Forums > Photography Talk > 15 yr old model in a TF

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Cardillo Photography wrote:
I am probably going to get shot for this.....
I normally do not shoot minors for TF without a parent present but her 21 year old sister should suffice.  If you are worried about somethiong happening later on (getting sued), then make sure you have another person present for your protection. (witness)    OR
Why not just have the younger sister pay you for the shoot....Say just a dollar.  Give her a receipt and a few pictures for her time.  She would then be hiring YOU.

Sounds like something a Politition would do..

Jul 23 10 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Raven Shutley

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Harold Rose wrote:

Did a see a LasVegas  address.. Are you over 18?

I'm in GA.  Don't know where you would have seen a Las Vegas address, sorry for any confusion!

Jul 23 10 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

MMDesign wrote:
Call the parents and ask them if they have a problem with it. If not, shoot it. If they do, then don't.

Who was that you said answered the phone???

Jul 23 10 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Gaze at Photography

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, US

Har Marshal wrote:

No written permission from parents was involved with any of these school situations.  Just last night I both photographed and videoed my daughter in a drama camp play, as did pretty much every other parent in the theater.  I did not sign any permission for other parents to photograph my daughter nor was I asked to sign anything for theirs.  On July 4 my daughter was a costumed interpretor at the State Capitol and dozens, if not hundreds, of people took her photo - including at least one professional photographer who posted them on her website.

There are really very few instances where there is a legal need to get parental permission in writing to simply photograph a minor.

The OP is about shooting a model test shoot, not a kid in a play in a public forum.

You can twist it any way you feel necessary.  You shoot what you want, I'll do the same. 

Legal or not, ethical or not, I will not shoot a minor without permission from her parent in writting in a modeling scenario of any kind. And never unaccompanied.  Period.

Jul 23 10 08:02 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

David Gaze wrote:

The OP is about shooting a model test shoot, not a kid in a play in a public forum.

You can twist it any way you feel necessary.  You shoot what you want, I'll do the same. 

Legal or not, ethical or not, I will not shoot a minor without permission from her parent in writting in a modeling scenario of any kind. And never unaccompanied.  Period.

ok...so the OP already stated that he "knows it's a good idea". He inferred "is it legal?"

Jul 23 10 08:05 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

David Gaze wrote:

what exactly is different about a model test shoot taken by you?
if it were my 16 year old daughter shooting film would the answer be the same?
if it were my neighbour's kid shooting with a Nikon D90 would it be the same?
if they rented time in the RA studio in Ottawa and closed the door would it be the same?

everyone is entitled to work how they see fit. I just don't see why anyone should think it mandatory or morally wrong to not comply with their party line

Jul 23 10 08:06 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Be pragmatic.
Known the law of your Country.
If isn't possible for their parents come to you maybe you can make shots at their home or near them if you find appropriate places and if you have the proper equipment (in terms of light when shooting indoors).
The present of a parents, regardless the law, need more than anything else too try to prevent future issue because no matter how professional you are, the "perception" is always against you (especially for you that you live on Usa, a Country with a lot of issue about minor).
For sure everything go well, you shoot even her sister, but what happen if tomorrow  or later, things are invented about that shoot?
For example from a jealous bf, etc?
It's your word against a model word, who you think will be perceived to be right?
In the end the physical presence of a parent is more something that need you for better security rather then the model ...
Thanks the world for all this hypocrisy and for all these unnecessary dramas for this stupid situation.
I wonder when will a law to prevent children leaving home without their parents that give the hands. (A a sort of martial law applied to minor).

Jul 23 10 08:09 am Link

Photographer

exartica

Bowie, Maryland, US

David Gaze wrote:

OK.  No one is saying that you have to.  Your choice not to is completely reasonably.  It's the crap from other posters stating that it is completely illegal without the presence of the parents but who can't cite a valid reference that people are having a problem with.

Jul 23 10 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Gaze at Photography

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, US

Wal-Mart has stores in every state.  Ask them if a 15 yr old can walk in and get a picture taken without a parent there, or if accompanied by a sister that's 21...  How old do you have to be to walk in a get a picture alone?

(One with a portrait studio)

Jul 23 10 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Brian Baybo

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

exartica wrote:

OK.  No one is saying that you have to.  Your choice not to is completely reasonably.  It's the crap from other posters stating that it is completely illegal With the presence of the parents but who can't cite a valid reference that people are having a problem with.

I'm not saying it's illegal, but there are certain legalities associated with such a shoot. Laws vary from state to state and country to country and you should be aware of them

Jul 23 10 08:18 am Link

Photographer

FitzMulti - Las Vegas

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've never seen more paranoid people in my life!

She's NOT trying to do "lurid" pics of the 15 y/o, you guys!
The sister is 21, and I would think if SHE felt safe with her, she's not going to IGNORE her own sister's safety!

Also...how damn hard would it be (unless they live miles and miles apart), for the OP/Photographer to get the parents written permission/release signed/etc beforehand?!?!?!?!

tongue

OH! And for those of you saying the OP/Photographer might potentially be branded as a "sex offender"...did you even BOTHER to see that the OP/Photographer is FEMALE?

Jul 23 10 08:22 am Link

Photographer

exartica

Bowie, Maryland, US

David Gaze wrote:
Wal-Mart has stores in every state.  Ask them if a 15 yr old can walk in and get a picture taken without a parent there, or if accompanied by a sister that's 21...  How old do you have to be to walk in a get a picture alone?

Even if it they say no it could be from a corporate policy standpoint, just like you, and have nothing to do with the law. 

If such a law exists it should be easy to find.  All anyone has to do is cite just one specific reference, for any state, that applies to the OP's situation and everyone else will shut up.

Jul 23 10 08:23 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Harold Rose wrote:

Who was that you said answered the phone???

You're right! Wait, how would I even know they were her parents even if I met them in person? I should probably have DNA testing done on them for proof.

Jul 23 10 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

Simple... Send her old sister an email and tell her, her parents need to sign the model release form to allow you to shoot her younger sister. Make sure you leave a blank spot for them to write out their younger daughters name and then then sign the form...

Release form should be something like

I (parents name) give (your name) promotion to shoot my daughter (her name) on (___date) blah blah blah blah

Have her bring it to the shoot

I do recommend you have more then just you and the girls there.. Like an assistant or a make-up artist or something...

Don't be alone with them

Have fun, people shouldn't be freaking you out this much smile

Jul 23 10 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

David Gaze wrote:

Wal-Mart loves Jesus and thinks everything is wrong!

Did you know they don't allow you to print nude photos there.... I did film shoot and I went to develop it there and they told me they couldn't do it and took my film!

Fucking assholes!

Jul 23 10 08:27 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Erlinda wrote:
Simple... Send her old sister an email and tell her, her parents need to sign the model release form to allow you to shoot her younger sister. Make sure you leave a blank spot for them to write out their younger daughters name and then then sign the form...

Release form should be something like

I (parents name) give (your name) promotion to shoot my daughter (her name) on (___date) blah blah blah blah

Have her bring it to the shoot

I do recommend you have more then just you and the girls there.. Like an assistant or a make-up artist or something...

Don't be alone with them

Have fun, people shouldn't be freaking you out this much smile

while I agree that people shouldnt be freaking out this much (just 47.6% less) that e-mail thing is worthless so don't bother.
My cat could sign it and nobody would be the wiser except if the faint odor of MeowMix got picked up by the gas chromatograph at CSI:MM

Jul 23 10 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Dark Horse Rising

Birmingham, Alabama, US

MMDesign wrote:

Most of you on here have heard of one or two people who got into trouble shooting minors and have decided that no minor should ever be photographed unless it's by their parent or with their parent hovering over the photographer's shoulder. That's ridiculous. I suppose you think it's wrong for their friends to take photos of them as well?

If it's a photograph that is in no way risqué, or could be construed as risqué, then there really is no problem, especially if you talk to the parents beforehand.

It has nothing to do with "professionalism" (wow, how'd that word get used on mm?), it has to do with something as simple as common sense.

I'm surprised at some of the remarks I am seeing advocating shooting minors without a parent present.

I can't tell you guys how many times I have been jumped shooting minors while on my news assignments. In public places during activities with other kids! Ok, it's an easy argument to say that's not the same as a "photo shoot" exactly...  But that's my point, parents these days are very different from when I was growing up. The world is different by far, and it kids are certainly different. In my day I can't recall a single case of anyone I remotely heard of that ever sued anyone for anything. And these days kids are bringing suits. I just think to err on the side of caution is prudent.

Jul 23 10 08:28 am Link

Photographer

exartica

Bowie, Maryland, US

Brian Baybo wrote:

I'm not saying it's illegal

Yes, you did.  You said "most states don't allow".  How do you propose that they do that without making it illegal?  Does the state legislature pass a strongly worded suggestion?

Jul 23 10 08:29 am Link

Photographer

FitzMulti - Las Vegas

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

j stephen roberts wrote:

I'm surprised at some of the remarks I am seeing advocating shooting minors without a parent present.

I can't tell you guys how many times I have been jumped shooting minors while on my news assignments. In public places during activities with other kids! Ok, it's an easy argument to say that's not the same as a "photo shoot" exactly...  But that's my point, parents these days are very different from when I was growing up. The world is different by far, and it kids are certainly different. In my day I can't recall a single case of anyone I remotely heard of that ever sued anyone for anything. And these days kids are bringing suits. I just think to err on the side of caution is prudent.

You've been JUMPED? What exactly does THAT mean?

You got MUGGED, or someone asked you what you were doing?

Jul 23 10 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Dark Horse Rising

Birmingham, Alabama, US

FitzMulti - Las Vegas wrote:
I've never seen more paranoid people in my life!

She's NOT trying to do "lurid" pics of the 15 y/o, you guys!
The sister is 21, and I would think if SHE felt safe with her, she's not going to IGNORE her own sister's safety!

Also...how damn hard would it be (unless they live miles and miles apart), for the OP/Photographer to get the parents written permission/release signed/etc beforehand?!?!?!?!

tongue

OH! And for those of you saying the OP/Photographer might potentially be branded as a "sex offender"...did you even BOTHER to see that the OP/Photographer is FEMALE?

Your last line is riduculous! You think that Females can't be Sex Offenders? Well friend I help put one in prison! One that the community thought was all peaches and cream. Sex offenders lurk in the most seemingly normal of places.
Convicted of First Degree Rape and Sodomy of a 6-year old girl. And it came out later that she'd done it before, suspected with boys as well as girls.

Jul 23 10 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

while I agree that people shouldnt be freaking out this much (just 47.6% less) that e-mail thing is worthless so don't bother.
My cat could sign it and nobody would be the wiser except if the faint odor of MeowMix got picked up by the gas chromatograph at CSI:MM

If that happens he wouldn't be the one blamed for it... as long as he went through all the steps then thats all that matters!

The girls would get in trouble not him

Jul 23 10 08:32 am Link

Photographer

exartica

Bowie, Maryland, US

Seriously?  You think that there are no women sex offenders?

Jul 23 10 08:33 am Link

Photographer

FitzMulti - Las Vegas

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

j stephen roberts wrote:

Your last line is riduculous! You think that Females can't be Sex Offenders? Well friend I help put one in prison! One that the community thought was all peaches and cream. Sex offenders lurk in the most seemingly normal of places.

I was simply pointing you that if the female photographer is there..with the 21 Y/O SISTER...it seemed pretty damned UNlikely...and even MORE unlikely BECAUSE it is a female photographer...which, had NOT been mentioned throughout this entire thread...

Jul 23 10 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Dark Horse Rising

Birmingham, Alabama, US

exartica wrote:

Look four post up!

Jul 23 10 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Dark Horse Rising

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I was simply pointing you that if the female photographer is there..with the 21 Y/O SISTER...it seemed pretty damned UNlikely...and even MORE unlikely BECAUSE it is a female photographer...which, had NOT been mentioned throughout this entire thread...

The person that raped and sodomized this 6-year old girl did it in the family home around other family. It can happen. Oh, and it was her niece.

Jul 23 10 08:36 am Link

Photographer

FitzMulti - Las Vegas

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

exartica wrote:

I didn't intend to imply that...
As I posted above, I was pointing out that NO mention of her being female, and in the accompaniment of the 21 y/o sister, certainly would be a pretty good indication that the OP wasn't trying to get away with something lurid.

You people are REALLY making a mountain out of a molehill, when ALL that needs to be done is....she, the OP, should go meet up with the parents and get the authorization signed.

Seems pretty simple to me!
;-)

Jul 23 10 08:37 am Link

Photographer

FitzMulti - Las Vegas

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

j stephen roberts wrote:

The person that raped and sodomized this 6-year old girl did it in the family home around other family. It can happen. Oh, and it was her niece.

okay . you win.
i'm bored with you trying to just argue for the argument's sake.

Jul 23 10 08:37 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Erlinda wrote:

If that happens he wouldn't be the one blamed for it... as long as he went through all the steps then thats all that matters!

The girls would get in trouble not him

you havent been to law school, have you?
the point is there should be no concern.  IF (big IFFFFFFFFF) for some reason there is a concern then I seriously doubt the paper trail you suggest would be sufficient: e-mail to 3rd party to get 'someone' to sign consent like that? nope.

I just thought of a perfect example.  Try going into a tattoo parlor as a minor (as defined by where ever you are for the purposes of getting ink or pierced) and waving a 'consent' form signed by a parent.  measure the laughter in decibels and get back to me big_smile

Jul 23 10 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

you havent been to law school, have you?
the point is there should be no concern.  IF (big IFFFFFFFFF) for some reason there is a concern then I seriously doubt the paper trail you suggest would be sufficient: e-mail to 3rd party to get 'someone' to sign consent like that? nope.

I just thought of a perfect example.  Try going into a tattoo parlor as a minor (as defined by where ever you are for the purposes of getting ink or pierced) and waving a 'consent' form signed by a parent.  measure the laughter in decibels and get back to me big_smile

My friend did that for her nipple piercings and they didn't laugh they pierced her damn nipples... Not to mention she forged it...

I guess that Isn't a good story hmm

Jul 23 10 08:46 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

MMDesign wrote:

You guys are just waaaaaayyyyyyy too anal. Next you'll be telling me that a parent needs to be present for Senior photos if they're under 18.

Yes, unless it's in school supervised by teachers, parents or a legal guardian MUST be present at all times.

A 15 year old cannot consent to having their photos taken.

Shooting a minor can, in this litigous society, be misconstrued and even a slight mistake can cost cost you dearly.

Two sisters, not a chance in hell I'd be in the same room. I may be an untrusting soul but I've seen setups before and it can happen to even the most honest of photographers.

I will not even talk to a minor. Don't forget there are also over zealous cops out there who advance themselves by busting "child molesters" not to mention the bullshit "reality" shows. That and in the past few years photographers have been painted with some pretty black brushes to the general public. Add a minor female and you're really asking for problems.

Jul 23 10 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Frenzy Photos

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

"So long as the photo is taken on public property, on the photographer's own private property, or the photo is one that can be seen with clear sight from public view onto private property (no surveillance).

What one cannot do is take photos of a person without their consent on the photo subject's own private property (absent a warrant and judicial oversight), use any picture of another person for commercial purposes with out their, or in the case of a minor their parent or legal custodian's consent (maybe this is what you're thinking about) or take any photograph that encompasses child pornography at any location, at any time, irregardless of consent."   

From this it seems the problem does not come from the TAKING of the pictures but from the POSTING/PUBLISHING of them.    Just my .02

Personally... no written consent ... no minors.

Jul 23 10 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Angelfactory

Foley, Minnesota, US

MMDesign wrote:

You guys are just waaaaaayyyyyyy too anal. Next you'll be telling me that a parent needs to be present for Senior photos if they're under 18.

Agree with this.
  If your doing the shoot with the sister then again with the 15 yr old who the only thing to worry about doing it without a legal release is if she calls in a year wanting you to stop using the photo, and would you really care since you already have it done by someone else who could sign a release? If it turns out a masterpiece in your eyes can always ask the parents to stop in and sign a release later but chances are if it's just a for fun deal no harm done if things go south down the road.

Jul 23 10 08:57 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

my thoughts?...

well i have done it....

no issues..

Jul 23 10 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Dark Horse Rising

Birmingham, Alabama, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:

Yes, unless it's in school supervised by teachers, parents or a legal guardian MUST be present at all times.

Shooting a minor can, in this litigous society, be misconstrued and even a slight mistake can cost cost you dearly.

Two sisters, not a chance in hell I'd be in the same room. I may be an untrusting soul but I've seen setups before and it can happen to even the most honest of photographers.

I will not even talk to a minor. Don't forget there are also over zealous cops out there who advance themselves by busting "child molesters" not to mention the bullshit "reality" shows. That and in the past few years photographers have been painted with some pretty black brushes to the general public. Add a minor female and you're really asking for problems.

Very wise.

Jul 23 10 08:58 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:

sorry buddy, this is completely wrong...

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
Don't forget there are also over zealous cops out there who advance themselves by busting "child molesters" not to mention the bullshit "reality" shows.

fuck overzealous cops...they need to fear us (the people), not the other way around...

as long as you people keep cowering around the government, they'll get stronger and stronger...

as long as you're not doing anything illegal, you shouldn't have to worry about the law or TV shows...

Jul 23 10 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

The photos below were all shot of a 15 year old subject.  Her parents were not there for either set.  They would drop her off sign a release then leave. 

I had shot her many times however and had a good working relationship with them.

I have shot the her more than any other person I have shot to TFP to date.  She is now almost 19 and will be here again next week.   If I want to try a new lighting set up I call her first.  If I'm bored and want to snap a few just for fun I call her.
She's a great kid, always fun and and shoots well.

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/2867828263_54d9c6d766_z.jpg?zz=1

https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1315/851794863_dff4b8ae2f_z.jpg

The photo on MM here was when she was 16.

https://modelmayhm-2.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100617/23/4c1b0faa32187_m.jpg

Jul 23 10 09:00 am Link

Photographer

TRW Imaging

Jaffrey, New Hampshire, US

Get signed consent from a parent and having the 21 year old counts as a legal escort. It varies by state. Just make sure that all your t's are crossed and i's are dotted.

Jul 23 10 09:03 am Link

Photographer

T R Willmitch

Normal, Illinois, US

Brian Baybo wrote:
Anal? How do you figure? Most states do not allow photography of minors without the parents or legal guardian present, TF or commercial. Check your local laws before you cry "anal". "Professional" comes to mind.

Brian Baybo wrote:
I'm not saying it's illegal, but there are certain legalities associated with such a shoot. Laws vary from state to state and country to country and you should be aware of them

Huh... what?  I'm sooo confused!  Why don't you post some links to a few of those state laws?

https://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i164/trwillm/POtD/kitten.gif

Jul 23 10 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

Jesus....
CONSENT:
For consent to be effective, it must be given by someone who's capable of understanding the nature and consequences associated with the videotaping or photography. If you're photographing minors or mentally disabled individuals, you should get the consent of the parent or guardian.

GUARDIAN:
1  One that guards, watches over, or protects.
2 Law. One who is legally responsible for the care and management of the person or property of an incompetent or a minor.
( A 21 year old Sister is considered the Legal Guardian of her sibling  ) duhhhh...!

Jul 23 10 09:10 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

TRW Imaging wrote:
Get signed consent from a parent and having the 21 year old counts as a legal escort. It varies by state. Just make sure that all your t's are crossed and i's are dotted.

what's a legal escort?  what's an illegal escort?

I'd love to see these various state laws :0

Jul 23 10 09:10 am Link