Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Beauty Retouching Tutorials...

Photographer

Carey Hess Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

As I'm getting into beauty and fashion photography I'm struggling to find good tutorials to help learn retouching. I can't ever get the skin right,the glow that I see, or even retaining texture in so many of the people successful doing this.

After doing extensive searches on the net and on here as well I've just been overwhelmed. So I'm hoping to narrow down the search by asking where a lot of you guys started learning (hey we all have to start somewhere) and your favorite tutorials and learning materials that got you going.

It's time I get away from the bad habits of the blur and other things that I picked up on the way.

May 18 09 09:07 am Link

Retoucher

Vega Retouching

MILILANI, Hawaii, US

\

May 18 09 09:13 am Link

Retoucher

Vega Retouching

MILILANI, Hawaii, US

dp

May 18 09 09:13 am Link

Photographer

STANJOHNSON

Detroit, Michigan, US

Carey Hess Photography wrote:
As I'm getting into beauty and fashion photography I'm struggling to find good tutorials to help learn retouching. I can't ever get the skin right,the glow that I see, or even retaining texture in so many of the people successful doing this.

After doing extensive searches on the net and on here as well I've just been overwhelmed. So I'm hoping to narrow down the search by asking where a lot of you guys started learning (hey we all have to start somewhere) and your favorite tutorials and learning materials that got you going.

It's time I get away from the bad habits of the blur and other things that I picked up on the way.

I would like one as well...............please! [email protected]

May 18 09 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Carey Hess Photography

*bump

smile

May 20 09 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

DAVfoto

New York, New York, US

Carey, check Jake Garn's profile, he had a pretty decent thing about Dodge and Burn

use a 50% grey layer at overlay though, keeps the dodge and burn from desaturating to much, or use white and black at certain opacitys and flow rates.

if you feel like dropping 25 for just a month on lynda.com do that and you will go through some cool stuff, only need one month to learn that crap anyways

May 20 09 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Bassett

Hollywood, Florida, US

I got the Lynda guide, or at least one of them. I learned more by trial and error.

May 20 09 07:11 pm Link

Retoucher

P A P A R A Z Z I

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hmm Sorry to be a bother but could you send me a tutorial as well tongue Though im pretty established in photoshop it couldn't help to read up on something i may not know smile

[email protected]

May 20 09 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Vega Retouching wrote:
pm me your email and ill send you a basic skin retouching(no blur)

send it to me too I do not blur but is good to know others techniques as well it might be easier than what I do.

May 20 09 07:32 pm Link

Retoucher

Vega Retouching

MILILANI, Hawaii, US

KillerShotz Photography wrote:

send it to me too I do not blur but is good to know others techniques as well it might be easier than what I do.

remember i posted it in the retouch forum i think philbert has a copy but send me ur email anyways

May 21 09 01:13 am Link

Photographer

FashionPhotographer

New York, New York, US

She lists great references here and also gives a pretty indepth tutorial.

http://www.christyschuler.com/retouching.swf

- Phen

May 21 09 01:29 am Link

Photographer

Beauty by Divine

Miami, Florida, US

x2 on Christy Schuler

Another great tutorial is the ebook by Gry Garness:
Digital Retouching for Fashion, Beauty and Portrait Photography
http://www.grygarness.com/downloads/preview_ret_fox.htm

Personally, no one book/tutorial shows you everything.

I take a little bit from one tutorial and some more from another and create my own workflow for retouching.

May 21 09 06:10 am Link

Photographer

Stock Photo Showcase

Arlington, Virginia, US

+ another one on christy schuler

I also found this tutorial on skin smoothing to be useful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OydrlfaPOFY
although i modify the techique and either layer mask my work or isolate the skin to be retouched on its own layer

I am also working my way through 70 beauty retouching lessons
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/07 … tutorials/

May 21 09 06:48 am Link

Photographer

S Jonas

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

+4 For Christy, her method, I feel produces the best looking result to me.

May 21 09 06:58 am Link

Photographer

Dallas J. Logan

i need to learn how to retouch...

May 21 09 07:49 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

retouching can make such a big difference in the quality of the photo. those who hire shoot&burn photographers who don't retouch are missing out. the problem we have for something like a senior portrait shoot is that we can't afford to spend 15 minutes per image retouching all the usable images. so we tend to limit retouching to just the ones where prints are ordered but then if the customer gets a CD a lot of those images will be unretouched. i suppose we could outsource the retouching but i like having control over everything. maybe it's just a matter of getting the right set of actions and running those in batch mode ...

May 21 09 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

ShadowBox Studio Photos

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Bruce Hart wrote:
maybe it's just a matter of getting the right set of actions and running those in batch mode ...

I couldn't imagine doing that...there's just way too many nuances and details with beauty retouching that actions and batching would miss.

May 21 09 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

AAA Photo Studio

Miami Beach, Florida, US

KillerShotz Photography wrote:

Vega Retouching wrote:
remember i posted it in the retouch forum i think philbert has a copy but send me ur email anyways

Hey, would that be too much to ask to send these non-blurring tips to me as well? Will be very much appreciated, of course.

A. ;-)

May 21 09 01:38 pm Link

Retoucher

Vega Retouching

MILILANI, Hawaii, US

i been getting crazy email so here it is
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GEEDD1OR
so i uploaded it here
just enter the code on top right side and download

remember this is just the basics
what i been using now is dual curves( it just gives me better control)
but you can get the same result all you need is patience

another great tutorial are here

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 5900&page=
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=286223

May 21 09 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Yannick Lord

Denver, Colorado, US

Haven't had a chance to check all the external links, but a couple of very simple tricks are:

1: Use the clone tool at very low opacity to get rid of the biggest marks. Blend from as close to the are you want to cover as possible.

2: Next do a pass with the heal tool to take out any other obvious marks

3: Duplicate layer and run a median filter at 5 or 6

4: Use eraser or layer mask to isolate just the areas you want toned

5: Set layer properties to lighter color.

6: Merge layers and re-pass with clone or heal to fine tune

May 21 09 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Dallas J. Logan

wow.

May 21 09 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Dallas J. Logan

SFJ Photography wrote:
+4 For Christy, her method, I feel produces the best looking result to me.

I am going to PASS on Christy... I will admit I like some of her techniques, but I don't like the way she retouches.  (That's why SHE has tutorials and I DONT... lol)

May 21 09 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Yannick Lord

Denver, Colorado, US

Yannick Lord wrote:
Haven't had a chance to check all the external links, but a couple of very simple tricks are:

1: Use the clone tool at very low opacity to get rid of the biggest marks. Blend from as close to the are you want to cover as possible.

2: Next do a pass with the heal tool to take out any other obvious marks

3: Duplicate layer and run a median filter at 5 or 6

4: Use eraser or layer mask to isolate just the areas you want toned

5: Set layer properties to lighter color.

6: Merge layers and re-pass with clone or heal to fine tune

Drop opacity too on duped layer if need be to keep a natural look.

May 21 09 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Luis Aragon

Washington, District of Columbia, US

wow

Dallas J. Logan wrote:

I am going to PASS on Christy... I will admit I like some of her techniques, but I don't like the way she retouches.  (That's why SHE has tutorials and I DONT... lol)

May 21 09 07:34 pm Link

Retoucher

P A P A R A Z Z I

Chicago, Illinois, US

I can't exactly agree with that. her methods are very effective.

May 21 09 07:46 pm Link

Model

Cadence Rose

Greenfield, Massachusetts, US

If anyone finds any tutorials for Elements, definitely pass them along my way. Yes, I do search Google frequently, but I'm always looking for more.

May 21 09 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew77uk

Salisbury, England, United Kingdom

Lynda is possibly the best resource I have come across.

May 23 09 01:49 am Link

Photographer

TechnoCandyPhoto

Clinton, Connecticut, US

I made this a while ago.
It's not crazy pro like the retouches people here, but for a place to start it might be alright.

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs38/f/2008/ … Angels.jpg

May 23 09 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

SuperCrash1

West Hollywood, California, US

Speaking from someone who has retouched hundreds of covers, include STAR magazine, shape, muscle and fitness, etc... I just don't get some of the techniques discussed on this website. In my opinion, too much of them rely on "filters", "plugins", and overly complex steps, that sound impressive, but are actually inefficient and unnecessary. Cloning on a low opacity, and in extreme cases, maybe some slight blurring is helpful. Matching grain with the add-noise feature also helps if you have a bad (grainy) image, that has problem areas. A few of the sites show before and afters on studio shot images that are flawless minus a few blemishes, just clone it out. There is no need to high-pass, median, blur, smart blur, blend on overlay, and sharpen...I feel too many pictures are overly processed and end up looking fake, flat, and painted. Unless its an "artistic" concept, it is ok if skin does not look plastic and unrealistic.

May 24 09 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

Dallas J. Logan wrote:

It'd be awesome if your started your own thread in here. I'd certainly pay attention. smile

May 24 09 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew77uk

Salisbury, England, United Kingdom

Dallas J. Logan wrote:

I agree, she has some good techniques, but her overall finish doesnt please me.

Stephen Bradford wrote:
Speaking from someone who has retouched hundreds of covers, include STAR magazine, shape, muscle and fitness, etc... I just don't get some of the techniques discussed on this website. In my opinion, too much of them rely on "filters", "plugins", and overly complex steps, that sound impressive, but are actually inefficient and unnecessary. Cloning on a low opacity, and in extreme cases, maybe some slight blurring is helpful. Matching grain with the add-noise feature also helps if you have a bad (grainy) image, that has problem areas. A few of the sites show before and afters on studio shot images that are flawless minus a few blemishes, just clone it out. There is no need to high-pass, median, blur, smart blur, blend on overlay, and sharpen...I feel too many pictures are overly processed and end up looking fake, flat, and painted. Unless its an "artistic" concept, it is ok if skin does not look plastic and unrealistic.

I more than agree, especially with the unrealistic skin.

May 25 09 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Dallas J. Logan

Skydancer wrote:

It'd be awesome if your started your own thread in here. I'd certainly pay attention. smile

You give me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much credit, and I am humbled by it... Thank you!  :-)

May 26 09 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

May 27 09 02:27 am Link

Photographer

FashionPhotographer

New York, New York, US

Dallas J. Logan wrote:

Andrew Chorley wrote:
I agree, she has some good techniques, but her overall finish doesnt please me.

Considering some of her clients I'd say she's good enough for me.

She has a tutorial because she has the heart of a teacher and you don't?
I can tell you her tutorial is not how she edits  now completely but it's meant to get you close and it's a good start for you to figure out what you like and don't like.

- Phen

May 27 09 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Dallas J. Logan

Phen Mas wrote:

Dallas J. Logan wrote:

Considering some of her clients I'd say she's good enough for me.

She has a tutorial because she has the heart of a teacher and you don't?
I can tell you her tutorial is not how she edits  now completely but it's meant to get you close and it's a good start for you to figure out what you like and don't like.

- Phen

It has nothing to do with the number of clients... It has nothing to do with having the heart of a teacher... It is just a matter of taste... There will be people who will hire you and there are people who would hire me... We both put out stellar products, doesn't make either of us good or bad, it makes it a consumers' choice... I get a lot of work as a retoucher and I teach as well.  I study a lot of retouchers' work... I don't particularly care for her's.  It takes NOTHING away from her talent or skill set...  As a matter of fact, I actually pass her online tutorial onto anyone that wishes to learn.

May 27 09 07:34 pm Link

May 27 09 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

FashionPhotographer

New York, New York, US

Dallas J. Logan wrote:

It has nothing to do with the number of clients... It has nothing to do with having the heart of a teacher... It is just a matter of taste... There will be people who will hire you and there are people who would hire me... We both put out stellar products, doesn't make either of us good or bad, it makes it a consumers' choice... I get a lot of work as a retoucher and I teach as well.  I study a lot of retouchers' work... I don't particularly care for her's.  It takes NOTHING away from her talent or skill set...  As a matter of fact, I actually pass her online tutorial onto anyone that wishes to learn.

I see, I am  think I better understand what you mean, it did not come off that way in your original comment. However, I understand she does have a different style.

- Phen

May 28 09 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Strother

Cleveland, Ohio, US

OK, you need to get these two books

Photoshop Restoration & Retouching
Photoshop Masking & Compositing
    both by Katrin Eismann

also from one of the best retouchers in the game, here is an article that was posted for Amy Dresser:
http://kikamulitzlivno.blogspot.com/198 … esser.html

plus she GIVES A PSD FILE for you to poke around in:
http://www.fearofbodd.com/ADresserSample_RET.psd

her website:
http://www.amydresser.com/

Hope this helps, enjoy!

May 29 09 08:30 am Link