Forums > General Industry > Nip Slips - The Uncovered Truth

Photographer

Han Koehle

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

DG at studio47 wrote:
Charles West wrote:
This seems an exceedingly strange question.  Any photographer who says he didn't see it in the viewfinder is a bold faced liar.  Period.

What if it's a full body shot so the model's 5'9" frame is condensed into three inches, making even full on nipple a fraction of a centimeter? What if he wasn't chimping EVERY frame? What if she's one of them low-contrast skin types and it's not even visible in thumbnail size?

I've had some pretty major issues that I didn't catch until I reviewed the shots on frame.

Saying anyone who doesn't notice a nipple slip is a liar is pretty extreme.

Mar 03 10 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Charles West wrote:
This seems an exceedingly strange question.  Any photographer who says he didn't see it in the viewfinder is a bold faced liar.  Period.

Charles West wrote:
Sorry guys.  I forgot about the whole 35mm, 2,000 photos in a session thing.  I still shoot 4x5, and yes, I'm extremely slow.  Just seems strange to me.

"Sorry guys" for your original BS comment, then return to be a little condenscending, self-righteous, and sanctimonious??

For the record I've never shot half of 2000 images. My guess is 30-35% of 2000 max, and that would be a very rare day indeed.

I'd suggest to YOU, the only way someone is going to be a liar about not catching nip slips is someone who is doing a lot of focusing on them. Is it safe to assume you fall into that category?

Mar 04 10 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

Did I not apologize for that statement?  You guys are a tough group! 

It seems you're all just jumping on the bandwagon now.
"Oooo a target!   Shoot!  Shoot!"   
I've already been shot.  Several times.  I now realize there is more than one way to photograph models.   

Why don't you worry about my self righteous ignorance less and stay on topic more.

Mar 04 10 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Angelus Complex

Columbus, Ohio, US

Art of the nude wrote:
I once found an upskirt in my proofs; and the model had no panties on.  I had no idea the shot was there.  When I looked through the other proofs, and thought back, it was clear.  With set lights, nothing showed due to shadow.  When the strobes fired . . . .

Ben there, done that.
Remember the first time you had a model in a black or thin shirt with no bra? Of course you can't see through the material, but when the strobes popped and you went over the pics...

Mar 04 10 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Angelus Complex

Columbus, Ohio, US

Charles West wrote:
Sorry guys.  I forgot about the whole 35mm, 2,000 photos in a session thing.  I still shoot 4x5, and yes, I'm extremely slow.  Just seems strange to me.

I haven't shot film in years, and when I did, every shot counted. I still didn't shoot super slow because I know what I'm doing.

2,000 what in a session??? lol Even with the digital, I try to keep it under 200. They're lucky to get me up to 150 with a 3 look session.

Mar 04 10 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Stargazy Photography

London, England, United Kingdom

Angelus Complex wrote:
What uber slow ass photographer has the time to sit back and review the model from head to toe through the viewfinder [cut for brevity]

I'm an uber slow ass photographer. I admit it.

I don't have a viewfinder, though. Like Charles, I have a 4x5inch ground glass to study which makes everything upside down and mirrored.

(but I avoid the nip slip thing too by just shooting nudes who don't mind their nips visible)

Mar 04 10 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I'm probably in the minority.

I actually include them in the proofing catalog. Sometimes I miss a shoot or the Model or Agency see a shot that they think is questionable. The catalog is then flagged with these rejects. I want to be as transparent as possible and let them see everything that I shot. I feel that they will trust me more with the care of that images if I am upfront about it's existence and I give them an opportunity to provide input to me about their care and use.

Also, we may like a shot with some slippage and with some post work it can be made usable (like increasing the density of the hair or creating some kind of cover). I don't want that opportunity to be missed.

Mar 04 10 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Angelus Complex

Columbus, Ohio, US

Charles West wrote:
I now realize there is more than one way to photograph models.

Yes, it's called "properly." We're just arguing over your assumption that we're secretly trying to shoot nipples and playing it off like we didn't catch the slip.

I know a photographer that thrives off of getting those types of shots, even tries to pose the models with loose clothing so he can get such pics... We are not friends.

Mar 04 10 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

A M Johnson wrote:
I play fair. If the model is not doing a shoot where bits are showing then I delete the slips with the other mistakes.

Yep.  A deal is a deal.

Mar 04 10 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Angelus Complex

Columbus, Ohio, US

Stargazy Photography wrote:

I'm an uber slow ass photographer. I admit it.

I don't have a viewfinder, though. Like Charles, I have a 4x5inch ground glass to study which makes everything upside down and mirrored.

(but I avoid the nip slip thing too by just shooting nudes who don't mind their nips visible)

You two use different equipment as to where you have to have every shot as perfect as possible, so I can see and respect that stance.

Mar 04 10 07:21 am Link

Photographer

H E R B L I S H

Orlando, Florida, US

I wish I had not deleted them.  There's an idea for a coffee table book!

Mar 04 10 07:27 am Link

Photographer

-Scott Evans Photo-

Houston, Texas, US

Trust matters and if the model thinks there will be no naught bits showing and then she finds out you have perved on her nip-slip then don't be shocked when she gets pissed!  Integrity matters and frankly so does your promise.  I will say I have done this.  If a nip slips and it really makes the shot I will let the model make the call on that one shot.  If she says yes then it's a keeper!

Scott Evans
www.scottevansphotography.com

Mar 04 10 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Erasm Roterdam

Millbury, Massachusetts, US

The Model makes the decision to keep/delete, either if I note the slip on the shoot or during edition.

Mar 04 10 07:57 am Link

Photographer

MLRPhoto

Olivet, Michigan, US

Angelus Complex wrote:
Yes, it's called "properly." We're just arguing over your assumption that we're secretly trying to shoot nipples and playing it off like we didn't catch the slip.

I know a photographer that thrives off of getting those types of shots, even tries to pose the models with loose clothing so he can get such pics... We are not friends.

Has this photographer ever heard of something called "nude models?"  I often "pose models" so that a nipple, or much more, shows.  I have two whole portfolios devoted to the results.  As it happens, they're all done with the models' consent, at the time, and to the final result.

The point isn't that I'm so special, but that there's a substantial supply of models who not only allow, but prefer, nude shots.  Why is it so hard for some people to just work with them, if that's what they want to shoot?

Mar 04 10 11:51 pm Link

Model

John Ujjjjjjj Xghp

Ķızıltepa, Navoi, Uzbekistan

Last time this happened, a photographer sent me all the images, told me to hold onto them, and then deleted them from his camera/hard drive.

I'm not quite sure why he sent me them since they were just outtakes, but it was a nice gesture, I think.

Mar 05 10 12:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Amy Elizabeth

Miami, Florida, US

So people really can't feel when their nip is exposed? Whenever it happens to a celebrity I think it's for publicity because I'm like, "They REALLY can't feel their boob hanging out?"

Mar 05 10 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Shane Noir

dave wright sf wrote:
i wouldn't delete them from the back of the camera - what if the shot is great, and it just needs a bit of retouching so the nip doesn't show?

Ditto.  Don't throw out a winning shot just because there is a bit of naughty flesh making an appearance.  As long as it isn't in the final image, who cares?

Mar 05 10 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Scott Sansenbach

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Charles West wrote:

I don't know about that. There is a lot of stuff to think about (horizons, focus points, not chopping off body parts) and if the model is doing a lot of poses it's not that hard to miss. It usually ruins the shot if nudity is not intended so I'd always tell the model to avoid wasting our time.

Maybe in the studio doing more carefully posed shot's it's less likely but on outdoor location shoots it can easily happen.

Is seeing a nipple really that big a deal? Once you've had a little life experience you've probably seen a lot of them and there are plenty of models who will pose topless.

Mar 05 10 12:46 am Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Shane Noir wrote:

Ditto.  Don't throw out a winning shot just because there is a bit of naughty flesh making an appearance.  As long as it isn't in the final image, who cares?

Agreed as well.  I actually had an image that was supposed to be implied and a bit of areola was visible.  Everything else in the image was great though so I just cloned it out and no one noticed.  It was one of my most commented/viewed images while I had it up.  What if I deleted that from the camera (which technically would've been impossible given how little was showing and how small my screen is)?  I would've never had the image I wanted and would've had to settle for something else.

Now if the nip-slip occurs in an image where I'm certain I'll never use it or it's prominently visible and could not be saved via editing out without looking odd, I'll delete it from the harddrive.

Mar 05 10 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Scott Sansenbach

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Star wrote:
they are called sunrises, and i usually ask the mUA or assistant to keep an eye out for them while shooting

+1 if you have this luxury. They can also look for clothing tags, stray hairs, etc. etc.

Mar 05 10 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Aesthetic Arrest

Peterborough, New Hampshire, US

millions of years of evolution created them, and now we strive so hard to hide them from the shallow cadences of the squeamish masses . . . like the ocean would ever try to hide its barnacles at low tide.

Mar 05 10 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Aesthetic Arrest

Peterborough, New Hampshire, US

Lisa Levin wrote:
Last time this happened, a photographer sent me all the images, told me to hold onto them, and then deleted them from his camera/hard drive.

I'm not quite sure why he sent me them since they were just outtakes, but it was a nice gesture, I think.

easy, he kept them anyway, pretended to delete them and told you so and gave you the copies to make him look like he is ennobling you with this humane and selfless gesture.

Mar 05 10 12:55 am Link

Photographer

Shane Noir

Paul Maher Jr wrote:
millions of years of evolution created them, and now we strive so hard to hide them from the shallow cadences of the squeamish masses . . . like the ocean would ever try to hide its barnacles at low tide.

God I hate barnacles...

Mar 05 10 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Stargazy Photography

London, England, United Kingdom

Shane Noir wrote:

God I hate barnacles...

Barnacles are the nipples of the ocean. And boy, are there a lot of them!

Mar 05 10 01:07 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

MUA Amy Elizabeth wrote:
So people really can't feel when their nip is exposed? Whenever it happens to a celebrity I think it's for publicity because I'm like, "They REALLY can't feel their boob hanging out?"

no, if I'm wearing something airy, or doing implied, or a sheet or a holey tshirt you can honestly not know that something isn't peeking out

Mar 05 10 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

True story.

I did a shoot with a model (not even nude or implied shoot - she was wearing a corset bustier type thing) where a nipple slipped out in a photo, and neither of us noticed until years later!

Mar 05 10 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

MikeRobisonPhotos wrote:
If I notice at the time, probably delete, or leave and see if I can photoshop.

I have all sorts of pictures that are being held for later, or only used if cropped, or whatever.  I consider it a matter of professional honor to keep my word.

And, I have no intention of using accidental "nip slips."  Even if we've done nudes in the same session.

Just had a shoot recently where the image which was both her favorite and mine turned out to be a "nip slip."  I photoshopped a bit more fabric, you can't tell, and everything's great.  Would have been a real shame, and downright silly, to delete it.

Mar 19 12 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Charger Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Art of the nude wrote:

Just had a shoot recently where the image which was both her favorite and mine turned out to be a "nip slip."  I photoshopped a bit more fabric, you can't tell, and everything's great.  Would have been a real shame, and downright silly, to delete it.

+100

Mar 19 12 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Delete usually on camera if catch it while shooting.

Mar 19 12 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Art of the nude wrote:

Dude, you bumped a 2 yr old thread to reply to yourself? tongue

At first, I thought this thread would be Vancouver based. smile

Mar 19 12 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Andialu

San Pedro, California, US

I think that nipples should be removed at birth. They are clearly evil and dirty. I propose that they are replaced with a non-erotic bio port for nurturing off-spring.

Mar 19 12 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

ThatLook Visual Media

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Jeremy I wrote:
You know you all have taken then or have had them taken, usually accidentally.

Do you delete them? Keep them archived with the rest?

Inquiring minds and all...

Only had a few and I just photoshopped them away.

Mar 19 12 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Beccalette Synthetic wrote:
I have one in my port.... didn't mean for it to show, but oh well.

It's the second one in your portfolio; right?  Actually, if you hadn't pointed it out, I never would've even noticed it. 

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  wink

Mar 19 12 01:11 pm Link

Model

Rachel_Elizabeth_22

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Beccalette Synthetic wrote:
I have one in my port.... didn't mean for it to show, but oh well.

Same here, but it's one of my faves lol ^_^ x

Mar 19 12 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

INKEDividuals

Seattle, Washington, US

Jim Macias wrote:
I think that nipples should be removed at birth. They are clearly evil and dirty. I propose that they are replaced with a non-erotic bio port for nurturing off-spring.

I agree that they are troublesome.  I take special measures during my shoots to avoid nip slips:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 0#27617310 (M)

Mar 19 12 01:26 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Christopher Willingham

Long Beach, California, US

I keep em'.  When I'm shooting whatever I can catch I usually keep.  Sometimes down the road I'll use them for a reference for a painting or a drawing.  All the models that shoot with me know what's up before they work with me.  If they have any hang ups about slips and what not - I'll find that out before we shoot.

Mar 19 12 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Wysiwyg Photography

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Jeremy I wrote:

John Jebbia wrote:
While I understand that there is a certain feeling of conquest to get models who don't shoot nude to shoot implied....

Book models who already do nudes when you want to shoot implieds and this suddenly becomes a non issue.

+1 (Old post, but still relevant today).

I would likely delete the image.. BUT.. I don't do any "Implied" nude work with anyone other then nude models.. so it would never be an issue.

On the rare occasion that we would do an "implied shot" where the model doesn't do nudes, but wants a shot that shows her body off but not "bits"... it is a specific pose and the shutter doesn't release till the model is in place anyway.

Mar 19 12 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Jeremy I wrote:

usually delete, depends on the model desires.

Mar 19 12 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Given what I shoot that would be a serious oddity, but if the shot was good I could crop or Photoshop it I would.  Then again I don't get offended by topless, it's sort of silly how we treat it in the US.

Mar 19 12 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Art of the nude wrote:

Cherrystone wrote:
Dude, you bumped a 2 yr old thread to reply to yourself? tongue

At first, I thought this thread would be Vancouver based. smile

Not knowingly, no.  It was up on the list; I don't know how.  Very strange.  I hadn't read all the way through to see who bumped it, but I wasn't looking through old threads.

Very odd.

Mar 19 12 03:07 pm Link