joe’s incident, she posted a video to her FB account that said she felt sick and had a sore throat and swollen lymph nodes. (I haven’t seen that video.)

Sore throat is a recognized symptom of CV19. Flu season has well past by now. She obviously doesn’t take safeguards to protect herself. She could have been CV19 positive during the encounter. Below is a link to a Daily Mail article about the incident and her FB post.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … hroat.html

May 20 20 06:02 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Another failed attempt in the Covid_19 "responsibility wars."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/members-reje … 52966.html

May 20 20 08:31 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Car had to go into shop.  They get to add on an extra $40 "Covid-19 Cleanup" surcharge" onto the bill now.

No doubt we'll see more surcharges due to this bug.  I can envision a tonsorialist's Covid-19 surcharge for disposable drapes, gloves, masks, cleaning supplies, etc.

May 20 20 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

One anecdotal possible upside I have noticed:   Have not seen a SINGLE motorized scooter infesting the streets and sidewalks and left wherever, and no vaccine needed.

May 20 20 09:25 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Focuspuller wrote:
One anecdotal possible upside I have noticed:   Have not seen a SINGLE motorized scooter infesting the streets and sidewalks and left wherever, and no vaccine needed.

RIDE scooters disappeared months ago around here.  Many were found tossed into canals when they occasionally drop the water levels to look for bodies.  Police said some were dismantled and drug users found ways to manufacture their drugs using their batteries.  Independent re-charger guys got into fights picking them up.  Whomever owned the things took a big loss here.

May 20 20 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

More blatant stupidity, no surprise...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house- … 00476.html

May 20 20 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Shadow Dancer wrote:
More blatant stupidity, no surprise...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house- … 00476.html

Not to mention the 29 MILLION doses of hydroxychloroquine trump made taxpayers pay for. Then there is this:

"Yale New Haven stops use of controversial malaria drug Trump says he takes"

https://www.nhregister.com/news/coronav … HR_Insider

May 20 20 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

From CNN (Today):

"US could have prevented majority of deaths and cases if it shut down sooner, new model finds"

"If the United States had implemented social distancing policies just a week sooner, it could have prevented more than half the number of coronavirus deaths and infections, according to new research from Columbia University.

And if the country had locked down two weeks earlier than it did, it could have prevented 84% of deaths and 82% of cases, said the the research team, led by epidemiologist Jeffrey Shaman."
[...]

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/cor … 019c9bcc75

May 21 20 04:19 am Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

LightDreams wrote:
From CNN (Today):

"US could have prevented majority of deaths and cases if it shut down sooner, new model finds"

Assuming there will be a vaccine someday?
Isn't herd immunity at this point in time still
the most likely scenario?

May 21 20 05:52 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

nwprophoto wrote:
Isn't herd immunity at this point in time still
the most likely scenario?

Seems that it won't happen without a vaccine.

May 21 20 06:16 am Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

As we rush to find a Covid19 vaccine, the old saying “Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it” is more relevant than ever. Remember Polio? Old guys of this thread-remember standing in line as a kid for your polio vaccine? Do you remember the “Cutter Incident” Here’s a brief excerpt about it:

In April 1955 more than 200 000 children in five Western and mid-Western USA states received a polio vaccine in which the process of inactivating the live virus proved to be defective. Within days there were reports of paralysis and within a month the first mass vaccination programme against polio had to be abandoned. Subsequent investigations revealed that the vaccine, manufactured by the California-based family firm of Cutter Laboratories, had caused 40 000 cases of polio, leaving 200 children with varying degrees of paralysis and killing 10.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1383764/

If we produce a “political” vaccine, we stand a good chance of repeating the “Cutter Vaccine Incident”.

May 21 20 06:22 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Baanthai wrote:
If we produce a “political” vaccine, we stand a good chance of repeating the “Cutter Vaccine Incident”.

Personally, I DO think there will be a vaccine at some point.  And I do prefer plans that are aimed at getting as many people as possible, through until then,

I suspect that it will be pretty easy to spot a "political" vaccine.  Is it only being touted by a really partisan (economic goals over science) type administration, and are the doctors and scientists raising questions about it?

It was pretty easy to spot the hydroxychloroquine and Clorox bleach fiascos.  And I would suggest that the Cutter Vaccine incident is the very reason there are now so many testing stages, starting with tiny testing groups and building up from there..

So yes, I think it may well be a difficult path, with a likely second round (according to our health officials here).  But, long term, I AM optimistic.  Maybe I'm just completely mad, but we'll see!

May 21 20 09:41 am Link