Forums > Model Colloquy > Can we shoot ? Um...

Model

Mariska

Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Ok girls... and guys. This is something that has always bothered me.

My question ? How do you turn down a photographer ?

Do you tell them their work wont do in your port or do you give them sky high rates ?

(And if anyone is wondering - this isn't directed in anyone - I'm just trying to find a way for the future)

Oct 12 05 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

Cut through the BS and nicely as an email can be say I am not interested at this time...  Your style is wonderful but as a model I am moving in a different direction...

Oct 12 05 03:21 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

Ok so I am guessing you mean how do you tell a photographer that you don't want to do TF-whatever with him?

Hmmm...

well there is a forum chastizing this but you could simply not answer his inquiry. 

You could also tell him you are not accepting TF-whatevers at the time because of a busy schedule or strapped funds or whatever, but you appreciate his inquiry and will keep him in mind when your schedule frees up (which could be never but the photographer doesn't have to know that).  I think that is a nice one...

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

DragonFlyImage wrote:
Cut through the BS and nicely as an email can be say I am not interested at this time...  Your style is wonderful but as a model I am moving in a different direction...

Ok or that works smile

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I agree. Cut out the BS and simply say you do not feel they suit what you are seeking at this time.
You are absolutely striking and I love your photographs.With looks and a presence such as yours you will be contacted a LOT I am sure. So you will get better and better at saying no. We photographers can take it, too. We realize our styles are not for everyone. But of course you will have to deal with a few immature not so professionals who will react as though you turned them down when they asked for a date or something. Ignore those.

I wish you were local, myself. I caught myself actually saying wow outloud as I looked through your photographs.

Oct 12 05 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I think a simple, "I'm not interested at this time." Is enough. It leaves the door open for future contact without the stigma of a no response.

Oct 12 05 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Be honest. Be polite. But don't lie.

Just say that their style of work is not what you are looking to do at this time.

Most will understand and gracefully leave you alone.

Yes, there will be a few who get offended and act mean and bitter in their reply to you. That's life. Deal with it. Move on.

Oct 12 05 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

one mayhem model told me i was an asshole....and she's the one that asked me to shoot her....

i was pretty well sure she didn't want to work with me at that point...

Oct 12 05 03:31 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Make a friend.

I'm going to tell you a short story:

Once upon a time, a new photographer contacted me for a TFP/CD. I turned him down because at the time, I didn't feel that he would add anything that I already didn't have to my book enough to travel to him. And I forgot about him. About 6 months later, I happened across his portfolio website online and his work was stunning. I check back at his work from time to time and he has gotten to be amazingly talented. I saw a lot of the starter models and some new ones. But he doesn;t do TF anything anymore.

So, don't turn him/her down....just let them know that at this time, you aren;t available for it and keep in touch. Maybe their work will get to be really great and you don;t want to burn that bridge that might help you out one day.

Oct 12 05 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

How do you nicely turn down a photographer and ensure he never contacts you in the future ? Easy.
Tell him you'll be bringing your jealous boyfriend to the shoot and he refuses to be further than 15 feet from you during the shoot.

jk smile

Oct 12 05 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
Make a friend.

Once upon a time, a new photographer contacted me for a TFP/CD. I turned him down because at the time, I didn't feel that he would add anything that I already didn't have to my book enough to travel to him. And I forgot about him. About 6 months later, I happened across his portfolio website online and his work was stunning. I check back at his work from time to time and he has gotten to be amazingly talented. I saw a lot of the starter models and some new ones. But he doesn;t do TF anything anymore.

So, don't turn him/her down....just let them know that at this time, you aren;t available for it and keep in touch. Maybe their work will get to be really great and you don;t want to burn that bridge that might help you out one day.

That is very true. That also has led to a future paid gig with a popular local model. I recall asking her years ago when I first got into professional photography and she turned me down and quite honestly, looking back and my work from back then, I do not blame her. I lost contact with her until about a month ago when she happened to find me on her own and filled paragraphs full of how much she liked my work now and gave specific comments on certain photographs and why she liked them and how she now wants to shoot with me at our earliest convenience and will even pay for the shoot.

Oct 12 05 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Tell them their work is shit and they'll never ask you to shoot again. Or, be polite.

Oct 12 05 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

That is very true. That also has led to a future paid gig with a popular local model. I recall asking her years ago when I first got into professional photography and she turned me down and quite honestly, looking back and my work from back then, I do not blame her. I lost contact with her until about a month ago when she happened to find me on her own and filled paragraphs full of how much she liked my work now and gave specific comments on certain photographs and why she liked them and how she now wants to shoot with me at our earliest convenience and will even pay for the shoot.

That's pretty much what I was going to say.  Either way, be professional about it.  It's a small world.

-Jennifer Maria

Oct 12 05 04:00 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Eric Striffler wrote:
Tell him you'll be bringing your jealous boyfriend to the shoot and he refuses to be further than 15 feet from you during the shoot.

I prefer jealous Rottweilers to jealous bf's!!!!!!

Oct 12 05 04:00 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I had one guy who kept sending me insane e-mails asking me to shoot with him...I just mailed him my rates and he has never contacted me again. LMAO

Oct 12 05 04:03 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
I think a simple, "I'm not interested at this time." Is enough. It leaves the door open for future contact without the stigma of a no response.

This sounds best to me.

Oct 12 05 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

Lots of ways to do it.  Most of the ones suggested here are great.  HOWEVER, respond in some way - nothing worse than being left hanging.  I'd rather have someone rip my work then not respond.  (He says that knowing it'll probably happen now...)

Oct 12 05 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I'd definitely follow the "don't burn you bridge" advise and be friendly with him/her.

You never know what’ll happen in the next few months/years.

Unless they become ruthlessly belligerent, then I'd tell them you will do the shoot once you've been paroled from the state pen... wink

Oct 12 05 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Lapis wrote:
I had one guy who kept sending me insane e-mails asking me to shoot with him...I just mailed him my rates and he has never contacted me again. LMAO

Mariska wrote:
Do you tell them their work wont do in your port or do you give them sky high rates ?

I don't think this is the way to go. It might give you reputation of a model who thinks too high of herself.

"Ahhh, that one, I know her, she thinks she's Kate Moss though she ain't worth a dime."

Unless you want to look like that I wouldn't use high asking price as an excuse.

Oct 12 05 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

VisionsofZen

Berkeley, California, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
Make a friend.

Great story, yep don't burn the bridges, you never know when it may be a bridge you will want to cross later ;-)  This goes both ways...

Oct 12 05 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Say, "I really wanted to work with you, but so many models have said things about you that I'm afraid to even be in the same state."

But seriously folks...

Tell the truth, whether that the style isn't what you want, or that the work wouldn't help your book or whatever it really is.  Honesty sure makes it easier later when it all comes around again  and it always does.

-Don

Oct 12 05 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

just don't ignore us. thats just plain rude

Oct 12 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

I've never understood why people can't just tell the truth.

I'm not interested.

If you wish to explain why then fill in the blank  __________
a.  your work looks like it would be better if you kept the lens cap on
b.  I've heard your a perv, the kind I'm not into
c.  you only shoot naked women bound gagged and ready to be dropped into vats of honey and I only work in chocolate sauce.

whatever.

unless the photographer is a mentally unbalanced stalker, then they won't keep pesturing you becuase they're under the mistaken illusion that you like their work and the only problem is a "scheduling" conflict.

Oct 12 05 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Don Vaillancourt

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

DragonFlyImage wrote:

Simply tell him/her that their style doesn't interest you.  To me that is the nicest way to saying it.

Oct 12 05 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Just be professional.  Say "I'm not interested in doing that sort of work" or "I'm not available at this time..."  be open and honest.

And to any photographers reading this, if a lady turns you down for work, please be professional as well.  I've been turned down by at least twice as many ladies than have worked for me (and I've worked with well over 100 ladies for my website).  If the model says No, I offer her good luck with her career and move on.  Not every model is going to be willing to do every type of modeling, and that is perfectly reasonable to expect.  smile

Oct 13 05 08:33 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Don Vaillancourt wrote:
Simply tell him/her that their style doesn't interest you.  To me that is the nicest way to saying it.

I've tried that in the past, and a lot of photographers get defensive/rude if their work is used as a reason.  I prefer to simply say I'm not available at that time.

Oct 13 05 11:54 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm presently unavailable but thanks so much your interest.

Don't do the "xoxo" sh!+.

Oct 13 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

Doug Swinskey wrote:
one mayhem model told me i was an asshole....and she's the one that asked me to shoot her....

i was pretty well sure she didn't want to work with me at that point...

yep, that will do it for me as well.

Oct 13 05 06:11 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

Its all about being tactful and classy.

this is how you do it.

Thank you very much For your interest in wanting to shoot with me. However, Iam not interested in working with you at this time, due to My Portfolio needs are rather different than your style......or you can say

"no thank you"

Ciao
ANgela
xoxoxoxxo

Oct 13 05 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Mariska wrote:
Ok girls... and guys. This is something that has always bothered me.

(And if anyone is wondering - this isn't directed in anyone - I'm just trying to find a way for the future)

Hi Mariska!

You're in F'ing Africa. smilesmilesmile -lol-
Just tell them they have to come to you smile

Best,
John

Oct 13 05 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Just be honest and the bulk of these will understand and move to another.

However, please be honest - especially with that "I'm unavailable at the moment" when your page has 4 new tags saying  "Great shoot! - See you next week"  "Wonderful images - just hope I can get scheduled again with you before fall!"  Etc. Etc.

Dead silence as a reply is just rude and disrespectful - Especially if a photographer has taken time to explain what he is looking for and presents an honest and straightforward attempt to contact you as a working model.

There's junk mail that you figure that you can pitch - and then there's throwing away a stamped and hand addressed letter without looking at it.

VintageVista

Oct 13 05 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

"Uncle John stop emailin me! Yer freakin me out!"

EDIT: If you have an uncle John, i`m SO sorry. Was the first name to pop into my head,lol.

Oct 13 05 10:34 pm Link

Model

Mariska

Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Eric Striffler wrote:
How do you nicely turn down a photographer and ensure he never contacts you in the future ? Easy.

jk smile

Lol. That's a good one big_smile Or I could say my father is coming wink

Oct 14 05 06:50 am Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

i would just quote an absurdly rediculously exorbitant rate (the ARE rate) for their project, cuz ya never know

Oct 14 05 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

DragonFlyImage wrote:

Excatly! I rather have an "I saw your images. Sorry I'm not interested", than no reply at all. Honesty is always appreciated here. I know not everybody likes my style - so? Big deal... You can't always win.

Oct 14 05 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Imagemakersphoto

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

As a photographer I would like a truethful answer. If you do not like my style, fine. Give me a very high rate then I will think who does he/she think she is and in the future if you turn up as one of a clients choices my thought would to be nix you as a choice. You never know what or where some one will be in a few years. Maybe his/her phortography sucks, they realize that next year and find out that thay are a wonderful art director or designer. Do you think you will ever work with them on a job even if you want to?

Be polite. Be professional. Just let them know you are not interested at this time. Their work does not fit your current needs. What ever. But let them know and try not to come off as a diva or mean. Asking some one to do a TFP job is just that. It is asking. Yes, no, maybe are all fine answers.

Oct 14 05 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

Mariska wrote:

Tell the photog that he sucks and you'd rather shoot
with a GWC than with him ...

Oct 14 05 01:15 pm Link

Model

Semora

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

If a photographer ask for TFP

Say " I have a doctors appointment that day" lol he'll get the picture wink

Oct 14 05 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I just have to add to the chorus of "don't ignore him." I'd much rather hear, "Sorry, I don't want to be another ugly picture in your portfolio," than nothing. At least there's some resolution.

In the last couple months, the no-responses have been at maybe 50%. It gets tiring and a little defeating.

Oct 14 05 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
If you wish to explain why then fill in the blank  __________
a.  your work looks like it would be better if you kept the lens cap on
b.  I've heard your a perv, the kind I'm not into
c.  you only shoot naked women bound gagged and ready to be dropped into vats of honey and I only work in chocolate sauce.

in a I think it's said "Your work looks like it would be better with the lens cap permanently glued on" ;-) lol
I haven't heard someone say that to somebody in a long time.

...Good times lol

Oct 14 05 01:31 pm Link