Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

I closed an image by mistake after I was done retouching it instead of hitting the minimize button I hit the close button and double clicked it by mistake and now is all gone. Photoshop should have an autosave feature for when you do something like that you can just undo. sad

May 30 09 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Ann Photography

Peoria, Arizona, US

Consider it a lesson learned.

Save often.  Just in case.

(but I do get the frustration.  I used to do that a lot with essays for school, but on Word.)

May 30 09 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

RGK Photography

Wilton, Connecticut, US

KillerShotz Photography wrote:
I closed an image by mistake after I was done retouching it instead of hitting the minimize button I hit the close button and double clicked it by mistake and now is all gone. Photoshop should have an autosave feature for when you do something like that you can just undo. sad

Sorry your bad

May 30 09 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

RGK Photography wrote:

Sorry your bad

Yeah it sucks a program so expensive it would be nice to have auto save I think I should pitch in the idea to adobe for the next version.  smile

May 30 09 08:37 pm Link

Retoucher

SMAK ENTERTAINMENTS

Pembroke Pines, Florida, US

I agree about that autosave....but i guess with all the changes you make periodically autosave would pose as a bit of a problem..... but hey pitch the idea to adobe.....i'lll be sure to do it to

May 30 09 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

RGK Photography

Wilton, Connecticut, US

Yeah it sucks a program so expensive it would be nice to have auto save I think I should pitch in the idea to adobe for the next version.  smile

Yes, but there are some who like not having auto save because if you want to see what a change will do and the auto save happens and you realize it was a mistake....

The answer is if you have made changes and you think they are worth keeping you need to save. For someone who was working before auto save existed, save early save often.

May 30 09 08:42 pm Link

Retoucher

Glamour Retouch

Columbia, South Carolina, US

Laura Ann Photography wrote:
Consider it a lesson learned.

Save often.  Just in case.

(but I do get the frustration.  I used to do that a lot with essays for school, but on Word.)

+1

May 30 09 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Leroy Dickson

Flint, Michigan, US

Computer 101 - Save, save, save.

May 30 09 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Lynn Helms Photography

Austin, Texas, US

There was just a thread about this the other day. I don't think I'd like autosave. I backtrack way too much. smile Just hit Ctrl-S a lot until it's automatic.

May 30 09 08:44 pm Link

Retoucher

Lunarimaging

Chicago, Illinois, US

I did this once...  never again ><  had a power outage in the middle of something unsaved as well.. I really dont think there's any way around it besides saving often, I wouldnt be a fan of an autosave personally.

May 30 09 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

S de Varax

London, England, United Kingdom

it's somewhat worse when the whole thing hangs on you then auto quits.
/sigh

May 30 09 08:49 pm Link

Model

Stephanie N

New York, New York, US

I share your pain.

May 30 09 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Lynn Helms Photography wrote:
There was just a thread about this the other day. I don't think I'd like autosave. I backtrack way too much. smile Just hit Ctrl-S a lot until it's automatic.

Yes, auto save is dangerous.

Lunarimaging wrote:
I did this once...  never again ><  had a power outage in the middle of something unsaved as well.. I really dont think there's any way around it besides saving often, I wouldnt be a fan of an autosave personally.

Power outages were once a problem for me.  I bought an uninterruptable power supply.   But the obnoxious bleep when the power went off gave my dogs a complex.  As if I needed that bleep to let me know that the lights had gone off!

May 30 09 09:01 pm Link

Retoucher

Melissa Little

Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia

Yeah I save a lot now too, especially when I'm working on my laptop or in case of power outages.

May 30 09 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

1. Why are you blaming the application for where the operating system put the close button?
2. Autosave has been discussed recently, and it has some serious drawbacks to go with the obvious benefits.
3. (optional) If this is a rant, it doesn't belong in the Industry forums.

May 30 09 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Kevin Connery wrote:
1. Why are you blaming the application for where the operating system put the close button?
2. Autosave has been discussed recently, and it has some serious drawbacks to go with the obvious benefits.
3. (optional) If this is a rant, it doesn't belong in the Industry forums.

is not a rant I'm making a suggestion I'm sorry I did not know that this was disscused recently my apologies. Was just sharing an idea

May 30 09 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

RGK Photography

Wilton, Connecticut, US

is not a rant I'm making a suggestion I'm sorry I did not know that this was disscused recently my apologies. Was just sharing an idea

It was both a rant and a suggestion. It is ok where it is.

May 30 09 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools . . . .

KM

May 30 09 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Clearlake Photos

San Jose, California, US

An autosave should save the current state of photoshop and not just the image.  That way, you can still use history and undo.  It shouldn't be that hard to program, since the data is all there already.

May 30 09 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Manuel Rego

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Lynn Helms Photography wrote:

+100

After every layer I create I save what I am working on.  It's a force of habit now.  I've lost a lot of edits to my own stupidity so I got in the habit of saving.

May 30 09 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Manuel Rego wrote:

+100

After every layer I create I save what I am working on.  It's a force of habit now.  I've lost a lot of edits to my own stupidity so I got in the habit of saving.

I didn't even know that you could save by just hitting ctrl-s

So I learned something new here. I'm not too good at remembering the shortcuts.

May 30 09 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

RGK Photography

Wilton, Connecticut, US

I didn't even know that you could save by just hitting ctrl-s

So I learned something new here. I'm not too good at remembering the shortcuts.

when you go up to the tool bar if there is a shortcut it will be shown next to the verbage

May 30 09 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

RGK Photography

Wilton, Connecticut, US

Creative Works LLC wrote:
An autosave should save the current state of photoshop and not just the image.  That way, you can still use history and undo.  It shouldn't be that hard to program, since the data is all there already.

NO.. you are overwriting the file

May 30 09 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Stacy Leigh

New York, New York, US

S de Varax wrote:
it's somewhat worse when the whole thing hangs on you then auto quits.
/sigh

Happened to me twice in the last 6 months!!!! I was FUMING!

May 30 09 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Marietta Photography

Memphis, Tennessee, US

I guess you clicked the popup dialog warning of unsaved changes?  That always catches my attention.

May 30 09 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

I'm having deja vu with this thread/topic.

I've been using "ctrl-s" for so long, I don't even think about it.

But yeah, it would be a bummer to double click on the close button.

May 30 09 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Skydancer wrote:
I'm having deja vu with this thread/topic.

I've been using "ctrl-s" for so long, I don't even think about it.

But yeah, it would be a bummer to double click on the close button.

I felt so stupid I'm like arghh! I meant to close another picture and minimized the one I was working on but I did so fast that I closed the wrong one. Oh well I was just wondering that it would be nice to have a revert feature for when you do mistakes. oh well.

May 30 09 09:58 pm Link

Retoucher

KKP Retouching

Anaheim, California, US

Mine asks if I want to save even if I just breathe on it before I close it- yours doesn't??

One thing I have learned over the years- Save every time you think about it.  I used to have a computer (when I was about 14) that had a faulty graphics card and would randomly crash on me when I was using heavy graphics programs like Photoshop or games.  I learned quickly that if I didn't save every minute, I'd lose something.

May 30 09 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

Creative Works LLC wrote:

Autosave is Automatically saving your file, over itself, period.  You are taking about "cache'ing" (SP?) a temp file for recovery...  Like M$ Office does, but in Photoshop, I would think the sheer size of the files being used would slow the system down everytime it saves a "state" that it would be useless to me.

I just save often and also keep all iterations (untill I feel safe to remove them...)
M

May 30 09 11:41 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

MalameelPhoto wrote:
Autosave is Automatically saving your file, over itself, period.  You are taking about "cache'ing" (SP?) a temp file for recovery...  Like M$ Office does, but in Photoshop, I would think the sheer size of the files being used would slow the system down everytime it saves a "state" that it would be useless to me.

A large Office file is likely to be well under a megabyte unless it has video or such embedded. A small Photoshop file for a photographer these days is likely to start at 20 megabytes, and may well average 100 MB. How long does it take to save that? How much attention from the CPU and other resources does that save divert?

Programming an autosave would be pretty trivial. Programming one which didn't cause unavoidable interruptions and delays while saving the file (even "in the background") isn't so simple. As I noted in another thread, I suspect Adobe hasn't implemented it to avoid customer complaints.

If it's that critical a deal, get a 30 day trial of some systemwide macro and set it up to invoke a Photoshop Command/Control-S every X minutes. Work with it for a day or so (if you can tolerate it), and then decide if it's really such a good idea. If you still feel it is, spend the $20-$50 for the utility, and use it to your heart's content in Photoshop or elsewhere.

May 31 09 01:13 am Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

True about using the resources, but at the same time most programs with autosave have the ability to set the autosave frequency as well as the ability to turn it off.

May 31 09 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Bad Ass Photography

Cheyenne, Wyoming, US

I have never had this happen to me,,...but I have had PS hang up on me causing me to lose all the work I had done.  I don't think it would be that hard for the program to cache the last document closed.  I don't think you would need to cache every document closed,..just the last.  That way, as long as you catch it right away you could open it back up right where you left off. 

How hard could it be?? 

Personally, I have recently started using save as part of my work flow.  Open, crop, adjust exposure, levels, etc, (save)  use plug in, (save), smooth skin (save), unsharp mask, (save).    Ok,...that really is the simple version, and not necessarily in that order, but you get the idea.

May 31 09 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Edward C D Silva

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Not exactly a good thing, considering the fact that many work with high-res images which take time to save. It's a real hassle to need to suddenly wait in the middle of an edit just to let the autosave run it's course...

May 31 09 01:30 am Link

Photographer

PhotoEclat

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

ctrl + s is the mantra

May 31 09 02:04 am Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

btdsgn wrote:
True about using the resources, but at the same time most programs with autosave have the ability to set the autosave frequency as well as the ability to turn it off.

True about using the resources, but at the same time, most programs with autosave don't routinely toss around 100 megabyte to 3+ gigabyte files.

There's a slight difference in load between a 500K Word document and a 500 meg Photoshop document--by a factor of 1000. Just because you're willing to wait--if you even notice--1/10th of a second for Word's autosave does not mean you'll be just as happy to wait 100 seconds for Photoshop to do the "equivalent". Or even 10, if it's not at a time of your choosing. (Not pre-determined every X minutes, but 'not now, I'm in the middle of using the Pen tool...' choosing.)

If you want it, it's something that can be added trivially; every modern OS has some provision for system-wide macros. Try it for a few days and see if it really is as unobtrusive as you think.

Yes, Adobe could design some backgrounding task to split the load over multiple processors. The bus load would still remain, and would be competing with other disk accesses and transfers. I suspect they'll add something in some future version, but this has been on their official wishlist since at least version 3, and the issues haven't really changed since then--drives got bigger and faster, but not as much bigger or faster than image files grew.

May 31 09 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Jim Green

Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Some sort of autosave would be nice as an option.  I get messed up when Vista hangs for minutes on end.  But, I'm just really starting with Photoshop.

May 31 09 03:47 am Link

Photographer

Roy Lett

Tallahassee, Florida, US

We all have our ways of working...some of us (by most of the crowds standard) are slower and I'm sure there are some of you young guns with through the PS manipulations like steno-pool typists. The biggest thing I have learned from using the various Photoshop versions, Illustrator, CorelDRAW versions is to have a backup power supply- I lived in an area that used to have power brown outs like Baghdad and if you know the piece/image you are working on is photographic/artistic greatness move it to a special folder and work on it there. I lost a graphic design piece after about an hour and a half of developing it.
When I am working I often will do the edited primary source image, and eMail version and a first look b&w...I have been using PS since 2.5 and still manage to not save the primary before I investigate the image as a b&w and screw up and save. Hardly ever but if it can happen it will. Good Luck...be safe out there. Remember Adobe could fix this if they cared ;-)

May 31 09 04:04 am Link

Photographer

XCP_Final

Nijmegen, Gelderland, Netherlands

who did't something wrong ? you or Photoshop.
I think you must hate yourself.

I love photoshop.

May 31 09 04:13 am Link

Retoucher

Traciee D

Lafayette, Louisiana, US

You should ALWAYS save as you go!  I save my work every few minutes.  That's just the safe thing to do.  Always always save as you go!  autosave would be cool yes but then it would be autosaving everything even if you  don't like the work you've done. would you want it to save over all that and then you can't go back?  so I disagree with the autosave.

I mean really..think of it like this you've done all this work and you love what you've done so you save it but you're tired for the evening so you shut down and decide to work on the images the next day.  What if you work on one of those images that you worked on the night before and then you don't like the work you just did to it?  No going back...because it ''autosaved''.  That's what layers are for.

LESSON LEARNED!

May 31 09 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

Jim Judd wrote:
I guess you clicked the popup dialog warning of unsaved changes?  That always catches my attention.

KKP Retouching wrote:
Mine asks if I want to save even if I just breathe on it before I close it- yours doesn't??

try double clicking on the red x in the right hand corner of your open/unsaved image

wink

May 31 09 08:46 am Link