Forums > General Industry > Can I photograph a 17 year old without parent?

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

Oh, and one more thing - if my daughter were to get you to photograph her, without asking me, and, not having any money of her own, got you to send me the bill, neither she nor I would pay you. Rather, we would simply return the prints.

In other words, you would have worked for nothing. Consider this when deciding how to bill the children.

Oct 05 09 08:15 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

MelDanGrfx wrote:

my daughter is in school and i have never gotten one of those forms and they have had plenty of events where they take pictures..

It was almost certainly buried among the papers you signed/filled in at the start of the school year, perhaps on a form that requested medical information emergency contacts, bus routing etc etc.  Most schools do it this way.  A few choose to have a separate piece of paper that explains all of this and a sig block but not all schools are so enlightened.  They all want to be able to take promotional pics not only of their athletes/singers/budding air guitarists  but also of the crowds in the stands or 'walk through' promotional videos.

Oct 05 09 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MelDanGrfx wrote:
I really need some real answers.. not what you think or feel to be true.

Sorry, this is Model Mayhem, where there is no rule requiring people to have any damned idea what they are talking about before they give advice.  There is also no rule requiring people to follow an OP's request to have a clue before posting something they are clueless about.

Hence so many of the answers you have received above.

Let's get real, just for a moment, before we descend back into ignorant paranoia:

1.  There is no age at which it becomes legal or illegal to take a person's picture, whether or not anyone's permission is involved. 

2.  Since you specified completely non-sexy shots, there is no legal issue with the nature of the photography for people under 18.

3.  You did not specify that a model release would be needed, and from the sound of what you intend to do, it likely would not.  Consequently, whether or not a release can be signed is irrelevant.

4.  There are a very few states in which a parent's signature is required on a release for a minor.  North Carolina is not one of them.  It might be true, if a minor signs a release, that they may disaffirm it at some point, but that doesn't  make it invalid until they do (assuming that they are at least old enough to understand what they are signing.  A release signed by a two year old would be hard to uphold. smile)

5.  There are hazards which could result from taking pictures of anyone of any age, resulting from false, unwarranted claims of misbehavior.  These hazards are increased somewhat for minors, but are different only in degree, not in kind.

Oct 05 09 08:19 am Link

Oct 05 09 08:22 am Link

Model

MissSybarite

Los Angeles, California, US

Sorry, this is Model Mayhem life, where there is no rule requiring people to have any damned idea what they are talking about before they give advice. borat

Oct 05 09 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Weekend Photographer wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photographers-Guide-Releases-ebook/dp/B002MUAFIS/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1254756104&sr=1-1

You rely on this at your peril.

Oct 05 09 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Davepit wrote:
Oh, and one more thing - if my daughter were to get you to photograph her, without asking me, and, not having any money of her own, got you to send me the bill, neither she nor I would pay you. Rather, we would simply return the prints.

In other words, you would have worked for nothing. Consider this when deciding how to bill the children.

Retail photography is a cash or credit card business.
No cash or plastic no shoot.

And if your kid comes in to the store and buys a shoot and at the end says....
sorry I'm not going to pay.....
Well that's really the same as buying lunch and then refusing to pay.
and the business can decide how to proceed.

Oct 05 09 08:27 am Link

Photographer

PBK Photography

Dallas, Texas, US

Doug Lester wrote:
There is no requirement to have a parent present when photographing, none at all. In fact teens walk into portrait studios alone every day of the week to have portraits made. As long as there is no a content, there is no problem.  Just bear in mind that the minor can not sign a model release. Don't be confused by much of what you see here, MM has little to do with brick and mortar reality.  Take their cash and give them their pix.

AMEN!

I shoot minors all the time without discussing it with their parents. They just understand that the clothes stay on, must be age appropriate and we're all good.

As stated, they cant sign a release, but they do have cash! Now if the photos were that good, then contact mommy and have her sign one so you have a parents consent to use them. In the mean time, nothing wrong with making an honest dollar.

Oct 05 09 08:28 am Link

Photographer

jimo66

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Emeritus wrote:

Sorry, this is Model Mayhem, where there is no rule requiring people to have any damned idea what they are talking about before they give advice.  There is also no rule requiring people to follow an OP's request to have a clue before posting something they are clueless about.

Hence so many of the answers you have received above.

Let's get real, just for a moment, before we descend back into ignorant paranoia:

1.  There is no age at which it becomes legal or illegal to take a person's picture, whether or not anyone's permission is involved. 

2.  Since you specified completely non-sexy shots, there is no legal issue with the nature of the photography for people under 18.

3.  You did not specify that a model release would be needed, and from the sound of what you intend to do, it likely would not.  Consequently, whether or not a release can be signed is irrelevant.

4.  There are a very few states in which a parent's signature is required on a release for a minor.  North Carolina is not one of them.  It might be true, if a minor signs a release, that they may disaffirm it at some point, but that doesn't  make it invalid until they do (assuming that they are at least old enough to understand what they are signing.  A release signed by a two year old would be hard to uphold. smile)

5.  There are hazards which could result from taking pictures of anyone of any age, resulting from false, unwarranted claims of misbehavior.  These hazards are increased somewhat for minors, but are different only in degree, not in kind.

and this is why we have "Emeritus" on MM he knows absolutely everything about anything, I am waiting for a web site called " Ask Emeritus " then I will not have to come to these forums

you can take a picture of anyone anywhere not matter what age, but legal implications my follow if you put on web or print

Oct 05 09 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

You'll go to jail forever, don't do it.

Oct 05 09 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

Christopher Hartman wrote:
You'll go to jail forever, don't do it.

And be nice to Bubba........

Oct 05 09 08:33 am Link

Photographer

CGI Images

Wichita, Kansas, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
yes you can...

i am sure the misinformed and paranoid will disagree...

Hehe... Usually by page 3 the information and accuracy of it will have gone tottally awry.

Oct 05 09 08:56 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

CGI Images wrote:
Hehe... Usually by page 3 the information and accuracy of it will have gone tottally awry.

...because every camera phone has a warning in the view screen before it lets you take the pic. "ENSURE THAT EVERYONE YOU ARE TAKING A PIC OF IS OF LEGAL AGE"

..and every pizza place has an age-verification system in the line up for slices

...and...

some where...somehow...common sense should come back into focus

Oct 05 09 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

...because every camera phone has a warning in the view screen before it lets you take the pic. "ENSURE THAT EVERYONE YOU ARE TAKING A PIC OF IS OF LEGAL AGE"

..and every pizza place has an age-verification system in the line up for slices

...and...

some where...somehow...common sense should come back into focus

Common Sense??? ....... We don't need no Stinkin Common Sense!!!

Oct 05 09 09:05 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Chris Macan wrote:

Common Sense??? ....... We don't need no Stinkin Common Sense!!!

Not if you're confusing a release with a contract.

Oct 05 09 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

Chris Macan wrote:
Retail photography is a cash or credit card business.
No cash or plastic no shoot.

And if your kid comes in to the store and buys a shoot and at the end says....
sorry I'm not going to pay.....
Well that's really the same as buying lunch and then refusing to pay.
and the business can decide how to proceed.

Not quite - lunch is an a necessary service for the child - photography isn't. As such, in most common law countries, the child can rescind the contract for the photographs. If the child chases his mind at the end, you have to try to convince mum or dad to pay.

Oct 05 09 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Liteguy wrote:
You can shoot a 17 year old all you want.

But without a parents signature on the model release, you can't do anything with the pictures.

why waste your time?

Well, if you're paid, some would argue that's not a waste of time .. . .

Oct 05 09 09:55 am Link

Photographer

EJM

Kenneth City, Florida, US

I try not to photograph minors, but if the minor is special then be very careful.
Always discuss the shoot with the parent, offer to allow the parent to supervise.
Always, Always, Always protect your rep.

EJM

Oct 05 09 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Chris Macan wrote:

Actually...... No it would not require an adult signature.
A minor can sign a contract....
the hitch is they can also change their mind and rescind that signature.

In the case of your shoot contract...
What negative impact is there if they do change their mind before the shoot?
you just don't shoot.

In the case of your usage agreement....
That is a document that you provide to them granting them rights to use the images.
You sign it.... they don't need to.
Minors are not exempt for copyright laws.

Anyone who does retail photography seriously learns about having a shoot contract approved by your attorney. There are too many sue-happy assholes out there not to protect yourself. And yes to be valid it requires an adult signature, it can't be relied on with a minor signing it.

And I didn't say the client signs the usage license, I said a "shoot contract that customers will sign."

In retail photography, many people will choose to collect a retainer/deposit to book the date. Again, you need a contract.

Oct 05 09 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Zohar der Fotograf

Denver, Colorado, US

Yes you can but its better to do it with a parental release

Oct 05 09 10:24 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Chris Macan wrote:

you just don't shoot.

That is a document that you provide to them granting them rights to use the images.

Lumigraphics wrote:
Anyone who does retail photography seriously learns about having a shoot contract approved by your attorney. There are too many sue-happy assholes out there not to protect yourself. And yes to be valid it requires an adult signature, it can't be relied on with a minor signing it.

And I didn't say the client signs the usage license, I said a "shoot contract that customers will sign."

In retail photography, many people will choose to collect a retainer/deposit to book the date. Again, you need a contract.

where do you get this stuff from? shoot contracts being approved by lawyers?.......do you make this shit up or did you hear about it online?

Oct 05 09 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Chris Macan wrote:

you just don't shoot.

where do you get this stuff from?
shoot contracts being approved by lawyers?.......do you make this shit up or did you hear about it online?

Hello dude...RETAIL photography. You have a standard contract. But what do you know? You don't shoot weddings or senior portraits, do you? Maybe you should ask the PPA if they recommend that members have contracts. Hint- they do.

Oct 05 09 10:48 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Lumigraphics wrote:
Hello dude...RETAIL photography. You have a standard contract. But what do you know? You don't shoot weddings or senior portraits, do you? Maybe you should ask the PPA if they recommend that members have contracts. Hint- they do.

you're funny....you know so little about me.....
i have done weddings where i had an agreement for the wedding couple to sign off on...1/3 down as deposit (receipt) 1/3 after ceremony (receipt) 1/3 down on delivery of images (receipt, no contract)

i have done senior portraits where the client would buy a package.
half down and half on delivery..(no contract).

commercial clients have many different needs, to have a lawyer go over every different instance would be financially inhibiting...

but i'm guessing you have a "lawyer approved" contract for all your retail work?....
(rhetorical)

Oct 05 09 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

MelDanGrfx wrote:
Ok whats the rule...I've searched and searched and can't find the answer to this question.
What age can i photograph a person (non Nude) without the parent being present and getting into trouble?

Proceed with confidence as long as you are certain that the parents won't have any regrets afterwards and don't realize what a big stick they have.

Oct 05 09 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

you're funny....you know so little about me.....
i have done weddings where i had an agreement for the wedding couple to sign off on...1/3 down as deposit (receipt) 1/3 after ceremony (receipt) 1/3 down on delivery of images (receipt, no contract)

i have done senior portraits where the client would buy a package.
half down and half on delivery..(no contract).

commercial clients have many different needs, to have a lawyer go over every different instance would be financially inhibiting...

but i'm guessing you have a "lawyer approved" contract for all your retail work?....
(rhetorical)

Back when I was doing weddings? Damn right. It isn't complicated- any small service business does the same thing- dry cleaner, hotel, dog-walker, delivery company, etc.

Oct 05 09 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Ferndale, California, US

MelDanGrfx wrote:
What age can i photograph a person (non Nude) without the parent being present and getting into trouble?

Once you're old enough to operate the camera, you can photograph a non nude person whose parents aren't there and getting into trouble. But if they're aren't there, how do you know they aren't getting into trouble?

On the other hand, if you wanted to know if you might get into trouble photographing a minor without the parent being there, then that entirely depends on the parent's reaction when their kid tells them you fondled them.

On the other hand, (and I realize that now we have an extra hand we have to account for) if you are asking if it is illegal to photograph a minor without the parent being there, the answer is no.

Oct 05 09 11:19 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Buffalo, New York, US

It's safe to shoot a teenage without parental permission.  It happens every day with Senior Pictures. 

However you should let the kids know that it is a copyrighted item and they cannot actually use it for much without your permission.  So have them sign a acknowledgment that they have received the pictures, received the copyright notice (which you need to write up, etc) so that if they want to use it, they have to run to Mommy and get a new licensing agreement written up.  In the second doc it should give you permission to use the pics, too.  It is the sort of "who cares" attitude unless they take off, then if they want to use the pics they have to come back to you.

Oct 05 09 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

ERNIE CHAN wrote:
High School Sports-before the season starts-parents of athletes are required to sign a photography release form-if you are a regular or a  contract photographer for a newspaper or magazine you can use the photos you have taken for the publication for your portfolio

Please do not speak in universals.

Situations like that vary by the community AND the sports league.

Oct 05 09 11:41 am Link

Retoucher

DymezRetouch

Durham, North Carolina, US

whats funny to me is that so many of us forget how we were at 17.. Driving, working a job, going to parties, trying to be or at least learn how to be adults..etc.. Alot of times these kids have their own money to pay for what they want...they make desions on their own...I am also a graphic designer and some of the dudes that are throwing parties around here are 17 and have their own little companies and want me to take pics of them to put on a flyer or a cd cover im designing for them.

Im NOT taking nude or even sexual pics... were talking about straight up regular pics...If it was something else i would not do it unless they were 18..

Extra thanx to the photographers that read and understand what I was saying...

Oct 05 09 11:45 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Buffalo, New York, US

Farenell Photography wrote:

True, the signing of releases varies by league, but the underlying law does not.  You can't use an image commerce without a signed release.  Period. 

Read Section 50 of the NYS Civil Rights Law.  It's darn scary.  I'm sure other states are different, though.

Oct 05 09 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

Farenell Photography wrote:

ArtisticPhotography wrote:
True, the signing of releases varies by league, but the underlying law does not.  You can't use an image commerce without a signed release.  Period. 

Read Section 50 of the NYS Civil Rights Law.  It's darn scary.  I'm sure other states are different, though.

Really??? I'll be sure to tell the local paper.

Oct 05 09 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Dale at Killer Image

San Diego, California, US

Immicam wrote:
Easy mate, from my understanding parental consent is required, therefore speak with a parent even on the phone then ask the model to bring written permission to what level the parents are willing to let their sons or daughters work too.

this is the easiest way
immy

And if it turns out that the person you spoke to on the phone is actually just the kid's friend, and the kid signs her parent's name on the form, you are SCREWED.

Oct 05 09 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

Gabriel Pangilinan wrote:
Then again, I took candid photos of teenagers Ice Skating at the rink and I'm sure they and their parents don't know.  Would there be legal action that could go against me as well ?

Not because they're teenagers, no. If they were in a public place, you can photograph them.

You can't use the pictures for a whole lot without a release, though.

Oct 05 09 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I don't really get these threads at all.

Minors can buy all kinds of stuff at all kinds of stores, they can use credit cards at all kinds of stores, and buy things online at all kinds of places.

So I see no reason why minors can't buy pictures of themselves, shit they do it in photo booths anyway...

hmm

Am I missing something?

Oct 05 09 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Buffalo, New York, US

MelDanGrfx wrote:
whats funny to me is that so many of us forget how we were at 17.. Driving, working a job, going to parties, trying to be or at least learn how to be adults..etc.. Alot of times these kids have their own money to pay for what they want...they make desions on their own...I am also a graphic designer and some of the dudes that are throwing parties around here are 17 and have their own little companies and want me to take pics of them to put on a flyer or a cd cover im designing for them.

Im NOT taking nude or even sexual pics... were talking about straight up regular pics...If it was something else i would not do it unless they were 18..

Extra thanx to the photographers that read and understand what I was saying...

I'm taking pictures of a 17-year-old in a few weeks.  It doesn't bother me and she's coming without an escort.  But I have a kid of the similar age and know how they can be.  So I required a sign release just to ensure that her parents knew what was going on.  I didn't do it so much for me as for her (and her parents).  In the past, when I've told under-aged people that a parent sign a release, some have suddenly found that they were unavailable.  It doesn't bother me when that happens because I think the parents should be informed and involved.  I'd much rather have an underaged model flake because of a parental signature than a parent freak because of what they didn't know.

But that's just me.

Oct 05 09 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Buffalo, New York, US

Chris Macan wrote:
Really??? I'll be sure to tell the local paper.

You didn't read the law.  Depends on what the paper is using it for.  Editorial use is not commercial but advertisements are.

Oct 05 09 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Manna Photography

Greenville, North Carolina, US

One company (doing youth sports) I worked for told me the order form was a model release. Parents gave permission by sending kids to "picture day". Once the photos were taken the company could use it for advertisments. This was NY and CT few more states as well. They also did school portraits, same rules applied.

Oct 05 09 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

You didn't read the law.  Depends on what the paper is using it for.  Editorial use is not commercial but advertisements are.

You didn't say Commercial usage.... You said Commerce.
Newspapers are in fact businesses.... which are a form of Commerce.

And since commercial usage was not the topic of this thread......
you are are off topic.

True, the signing of releases varies by league, but the underlying law does not. 
You can't use an image commerce without a signed release.  Period.

Oct 05 09 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

W Thompson Photos

Oxford, Pennsylvania, US

As a photographer and Probation Officer I would NOT do it.  She could say anything she wants later and due to her age "they" will take her word not yours, def. not worth it.

Oct 05 09 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

Look at it this way: Could you sell the kid some shoes? Sure. So you can sell pictures as well.

But the main thing is to keep everything public, have an assistant around and be totally kid-friendly in all conversation.

Teens and tweens spend lots of money on lots of things. There's no reason photographs shouldn't be included.

Oct 05 09 01:19 pm Link