Forums > Critique > First Art Nudes -- Thoughts?

Photographer

dhp

Petaluma, California, US

I just did my first art nude shoot and wanted to share:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1852474/306729

Overall I'm pretty happy with these but am curious to know what others think. C&C welcome.

Thanks!

Jan 17 13 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan South

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

very nice!  Second is my least favorite.  Seems pushed in post or something and has a "too hard" feeling for my taste.

Jan 17 13 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

karenjerzykphotography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Well done!

Jan 17 13 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

With all due respect.... you couldn't have worked with a better model for art nudes.

I have a weird feeling you'd have gotten amazing stuff with your iphone and a desk lamp.

Jan 17 13 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

dhp

Petaluma, California, US

ELiffmann wrote:
very nice!  Second is my least favorite.  Seems pushed in post or something and has a "too hard" feeling for my taste.

Thanks--I actually was going for more of a gritty look with that one. I wanted to try a couple different takes on it.

karenjerzykphotography wrote:
Well done!

Thanks!

Jan 17 13 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

dhp

Petaluma, California, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
With all due respect.... you couldn't have worked with a better model for art nudes.

I have a weird feeling you'd have gotten amazing stuff with your iphone and a desk lamp.

there's no doubt that the model added to the quality of these shots. as with much of photography, the subject plays a huge role in the final product.

that said, I did put a lot of thought into how I lit her and composed the shots. but i'm sorry you seem so unimpressed.

Jan 17 13 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Hall - Fine Art

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

...about sums it up, without saying the obvious.

Jan 17 13 02:25 pm Link

Model

Floofie

Portland, Oregon, US

Knocked it out of the park big_smile

Jan 17 13 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

The Falcons Nest

Brooklyn, New York, US

If that's your first art nude work, I'm glad I got to see your stuff before you won the Pulitzer.

I'm feelin' it.

Jan 17 13 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

I like 'em, especially the first and second smile

Jan 17 13 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

NICE!

Jan 17 13 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

NakedPresence

Dungarvan, Waterford, Ireland

Number 2 is my fav. 

I like the way it's processed and it shows off the tautness/fitness of the model.  In composition, sometimes people talk about setting up triangles to improve the photo and you've got lots of them going on.

Jan 17 13 03:01 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Art of Vincent Wolff

Wheaton, Illinois, US

3 is my favorite, but I like the others too.  really good work

Jan 17 13 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

dhp wrote:

there's no doubt that the model added to the quality of these shots. as with much of photography, the subject plays a huge role in the final product.

that said, I did put a lot of thought into how I lit her and composed the shots. but i'm sorry you seem so unimpressed.

If you wanted a handjob, here...

The images are very good.

EXCELLENT for a first attempt at art nudes ever.

I don't necessarily agree with the noise in the treatments.

Good job.

Jan 17 13 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Supermodel Photographer

Oyster Bay, New York, US

dhp wrote:
First Art Nudes -- Thoughts?

Not that I notice.

Jan 17 13 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Model is great.  Lighting is good, I think, but the post work is way off, My OP.

The problem might be in how you did the B & W conversions?

Hope you saved the RAW files.

Chuck

Jan 17 13 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

dhp

Petaluma, California, US

If you wanted a handjob, here...

The images are very good.

EXCELLENT for a first attempt at art nudes ever.

I just took issue in what I interpreted to imply that I did virtually nothing in the creation of these photographs. Which is unhelpful and condescending. Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's how I took it.

I don't necessarily agree with the noise in the treatments.

Good job.

This is more helpful.

BCADULTART wrote:
Model is great.  Lighting is good, I think, but the post work is way off, My OP.

The problem might be in how you did the B & W conversions?

Hope you saved the RAW files.

Chuck

What is "way off" about the B&W in your eyes?

Thanks all others, for the comments

Jan 17 13 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

I apologize.  Wrong foot.

What I was doing was complimenting you on your choice for a model to dip your toes into the world of art nudes.

I've seen some people take models of this caliber and really do them an injustice.  You have not made such a mistake.  I like the images.  I think very little things like a slightly wider framing may have made things better.  The crops look a little tight on the all three images.

So that's all I was saying.  It's probably jealousy that I haven't ever had the pleasure of working with her.

Jan 17 13 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

dhp

Petaluma, California, US

I apologize.  Wrong foot.

What I was doing was complimenting you on your choice for a model to dip your toes into the world of art nudes.

I've seen some people take models of this caliber and really do them an injustice.  You have not made such a mistake.  I like the images.  I think very little things like a slightly wider framing may have made things better.  The crops look a little tight on the all three images.

I wish I had more space to work with but I was using my tiny apt in SF. I agree the framing is a bit tight. Originally we were going to do some location work but it was freezing cold. Next time...

So that's all I was saying.  It's probably jealousy that I haven't ever had the pleasure of working with her.

No worries. She is a tremendously talented model. I'd be jealous, too.

Jan 17 13 03:44 pm Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

I think that #1 is FANTASTIC and belongs in an art book!

Well done!! I can't compliment you enough!

Jan 17 13 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

HIGHTISTIC

Anchorage, Alaska, US

I dont think they are bad but they are just boring for me. Those shots are no different than naked girl with caution tape or on railroad tracks. Nothing about them is original or shows you as the artist because they are simply representations of a million other shots done a million times before:(

Jan 17 13 03:49 pm Link

Model

Cole Morrison

Portland, Oregon, US

I can only say WOW JEALOUS those are amazing shots!

Jan 17 13 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

dhp

Petaluma, California, US

SMASSH STUDIO wrote:
I dont think they are bad but they are just boring for me. Those shots are no different than naked girl with caution tape or on railroad tracks. Nothing about them is original or shows you as the artist because they are simply representations of a million other shots done a million times before:(

I agree with you that they are not anything particularly unique or original. Therefore calling it "fine art" is probably a stretch, but I meant it more in terms of genre. However I disagree that about it conceptually being equated to the caution tape and railroad track types shots.

Railroads, gas masks, caution tapes, and similarly cliche shots are uninventive but at the same time serve no purpose and have no meaning (generally speaking). There is no objective criteria with which to evaluate these types of shots ("what's the point?"). You only have the content, which has no meaning, and therefore is constantly ridiculed. It's not ridiculed purely because it is repeated, but more because it is repeated AND serves no purpose.

Whereas what I was after was something that could be looked at both objectively and subjectively:

The purpose of this shoot was finding ways to define the lines and physicality of the model. It was also experimental in that I had never done anything like this before (so I didn't exactly have high hopes of re-defining a genre). This is something that can be evaluated objectively (does the light and shadow define the figure? if no, what could be changed to reach that goal?). Whether or not it is of interest of you falls under subjectivity and I respect other's opinions of whether something I create is boring or not. And if that's how you feel, I totally accept that.

Jan 17 13 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

I'd don't know what body they were shot with or what processing software you used but the conversion from RGB or sRGB to B & W did not work, in my opinion.

Chuck

Jan 17 13 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Good model choice and there's a grit to the processing that I like. It's not the smoothness that I expect with the poses so it's nicely unexpected.

Jan 17 13 06:24 pm Link

Model

JP09

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Love love the texture an lighting. Well done.

Jan 18 13 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

They're not so much black and white, they're more grey and grey.  Having said that, for a first attempt they're very good, I think.

Have you thought about posting the originals in the retouching forum to see what others can do with them?

Jan 18 13 02:29 am Link

Photographer

O Team Photography

Duncan, British Columbia, Canada

We think they were well  done and artistic.

Jan 18 13 03:39 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Really like them, the light and form are wonderful.

Jan 18 13 03:55 am Link

Photographer

dhp

Petaluma, California, US

Kent Art Photography wrote:
They're not so much black and white, they're more grey and grey.  Having said that, for a first attempt they're very good, I think.

Have you thought about posting the originals in the retouching forum to see what others can do with them?

Thanks. I was very deliberate in my processing and was also just experimenting with the look. I know that traditionally these shots have a wider range of grays within them, tonally go from black to white, and tend to look very smooth and "pretty." I wasn't going for that. I was looking to push it into raw and gritty.

I'm very comfortable in my post production so I don't have any interest really in seeing what others do with it.

Neil Snape wrote:
Really like them, the light and form are wonderful.

Thank you Neil--I am a big fan of your work. Your work with color mixing and gels have been inspirational for years!

-- Thanks all others for your comments as well!

Jan 18 13 11:35 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I think the first one is great.  Great light.  I like the processing and the overall image just the way it is.

The other two don't interest me nearly as much as the first.

Jan 18 13 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Danel Photography

New York, New York, US

of the park

Jan 22 13 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Minx & Fox

Palm Springs, California, US

Lovely work!

Jan 22 13 10:02 am Link