Forums > General Industry > ShootingNudesOnly

Model

Mz Muse

Los Angeles, California, US

Am i the only model that gets turned off by photographers that shoot nudes ONLY.

Oct 06 12 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

R L P

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

probably not.

but if that's their passion, it poses no problem to others. agree?

Oct 06 12 07:03 pm Link

Model

Lynn Elizabeth

Palm Beach, Florida, US

I'm sure you are not the only one but if it bothers you, just don't work with them. No one forces you to work with anyone you don't want to.

Oct 06 12 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

DVP Photography

Broomfield, Colorado, US

Don't see an issue.  Shoot with who you want to.  Ignore the others.  What's to get turned off about?

Oct 06 12 07:08 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Don't work with them. No need to create drama over this...

Oct 06 12 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Yes cuz people who specialize in a specific type of photography or subject nature are probably just scum anyways...

Oct 06 12 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

DVP Photography wrote:
Don't see an issue.  Shoot with who you want to.  Ignore the others.  What's to get turned off about?

I can only see it being an issue if said "photographer(s)" were harassing her for not shooting nude.

Oct 06 12 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Erika Muse wrote:
Am i the only model that gets turned off by photographers that shoot nudes ONLY.

I'm going to assume the photographers who only shoot nudes don't care what you think hmm

Just my thoughts ~ MR

Oct 06 12 07:11 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Yes, it's just you;)

Oct 06 12 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

JAE

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

Erika Muse wrote:

If they shoot nudes only and you don't shoot nudes at all I don't think it matters if you get turned off.

Maybe I am missing something but I don't understand this thread tongue

Oct 06 12 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Erika Muse wrote:

Am I the only photographer who gets turned off by models who won't shoot nudes?

Oct 06 12 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Erika Muse wrote:

Is this in general, or do they want to shoot only nudes WITH YOU?

I shoot nudes, and that's all I have in this port, but I do a variety of other things when the models let me.  Like fully clothed, and partly clothed, concepts.  Sometimes the models refuse to not be nude though.

Oct 06 12 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Images by MR wrote:

I'm going to assume the photographers who only shoot nudes don't care what you think hmm

DING! DING! DING!

Oct 06 12 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

Am I the only photographer who gets turned off by models who won't shoot nudes?

Nope

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Are you the only one? Probably not. Just like there's not only one person who discriminates against others for all sorts of stuff.

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Erika Muse wrote:

Ok, let me guess? You want to shoot with certain photographers. But they say they only shoot you if you do nude. And you get totally turned off because of that?

Oct 06 12 07:37 pm Link

Model

Mz Muse

I think nudes can be very artistic depending on the context. And when i become established i plan on doing some. So let me be specific, it's when a photographer claims to shoot many genres but his or her portfolio contains strictly nudes. Its the lack of diversity that is a turn off to me. But I am only sharing my thoughts and oppinions. We are all adults here, there is no reason to get defensive.

Oct 06 12 07:39 pm Link

Model

Mz Muse

Chuckarelei wrote:
Ok, let me guess? You want to shoot with certain photographers. But they say they only shoot you if you do nude. And you get totally turned off because of that?

Yes.

Oct 06 12 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

Erika Muse wrote:
Its the lack of diversity that is a turn off to me.

Then why does it matter if it's nudes? What if he/she only shot babies?

Oct 06 12 07:49 pm Link

Model

Mz Muse

C s p i n e wrote:

Then why does it matter if it's nudes? What if he/she only shot babies?

Then that would have nothing to do with me because the photographer wouldn't see a need to include me in his "babies only" projects.

Oct 06 12 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Erika Muse wrote:

Then that would have nothing to do with me because the photographer wouldn't see a need to include me in his "babies only" projects.

You're avoiding the question about diversity.  What if he only shot red bikinis?  Or purple sun dresses?  Or models with masks?  Would that bother you as well?

Oct 06 12 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Erika Muse wrote:

If a photographer only shoots nudes and you don't do them, why would they see a need to include you in "nudes only" projects if you don't do them?

My opinion:  if you plan to do nudes at some point in your career, what does waiting accomplish besides allowing your body to get older?  If you are going to do them, do them now.  If you aren't, what's the problem with people who do?

I don't get upset when a model only wants to do goth or gory scenes.  When they ask me, I tell them this is something I've got zero interest in and the chances are good someone else will deliver a much higher quality image because it's what they're into.  If they still want me to shoot them, I don't want to hear any complaints later.  Most take it as a hint that I don't want to shoot with them in that genre, though.

Oct 06 12 08:00 pm Link

Model

Mz Muse

BTHPhoto wrote:

You're avoiding the question about diversity.  What if he only shot red bikinis?  Or purple sun dresses?  Or models with masks?  Would that bother you as well?

If a photographer shoots only one genre then he or she should state that. Not claim many and only specify in ONE. This is what bothers me. Especially when said photographer wants to include me in his projects.

Oct 06 12 08:05 pm Link

Model

Mz Muse

Lovely Day Media wrote:

Erika Muse wrote:

If a photographer only shoots nudes and you don't do them, why would they see a need to include you in "nudes only" projects if you don't do them?

Exactly ! Lol. My profile clearly states what i like and what i dont like. What i will and will not do. And my port is a reflection of those things. I am still being harassed to do nudes.

Oct 06 12 08:08 pm Link

Model

Mz Muse

Lovely Day Media wrote:

My opinion:  if you plan to do nudes at some point in your career, what does waiting accomplish besides allowing your body to get older?  If you are going to do them, do them now.  If you aren't, what's the problem with people who do?

I don't get upset when a model only wants to do goth or gory scenes.  When they ask me, I tell them this is something I've got zero interest in and the chances are good someone else will deliver a much higher quality image because it's what they're into.  If they still want me to shoot them, I don't want to hear any complaints later.  Most take it as a hint that I don't want to shoot with them in that genre, though.

I messed up when i tried to reply to your quote. But yes, you are right. I shouldnt be contacted for nudes when i've clearly stated i dont do them, but photographers continue to ask and persuade me to.

Oct 06 12 08:15 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Erika Muse wrote:

If a photographer shoots only one genre then he or she should state that. Not claim many and only specify in ONE. This is what bothers me. Especially when said photographer wants to include me in his projects.

All you have to say is two simple words.

1) No.
2) Thanks.

Oct 06 12 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Eridu

Boston, Massachusetts, US

P I X I E wrote:

1) No.
2) Thanks.

Somebody call a Waaaaaambulance!

Oct 06 12 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Erika Muse wrote:
But yes, you are right. I shouldnt be contacted for nudes when i've clearly stated i dont do them, but photographers continue to ask and persuade me to.

Sorry, this is not correct.  As long as a large percentage of models on MM state that they don't do nudes, but actually do, then it is not wrong to ask a model who states "no nudes" whether they're interested in nude work.  Asking repeatedly, or not taking no for an answer is wrong, but as long as "no" means "maybe" much of the time, asking is not.

P I X I E wrote:

1) No.
2) Thanks.

Simple as that.

Oct 06 12 08:19 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Autonomy II wrote:

Somebody call a Waaaaaambulance!

Seriously. Some people are just trying to start drama for the smallest things.

Oct 06 12 08:22 pm Link

Model

Mz Muse

P I X I E wrote:

Seriously. Some people are just trying to start drama for the smallest things.

Starting drama is what you are accusing me of?

Oct 06 12 08:25 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Erika Muse wrote:

Starting drama is what you are accusing me of?

Freaking out and getting all bent out of shape because photographers ask you if you shoot nudes, AND start a thread about it? Yeah, that's being dramatic.

Oct 06 12 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

BTHPhoto wrote:
Sorry, this is not correct.  As long as a large percentage of models on MM state that they don't do nudes, but actually do, then it is not wrong to ask a model who states "no nudes" whether they're interested in nude work.  Asking repeatedly, or not taking no for an answer is wrong, but as long as "no" means "maybe" much of the time, asking is not.

+1

90% or more of my nude work is from models who "Don't shoot nudes" - If I feel your look works for the project, I'll contact ya. You're free to turn it down.

Oct 06 12 08:28 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

4 years ago when I started out, I had photographers ask me if I shot nudes. I politely turned them down.

FTR I started shooting nudes about 6 months after I started modeling.

Oct 06 12 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

Erika Muse wrote:
I think nudes can be very artistic depending on the context. And when i become established i plan on doing some. So let me be specific, it's when a photographer claims to shoot many genres but his or her portfolio contains strictly nudes. Its the lack of diversity that is a turn off to me. But I am only sharing my thoughts and oppinions. We are all adults here, there is no reason to get defensive.

Why does someone need to do diverse work?

It's their work. They're going to do what their passion is. You don't have to participate in it if you don't want to.

And I'm not sure what you mean by them "claiming" to shoot many genres. Are you taking about the list of genres on their profile? Sometimes those aren't accurate, like many things on profiles. I view that more as things someone is willing to do. Like I would do them if someone paid me to. Not necessarily the same thing as what someone chooses to do for their own personal work.

Oct 06 12 08:29 pm Link

Model

Mz Muse

BTHPhoto wrote:

Erika Muse wrote:
But yes, you are right. I shouldnt be contacted for nudes when i've clearly stated i dont do them, but photographers continue to ask and persuade me to.

Simple as that.

"Asking repeatedly, or not taking no for an answer is wrong" yes...yes it is

Oct 06 12 08:30 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Erika Muse wrote:

"Asking repeatedly, or not taking no for an answer is wrong" yes...yes it is

There's this nice little feature called "Blocking". I suggest you use it when you encounter one of these people.

Oct 06 12 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

Erika Muse wrote:
I messed up when i tried to reply to your quote. But yes, you are right. I shouldnt be contacted for nudes when i've clearly stated i dont do them, but photographers continue to ask and persuade me to.

You have to keep in mind that some models say No to nudes in their profile, but will do them selectively. They say no to hopefully ward off at least some of the GWCs, but they will do them with photographers they like. Once you learn this as a photographer, then it makes sense to ask even if someone says no in their profile.

All you have to do is say no if you're asked. That's it. If they harass you about it, block them.

Or your other option is to convince every other model on the site to only do what their profile says. And then we can stop asking.

Oct 06 12 08:34 pm Link

Model

Mz Muse

P I X I E wrote:

Freaking out and getting all bent out of shape because photographers ask you if you shoot nudes, AND start a thread about it? Yeah, that's being dramatic.

Its the REPEATED asking by the same photographers and the constant persuading that led me to ask a simple question in search for others oppinions.  There is nothing to say, "freak out" about. Lol

Oct 06 12 08:35 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Erika Muse wrote:

Its the REPEATED asking by the same photographers and the constant persuading that led me to ask a simple question in search for others oppinions.  There is nothing to say, "freak out" about. Lol

I covered that in my previous post. Block and move on. These people won't really go away.

Oct 06 12 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Hikari Tech Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Erika Muse wrote:

I'm sure there are nudists that get turned off by those photographers that only shoot clothed people. hmm

If nudes are not your bag then no worries. Some don't shoot models with tats or metal in their face. Others only shoot inked and metal clad bodies. To each their own.

Oct 06 12 08:37 pm Link