Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Pandemic Warnings

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
Remember this:
I did admit I was wrong on what Limbaugh said, not that I thought it was appropriate for Focuspuller to insist on an apology when I was already being spoken of with such ill-founded sarchasm, and no one apologized to me.

" First, that isn't a quote from Limbaugh.  That isn't what he said, so apparently you are commenting on Focuspuller's personal views.  "

THAT was YOU accusing ME of misquoting the medical expert Limbaugh. I know it may be dizzying on that very high horse you are sitting on, but your defenses of the indefensible are laughable.

Mar 18 20 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

Focuspuller wrote:

" First, that isn't a quote from Limbaugh.  That isn't what he said, so apparently you are commenting on Focuspuller's personal views.  "

THAT was YOU accusing ME of misquoting the medical expert Limbaugh. I know it may be dizzying on that very high horse you are sitting on, but your defenses of the indefensible are laughable.

First, just to be clear, I already acknowledged my error way back.  Second, your sarcasm proves my point.  You are just another sarcastic bully.  My point that Limbaugh was correct stands.  You aren't entitled to your own facts no matter how much you hate Limbaugh.

Mar 18 20 11:17 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

This Limbaugh silliness has gone on long enough.  Let's leave it to the professionals (the WHO) and the professionals / fact checking on what Limbaugh said:

------
From the March 11, 2020, edition of Premiere Radio Network's The Rush Limbaugh Show

RUSH LIMBAUGH (HOST): But I’m telling you, folks, I have — there’s so many red flags about things happening out there. This coronavirus, they’re just — all of this panic is just not warranted. This, I’m telling you, when I tell you — when I’ve told you that this virus is the common cold.
-------

Reuters reporting of the WHO (Fact Checking):
The World Health Organizations says: "Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). The most recently discovered coronavirus causes coronavirus disease COVID-19." ​

The Stanford Children’s Health clearly explains the distinction needed to understand this false claim: "A novel coronavirus is a new coronavirus that has not been previously identified. The virus causing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), is not the same as the coronaviruses that commonly circulate among humans and cause mild illness, like the common cold.​” While it is in the family of coronaviruses, COVID-19 is a new virus affecting humans.

VERDICT

False: The new human coronavirus is not the same as a common cold
-------

Mar 18 20 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

LightDreams wrote:
VERDICT

False: The new human coronavirus is not the same as a common cold
-------

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/anima … tive-rhino

First fact on the page above, regarding horses and rhinos.
As an analogy this seems similar to pointing at a horse and saying "Look, a rhino."
"Nope, that's a horse."
"Well they are related genetically so that is a rhino because I said so."

We allow children in the first grade to make up stuff like that but most of them grow out of it over time.

Mar 18 20 01:07 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

There are eight species of bears in the world.  Meaning that there are eight members of the family Ursidae.  Most, but not all, in the genus Ursus.  Some people would look at the bears and see the differences in the physical characteristics.  Some are larger in size.  Some are noted for their coloration.  (Some have a wide variety of coloration.)  So, it may be sufficient to look at the species and shrug off that they are all bears, so they must all be carnivores but many variations require further examination to discover.   Two species primarily eat insects, including the species with the largest canine tooth to body ratio.  Another species eats bamboo.  You would not learn these things without further observation.

I have never encountered any bear in nature other than the most common of the species, the North American Black Bear, and none have wanted anything more to do with me, than I with it.  Except, I take pictures when I can. They have been in my camps, attempting to reach the food cache, and as long as I stay in my tent, everybody is happy.  So far.  I have been fortunate enough to never be in between a sow and her cub.  If I were ever to encounter a couple of other species of bear, I would not count on the same behavioral traits from that critter, that I would expect from the NA Black Bear.  Lest I be dead meat.  Quite literally.

I don't know how many strains of coronavirus there are.  From what I have read, four strains are mild and cause symptoms like the common cold.  But there are more than 200 viruses credited with causing the common cold.  A third of colds are caused by Rhinoviruses.  Covid-19 is a new strain of coronavirus, never before seen in humans.  To call it the same thing as a common cold, is to consider a Brown Bear and a Sun Bear as equals.  It is absurd.  It is dangerous, and if you are face to face with the wrong one, it is a potentially deadly error.  The person who is the source of that bad information doesn't give a poop if the bad information gets someone killed.  People like that thrive on creating controversy.  People that are his potential collateral damage can very well end up dead.  It is no different than the person that blindly follows and shares bad advice- when there is plenty of reliable information indicating the advice is bad, he is also responsible for his reprehensible actions and lack of easily obtainable knowledge.  Who really wants that blood on their hands?  The person who will do such a thing will also do a 180 and deny saying what they have said all along.

A comparison of the impacts of the various strains of the virus on a spectrum of people should drive the discussion.  There is nothing "common" about the coronavirus-19.  Not every bear/human encounter results in a mauling of the human, but that doesn’t mean the potential isn’t there given the right species of bear and circumstances.  Every encounter with Covid-19 isn't going to result in death, but that doesn't mean the potential isn't there.  The results of actions or inactions should also be the criteria that we use to evaluate leadership.  Not one result.  Not one action.  Not the thing that supports predisposed positions.  All of them matter.  To be intransigent to the point of blind loyalty is not an admirable trait or particularly healthy.

Mar 18 20 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

There is no such thing as THE "common cold virus".

The symptoms collectively called "the common cold" can be caused by over 200 separate, distinct viruses. The VAST majority of those are rhinoviruses.

There are FOUR (4) coronaviruses known to potentially cause "the common cold"
229E (alpha coronavirus), NL63 (alpha coronavirus), OC43 (beta coronavirus) and HKU1 (beta coronavirus).

These four coronaviruses have infected humans for literally thousands of years.

There are now THREE (3) other coronaviruses known to have infected humans:

(1) MERS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS)

(2)SARS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS)

(3)SARS-CoV-2 (the novel coronavirus that causes coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19)

sources: US Center for Disease Control, The World Health Organization

to say they are "the same" is about like saying a hummingbird and a blue whale are the same because they are both animals...

Mar 18 20 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
...your sarcasm proves my point.  You are just another sarcastic bully.  My point that Limbaugh was correct stands.  You aren't entitled to your own facts no matter how much you hate Limbaugh.

Oh please, "sarcastic bully", snowflake?  FYI, sarcasm is the appropriate response when you insist on posting howlers like, "Trump is a manager extraordinaire, and he reportedly uses his cabinet like a manager should,"and when you feel compelled to refute a Limbaugh falsehood, then stand by it anyway. Then there is the staggering unself-awareness: "You aren't entitled to your own facts." Indeed.

Mar 18 20 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

I needed to take a deep breath, considering all that is going on.

So, here is a little something less dire- no controversy, maybe even enjoyable.

An interesting challenge from PBS and Yo-Yo Ma.

This may not be your cup of tea at all, but the idea behind it is something we might all want to consider if this CoVid-19 thing continues looking so damn grim- being a little kinder to each other, sharing a little of what makes us human.

from PBS on YouTube:

"Yo-Yo Ma on encouraging 'Songs of Comfort' amid global crisis

Yo-Yo Ma, one of the world’s most renowned and beloved musicians, is trying to provide comfort in this time of crisis. Ma has been posting videos of himself performing short pieces and encouraging other musicians -- of all levels -- around the world to join him in offering “Songs of Comfort.” Ma joins Jeffrey Brown to discuss the project and play Dvorak."

https://youtu.be/wczq8RjxA9M

Mar 18 20 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Covid 19 continues to ramp up in the US.

https://www.covidus.com/coronavirus/usa/
On the 17th
6509 confirmed Covid 19 cases in the USA
115 confirmed Covid 19 deaths in the USA

On the 19th
11348 confirmed Covid 19 cases in the USA
161 confirmed Covid 19 deaths in the USA

State by state statistics are down the page just a bit.

Mar 19 20 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

rfordphotos wrote:
Yo-Yo Ma, one of the world’s most renowned and beloved musicians, is trying to provide comfort in this time of crisis. Ma has been posting videos of himself performing short pieces and encouraging other musicians -- of all levels -- around the world to join him in offering “Songs of Comfort.” Ma joins Jeffrey Brown to discuss the project and play Dvorak."

https://youtu.be/wczq8RjxA9M

Thanks for posting this and thanks to Yo-Yo Ma for promoting something that can heal souls if not bodies.
I am a musician, I've seen the comfort music can provide.

Mar 19 20 10:31 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/11/15/42/19191985/25/920x920.jpg

Photo: Kevin Hagen, AP

A surgical mask is placed on The "Fearless Girl" statue outside the New York Stock Exchange on Thursday, March 19, 2020, in New York. Stocks are swinging between gains and losses in early trading on Wall Street Thursday, but the moves are more subdued than the wild jabs that have dominated recent weeks.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/ … o-19191985

Mar 19 20 11:19 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

From today's Washington Post

Younger adults are large percentage of coronavirus hospitalizations in United States, according to new CDC data
White House officials warn millennials they are not immune.

"The deadly coronavirus has been met with a bit of a shrug among some in the under-50 set in the United States. Even as public health officials repeatedly urged social distancing, the young and hip spilled out of bars on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. They gleefully hopped on flights, tweeting about the rock-bottom airfares. And they gathered in packs on beaches.

Their attitudes were based in part on early data from China, which suggested covid-19 might seriously sicken or kill the elderly — but spare the young.

Stark new data from the United States and Europe suggests otherwise.

A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention analysis of U.S. cases from Feb. 12 to March 16 released Wednesday shows 38 percent of those sick enough to be hospitalized were younger than 55."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 … -cdc-data/

Mar 19 20 11:38 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

In a discussion today, someone said he believes the CDC and FDA will drag their feet on recommending the use of the Malaria drug to treat Corona patients because it is an old drug and therefore cheap, so nobody stands to make the kind of money they could selling a new drug.

People are dying without it, they should be offered any treatment that shows signs of working.  Especially a drug that has been around a long time and the side effects are already well known.  If this whole thing is as much a serious emergency crisis as they claim it is, why would they not allow doctors to give the Malaria drug to patients today?

Mar 19 20 04:44 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

ethasleftthebuilding wrote:
In a discussion today, someone said he believes the CDC and FDA will drag their feet on recommending the use of the Malaria drug to treat Corona patients because it is an old drug and therefore cheap, so nobody stands to make the kind of money they could selling a new drug.

People are dying without it, they should be offered any treatment that shows signs of working.  Especially a drug that has been around a long time and the side effects are already well known.  If this whole thing is as much a serious emergency crisis as they claim it is, why would they not allow doctors to give the Malaria drug to patients today?

Because drugs are dosed for effectiveness and safety. 

Someone says to you, "Here, take this.  I don't know how much you need to take everyday or how many days to take it.  I know it will work, even thought it has never been tested on this disease."  And then when you take into consideration that the person who is telling you to do that, is notorious for misinformation, are you going to start taking it?  Please tell me that your friend didn't listen to the people that said to drink bleach.  https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu … er-944878/

It isn't a conspiracy to want to know the facts and the science.   FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn, said that use of the drug would be in a clinical trial to find out whether or not it works, and if so, what dose would safe and effective.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business … story.html

Mar 19 20 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

"California orders its nearly 40 million residents to stay at home to prevent the spread of coronavirus"  (CNN Breaking News)

Essential services DO remain open.

Despite the Governor's legal order, he's made clear that legal enforcement will be pretty lax.  He's trying to get the population to pay strong attention and stay at home as much as possible.  And that when people have to go out to the grocery stores, etc, that they should exercise "social distancing" as much as possible.  I.E.  His purpose is to send a very strong message to the residents of California, and not trying to actually enforce a full quarantine, or anything like that.

I suspect we'll see more of these sort'a "social distancing" / "generally practice self isolation" type orders as time goes on.

The order was decided on when their particular best modeling guess was that 56% of Californians would become infected over the next 8 weeks (most with mild cases).

Mar 19 20 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Similar orders by the Governors of New York, Illinois and Connecticut, at least so far today...

And, in other news, GameStop declared itself an "essential business".  Seriously!

Mar 20 20 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

People are asking "When will the coronavirus pandemic be over?".

according to this article on the BBC website: 
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51963486

"There are essentially three ways out of this mess.

(1)vaccination
    (2)enough people develop immunity through infection
    (3)or permanently change our behavior/society

Each of these routes would reduce the ability of the virus to spread. "
--------------------

my view:
Vaccines: The info seems to be fairly consistent- regardless of the expert source, vaccines are 12-18 months down the road, at best. I think they will pull out all the stops trying to get this developed, global economic meltdown seems to add all the urgency they need to spend big research dollars on this.

But it is still going to take what will seem like a long damn time.

Immunity: Short term, probably the only thing that will "save" us. (in my very unqualified opinion). The experts say that like most virus infections, if you survive, you develop antibodies that protect you from re-infection. They havent got much info on this virus yet, but there is no reason to believe it will behave any differently. The biggest unknown about "acquired immunity" is how long it lasts. Some virus infections develop lifelong antibodies- some may only be a few months.

California Gov. Newsom says they expect 50-60% in California to be infected in the next couple months. Most of those people will survive and have some level of immunity, for some period of time.

Permanently change our behavior: Make "social distancing" the norm. "Make work from home" the norm. Elbow bumps and face masks, the norm. No more large gatherings.

I have my doubts that we can change our behavior for two weeks, much less long term. "WE have been waiting for Spring Break for two months---if I get Corona, I get Corona".................

So- how long will the pandemic last?
Dunno- but it wont be over tomorrow.

Mar 20 20 03:04 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Because drugs are dosed for effectiveness and safety. 

Someone says to you, "Here, take this.  I don't know how much you need to take everyday or how many days to take it.  I know it will work, even thought it has never been tested on this disease."  And then when you take into consideration that the person who is telling you to do that, is notorious for misinformation, are you going to start taking it?  Please tell me that your friend didn't listen to the people that said to drink bleach.  https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu … er-944878/

It isn't a conspiracy to want to know the facts and the science.   FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn, said that use of the drug would be in a clinical trial to find out whether or not it works, and if so, what dose would safe and effective.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business … story.html

Under normal circumstances, I would tend to agree with you, but these are about as far from normal circumstances as we can get.  We hear forecasts of anywhere from 50% to 80% of the population becoming infected before this is over.  Estimates range for 700,000 to 1,250,000 will die.   People are already suffering economic hardships and we are only a few weeks into something that could last a year or longer.  The economy won't survive a few months of this, certainly not a year or longer.  The majority of people are not going to obey and sit in their homes for very long, perhaps within such a short time as just a month from now.  There is fear the medical establishment will collapse under the patient load.  People who need urgent treatment for all health issues other then Corona will be delayed, or even die.

Here we have chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine that have shown signs of being effective.  These drugs are already tested for side effects, available and have been used for years on other health issues.  Why should patients, especially those in high risk groups, be denied this opportunity today, now?  Like I said before, if this is such a big serious life and death emergency as they tell us it is, then all stops should be pulled out to treat it.  No time for foot dragging, do it and do it now.

Promising new drugs like remdesivir  are coming, but they are not here yet.  We should use every available tool in the toolbox in the mean time.

Mar 20 20 04:33 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

ethasleftthebuilding wrote:

I agree with you on many points.  If there is no other alternative, then it should be between the patient and doctor if they want to try drugs that are experimental or off label.  If you are going to kick the bucket without it, then it can hardly get any worse.  Though, there could be things worse then death, but that risk is up to the people involved.  You are right, side effects are pretty much known for previously tested drugs.  But the question remains, what should be the dosage?  I suppose you can try a dose that is already used for malaria and wait and see.  But you also don't want to cause a strain to become resistant to the drug being tried out because of improper dosage.

Regarding how many will die:  Who knows.  By doing the things we are doing, we can be substantially reducing the numbers of deaths.  We are doing some of this at the expense to the economy.  During the 3 years of the 1918 N1H1 pandemic, people didn't social isolate. (Whole families died.)  The economy didn't shut down.  People didn't stay home from work.  Now we are shutting down business world wide.  As of last night (Thursday), at 8 pm, I am not allowed to work.  My employee thinks we should flout the rule.  For the moment, I won't.  Agriculture is still allowed to work.  I don't work around people, but I am not going to ignore the rule yet.  Fines may make it unprofitable to ignore the law.   But people out of work aren't going to be healthy if they are struggling for food and shelter.  If they loose everything financially, they are exposed to other risks and hardships.  Millions of people can't suddenly go and live off of the land.

The estimates of 60 million getting the seasonal flu in 2017-2018 was nearly a quarter of the population.  I agree that it is reasonable to predict half will get this.  I think we also need to be prepared for this to have variations and last multiple years like in 1918.  People in China were being denied care for other issues.  I think that will happen here as well.  I am seeing some comments cheering this disease because it will move boomers out of the way and save money on social security.  Which seems to be a drop in the bucket compared to what it is going to cost in economic incentives and the preservation of power.

What I disagree with mostly, from your previous post, is that a cheap available medicine will be held up for approval simply because it will not make drug companies rich.  I don't think there will be a conspiracy to keep it off the market.  There will be far too much pressure from the population if this disease continues to rise.  I heard 600 dead in one day in Italy on the Friday evening news. (And yet there are deniers because they don't personally know anyone that has gotten sick.)  Many times, drug companies don't want to test patent free medicines because of the cost of the studies.  In a case like this, this is exactly the type of situation where the government should be picking up the cost of studies using existing compounds. 

On another matter:  The stores are stocked again.  I didn't look for TP, but meat was back in the cases.

Mar 20 20 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Quite an interesting investigative article by four Washington Post reporters.

"U.S. intelligence reports from January and February warned about a likely pandemic"

"U.S. intelligence agencies were issuing ominous, classified warnings in January and February about the global danger posed by the coronavirus"..., “The system was blinking red.”

By the end of January and continuing into early February "a majority of the intelligence reporting included in daily briefing papers and digests from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the CIA was about covid-19".

It also outlines their efforts, in detail, "trying to get senior officials to pay more attention to the virus".

There's far more in the article, it is worth reading.  See the Washington Post - "Breaking News:  U.S. intelligence reports from January and February warned about a likely pandemic"

Mar 20 20 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

One doctor’s straight talk about the coronavirus strikes a chord with anxious Americans

"Emily Landon, the chief infectious disease epidemiologist at the University of Chicago Medicine, took the lectern following Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) who on Friday afternoon announced the state would undergo a shelter-in-place order for two and a half weeks starting Saturday evening.

“The healthy and optimistic among us will doom the vulnerable,” Landon said. She acknowledged that the restrictions like a shelter in place may end up feeling “extreme” and “anticlimactic” — and that’s the point.

“It’s really hard to feel like you’re saving the world when you’re watching Netflix from your couch. But if we do this right, nothing happens,” Landon said. “A successful shelter in place means you’re going to feel like it was all for nothing, and you’d be right: Because nothing means that nothing happened to your family. And that’s what we’re going for here.”

the entire article at the Washington Post:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 … ronavirus/

Mar 20 20 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

San Anselmo, California, US

GOOD  tip"      Grocery  carts can be a real source  of passing germs/viruses .  People cough they use their hands to cover the cough and  then place their hands on the cart  handles , you may touch you eyes.  BINGO the fastest way to get infected         **.IF**    possible wear  surgical or disposable plastic gloves when shopping .  Good luck to everybody  !!!

Mar 20 20 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

ZMPHOT   wrote:
GOOD  tip"      Grocery  carts can be a real source  of passing germs/viruses .  People cough they use their hands to cover the cough and  then place their hands on the cart  handles , you may touch you eyes.  BINGO the fastest way to get infected         **.IF**    possible wear  surgical or disposable plastic gloves when shopping .  Good luck to everybody  !!!

I've been taking my own cloth shoppng sack for a long time. I don't use a cart.
Now that you mention this, it's time for me to start bagging my own groceries.
And hold them up for the cashier to scan. Still, somebody stocked the shelves, and who knows what they might or might not have?

So my other practice is to avoid touching my face and use a disinfectant wipe on my hands when I get to my vehicle.

Right now gloves are in short supply if you can find them at all, at least up here. They've had limited supplies of toilet paper again. I've got a decent stash, will add a couple more packages one at a time.

Mar 20 20 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Looks like in my state meetings are taking place.  Death Panels?

Plans for who gets care when Washington hospitals fill up:

https://mynorthwest.com/1777567/washing … ronavirus/

Mar 20 20 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

ZMPHOT   wrote:

Excellent info!

With all the doom and gloom it can seem overwhelming. It is important to remember we dont have to solve it all tonite, we just need to plug away at it piece by piece.

There are simple things we can all easily do that they say will help this be less severe. Seemingly small things like wiping down the grocery cart's handle, or wearing disposable gloves while out and about. Just being a bit more mindful of the things you touch every day...

They have talked non-stop about not touching your face. Until they brought it up, I never thought about it. Holy smokes I am gonna have to handcuff myself to keep my hands away from my face... I cant believe how many times an hour I touch my nose or scratch an itch. Really hard habit to break.

If you listen to what the experts are saying about how they want the public to proceed long term, it is these small things we can each do that will help most-  hand washing, being considerate with your coughs and sneezes, maybe some elbow bumps and a bit less time spent shoulder to shoulder on the Muni bus...

LOL---- I always keep my pantry stocked, just the way I have always been..... but dammit they caught me... I only have about a cup of sugar left in the house and NOBODY seems to have any in stock in town right now. Oh the horror...

Thank the gods that's the worst issue I face right now. Soooo many folks have it really bad.

Mar 20 20 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

this is crazy. more people are going to be ruined financially, than impacted by the physical effects of the virus. I cannot believe the hysteria.

you do realize more people are going to die from opioids in the US, than this 'scary' virus? it is like there is a whole planet of 'chicken littles'.

Mar 21 20 03:08 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

DCurtis wrote:
you do realize more people are going to die from opioids in the US, than this 'scary' virus? it is like there is a whole planet of 'chicken littles'.

U.S. deaths from Opiods in 2019 were 69,029 (CDC Gov Statcast).

So you're personally predicting a COVID-19 fatality figure that is, compared to the current models, on the low side almost to a stunning degree.

You are, like everyone else, entitled to your own prediction.  That doesn't make it a fact.  Only time will tell.

In Italy, as this pandemic accelerates, 627 more people died just yesterday alone.

Your point about the financial impact is fair enough.  It's the result of trying to avoid truly dramatic fatality figures that are WAY beyond your prediction.  Should all of these steps result in figures that are anywhere near your prediction, then I suspect that the dramatic actions being taken to limit the pandemic deaths will be judged as having been quite successful.

Although, as we previously discussed, calling ANY number "successful" is difficult considering the impact at an individual and family level.

[EDIT] Just an FYI update.  Yesterday's COVID-19 death figure for Italy was more than double their death rate for all drug deaths combined over the course of an entire year.  Just to keep the figures in perspective.  [/EDIT]

Mar 21 20 05:30 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Speaking of financial impact, the Peace corps is returning 7,300 volunteers from their posts, ending their service agreements, telling them to self quarantine, without any assistance or unemployment benefits, when the Peace Corps has suddenly made them homeless.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics … story.html

Article about Dr. Fauci

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl … story.html

Mar 21 20 05:51 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

I'm in Illinois, a state going into lock down for a month starting 5 PM tonight.  My daughter's college graduation ceremony in May has been deferred to a later date.  That leads me to believe my state is thinking beyond a one month.

Mar 21 20 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

DCurtis wrote:

As this comment proves, its not "chicken littles". It's ostriches. Clueless ostriches.

Mar 21 20 09:34 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I'm curious as to what degree all these flying Petri dishes, i.e airlines, from different countries do to sanitize their cabins between flights - if they ever do.  Also, they've managed to squeeze the seats together so much that people are almost sitting on each other's laps so the WHO's new "6 foot social space rule" goes out the window.

Some customer poll on airline cleanliness is here:  https://www.worldairlineawards.com/worl … ness-2019/

EVA Air is Taiwan based and only 2 deaths show up on the map for Taiwan:  https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar … 7b48e9ecf6

Japan Airlines and ANA All Nippon Airways has total of 29 deaths in Japan.

Singapore Air (Friend thinks they are very clean, but expensive!) shows only 2 deaths in Singapore.

Oddly, no America based airline is mentioned at all.  Best North America Cabin Cleanliness 2019 goes to Air Canada.  USA airlines could be at fault for delivering the mess, yet they want a huge bailout.

Wondering the same for the floating sewage barges, i.e. cruise ships.

Mar 21 20 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

GRMACK wrote:
Wondering the same for the floating sewage barges, i.e. cruise ships.

The cruise lines have been disease transmitters for years. This current crisis may at last put many of them underwater permanently.

Mar 21 20 11:01 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://scontent.flas1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/90359808_10156763488797536_388483262256775168_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=-ecWWqd28xcAX8r1rC3&_nc_ht=scontent.flas1-2.fna&oh=0dec3ae855d4b0eb54a1dfb39a35d3b0&oe=5E9C3E20

Mar 21 20 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

GRMACK wrote:
I'm curious as to what degree all these flying Petri dishes, i.e airlines, from different countries do to sanitize their cabins between flights - if they ever do. .

If I had to choose between a NY subway and an airline I would pick the airline.
While I don't have any data, my theory is all mass transit high risk.

Mar 21 20 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Any info about Russia?

Mar 21 20 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
https://scontent.flas1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/90359808_10156763488797536_388483262256775168_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=-ecWWqd28xcAX8r1rC3&_nc_ht=scontent.flas1-2.fna&oh=0dec3ae855d4b0eb54a1dfb39a35d3b0&oe=5E9C3E20

You're TOO CLOSE!!!    Hah!  smile

Mar 21 20 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

IMAGINERIES wrote:
Any info about Russia?

If there was would you trust it?

Mar 21 20 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Fun fact: Trump has provided for increases to the CDC budget each year, although he has cut a lot of other budgets back.
However, from Feb. 26, 2020, multiple media outlets falsely implied or stated that President Trump slashed, cut or gutted the budget for the Centers for Disease Control.

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
... we have just formulated a new national approach to dealing with pandemics that, if it works, may becomes the basis for future plans.

Trump ordered:
an early travel ban on  foreign nationals who visited China.   
screening and quarantine of US citizen who has traveled to China.

Biden immediately criticized Trump's action along with a WHO spokesperson.
However you have probably heard Dr. Fauci of HHS announce that it was a hugely effective and critical action.
Biden continues to double-down on his criticism.

Trump ordered restrictions on travel from 28 European countries and implemented enhanced screening processes for US citizens traveling from these countries.

So, I believe early travel restrictions and screening processes will become a new national approach.

The Trump administration has lifted FDA restrictions in order to expedite vaccine and drug development and distribution.
The Trump administration has partnered with private enterprise to implement  "parking-lot testing" - not yet in practice.

There may be other novel approaches implemented for the coronavirus that will become standard, but I believe we will see these practices repeated for sure.

Mar 21 20 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
Fun fact: Trump has provided for increases to the CDC budget each year, although he has cut a lot of other budgets back.
However, multiple media outlets falsely implied or stated that President Trump slashed, cut or gutted the budget for the Centers for Disease Control.

And he's off!  Yet again...

I can tell where you get your "news", as it conveniently ignores a ton of facts.

"Trump's budget director stands by plan to cut CDC budget".  Here's the catch that let the White House and certain media make the misleading claim that you bought into.  TRUMP'S PROPOSED BUDGET CUT HASN'T BEEN PASSED YET.

Also he's proposed similar cuts repeatedly in previous years.  Both Congress and the Senate overrode those requests previously.

Thus the very twisted claim that he hasn't cut the CDC budget.  The fact checkers say "he hasn't BEEN SUCCESSFUL in cutting the CDC budget".  At least so far.

Although he HAS been successful in removing the CDC team responsible for Pandemic oversight.  The team hasn't been OFFICIALLY "dismantled", but before the Pandemic he fired them and did NOT replace them (or to use your term, he "gutted" the CDC Pandemic Response Lead Team).  He doesn't need approval for these personnel moves, so he just fires and doesn't rehire when the Senate and/or Congress tries to block him.  Then he moved decisions, such as the disastrous one to ignore the early working COVID-19 test and try and make their own in the United States, over to the White House (as there was no longer a expert staffed CDC Pandemic lead group to make those decisions).

Regarding the CDC budget cut, his budget director said that he thought that the individual states should be doing more on the Pandemic preparedness front instead of the CDC.   A position Trump also reiterated recently when the Governors complained about problems getting ventilators and masks.

A similar "slight of hand" logic twist has been recently used by the White House in terms of the fact that they dismantled the other / different team within the White House itself, responsible for "overseeing" all of the Government's various Pandemic and Pandemic Preparedness plans.   The White House now claims those teams weren't actually dismantled but were just "assimilated" into other existing groups.  Same story with similar groups within the HHS, etc.

The problem was these groups no longer were led by people experienced in Pandemic responses (the previous experienced leaders were fired, and have been quite public about it), so you ended up with the lack of general preparedness and the, now famous, blunders that were made in the early stages of January.  As the heads of these new "combined / multipurpose teams" had no expertise at all in the area of Pandemics.  And, unfortunately, it showed.

Mar 21 20 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

LightDreams wrote:
And he's off!  Yet again...

I can tell where you get your "news", as it conveniently ignores a ton of facts.

"Trump's budget director stands by plan to cut CDC budget".  Here's the catch that let them make the misleading claim that you bought into.  TRUMP'S PROPOSED BUDGET CUT HASN'T BEEN PASSED YET.

Thus the very twisted claim that he hasn't cut the CDC budget.  The fact checkers say "he hasn't BEEN SUCCESSFUL in cutting the CDC budget".  At least so far.

Although he HAS been successful in removing the CDC team responsible for Pandemic oversight.  The team hasn't been OFFICIALLY "dismantled", but before the Pandemic he fired them and did NOT replace them (or to use your term, he "gutted" the CDC Pandemic Response Lead Team).  He doesn't need approval for these personnel moves, so he just fires and doesn't rehire when the Senate and/or Congress tries to block him.  Then he moved decisions, such as the disastrous one to ignore the early working COVID-19 test and try and make their own in the United States, over to the White House (as there was no longer a expert staffed CDC Pandemic lead group to make those decisions).

"I can tell where you get your "news", as it conveniently ignores a ton of facts."

OK then where?

"TRUMP'S PROPOSED BUDGET CUT HASN'T BEEN PASSED YET."
That's a ridiculous statement.  A "proposed" budget is one that hasn't been passed by definition.  I'll ignore your mental slip.
Nope.   The 2019 budget was passed and included an 11% increase for HHS, if memory serves.

"Thus the very twisted claim that he hasn't cut the CDC budget.  The fact checkers say "he hasn't BEEN SUCCESSFUL in cutting the CDC budget".  At least so far."  Pleeease!  That's propaganda.  It implies intent to cut the budget.  'Prove it!  You can't!  It's "fake news", (or "twisted, fake news" if you like).

You seem to be so angry about all this!  Why are you saying all these other things?  What do they have to do with what I said?

We know he fired people in the CDC.  'Maybe you think he's not experienced enough to do that?  What does that have to do with what I said?

Mar 21 20 06:53 pm Link