Forums > Photography Talk > Do You Give Your RAWs to the Model?

Photographer

Wysiwyg Photography

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I have been doing Trade like crazy this past month to fill out some clothed stuff for my portfolio.  And I have been getting a lot of requests for my RAWs (I do NOT give those out)..

So.. this is more of a Poll really than anything because I'm just if there are photographers out there doing it (personally I don't care, as I'm not changing my policy)

Just a curiosity poll is all smile

Jul 25 12 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wysiwyg Photography wrote:
I have been doing Trade like crazy this past month to fill out some clothed stuff for my portfolio.  And I have been getting a lot of requests for my RAWs (I do NOT give those out)..

So.. this is more of a Poll really than anything because I'm just if there are photographers out there doing it (personally I don't care, as I'm not changing my policy)

That's something usually worked out in advance of the shoot.

No RAW unless I know "why" he/she wants them.

Models often times do not like the processing treatment photographers do to images and want the RAW files because they will get them properly retouched elsewhere.

Jul 25 12 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

L2Photography net

University City, Missouri, US

RAW to a model is unedited photos. Tell them before the shoot what you will give them. I use to give all unedited proofs low rez on CD so they could pick what they like. Well started seeing them on the net so now they look on my web site.
L2

Jul 25 12 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

No, what are they going to do with them? I never give RAW and I never give full res. Unless of course that's what the project is for.

Jul 25 12 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Mango

Toms River, New Jersey, US

I agree with what was said before that most models mean "unedited" when they request "RAW".

I do let them see unedited versions, but never give out RAW files.

Jul 25 12 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

SF Valley Photo

Burbank, California, US

Mike Mango wrote:
I agree with what was said before that most models mean "unedited" when they request "RAW".

I do let them see unedited versions, but never give out RAW files.

This.

Jul 25 12 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Never have, never will.

Jul 25 12 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

As stated on my profile:

Please respect the fact that I do not give out unedited images for TFCD.  (if you pay me this, like all things, is of course negotiable)

(I'm certainly not giving out RAW format files)

If they aren't going to take the time to read my profile that is hardly my concern.  Though I am usually pretty good at mentioning it if they ask.

Jul 25 12 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

StudioCMC

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

No, never give out your RAW files. I never do, and I have been requested too, as well as even insulted about my photography skills. Simply make an offer to do your TF, and if they are not interested in it. Move on to the next model.

And I think this makes a billion threads about this issue..  wink

Jul 25 12 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Los Angeles, California, US

Even if not technically accurate, I use RAW to mean the proprietary camera files and raw to mean the un-processed or un-retouched jpegs.

I don't give out RAW.  I will do or arrange to have the retouching done.

I don't give out all the files except sometimes on low res proof sheets for selection purposes.  Even those have been edited down for blinks and so forth.

I do provide SOOC (Straight Out of Camera) raw jpegs as as the final file when that is all that is required on short notice jobs, but again, only after editing or making the selects.

I have already typically set the style settings and balanced the lighting and exposure to produce clean files.

Jul 25 12 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Personal Photograph

Davenport, Iowa, US

I've yet to be asked by a model for the raw files.  I would be reluctant to provide them without knowing why they wanted them.  If I did provide them I would want to see their finished product.

Jul 25 12 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Los Angeles, California, US

Usually no, but there have been a couple exceptions

Jul 25 12 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I don't provide the art director I work with my RAW images.  I'm certainly much less likely to do so with models.

That said, I'm willing to consider anything.  For the right price, simply handing over all my RAW images and being done with it with no editing on my part is something I'd consider.

I think it's much like any producer of anything deciding under what circumstances they will or will not sell an unfinished product.  Some never would, some will.

Jul 25 12 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Gerhart

San Antonio, Texas, US

No raws unless compensated accordingly. Those are the negatives...

Jul 25 12 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

No RAWs.

unedited proofs, with a note (these look like shit compared to their edited counterparts, don't post them) with a watermark in a gallery to choose an edit or two if they're really cute and ask nicely.

Jul 25 12 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

No
Not a part of the deal ever, written into the agreement they are not included

Jul 25 12 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

in exchange for monetary compensation -- not only RAWs, but all rights altogether. and my camera with the whole set of optics too smile.
why not?

Jul 25 12 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Not a chance.  In my case, I have a formal education in both film and digital photography, along with close to 20 years experience just on the digital end of things.  My system is also calibrated, and most people's systems outside of the photographers world is not, including most model's.  Also, the biggest reason that I'm eluding to is that the images do not just reflect on the model, but myself as well.  I have a standing policy with the models that if they do not like the way a particular image turns out and they would like to use it, to have me do the corrections to it, nobody else.

Jul 25 12 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

SillyEddy

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

One day it would be interesting to send a model the actual .CR2 RAW.

I wonder how long it would take before they realised they could do nothing with it tongue

Jul 25 12 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

I've sold negatives, I've sold slides, I've sold digital raws.

If the price is right and the client pays me enough, I will even sell them the camera.

Obviously, what that price is -- depends on the circumstances and the client.

GIVE RAWs away? No, I'm not in the business of photography to GIVE things to anyone.

As for models specifically... I've met many who do retouching and/or are photographers and probably have far better retouching skills than many of the people who say they'd never consider giving out their RAW files.

Personally, I don't like to stereotype about models or their level of photographic knowledge.

Jul 25 12 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Wysiwyg Photography

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

SillyEddy wrote:

I wonder how long it would take before they realised they could do nothing with it tongue

Unless they are familiar with Lightroom.. and CS5 can still edit RAW files.

But open up a CR2 file just to "view" it... not likely going to happen.

Jul 25 12 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Untitled Photographer

Dallas, Texas, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
I've sold negatives, I've sold slides, I've sold digital raws.

If the price is right and the client pays me enough, I will even sell them the camera.

Obviously, what that price is -- depends on the circumstances and the client.

As for models specifically... I've met many who do retouching and/or are photographers and probably have far better retouching skills than many of the people who say they'd never consider giving out their RAW files.

Personally, I don't like to stereotype about models or their level of photographic knowledge.

Good points, I'd sell the boots on my feet if the price was right.

Jul 25 12 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

NC Art Photos

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I never gave negatives or slides to models when I shot film, so I'd never give RAW files to a model - not unless she was paying top dollar for them.

Jul 25 12 08:36 pm Link

Model

Raquel Rayne

New York, New York, US

SillyEddy wrote:

Unless she is also a photographer with Photoshop and Lightroom experience (*ahem* cough*)!

Seriously, I would never ask for a RAW file, but I sure as hell am not clueless.

Jul 25 12 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

New Kidd Imagery

South Salt Lake, Utah, US

Post hidden on Jul 25, 2012 09:38 pm
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
That isn't needed.

Jul 25 12 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

XenaDyne Photography

Missoula, Montana, US

NAWW  no RAW

Jul 25 12 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Graham Glover

Oakton, Virginia, US

No.

Jul 25 12 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jayc Yu

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Yes unconditionally

Jul 25 12 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Yes to agencies. (Some are required as per contract)

No to clients.

Jul 25 12 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Black Swan

Prescott, Arizona, US

I have surrendered all work under “work for hire” like contracts.
This includes working for another photographer, producer or shooting copyrighted artworks.
Otherwise, no.

Jul 25 12 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

On occasion

Jul 25 12 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

GD East Bay Photography

Antioch, California, US

there are some people who, for their own sake, i will not give their raw unedited pictures to...smile jk

Jul 25 12 09:16 pm Link

Model

Raquel Rayne

New York, New York, US

Post hidden on Jul 29, 2012 03:42 pm
Reason: not helpful
Comments:
quoting hidden post

Jul 25 12 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Black Swan

Prescott, Arizona, US

Post hidden on Jul 29, 2012 03:42 pm
Reason: not helpful
Comments:
quoting hidden post

Jul 25 12 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

STL-After-Dark

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Nope

Jul 25 12 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I'm in business to make money. Anything I can produce is for sale. Some things I produce don't sell well because they are expensive. All the images...that's expensive. RAW images...those are expensive. Hi-Res images...edited or not...aren't priced too badly...but if someone wants a lot of them...the costs add up to a significant amount usually.

I used to say things like "I never give out ___________ or ________images". Now I don't say that anymore. Instead, I say, "OK, I'll play with my calculator and send you a price quote for that".

Again, I'm in business to make money. For many, my prices for some things may seem unrealistic or expensive...that's OK...there's no obligation to buy anything not contracted for or agreed upon prior to the shoot. However, for the right price...I'll sell anything...because I'm in the business to make money...and I can't do that by saying "no".  I can do that by creating  products my clients are willing to buy.

Jul 25 12 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Brian T Rickey

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

No.  Never.  Even for weddings, and they pay quite a bit.  No.

Jul 25 12 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

S A L B

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

No.

For me the RAW file is one of the ingredients (albeit a major one) that's goes into making the final shot. When I go to a restaurant I like the chef to cook my steak. I'd never ask for it - nor expect it - to be served raw.

Jul 25 12 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

SillyEddy

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

Raquel Rayne wrote:

Unless she is also a photographer with Photoshop and Lightroom experience (*ahem* cough*)!

Seriously, I would never ask for a RAW file, but I sure as hell am not clueless.

Exactly. Hopefully those models who know what they're doing would save time by not asking... Or word it in such a way that they show that they know what they're after.

Jul 25 12 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Gustavo Escanelle

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

NO RAW. PERIOD. there's no reason why to give it. Hi Res jpeg is fine of Tiff.

Jul 25 12 10:10 pm Link