Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Suicide and Violence Help Thread

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

Star Child wrote:

Doin' okay. I've been fighting off lows all week.
How about yourself?

Not bad here. I feel a low coming on. Hopefully I can redirect it into something positive.

Feb 14 10 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Photons 2 Pixels Images wrote:

Not bad here. I feel a low coming on. Hopefully I can redirect it into something positive.

do your lows affect your creativity?

Feb 14 10 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

Lows tend to make me more creative, personally.

Feb 14 10 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Star Child wrote:

Yes. Sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way. If it's an "energetic low" then I'm usually super-creative. If it's a "non-energetic low" then I'm just blah.

Feb 14 10 06:18 pm Link

Model

Aruna

Naperville, Illinois, US

Have any of you ever watched a comedy...and saw yourself in the most unflattering character in that comedy, and gotten really depressed over it?

Feb 14 10 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

San Diego Country Estates, California, US

ArunaDiesPretty wrote:
Have any of you ever watched a comedy...and saw yourself in the most unflattering character in that comedy, and gotten really depressed over it?

Hmmmm... that's fairly specific.  Hasn't happened to me, but I used to have all sorts of things that would trigger my depression (like hearing the name "Donald Trump", for example).  I'd take it as a helpful piece of information - you're seizing on some characteristic that you see in yourself and which you imagine is, in your words, unflattering, which leads you to be depressed.  Figure out what it is about the character that you don't like, and figure out why a) you think you possess those same characteristics, and b) why you think that's such a horrible thing.  Once you've done that, work on changing the way you think about those characteristics - instead of thinking that they're horrible (which leads to you being depressed), mellow your thoughts so that you think they're unfortunate but not anything to really get upset about.  Believe me, it can be done.

I suggest reading the book "A Guide to Rational Living" by Albert Ellis and Robert A. Harper.  I suggest this book at least every five pages in this thread.  It's a fantastic book and discusses pretty much the type of situation you're talking about - how your thoughts about yourself can lead you to be depressed, and how you can change the way you interpret those thoughts so you can avoid depression.  It is not a substitute for therapy, but it is an excellent companion book.

Feb 14 10 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

San Diego Country Estates, California, US

Star Child wrote:

Lows ruin my creativity - or at least ruin my ability to express it.  Partly that's because I've decided to not portray dark subjects in my work, and I find that "creative lows" tend to be on the darker side.  Partly it's because lows sap my energy.

Feb 14 10 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Lawrence Guy wrote:

Lows ruin my creativity - or at least ruin my ability to express it.  Partly that's because I've decided to not portray dark subjects in my work, and I find that "creative lows" tend to be on the darker side.  Partly it's because lows sap my energy.

lows plain sap my energy and hinder my focus. So the definitely affect my creativity from a performance standpoint. I find myself wanting to express myself from a creative process without a problem during lows, but I just can't connect the dots.

Feb 14 10 07:35 pm Link

Model

Crystalgirl

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Thanks for this thread.
Everyone could experience trouble.
Everyone need to be cared about.to be loved.

Feb 15 10 02:25 am Link

Photographer

Rolando Gomez

San Antonio, Texas, US

I have a good section about this topic and the differences between male/female depression as part of one of my chapters in my fifth photography book, it's totally free, http://www.freephotographybooks.com  This is also why I wrote a blog entry, "Is it a Lens Barrel or a Gun Barrel" on my other personal site, http://www.rolandogomez.net  Interesting thread.  There is never too much awareness when it comes to this topic.  Even in the military we had mandatory training on this topic.  If you can save one life, it's worth it.  Thanks, rg sends!

Feb 15 10 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Crystal Wong wrote:
Thanks for this thread.
Everyone could experience trouble.
Everyone need to be cared about.to be loved.

kudos to our sister thread
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=535463

Feb 15 10 09:33 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Star Child wrote:

lows plain sap my energy and hinder my focus. So the definitely affect my creativity from a performance standpoint. I find myself wanting to express myself from a creative process without a problem during lows, but I just can't connect the dots.

me too
I've got a highly creative shoot tomorrow and I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off

Feb 15 10 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Faith EnFire wrote:

me too
I've got a highly creative shoot tomorrow and I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off

You rolling through some low valleys right now? sad

Feb 15 10 09:48 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Star Child wrote:
You rolling through some low valleys right now? sad

yup-mentally and physically
it's fine...just ride it thru and catch myself when I can-"oops thinking negative, maybe if I look at it like this"
I used to say that I'd survive, but I won't accept mere survival anymore. So I've decided that-but don't know exactly what's next tongue

Feb 15 10 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Faith EnFire wrote:

yup-mentally and physically
it's fine...just ride it thru and catch myself when I can-"oops thinking negative, maybe if I look at it like this"

I was teetering on lows all of last week. I had a late night chat with a buddy on YIM yesterday (this morning) about stuff and it helped a lot.
Anything specific that you know of that's needling you?

Feb 15 10 10:23 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Star Child wrote:
I was teetering on lows all of last week. I had a late night chat with a buddy on YIM yesterday (this morning) about stuff and it helped a lot.
Anything specific that you know of that's needling you?

my ulcer is acting up-so that always makes perkiness difficult and I don't know I've got some unresolved feeling from earlier this week
It usually isn't a specific thing for me, just a chemical wave that makes everything seem horrible
i've got a list of people i can call if I need to
I think I just have to hold on to the near perfect weekend me and bf had smile

edit-sorta-cause I have a dark shoot tomorrow--

Feb 15 10 10:38 am Link

Model

Natasha240

Cassina de' Pecchi, Lombardy, Italy

bumping for justice.

Feb 16 10 07:00 pm Link

Model

Natasha240

bumping for justice.

Feb 16 10 07:00 pm Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

for justice?

Feb 17 10 04:26 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Faith EnFire wrote:
for justice?

How'd the shoot go?

Feb 17 10 05:01 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Star Child wrote:

How'd the shoot go?

I was feeling under the weather, so I got a raincheck. maybe next tuesday...thanks for reminding me...I got to write him a message smile
He's a good guy, but didn't want to be sick too

Feb 17 10 05:09 am Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

AH GOTS MAH NEW LIGHTS!  Turns out i have the same ones as Star Child. *chortle*

Different softbox though.

Feb 17 10 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Miss Murder Photography wrote:
AH GOTS MAH NEW LIGHTS!  Turns out i have the same ones as Star Child. *chortle*

Different softbox though.

Mine are hard core. We got street cred. Yours are nicey nice. tongue

Feb 17 10 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

Star Child wrote:

Mine are hard core. We got street cred. Yours are nicey nice. tongue

Picture not related, but awesome like my lights.

https://www.amazingincredible.com/pictures/53-9.jpg

Feb 17 10 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Picture not related, but awesome like my lights.

https://www.amazingincredible.com/pictures/53-9.jpg

Awwwwww. tongue

Feb 17 10 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

iimagein

Houston, Texas, US

She broke up with me...says she still wants to be my friend.

Feb 17 10 05:11 pm Link

Model

Natasha240

Faith EnFire wrote:
for justice?

it's a /b/ thing, pay me no mind.

Feb 17 10 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

iimagein wrote:
She broke up with me...says she still wants to be my friend.

How does it make you feel?

Feb 17 10 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Natasha240 wrote:

it's a /b/ thing, pay me no mind.

I lost my mind long ago so I can't pay you any mind. tongue

Feb 17 10 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

iimagein

Houston, Texas, US

How does it make you feel?

Upset...but almost, relieved actually.

Feb 17 10 09:50 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Heather

Middle Island, New York, US

barely ever come in here. dosent mean I dont need to. not doing well at all

Feb 17 10 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

iimagein wrote:

Well, that's a good start anyway. Upset is normal. Relieved is normal. I think you'll come through fine. smile

Feb 18 10 02:48 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Gabrielle Heather wrote:

*HUGS*

What's wrong?

Feb 18 10 02:49 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Gabrielle Heather wrote:

https://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/6/4/ihasabearhug128571136657168086.jpg

Feb 18 10 04:06 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

iimagein wrote:

laughter is good to increase the relief
https://cdn.didditmedia.com/thumbs/39/f6/39f66163038570b5d997a10edef52c3f-420-280.jpg

Feb 18 10 04:19 am Link

Photographer

iimagein

Houston, Texas, US

Well, that's a good start anyway. Upset is normal. Relieved is normal. I think you'll come through fine. smile

Yeah, I think in the end i'll be ok. It just irks me to no end that I thought I found someone I could create a foundation with, and I feel like a year of my life was wasted. But, i'm relieved because she broke up with me sooner rather than later...she mentioned "who knows, we could get come together again someday," but she could arbitrarily break up with me all over again. She says she did it for my long term benefit, and that God told her to.

Gabrielle Heather wrote:

*HUG*

Feb 18 10 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

iimagein wrote:

Yeah, I think in the end i'll be ok. It just irks me to no end that I thought I found someone I could create a foundation with, and I feel like a year of my life was wasted. But, i'm relieved because she broke up with me sooner rather than later...she mentioned "who knows, we could get come together again someday," but she could arbitrarily break up with me all over again. She says she did it for my long term benefit, and that God told her to.

*HUG*

Gotta say I love the positive approach that you've been taking to these battles. You've taken some big blows and have gotten back up. That's way cool. smile

Feb 18 10 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

iimagein wrote:

*HUG*

You'll be ok.  I reckon you feel relieved because it's closure, you probably saw the signs beforehand of what was coming subconsciously.

Feb 18 10 09:36 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

You'll be ok.  I reckon you feel relieved because it's closure, you probably saw the signs beforehand of what was coming subconsciously.

I totally have to agree with this

Feb 18 10 09:49 am Link

Model

L I L I T H

New York, New York, US

This is also a great thread that I can relate to personally.

It's always great to know that you're never alone.

Feb 18 10 08:55 pm Link