Forums > General Industry > Shouldn't a good MM Port include a few male models

Photographer

Jay Strange

Tampa, Florida, US

I'm kinda' new around here and my initial impression is that most
MM photographers have only female models in their ports....
Not ALL but,most...
I would agree that when a person mentions the word "model",
97% of people immediately think "female".
But,don't you think having a few token males in your port adds
balance and could be beneficial?

EDIT:Apologies...seems my use of the word "good" was mis-construed by some...It was never my intention to suggest that a port couldn't be Pro level quality and/or artistic
w/o pix of male models...

Feb 23 13 09:13 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

If "most" photographers are into glamour... and prefer girls doing the "come hither" look instead of guys... don't see a problem.

Feb 23 13 09:16 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

No. Because I have no interest in shooting male models.

My regular portfolio contains some male portraits, as part of my commercial work involves corporate headshots and portraits, but that's not what I use MM for...

Feb 23 13 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Terrell Gates

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

Jay Strange wrote:
Not ALL but,most...

I have lots of Males sprinkled with Females...

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121109/14/509d7e6ac95ad.jpg

Feb 23 13 09:22 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

Photographers generally shoot what they find sexually appealing, or what there's a market for financially.

Feb 23 13 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Richard Karlsen

Gloversville, New York, US

Actually I have been thinking about adding some male models and MF couples, but haven't had a lot of success. I prefer doing Figure/Glamour type work, finding female models in my small town area is difficult, male models seem next to impossible.  I have found 2 MM models that happen to be a couple in real life and recently did a shoot with them that turned out great!  Hopefully it is the start of something that will work well in the future.  Time will tell!!

Feb 23 13 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Jay Strange wrote:
Shouldn't a good MM Port include a few male models (...) don't you think having a few token males in your port adds balance and could be beneficial?

sounds like you're wanting to dictate your definitions to the crowd ... but you're new here & probably don't know the folks yet; "should" rarely goes very far with this bunch, esp. for something as subjective as "good".

best of luck to you! enjoy your stay!

* ref: MMayhem Survival Guide - www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=117121

Feb 23 13 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Backstreet Photography

Salem, Oregon, US

I've tried having male llamas in my port in the past, and was SHOCKED by the comments the images received.  Sadly, many of the people that commented had little more than nude male images in their port. After 3 attempts, i gave up on posting males in my port to avoid the shocking comments  ~~ m'

Feb 23 13 09:47 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Vector 38 wrote:
"should" rarely goes very far with this bunch, esp. for something as subjective as "good".

Well said.

Feb 23 13 09:48 am Link

Photographer

ForeverFotos

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Jay Strange wrote:
Shouldn't a good MM Port include a few male models

ummmmm, not necessarily

Feb 23 13 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I had more, deleted them.

Nothing against shooting males, but it's not what drives me.

To each his own.

Feb 23 13 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Amul La La

London, England, United Kingdom

Why should you're port include anything you don't want it to, surely your already losing if your trying to cater to everyone's needs!

Feb 23 13 10:01 am Link

Photographer

DCP Glamour

Dunwoody, Georgia, US

RKD Photographic wrote:
No. Because I have no interest in shooting male models.

A M U L wrote:
Why should you're port include anything you don't want it to, surely your already losing if your trying to cater to everyone's needs!

That about sums it up.

Feb 23 13 10:06 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Terrell Gates wrote:
I have lots of Males sprinkled with Females...

That's an old top-shelf fantasy of mine... just sayin'...

Mmm.... sprinkles...

Feb 23 13 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Maybe, but I shoot far fewer male models so they are far less likely to be in my portfolio.

If I had a 100 picture slots I might include a photo of a male model, but with 30 available slots males would be over represented with even one image. 

If your clients are all ford buyers, why would you advertise chevys.

Feb 23 13 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Jay Strange wrote:
Not ALL but,most...

most clients don't care if i have male models in my portfolio. In the world of fashion they are usually seen as second class citizens (if you don't believe me check out the difference in an agency day rate for a male vs a female model.) Look through my port, which images have the lowest views and comments? Male images and editorial images.

This image has been up since last July and has 1 comment- there was another male model i shot that day who was amazing, but i removed his photos from mM for lack of interest in the image

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120713/00/4fffd26fab644.jpg

This one almost 2 years, only 6 comments. And yet it appears in an adobe book called "Adobe Photoshop Masterclass"
http://www.adobepress.com/store/adobe-m … 0321890481

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110821/10/4e514486812d3.jpg

I'll be honest, go to my website you will see some of images of men. But it really is about 5% of my fashion work. They work as supplemental imagery when someone wants to do a men's shoot, but for the most part editorial clients want to see portraits of real men, not models, and fashion clients usually only want to book men and women together for a shoot.

I have been told i need more young models, more agency standard models, more beauty shots, more models of different ethnicities, but never more male models.

Feb 23 13 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Jay Strange

Tampa, Florida, US

Not challenging anyones skills or specific interests...
Just trying to make a case for "variety".

Feb 23 13 10:34 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

I ate at an Italian restaurant the other night. By God if the entire menu wasn't full of Italian food choices.

My thought was NOT, "Why don't they make Chicken Chow Mein; that's a popular dish?"

Feb 23 13 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

^^ I was wondering the same thing too!

Feb 23 13 10:41 am Link

Model

Jordan Bunniie

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

You put in your book what you shoot and want to shoot.. Most on here want to shoot pretty girls, not guys.
The ones who want to shoot both, have both.
The ones who shoot only men have only men..

Feb 23 13 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Jay Strange

Tampa, Florida, US

When you walk into "Luigi's" there is an automatic understanding that they don't have sushi or fried catfish on the menu.
When someone is looking at your port for the first time,that same automatic understanding isn't there...I think.
I'll accept $150-$200 from anyone who needs a port update...male OR female.

Feb 23 13 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Justin Marin

KonstantKarma wrote:
Photographers generally shoot what they find sexually appealing, or what there's a market for financially.

Hmm.. wonder if that means I have a secret part of my psychological makeup that I'm ignoring.

In all seriousness, I find it a lot more difficult to find male models that I am interested in working with. I tend to not like the overly muscular guys that seem dominate the results around me.

Feb 23 13 11:49 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Jay Strange wrote:
When you walk into "Luigi's" there is an automatic understanding that they don't have sushi or fried catfish on the menu.
When someone is looking at your port for the first time,that same automatic understanding isn't there...I think.

I haven't looked at your imagery so this isn't a critique, but what if you don't shoot males particularly well? Are you going to take their money and give them so-so pics?

And if you say that you will work on getting better at shooting males (if that's the case) then you are looking at it from more of a business perspective than an artistic one.

That's fine as well, but then you are saying that commercial photography is more important than fine art - and that just doesn't apply to every shooter out there (me, included).

Feb 23 13 11:52 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

Chouseki Lab wrote:

Hmm.. wonder if that means I have a secret part of my psychological makeup that I'm ignoring.

In all seriousness, I find it a lot more difficult to find male models that I am interested in working with. I tend to not like the overly muscular guys that seem dominate the results around me.

If I'm shooting males, I prefer to shoot what I'm turned on by - Thinner types, especially androgynous, not the muscle types. And I have no problem asking them out for dinner later. wink

Feb 23 13 11:53 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

It's MM. You should post what you are interested in shooting.

Feb 23 13 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Shouldn't a good MM Port include a few male models?

Sure, I guess, if you want to be a generic, one-size-fits-all, "well rounded", will take any job, politically correct, "versatile", appealing to the largest common denominator type of photographer.

Feb 23 13 11:58 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Jay Strange wrote:
Not ALL but,most...

I don't think it adds balance but it may add diversity. But that's assuming someone is interested in diversity. Many photographers aren't and prefer to concentrate on a specific niche rather than the Jack of all trades...master of none philosophy.

Could it be beneficial? Sure, if you have interest in shooting more male models. If not, it serves no purpose.

Also, if you yourself are defining them as "token males" it conveys that you really have no interest in shooting them but are only doing it for the benefit of others.

Or, are you really asking if adding male models will make others perceive you as more respectable and/or professional?

Feb 23 13 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Jay Strange wrote:
Not challenging anyones skills or specific interests...
Just trying to make a case for "variety".

I'm not asking for a critique, but take a look at my portfolio.  I'm known to have diversity, and variety!  You'll always find at least one or two males in my portfolio, but out of all the images I have, they attract the least amount of attention.  Star is correct!  Check with any agency, and you'll see that male models are "second class citizens" in the modeling World.  It happens to be one of the very few jobs where females are paid far more for their attractiveness and skills. 

In the past, I've shot many males in portraits, commercial modeling shots, and those involving a female for couples images.  Often times I use a male as a prop for the female model.  These past few years, I've been more focused on glamour images.  If some all male rock band wants promo pictures, a male high school student needs a senior portrait, or a male model approaches me for some commercial work, I'm more than happy to oblige for a price.   It's just not the kind of work that I can sell as easily as I can of female models.

Feb 23 13 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

If I could find on this site more male models who cared about their craft & the artform than they do about showcasing the size of their penis, I'd probably be open to shooting more male models than I do.

Feb 23 13 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Jay Strange wrote:
Not ALL but,most...

I think every photographer should obviously shoot nudes, to add balance.   But, I respect that some choose not to.  Same with males, females, and most any other category of model or style.

Feb 23 13 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Jay Strange wrote:

I'll accept money from anyone who needs a port update.  But odds are, I won't be using those images in mine.

Feb 23 13 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Strange

Tampa, Florida, US

I DON'T consider my work "Art"...and I freely admit that in my profile.

I'm a bit of a "whore" I guess...people need photos...I take their $$...and I give them photos...

My mentality and style ARE commercial...not very arty I'm afraid.

Feb 23 13 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Eastfist

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

Maybe change the word "good" in the title to "well-rounded".

Feb 23 13 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

I am glad I only shoot females. lol

Feb 23 13 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Image Studios

Marengo, Illinois, US

Jay Strange wrote:
Not ALL but,most...

If you want to have a photo that is never looked at. I used to put them up. But no one looked at them.

Feb 23 13 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Why ?

First of all - what is a "good MM port"  ?    You don't really earn anything by impressing the audience of MM.....

Second - if you do not have a need or desire to shoot male models, whether personally, or because of your genre or market,  why should you go out of your way to do so, to please whom again?   (you could say the same thing about shooting any genre or content that does not either interest or pay you.....)

Third  - in my market all of the male models I've seen are beefcake posers.  Not terribly useful in editorial fashion....  If I found some elegant male models of editorial agency proportion, with angular, androgynous looks I would have use for them....  but this is at best a secondary market....

Feb 23 13 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Jay Strange wrote:

That is so cool!

You split the fee with your MUA/stylist?

Feb 23 13 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jirrupin

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

l like shooting guys just as much as gals, but there's a lot less of them here and I've found the ones that I want to shoot are not really interested in the commercial/lifestyle styles I shoot anyway, so the mix in my portfolio just represents the ratio of girls to guys here that actually want to shoot tfp with me!

Feb 23 13 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

MC Photo

New York, New York, US

Jay Strange wrote:
Not ALL but,most...

No. Your port should reflect what you've shot and what you want to shoot.

Putting in something that you don't want to shoot is misleading and just leads to wasted time.

Feb 23 13 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

So it really depends on what the photographer is trying to accomplish.

I shoot clothes, shoes, accessories, beauty products and the like.  All featured in my portfolio, who is wearing them is not the focus.

Feb 23 13 01:56 pm Link