Forums > Photography Talk > 'De-noise' software?

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Can I have opinions from photographers that have used noise reduction software as to their favourite/least favourite brand(s), please.

I've used 'Neat' in the past and of course Photoshop's own label but am wondering if anybody has experience with some software they'd heartily recommend for the more demanding images.

Jan 18 13 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Greggain Photography

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

I bought Topaz DeNoise 5 and I like it. Lots of control and it seems to be rated well.

Jan 18 13 02:30 am Link

Photographer

Dave Richards

Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand

Dfine by Nik Software is outstanding.  You can download it from their site for a 30-day trial.

Jan 18 13 02:38 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

i have used noise ninja for about 4 years now very happy with it.

Jan 18 13 02:48 am Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Noise Ninja, but I spend a lot of time masking.

Chuck

Jan 18 13 03:01 am Link

Photographer

PaulGood

Southampton, England, United Kingdom

I tried Nik Dfine2.0 and wasnt impressed enough to buy it.

Jan 18 13 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Thanks guys.

I'm now trialing Topaz 5.

Any advances on this product?

Jan 18 13 04:14 am Link

Photographer

liddellphoto

London, England, United Kingdom

I've found lightroom 4 the best. I don't use noise reduction much though, I'd rather have noise than loss of detail.

Jan 18 13 04:34 am Link

Photographer

WMcK

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

I have Topaz Denoise and Neat Image. However I have found ACR noise reduction to be most effective. This is probably because it operates on the linear image before gamma correction, which is far more effective than NR applied to, for instance, a Jpeg or Tiff.

Jan 18 13 04:36 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I read a comparison report last year and the thing that stuck was that both Photoshop and Lightroom, although somewhat improved over earlier versions, were still bottom of the class as far as dealing with noise is concerned and that all of the software mentioned above did a better job.

Jan 18 13 04:53 am Link

Photographer

-Ira

New York, New York, US

Dave Richards wrote:
Dfine by Nik Software is outstanding.  You can download it from their site for a 30-day trial.

+1.  I also never globally apply the noise reduction.

Jan 18 13 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Shades Of Gray

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Noise Ninja works for me.  Even though I haven't needed any noise reduction for some time.  I am a little gun shy about trying anything from Topaz again.  I loaded a demo from them once and ended up having to reload CS-whatever I was using at the time, to get rid of its intrusive pop-ups.

Jan 18 13 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

I've used NoiseWare Pro for about five years. It's comparable to Noise Ninja. I'm happy with NoiseWare Pro, except their tech support leaves a lot to be desired.

Jan 18 13 07:57 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have used Topaz but now just Ligthroom 4 for it.  It does a good job and I didn't see the need to upgrade to get 64but version of some plugins.  I use very few now in PS

Jan 18 13 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Fair

Palm Coast, Florida, US

I used Noise Ninja for a few years, but after buying the Portraiture set that came with Noiseware, and Realgrain I didn't even load NN on my new PC.

Jan 18 13 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

LR 4. Noise is no big deal for web sized images and even less important for printing.

Jan 18 13 09:01 am Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

The newest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom do everything I need in terms of noise reduction.

Jan 18 13 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

I used to use Neat Image.

But then I got a D700.

Jan 18 13 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Image Works Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I tried Topaz Denoise like 2 years ago and did a very well job but not for portraits. It was more for landscape work. I don't know it has changed but it soften people faces and eyes. I wished it had a local ajustment instead of the whole image. The nikon capture nx2 software gives that ability. If I could had used it also in Topaz that will be awesome. I think their denoising software is very good tho and probably its better now. I also moved to FF so its not a factor in my shots.

Jan 18 13 09:32 am Link

Photographer

4point0

Los Angeles, California, US

liddellphoto wrote:
I've found lightroom 4 the best. I don't use noise reduction much though, I'd rather have noise than loss of detail.

Most things I shoot are on location, dark and/ or fast moving and generally I'm not allowed to use a flash. So noise is a big, big problem for me. In the past Noise Ninja was the only way to go. However I've found Lightroom handles noise quite well.

Jan 18 13 11:18 am Link

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

My non scientific tests shows that Topaz Denoise may be the best for luma noise, DenoiseMyImage may be the best for chroma noise and the new NoiseWare may stand in between, I did not tested the new Neat Image, depending on the image type(and the operator skill) one may excel the other...
For skin maybe  NoiseWare is better, but for hair/fabric maybe Topaz Denoise is.

Jan 18 13 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

MCB Imagery

Portland, Oregon, US

I use Imagenomic Noiseware -- been pretty happy with it.
Looking forward to picking up a D600/800.  Hopeful I won't need to lean as heavily on noise reduction as I do now.  wink

Jan 18 13 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Sashka of SME

Phoenix, Arizona, US

hmm, I was not aware that there are single purpose software to do noise reduction. Photoshop doesn't do a good job to what these types of programs can do? Maybe don't shoot at such a high ISO in the first place?

Jan 18 13 12:23 pm Link

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Photoshop native noise reduction is not good, but ACR/Lightroom are very good.

Jan 18 13 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sure. Stand-alone? Noiseware. Filter? Bounty Freeware.

Ðanny
http://www.dbiphotography.com (Blog On Site) 

Jan 18 13 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams Creation

London, Ontario, Canada

Imageography wrote:
I bought Topaz DeNoise 5 and I like it. Lots of control and it seems to be rated well.

I use this as well, great software.

Jan 18 13 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Topaz for people and Neatimage for landscapes....

Jan 18 13 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Sasha R Expressions  wrote:
hmm, I was not aware that there are single purpose software to do noise reduction. Photoshop doesn't do a good job to what these types of programs can do? Maybe don't shoot at such a high ISO in the first place?

hmm these products have been around for years.  There is a reason for it. Not everyone is always shooting in perfect studio environments.  And you can have noise issues at ISO400 if you are forced to underexpose some of your image to keep from blowing out highlights elsewhere.  What I am trying to say is...hmm...if you don't know anything about a subject (and others in the thread clearly do) why are you posting?

Jan 18 13 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Julia Koch

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Used Noise Ninja before, using Topas DeNoise now

Jan 18 13 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

Noise Ninja for PS

Jan 19 13 05:56 am Link

Photographer

Ken D Photography

Marietta, Ohio, US

Aaron Lewis Photography wrote:
Noise Ninja for PS

with masking it works for me.

Jan 19 13 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Thanks Guys.

I've been trialing Topaz 5 for a couple of days now and really like it.

I've been using it on action images shot deep in a forest on a dull day where picking up noise was unavoidable. I've run comparisons with Photoshop (although it is CS4) and it's far better.

What I've found works for me to to get the best image I can using Topaz and then in Photoshop Masking it and judiciously painting in the appropriate areas of detail, from the original, with layers of low opacity.

Jan 19 13 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

Ken D Photography wrote:

with masking it works for me.

I need to learn more about PS in general, but especially the effective use of masks.

Jan 19 13 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Rebus Imagery

Kailua, Hawaii, US

Lightroom 4 for most noise issues resulting from high ISO images. I can adjust one image and rapidly replicate the adjustment across all images shot under the same conditions. It's not top shelf noise reduction as others have mentioned but an 80% solution within five minutes for hundreds of images is a serious time saver!

If I need to fine tune some images and really focus on noise reduction I use Dfine from NIK Software.

Jan 19 13 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Luc_Smith

Los Angeles, California, US

Yes. Lightroom 4.

Jan 19 13 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticGlamour

Phoenix, Arizona, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
hmm these products have been around for years.  There is a reason for it. Not everyone is always shooting in perfect studio environments.  And you can have noise issues at ISO400 if you are forced to underexpose some of your image to keep from blowing out highlights elsewhere.  What I am trying to say is...hmm...if you don't know anything about a subject (and others in the thread clearly do) why are you posting?

I actually valued his contribution as much as yours! wink LOL! But, maybe it's cuz he's from Phoenix. Perhaps you should run for moderator if you need to have all the folks opinions/questions meet with YOUR approval...then you can just delete shit you don't like instead of wasting bandwidth with personal attacks about it. WTF. You did see the question marks on the end of his sentences, right?

Jan 19 13 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticGlamour

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I am pretty happy with what Photoshop's Adobe Camera Raw does, and making the upgrade to a "better camera" let me shoot at the higher ISO's. Images that are much less noisy than under the old camera. Each camera's sensor (and firmware) is different and induces or controls different types and amounts of noise...at different ("better" or "worse") ISO's. My old a350 was noisy at ISO 400! The a55 is one of the best sensors/firmware combinations out there (similar to the Nikon D7000) for noise control.

Jan 19 13 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

ArtisticGlamour wrote:

I actually valued his contribution as much as yours! wink LOL! But, maybe it's cuz he's from Phoenix. Perhaps you should run for moderator if you need to have all the folks opinions/questions meet with YOUR approval...then you can just delete shit you don't like instead of wasting bandwidth with personal attacks about it. WTF. You did see the question marks on the end of his sentences, right?

I did see the question marks. it was still a suggestion (at least) that the rest of us didnt know wtf we were doing. but go ahead and value his suggestions as much as you want tongue

Jan 19 13 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticGlamour

Phoenix, Arizona, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
I did see the question marks. it was still a suggestion (at least) that the rest of us didnt know wtf we were doing. but go ahead and value his suggestions as much as you want tongue

I didn't take it that way at all, Bro! wink But I don't try to represent "we" or "the rest of us". In the military we used to call that being an "Honorary Corporal".

The First Sergeant would go get a haircut...and some (temporary promotion) "honorary" corporal was put "in charge" for 1/2 hour, and immediately had to "moderate" the rest of us. LOL!

Emails and posts are often confusing with "tone" so I (try) to give the benefit of the doubt until it get's VERY obvious the person is being an ass. Also could be ESL issues. Syntax/structure, etc.

Jan 19 13 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

ArtisticGlamour wrote:
I am pretty happy with what Photoshop's Adobe Camera Raw does, and making the upgrade to a "better camera" let me shoot at the higher ISO's. Images that are much less noisy than under the old camera. Each camera's sensor (and firmware) is different and induces or controls different types and amounts of noise...at different ("better" or "worse") ISO's. My old a350 was noisy at ISO 400! The a55 is one of the best sensors/firmware combinations out there (similar to the Nikon D7000) for noise control.

Jan 19 13 06:29 pm Link