Forums > Photography Talk > Pro photographers: Do you own an iPhone or Droid

Photographer

Lyman Photography Inc

Fountain Valley, California, US

I am in development for a photo related device and I need to find out what phone is preferred for professionals. Please reply with iPhone, Droid or other please.

Thanks!

Oct 01 12 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

iPhone.

but I seriously don't see why this would matter in the least.  If you're developing something in relation to a phone, or more specifically, an operating system, you'd be shooting half your foot off if you didn't develop for both platforms.

Oct 01 12 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kerrek

Orlando, Florida, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
but I seriously don't see why this would matter in the least.  If you're developing something in relation to a phone, or more specifically, an operating system, you'd be shooting half your foot off if you didn't develop for both platforms.

I hate having to come in and say "what he said" all the time lol

Android for me, though I'm a professional by conduct and results only, I'm not published- or paid- in any significant way.

Oct 01 12 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

If you're going to develop something, don't limit it to one thing unless you can't code for both.  Make it usable by everyone and available as well.

Oct 01 12 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Tricolorkittie

Jacksonville, Florida, US

iPhone

Oct 01 12 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Kaouthia

Wishaw, Scotland, United Kingdom

2 iPhones (a 3Gs and a 4s) and an iPad 3.

Oct 01 12 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Kaouthia

Wishaw, Scotland, United Kingdom

Good Egg Productions wrote:
you'd be shooting half your foot off if you didn't develop for both platforms.

You're still generally going to develop it for one platform first, before the other.

Oct 01 12 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Lyman Photography Inc

Fountain Valley, California, US

I totally agree and we do plan on making it for both, but we need to make a presentation to the investors and this survey's results will be part of it.

Oct 01 12 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Albertex Photography

Mansfield, Texas, US

iPhone

Oct 01 12 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

One that links with my slate ( tablet ) and allows flash and google maps.

The OS one person uses should not be the grounds for making your own choice, it should be what is going to suit you.

Alternatively - don't be a sheep, show that you are discerning in what you will use.

Oct 01 12 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Pro photographers: Do you own an iPhone or Droid

I've seen THOUSANDS of photographers on this site who appear to be content with showcasing cell phone images in their port... roll... tongue   Do they possess amazing lenses and fabulous sensors?... lol  Hate to break your heart... not a single cell phone pic on these images pages... wink

Oct 01 12 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

^^^ photoimager, you do realize that sheep occupy both sides of the fence right?

iPhone for me
since I committed to linking all my devices together in the beginning for portfolio and networking reasons... It really shouldn't matter anyways what I or anyone uses, just use what feels right to you that will get the job done and fits your daily life.

Oct 01 12 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Samsung Galaxy SIII.

Oct 01 12 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

photoimager wrote:
One that links with my slate ( tablet ) and allows flash and google maps.

The OS one person uses should not be the grounds for making your own choice, it should be what is going to suit you.

Alternatively - don't be a sheep, show that you are discerning in what you will use.

Try again.  He isn't looking for advice about what phone to buy for personal use.  He's conducting an informal market survey of potential customers for an application to run on their phones.

Oct 01 12 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

Lyman Photography Inc wrote:
I am in development for a photo related device and I need to find out what phone is preferred for professionals. Please reply with iPhone, Droid or other please.

Thanks!

Paid app?  It's not just a question of whether there are more iOS or Android phones in your target market.  Generally, it's easier to get iOS owners to pay for apps than Android owners.

Oct 01 12 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Droid Razr Maxx here -   

I get max bars just about everywhere even on location in the mountains of Madison County

and the battery literally lasts for days....

Oct 01 12 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
I get max bars just about everywhere even on location in the mountains of Madison County

I don't see any bridges in your portfolio.

Oct 01 12 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Marty McBride

Owensboro, Kentucky, US

Robert Lynch wrote:
Generally, it's easier to get iOS owners to pay for apps than Android owners.

Easier, because generally speaking you have to pay for most of what you download on an iPhone versus Android. I haven't paid for an app or any of hundreds and hundreds of songs yet for my Droid.

Oct 01 12 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Marty McBride

Owensboro, Kentucky, US

Thanks!

Apple iPhone 4s and 5 have the best phone cameras going. If I were going to build a photo related app, I'd start there. I wish my Droid took the quality of images the iPhones do.

Oct 01 12 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

DreamOrchid

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I personally like the android but I use an ipad (which can't use flash) so code for both mediums.

Marty McBride wrote:
Apple iPhone 4s and 5 have the best phone cameras going. If I were going to build a photo related app, I'd start there. I wish my Droid took the quality of images the iPhones do.

I was hoping he was referring to an app maybe not sure actually lol but as photography goes if he's serious a phone camera period is not the way to go.

My Droid takes horror pictures as well, the iphone isn't far off but a little better.  Just tonight I was wishing I had my Nikon on me.

Oct 01 12 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Don Heffern II

Costa Mesa, California, US

Droid

Oct 02 12 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Ally Moy

New York, New York, US

Droid. I never plan to buy an iphone.

You should really do both.

Oct 02 12 12:07 am Link

Photographer

PhotographybyT

Monterey, California, US

Android.

Oct 02 12 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Long time iPhone user and have converted away from the Dark Side. Am now using a  Samsung Galaxy SII and am upgrading to the SIII next week!

Oct 02 12 12:17 am Link

Photographer

mmmtangerine

Ontario, California, US

iphone

To each their own, but im not sure why people are bringing up flash.  since it is no longer being developed for android anyways.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ado … a-whimper/

Oct 02 12 12:30 am Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

I don't think you can go wrong with either platform. I'm an Android user, both systems have devices that are as capable.

Flip a coin.

There's some stiff competition for remote controlling on the Android side. DSLR controller allows me to tether to my Nexus 7, connect to my phone with wifi, and control things wirelessly with liveview. Or I can just use the Nexus 7, but there's a lot of possibilities for me for wireless use.

I also downloaded some other free versions of other apps but not as mature as DSLR controller.

Oct 02 12 01:00 am Link

Photographer

Robert Winn Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

iPhone 4s

Oct 02 12 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Los Angeles, California, US

Samsung S3.

Just found it better all round. Plus I hate small screens.

Will be getting a Samsung Note II when my provider has it.

Also if you are developing a photo application keep in mind that Android is designed
with operating cameras in mind. It has already been used in a new Samsung and Nikon camera. Google just bought Nik Software so you can expect to see more photography orientation being integrated into the Android OS.

Oct 02 12 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Richard Nolan

London, England, United Kingdom

iPhone 4S and iPad 2.  I find easy to share images across platforms.  I also hear that iPhone users will pay for apps more easily.  Look at Apples recent financials  and the performance of the app store

Oct 02 12 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Old T-Mobile G2 (HTC Desire-Z) here, rooted with custom ICS rom.

... but I also own a first generation iPad (jailbroken iOS 5.1.1), and I'm a mac user (early 2008 macbook).

Oct 02 12 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

Marty McBride wrote:
Easier, because generally speaking you have to pay for most of what you download on an iPhone versus Android. I haven't paid for an app or any of hundreds and hundreds of songs yet for my Droid.

Not necessarily.  I have a lot of free apps on my iPad along with paid apps and I have some paid apps on my Rezound along with the free ones.

Oct 02 12 06:32 am Link

Photographer

Primordial Creative

Los Angeles, California, US

Android, Samsung galaxy2
Model Mayhem's forum is now the place where developers study what "professionals" use, eh?

Oct 02 12 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

iPhone

Oct 02 12 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Thanks!

iPhone 5

Honestly though, I think it's a mistake to get what others prefer.  You should get what you prefer.

nevermind...read the OP wrong.

Totally go iPhone.  Android are wannabe phones. wink j/k

Oct 02 12 07:28 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Let's say both platforms are needed.  I have had an iPone and I am typing on an iPad but move to an android phone a long time ago, mostly because AT&T sucked and they were the only choice then.

But I really like the 7" tablet format that Apple is still refusing to make, so I carry a android tablet.  As a man I like that it fits in my jacket pocket.  My iPad just feels out of place as I really have no place for it.

Oct 02 12 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Marty McBride

Owensboro, Kentucky, US

Robert Lynch wrote:

Not necessarily.  I have a lot of free apps on my iPad along with paid apps and I have some paid apps on my Rezound along with the free ones.

How many songs have you downloaded for free?

Oct 02 12 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Mike Adams Photos

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Ally Moy wrote:
Droid. I never plan to buy an iphone.

You should really do both.

+1

Oct 02 12 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Matt Throop Photography

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

I have Android (Samsung Galaxy SII & Acer Iconia A200 tablet) but that's just a preference.

But develop for both.

Oct 02 12 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Ezhini

Wichita, Kansas, US

If you got this poll done and have something or anything of a result, you aint got to develop anything at all to sell.

Just sell the word on the choice of the photographers. I am sure there are companies in line to pay for such knowledge!

That said, I stay away from I-anything!

Oct 02 12 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Dwain Thomas

Columbus, Ohio, US

I have an iphone and a blackberry playbook tablet. Personally, I'd like to see more apps made for the playbook. yeah they are the underdog right now but it's still a good platform.

Oct 02 12 08:32 am Link