Forums > General Industry > has anyone ever "stolen" your idea or concept

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

just curious, have you ever discussed a project or a concept for a shoot with someone, be it another photog, model, MUA, stylist, producer, etc, only to see them then turn around and shoot your idea, or share your idea with someone else then end up being in it/being a part of it?

im not saying it happened to me, but i will certainly be more cautious in the future with giving people too many details of my future planned projects

Oct 14 05 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I notice that whenever I launch a new idea, someone copies it, yes.

Oct 14 05 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Never happened to me, but I'm not THAT famous that it would be worse...
Still: I have a few concepts and ideas I hardly talk about with others from the industry due to the above stated reason. I know it's kind of childish. First another person would do it different anyway and second it's all bee n done before...

..but I can't help it wink

Oct 14 05 07:49 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

It used to happen frequently. One example, I had a person who used to work for me who had moved on to a large magazine. After a conversation that included some info of what I had been working on I started seeing my ideas on the covers of her day job.

A photographer is used to help was storing some things at my place. A box of slides revealed that the photographer had been experimenting with some shots that attempted to mirror my portfolio.

Out right theft, for brevity, a model I know was out of state and noticed a guy in a T-shirt about a block away. She confirmed by the time he had gotten closer that she was on the shirt. Unlicensed image that had been snatched off the web.

Etc.

Oct 14 05 08:08 am Link

Model

Semora

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

Ha don't share your ideas until you are sure you are working with them! I know! BE STINGY! lol wink

if your speaking of work that you already post..well art is all about recycling..taking an idea and improving on it or giving it your style.

Oct 14 05 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Yeppers... even to the point where someone has done a similar set of photos with the same model (I don't blame her, she gets paid to do what the photographer tells her to do, and I doubt most models remember every exact thing they've done...)

This is why I don't share any hints of what I may be doing on a shoot unless it's something I know I can do uniquely...

Oct 14 05 08:19 am Link

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Check out this site:

http://mapage.noos.fr/joelapompe/index.html

It's in French, but you the point is obvious, even if you don't happen to speak that language.

Example:

https://mapage.noos.fr/joelapompe/assets/marathon.jpg

https://mapage.noos.fr/joelapompe/assets/marathon2.jpg

Oct 14 05 08:19 am Link

Photographer

shabaka

WINSTON SALEM, North Carolina, US

Greetings,

I think so, but I doubt it!

Take care,
AJ

Oct 14 05 06:54 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I actually had someone ask me to shoot an exact copy (or just about) of something I'd shot with another Photog.  I was suprised.  I imagine when i Politely said no he just shot it with someone else.

Oct 14 05 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Saint John wrote:
It's in French, but you the point is obvious, even if you don't happen to speak that language.

Commercial art is full of skanks. Just steal it.

Oct 14 05 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

Yea Chili, 10,000,000 photographers stole your idea of photographing models in front of grafitti!  oh and the 'Kill Chill' idea...... could that be a knock off of something? huh? huh? smile sorry man, I couldn't resist such an easy slam! it's all in jest.

Oct 15 05 11:11 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Chili wrote:
just curious, have you ever discussed a project or a concept for a shoot with someone, be it another photog, model, MUA, stylist, producer, etc, only to see them then turn around and shoot your idea, or share your idea with someone else then end up being in it/being a part of it?

im not saying it happened to me, but i will certainly be more cautious in the future with giving people too many details of my future planned projects

So many times I can't even count anymore. Not just for personal or portfolio stuff but for published stuff. Doesn't matter. As much as it can bother me, I'm not going to stop thinking of and discussing concepts and so forth. I'm an idea person, and that's a big part of what they pay me for.

Oct 15 05 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Matthew A Cooke

Cspine wrote:
Yea Chili, 10,000,000 photographers stole your idea of photographing models in front of grafitti!  oh and the 'Kill Chill' idea...... could that be a knock off of something? huh? huh? smile sorry man, I couldn't resist such an easy slam! it's all in jest.

i look through websites for good ideas then i copy them..it makes this whole photography thing much easier and faster...plus now my pictures are way better...then when people say "great shot"  i just reply "thank you i am a genius"...

ha ha ha

idiots

Oct 15 05 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

Cspine wrote:

immitation is the purest form of flattery, Chili borrows from Quentin, Quentin borrows from Sergio, Sergio borrows from Akira, Akira borrows from Shakespeare.

however i view it sort of like the west coast offense, any team can copy it, not every team can execute it.

working on 'Chili's Angels' next ;-)

or i can just shoot naked models cavorting in kiddie pools and call it a day?

Oct 15 05 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

It's like the original sin ideas as long as visual images have been done and done  before. It's always refreshing to think there are new ideas, it's more concepts that are taken from other things we see in this visual world.

Oct 15 05 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Bowlin

Tucson, Arizona, US

Happens to me with sort of an extreme frequency.  Everytime I shoot one of my concepts there are a few photographers who follow my stuff and shoot the exact same thing with the same background, same wardrobe et. within a few weeks.

Even worse, sometimes they hire the same MODEL and use the same outfit and shoot on the same background.  Drives me batty.

As a result I am a little touchy about posting my newer stuff these days, and have had models get mad at me for asking them not to post certain sets we did on the net.

Imitation is flattery I suppose, but I am not well known... just trying to get a leg up in the world, so I feel it detracts from my style and what I am trying to accomplish.

Oct 15 05 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Happened to me just the other day. I did something very original by shooting a model wearing Angel Wings...

Next thing you know, everyone is shooting models in Angel Wings. Grrrr!

Oct 15 05 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Tryingreallyhard Delete

Dallas, Texas, US

Well...I must admit...I'm an idea stealin fool!  If I see something I like...I'm using it!  But I never thought of it as stealing...as long as if anyone ask I don't take credit for it.  If something looks great,  why not?   As they say,  imitation is the highest form of compliment.  (Now, if I only has their budget!)  :-P

brian

Oct 15 05 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

When you think of that Original Idea!!

You can Bet your ass off 999,9999,999 people thought of it before you..

Lets not be to Vain ok

(:-----

Hj

Oct 15 05 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

You know what I hate - you come up with what you think is an awesome idea or concept...  You flesh it out and show you Design director at work or some friends  - and they tell it's been done before and show you the work too...  I hate that..  but let's face it folks - we work in a field where originality is not commonplace - if you've thought  of something chances are someone else has done it...  Let's face it folks - great minds think alike - that statement is more true than cliche....

Oct 15 05 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

yes certainly nearly anything you can think of has been thought of before,

im more referring to something like TV today, someone came up with the idea of a reality tv show, and after it was a hit, everyone starts doing them, or cop shows, or any other theme, one network introduces something that hasnt been seen in a while, maybe even introduces some fresh twist, and everyone else just jumps on the wagon

ok, heres my fashion idea, lets shoot midgets in haute couture fashion, if its successful, everyone will follow suit, instead of doing something different, like shooting dwarfs in haute couture fashion

ahh...anyone is free to take that idea and run with it

Oct 15 05 03:43 pm Link

Model

Naomi Jay

New York, New York, US

Yes but, I was flattered.

Oct 15 05 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

Chili wrote:
working on 'Chili's Angels' next ;-)

or i can just shoot naked models cavorting in kiddie pools and call it a day?

both sound good to me! how about 'weekend at chili's'?

Oct 15 05 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

Cspine wrote:
both sound good to me! how about 'weekend at chili's'?

funny you should mention that, i made a cameo in "Candi's Weekend at Ernie's"

did you see it?

i played the dead guy, Ernie, who only came to 'life" when he was alone with Candi

Oct 15 05 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Here's a philosophical question that (I don't think) anyone has brought up yet...

At what point is it "stealing the idea" & what point is it paying homage to it?

Example #1: Gus Van Sant doing a shot by shot remake of Hitchcock's "Pyscho."

Example #2: Manet's "Dejeuner sur l'herbe" being influenced by Raphael's "Judgement of Paris."

Example #3: Charles Darwin seeing the same exact things as his grandfather did more than a generation ago. Specifically, investigating evolution via natural selection.

Oct 15 05 06:18 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

ThePoser

Holiday, Florida, US

Stealing an idea is like me going and doing the project I am "helping" you with after you just told me you were doing it. Pay homage to something is not the same.

For instance, I had a converstaion with a model about something I was working on and then found out she went out and did it before I had a chance to. Talking about your ideas and then someone doing it is stealing I think.

I also think if you see a picture and it inspires you, that is great, but if you want to do something similar, make if different enough that it is not looked at as a knock off.  I go through these conversations all the time in my other job, ALL the time, it is so sucky when you see a new product out and it looks so much like yours you have to go through your data base and make sure you didn't make it......... I HATE COPY CATS!!!!!

Kaire

Oct 15 05 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

johnnycrosslin

Dallas, Texas, US

almost hourly

Oct 15 05 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

The Photo Chick

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Oct 15 05 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
Here's a philosophical question that (I don't think) anyone has brought up yet...

At what point is it "stealing the idea" & what point is it paying homage to it?

Example #1: Gus Van Sant doing a shot by shot remake of Hitchcock's "Pyscho."

Example #2: Manet's "Dejeuner sur l'herbe" being influenced by Raphael's "Judgement of Paris."

Example #3: Charles Darwin seeing the same exact things as his grandfather did more than a generation ago. Specifically, investigating evolution via natural selection.

i wouldnt think any of the above would be considered "stealing an idea"

i really loved the shot by shot remake, its sort of what i was aiming for with my "KILL CHIL Vol II". which is why i had a production team from Gloria Esteban's Crescent Moon Production company help me out with it while i was in miami beach this summer, still we had no where near the budget, but we did the best we could.

no, its the speaking to a contemporary about an idea, i.e. "hey im shooting versace lingerie underwater in a pool" and then you see the same person you were speaking to doing nearly the exact same thing.

that's insulting

Oct 15 05 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

tyat

Miami, Florida, US

When I first started shooting, I pitched a spread on a new magazine once. It was like their 2nd issue, and they weren't planning to do any fashion or pretty stuff. Just "humourous" photos to go with their articles. Said they didn't have any budget for anything like that. Also asked how it would relate to their target audience.

I then proceeded to tell them what could be done with very little, how I would do it, and it would be quite cool, different, and very much related to their target audience. They replied something about, "Let's just focus on blah blah blah for now." (my other assignments with them.)

Said issue came out, and guess what's in it. To the very last bit of detail. I learned my lesson very quickly why most photographers are protective of their ideas the way they are.

Oct 15 05 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Nope. I steal other's wink Tim

Oct 15 05 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

John Jebbia wrote:
Happened to me just the other day. I did something very original by shooting a model wearing Angel Wings...

Next thing you know, everyone is shooting models in Angel Wings. Grrrr!

hahahahah.... did YOU come up with that idea?? Damn, I wondered who did?  I created the model-looking-in-the-mirror-pose. No one better steal my concept on that one. Cheers, Tim at Portland Filmworks

Oct 15 05 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I'm wary of it happening. Not because I consider myself a genius, quite the opposite actually. 
It's more like the tale of the man who owned one sheep. And he lived next door to a rich man who owned a sheep farm.  Well, rich man decides one day that he's hungry, he wants sheep. What does he do? Snatches the one sheep from the poor man next door. 
Even though I'm not for concept-kidnapping either way, I think when it's a fledgling imitating a pro, it's harmless flattery.  The pro is already established and is on a completely different level.  But when it's the other way around, it's brutal.

I do agree that it's hard to come up with an "original" idea.  But everyone has their own style of expressing that idea.

-Jennifer Maria

Oct 15 05 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

I don't care if someone "steals" or copies and idea from me.
Everyone has different styles and even when photographing the exact same subject we all have different ways of recording it.
Then again I'm crazy

Oct 15 05 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

I have this idea, like I think it would be the bomb with a model.  Ok, like I would have a model stand there, maybe on a beach or maybe a sheet behind her, whatever, and I would like have her tug her bikini bottom off to the side with her thumb.  That would be sooo killer.

Has anyone done that before?

Oct 15 05 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

this may be a radical concept but.......... an electrical tape X over a models nips so she's not legally topless! maybe the goth girls should be told about this. it's almost as good as my blood bath idea, Pulitzer here i come!

Oct 16 05 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

If anybody tries to muscle in on my totally unique idea of photographing models on and around boulders - I'll just have to sue them - LOL     I'm not certain, but perhaps a few people had taken artistic nudes in an outdoor setting before me - so, I'll leave the "Cease and Desist orders" in the drawer at the office about those.

- (For now . .  . . but watch it, if you even THINK about boulders!)   LOL

To be serious, I'm very secure (so far) in the knowledge that I have not yet had an idea unique enough to steal. 

But, at least the first time - I'd be totally flattered (grin)

Oct 16 05 06:20 pm Link