Forums > Model Colloquy > Model fees for topless and nude shoot?

Photographer

My shots

SHAW A F B, South Carolina, US

I just put a thread asking if models fees were set in stone. I'm  interested in doing some topless and nudes photos, in good taste. What would most models charge to do these photos? I would like to see the dollar amount. I'm new at this and want to know.

Dec 27 08 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I only do them on a TFCD basis

KM

Dec 27 08 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There is no industry standard, so it ranges from $30/hr and up from my experiences.

Dec 27 08 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Charles Williams

Apollo Beach, Florida, US

ward wrote:
There is no industry standard, so it ranges from $30/hr and up from my experiences.

really that should be FREE/hr and up smile

Dec 27 08 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Charles  Williams wrote:

lol. well, i was giving them the benefit of the doubt. But yes, i've had lots of them shoot for free. lol

Dec 27 08 10:03 pm Link

Model

Keira Grant

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

ward wrote:

I have heard that some models have charged as low as $10/hr, but then at that point they might as well be doing TF in my opinion.

Dec 27 08 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

LCF Workprints

Boston, Massachusetts, US

some are $300 per hr with an hour min, like 2hr min, other's are per shoot i.e. $100 for implied, $200 for topless, and $300 for full nude, that covers the entire shoot not by the hour. depends on the model, and sometimes even how much they like the concept, and you're work. I've worked with models on a TFCD sometimes just because of their feelings towards how I photograph. ask around to the models you are interested in, and give them a full detail of what you are trying to accomplish, it won't hurt.
- Tha L.C.F

Dec 27 08 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Keira Grant wrote:

I have heard that some models have charged as low as $10/hr, but then at that point they might as well be doing TF in my opinion.

Well, actually, they have. wink

Dec 27 08 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

Whatever you can negotiate.

Dec 27 08 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

My shots wrote:
I just put a thread asking if models fees were set in stone. I'm  interested in doing some topless and nudes photos, in good taste. What would most models charge to do these photos? I would like to see the dollar amount. I'm new at this and want to know.

Why not ask the models you are interested in shooting?

I personally shoot TFCD or charge models, nude or clothed. I have no business case for paying a model. Of course, when there is client money it’s a different story- everyone gets paid. smile

Dec 27 08 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Zairias Photography

Belleville, Illinois, US

I'm not sure for topless but generally speaking it's been around $100.00 hour. It also depends on the model.

Dec 27 08 10:07 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

SeaRoman

Bellevue, Washington, US

25$+ DOE at our studio.

I've seen 150$ -200$ perhour but they were professional from out of town. They also offer a lot of talents. flexible, artistic, complex costumes/props.

Dec 27 08 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

Zairia's Photography wrote:
I'm not sure for topless but generally speaking it's been around $100.00 hour. It also depends on the model.

depends on the model divided by the quality of the images that could probably result, plus the quality of your team minus any other negotiated perks to the shoot. 

Which is all to say, it depends.

Dec 27 08 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Ferris

New York, New York, US

The top ones in NYC get about 100 to 200 per hour.

Dec 27 08 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Chase Studios

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Charles  Williams wrote:

Here in Hawaii it's like pulling teeth to get them to pose nude for $100 an hour, could someone send me some links to the ones who pose for free?
smile

Dec 27 08 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Paul Ferris  wrote:
The top ones in NYC get about 100 to 200 per hour.

. . . and the beginners are paying to be shot.

KM

Photographer

J T I

San Diego, California, US

Doesn't usage figure into all of this too?  I think that is one of the main issues...

Photographer

Marc Benjamin

Fairfield, California, US

The rates are getting lower as the economy worsens.

I run regular quotes in my area and it seems that it's slowly going down.

Dec 27 08 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

J C KUNSTFOTOGRAFIE

Los Angeles, California, US

Marc Benjamin wrote:
The rates are getting lower as the economy worsens.

I run regular quotes in my area and it seems that it's slowly going down.

Buyer's market.

Dec 27 08 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Ferris

New York, New York, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

. . . and the beginners are paying to be shot.

KM

Then they are smart. The ones who I have shot all told me that when they started out they paid pro photographers and now they are the most popular models in NYC.

Dec 27 08 10:24 pm Link

Model

-Titania-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

PM the model you want to shoot. That simple. Like the figure? hire them.  Too high? negotiate.

I often negotiate with photographers until we're both happy.

Dec 27 08 10:29 pm Link

Model

Laura BrokenDoll

Modena, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

ward wrote:
yes, i've had lots of them shoot for free. lol

oh yes, we nude models do shoot on a trade basis, but it shall benefit our port wink
otherwise we charge.
For me, it depends on the use of the images, the hours of work and so on...but generally  for a full nude I charge 100€ for 3hours.

Dec 28 08 02:37 am Link

Photographer

Jay in Houston

Houston, Texas, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
I only do them on a TFCD basis

KM

Add my name to this list as well.

Dec 28 08 06:33 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

It varies massively...as you can see on here some do it tfcd...we are that way as well...if you love our art and want to work with us...then you work with us...we don;t distinguish between nude and dressed...

You can take all the advice from the thread and make offers and negotiate...you can also keep practicing and get good enough that models will work tfp with you.

Dec 28 08 06:51 am Link

Photographer

No One of Consequence

Winchester, Virginia, US

My shots wrote:

I have gotten out of the habit of asking models what their rate is.   90% of them will pull an unrealistic number out of ghod knows where that has absolutely no relation to the actual value of the pictures you intend to take.   How many job offers in the newspaper do you see where they ask you how much you want to make?

Ask yourself these questions: 
- How many good (portfolio-worthy and/or salable) pictures can you get in an hour?
- How much is each "good" photo worth to you?   
- Do you have a plan for recouping your investment, and if so in what time frame?
- How much money can you afford to spend?   How much of that can you afford to lose?

Once you've answered these questions, put up a casting call with the amount YOU'VE decided is appropriate for the job, and see who answers the ad.  Pick the best applicant.  Rinse and repeat as needed. 

When I did it this way I was absolutely floored by the response I got -- I was able to pick and chose among models I thought I'd never get a chance to shoot at all.

You're not paying a model to let you look at her boobies (or to let you take pictures of them).  You are hiring her as an employee to help create a product.  It's not an entertainment expense, it's not a charitable contribution -- it's a business investment, and you should be asking yourself what your return on that investment is going to be.  The amount you pay any employee should be directly proportional to the value of the product they create or the value they add to your business.

Dec 28 08 08:38 am Link

Model

Miss Anna Evans

Astoria, New York, US

My rates for stills are currently $200/two hours, $300/four hours, and $500/eight hours. Those are my rates regardless of wardrobe.

Dec 28 08 09:53 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Miss Anna Evans wrote:
My rates for stills are currently $200/two hours, $300/four hours, and $500/eight hours. Those are my rates regardless of wardrobe.

*applause*
No "cafeteria" plans!

Dec 28 08 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

If I feel beautiful, I'll do topless for free.

When I'm 30 pounds overweight, I keep my coat on, regardless of what people offer me.

bunny

Dec 28 08 09:58 am Link

Photographer

DDC Studios

Bartlesville, Oklahoma, US

Save your money, be patient, and Im sure you can find models willing to do topless for free. You'd probably have better luck on myspace or facebook, as they haven't become Elite Models yet with really expensive camera phones.

Dec 28 08 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Sal W Hanna

Huntington Beach, California, US

Thus far I have not paid a model for any type of shoot.  Find a model that wants to build her book and they will trade work/time with you.

Dec 28 08 10:09 am Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

My shots wrote:
I'm new at this and want to know.

If you are new I would suggest going to some seminar/group shoots.  They will give you some ideas on poses and how to and how not to act.  I would also recommend you get your feet wet on tfp/cheap models to play around with lighting and such.  Once you have an idea what you are doing than you can shell out the big bucks on a worthwhile model (if you so desire).  If you shoot with them right off the bat it will probably be a waste of money.

Extra:
What I did
-Shot anyone and anything TFP nude that I could get in front of my camera
Wasn't always female and wasn't always "pretty"
-Went to as many group shoots as I could
-Always acted respectful
-Paid careful attention to what all the models said they liked or disliked about other shoots with other photographers

Built up a good reputation
everything is gravy in nude TFPland

Dec 28 08 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Sal W Hanna

Huntington Beach, California, US

DDCStudios wrote:
Save your money, be patient, and Im sure you can find models willing to do topless for free. You'd probably have better luck on myspace or facebook, as they haven't become Elite Models yet with really expensive camera phones.

LOL, I second that motion.

Dec 28 08 10:12 am Link

Model

Miss Anna Evans

Astoria, New York, US

I love how many photographers are advocating not paying models. Really. neutral

Dec 28 08 10:14 am Link

Model

Janice Marie Foote

ward wrote:

And rate depends on the "experiences" of the model!

Dec 28 08 10:16 am Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

Miss Anna Evans wrote:
I love how many photographers are advocating not paying models. Really. neutral

Edit:because I thought this was in the photography forum.

We are being honest and telling what has worked for us.  I tend not to pass out information so someone else can make a quick buck. 

If this guy puts out the big bucks for a good model and doesn't get good images he is less likely to ever pay for a good model again.  Let him learn what he is doing than he can look for the pros

Dec 28 08 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Kenzphotos

Anaheim, California, US

My shots wrote:

Practice - get good with your camera and lighting.  Build a strong portfolio and then charge models a fee to shoot topless or nude with you!  Ken Marcus is right!!!

Dec 28 08 10:18 am Link

Model

Miss Anna Evans

Astoria, New York, US

JLC Images wrote:

Edit:because I thought this was in the photography forum.

We are being honest and telling what has worked for us.  I tend not to pass out information so someone else can make a quick buck. 

If this guy puts out the big bucks for a good model and doesn't get good images he is less likely to ever pay for a good model again.  Let him learn what he is doing than he can look for the pros

His portfolio currently doesn't warrant TFwhatever, in my opinion. Why tell him to go find a possibly free, definitely inexperienced model who won't know how to work with whatever lights he's using, guaranteeing that his images will suck?

Anyway, it sucks for people to come into the model forum and insist that we should all work for free.

Dec 28 08 10:22 am Link

Photographer

DVS

Detroit, Michigan, US

I do TFC...Trade For Cookies... https://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4863/cookieyh4.gif

How about trying a few group shoots in your area?  You may find it a great source to fortify your portfolio with a variety of models in one day.

Dec 28 08 10:23 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

A million bucks!... too much? Then we can negotiate wink

Dec 28 08 10:24 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

DVS wrote:
I do TFC...Trade For Cookies... https://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4863/cookieyh4.gif

How about trying a few group shoots in your area?  You may find it a great source to fortify your portfolio with a variety of models in one day.

Cookies work wink

Dec 28 08 10:25 am Link