Forums > Photography Talk > Do You Give Your RAWs to the Model?

Photographer

Stay Puft

Ofu, Manu'a, American Samoa

Nope.

Jul 25 12 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

T-D-L wrote:
Usually no, but there have been a couple exceptions

Ditto

Jul 25 12 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

GeniusUnleashed

Los Angeles, California, US

When shooting headshots, I always give actor's a copy of the RAW's or the link to my server page with the RAW's that they can right click to save. As an actor, I won't ever go to a photographer who won't give me a copy of the originals at the end of the shoot and most my actor friends are the same, which is why they come to me now.

Models for fashion TPF? Depends on the model and situation. If they know what'they're doing, I'll give them a link to my server so they can download a copy. They don't want an unedited version of a pic of them getting out into the world as much as I don't. I do ask them to send me copies of any hi-res edited versions of the pic they get done for my own book.

If the model asks for RAW and doesn't know what life is about, I give them a slightly edited (white balance, color, exposure) version in TIFF since most online places I refer clients too won't print from RAW anyway. Rarely, after explaining how the system works, do I have an issue with a client or TPF partner. But I also listen to them and get to the root of their need and help them achieve it because I want them to refer me to other people.

Jul 25 12 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Nguyen Studio

Shakopee, Minnesota, US

noooooo

Jul 25 12 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

CRUIKSHANK PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
Never have, never will.

99% this.

I cannot see into the future, but I seriously doubt I ever will.

Jul 26 12 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

no

Jul 26 12 12:10 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Jayc Yu wrote:
Yes unconditionally

Jul 26 12 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Riddell

Hemel Hempstead, England, United Kingdom

NO.

The only reason I ever give RAWs out is for high end projects for high end clients, generally ones I have existing relationships with and who have specifically requested RAWs and I know and trust them that they have in house highly competant graphics designers / photo editors who fully know and understand what they are doing.

No one else needs RAWs

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Jul 26 12 02:26 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

No. Not for TFP...

Not to models who want to 'play' at retouching... not even to 'model-photographers' who might be quite skilled at retouching. You come to me because of the way my images look, not to put your own interpretation on my images...

Pay me and that all changes though...

...if a client specifically asks for them, it's generally because they have paid for a retoucher to ensure all the image have the same look or they're using my images as part of a composite and need as much (digital) information as possible.

Giving a RAW file out effectively ensures I have no further control over that image and  I'm at the mercy of the retoucher to ensure the end result is a good one - my prices for this service reflect that, however.

Jul 26 12 02:34 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I will give raw files, but only very selectively because I have been burned by models I thought I could trust.

These days, I have just one model to whom I give raws, but we have been working together regularly for more than two years and there is a high degree of mutual trust.

Jul 26 12 04:13 am Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

I dont give out raw format images.

I usually give the best 20-30 unedited images per look and retouch the best 2-3 per look.  Still even the unedited images are always raw processed and converted to JPG.

-Jose

Jul 26 12 04:16 am Link

Photographer

Mike Adams Photos

Cleveland, Ohio, US

RKD Photographic wrote:
You come to me because of the way my images look, not to put your own interpretation on my images...

This.  Really that simple.

Jul 26 12 04:17 am Link

Model

retiredanddeleted

Azul, Buenos Aires, Argentina

I never really ask for RAWs, but some photographers that have become friends overtime do pass me the RAWs so I can get them retouched by a retoucher... when it comes to Beauty.

Or if I only have the High Res and the retoucer ants the RAW i'll ask the photographer or ask the retoucher to ask the photographer for the raw ;P

Jul 26 12 04:28 am Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

only if she really likes that zit between her eyes... tongue

I (usually) shoot RAW.. (CR2)
Do I have too? No
Does it give me "wiggle room"? You bet! But mainly, it puts a quick end to such requests.

Jul 26 12 04:34 am Link

Photographer

Carl Blum Photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have found over time that if I ask the model why, I usually find out they don't like my photoshop. THAT is an acceptable answer to me. I will have them sign another agreement that states that the final photo must be approved by me.

If it's for any other reason, I let them know the purchase price. Then, I really don't care what they do with it.

Jul 26 12 04:49 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

RAWs for me would be unretouched scans, which I will happily give to a model if they like.

I've also generally given permission for the models to play with the images and alter them so long as they are careful with crediting me for the work I do and only for that work (they'd have to note that they had modified the file).

I do this because I think that a model working with the images could come up with something amusing, or informative, or meaningful, and that this would be more likely than them causing me trouble.

Jul 26 12 04:54 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Wysiwyg Photography wrote:
I have been doing Trade like crazy this past month to fill out some clothed stuff for my portfolio.  And I have been getting a lot of requests for my RAWs (I do NOT give those out)..

So.. this is more of a Poll really than anything because I'm just if there are photographers out there doing it (personally I don't care, as I'm not changing my policy)

Just a curiosity poll is all smile

Sorry, slightly off topic I know, but....

.. when you say 'lots of requests' are these models actually asking for RAW files or just unedited files?

No disrespect to your models but most models I've shot with don't know about or care about RAW files and just want great pictures.

Jul 26 12 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Beauty Photo

Lansing, Michigan, US

I have never been asked to give RAW files to a model (or any team member), but the answer would be no. My work is the culmination of everything that I do before, during and after the shoot, from concept development through to the post processing. If I have no control over the final outcome of the images, then they do not represent my style or my work, which is what brought the model or agency to me in the first place. Even with very minimally retouched test images, the final look of my images is still mine. I'd be doing a disservice to the team to just hand over unfinished work.

If we're talking client work (ad agency, commercial and some editorial clients, in most cases) where I am being paid to shoot and deliver RAW files to the client, then that's a different matter entirely.

ETA:

The real question here is.... are they asking for actual RAW files or for minimally retouched images? Is it possible that they just want images that don't look retouched?

Jul 26 12 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

I have been doing Trade like crazy this past month to fill out some clothed stuff for my portfolio.  And I have been getting a lot of requests for my RAWs (I do NOT give those out)..

So.. this is more of a Poll really than anything because I'm just if there are photographers out there doing it (personally I don't care, as I'm not changing my policy)

curiosity poll? really? hmm

Jul 26 12 07:23 am Link

Photographer

Howick Image Studio

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

Never for non-commercial model work.  Some models have asked for them - most relent once they understand what a RAW file really is.  Those who don't are welcome to pay, or find someone else to work with.

Jul 26 12 07:35 am Link

Photographer

RDPhoto - Ric

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am not a professional photographer, but I do a lot of professional jobs for commercial clients.  I also shoot weddings.  In both cases, written communication will set the the deliverable expectation.

Paying clients who buy the rights to the images will get RAWs if they ask for them.  No problem.

For TF, I state exactly what will be delivered and it does not include RAWs unless they want to buy them from me.

Perhaps this is 'bad business' but I would give RAWs to a model in the case where they were going to have an image edited and use it in a publication - my agreement would include an outline as to how I would receive credit in the publication.

As long as the expectation is set properly and agreed upon, they can ask for my camera when I am done and I would not have a problem giving it to them.

Jul 26 12 07:44 am Link

Photographer

CS Dewitt

Atlanta, Georgia, US

NO!!!!

The model will receive low-res jpgs/jpegs, so he or she can chose the photos they want. That way, there are NO disputes about photos choices.

Jul 26 12 07:45 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Do You Give Your RAWs to the Model?

No, but with the right ammount of money the situation can change ...

Jul 26 12 08:24 am Link

Photographer

samreevesphoto

Santa Cruz, California, US

Nope, akin to giving your negatives away.

Jul 26 12 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

hmmm....

for those that only shoot jpeg it's a non-issue.

Jul 26 12 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Jarrell Photography

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, US

Question: Lots of replies about it being like giving away negatives. Since negatives are one of a kind, irreplaceable, and RAW is just a file that can be copied repeatedly, is the issue really that you don't want to give someone that much control of an image?
And if you will let them have a hi res jpeg, how much is that really different from a practical point of view?

NOT asking for a discussion of the wonders of RAW (esp compared to jpg), but about the control issue underlying this protectiveness.

Jul 26 12 09:17 am Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

I am paying models now, and seeing how I am an awful, low-budget photographer and I only shoot reference photos for my pastel paintings, I do not give any type of photos  (RAW or otherwise) to models.

However, models who are very nice can usually have a figure drawing of themselves, or even a small pastel figure painting sent to them eventually.

Jul 26 12 09:34 am Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

A model asked me once, I said sure, you can have the "RAW", then I started unpacking the 4x5 and she was like WTF!  big_smile

Jul 26 12 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Chris Chua

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

no RAWS...no exceptions.

Jul 26 12 09:44 am Link

Photographer

MrTim

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

I'm not completely against the idea, but I don't really like people seeing anything apart from what I consider my best work, and the freshly opened RAW file often differs significantly from the final Jpg. The other objection is that there are a lot of people who proudly display images with what I consider to be rubbish Photoshop jobs (including plenty some people who claim to be retouchers, and have nothing but praise from others in their profiles), and I really wouldn't my name attached to them!

Jul 26 12 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

RAW as in NEF, CR2, etc or raw as in images that have not been retouched/adjusted?

1. RAW = no
2. Raw = in low resolution for personal review to help them see perhaps what poses may or may not work, blah blah blah.

Jul 26 12 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Los Angeles, California, US

To elaborate:

Some models actually know a lot about post and retouching, some have gone to college and obtained degrees in graphic design and such....there have been a couple models who I've shot plenty of times that ask for a couple images to retouch....I've seen their work, and in some cases it's better than mine from a technical standpoint.  There are 2 right now if I were to shoot and they asked for a couple raw's I'd hand em over without a second thought.  Someone's title shouldn't make you automatically assume that they are all incapable of doing something else. 

Also, I hand over raw's to clients all the time too.  If they do their retouching in house (or outsource it to another professional), what am I supposed to do, hand them low res jpgs?  lol  It doesn't bother me one bit, just one less thing I have to do.

Jul 26 12 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Just one parttime model who works as a web designer in her real job.  And she knows PS better than me.

Jul 26 12 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Paul AI

Shawnee, Oklahoma, US

Nope.

Jul 26 12 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
I've sold negatives, I've sold slides, I've sold digital raws.
Obviously, what that price is -- depends on the circumstances and the client.
GIVE RAWs away? No, I'm not in the business of photography to GIVE things to anyone.
Personally, I don't like to stereotype about models or their level of photographic knowledge.

once again, a voice of reason

Jul 26 12 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Never

Jul 26 12 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

DanaBarrett Photography

Franklin, Tennessee, US

Tf does not mean get my RAW files, but for the right price, sure. 

(Feeling like a parrot)

Jul 26 12 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Ferndale, California, US

For TF I provide prints and web res files.

I don't give out raw files or even hi-res files of any type.

Key word there, being give. If the llama really needed either for some reason, I would be happy to negotiate a price for her to purchase rights to them.

Jul 26 12 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

KeithD3

Saint Joseph, Missouri, US

No.  Unless that is part of the agreement with a client.

Jul 26 12 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Lumatic

Brooklyn, New York, US

Unless it's stipulated in an agreement with a paying client, no.

So far, it's never been stipulated.

Jul 26 12 05:08 pm Link