Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > So how many other people resent today?

Model

fluffycakes

Chicago, Illinois, US

Or Mother's Day, or valentines day. I decided I'm going to form a loner club, so people who have nothing to do on these stupid holidays have somewhere to go. I really hate hallmark today.

Jun 16 13 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

fluffycakes wrote:
Or Mother's Day, or valentines day. I decided I'm going to form a loner club, so people who have nothing to do on these stupid holidays have somewhere to go. I really hate hallmark today.

I resent every day.  But I hate the Halloween though Valentines misery months the most.

Jun 16 13 12:17 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Right, so dumb that people do nice things for their Dads today. Wake up sheeple.

Jun 16 13 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Wicked Photos

New York, New York, US

how do you resent a holiday? i wish i had a father to hang out with

Jun 16 13 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

Wicked Photos wrote:
how do you resent a holiday? i wish i had a father to hang out with

I find it easy.  My parents hated me, they didn't want a child, I was a mistake.

Jun 16 13 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

I don't resent holidays. I might ignore them, but why resent them?

Jun 16 13 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

So you resent my day today.  Everyone else was nice!

Jun 16 13 12:47 pm Link

Model

fluffycakes

Chicago, Illinois, US

Schlake wrote:

I find it easy.  My parents hated me, they didn't want a child, I was a mistake.

See. Pretty easy when you have nothing to do and no one who cares enough to be with you. Sone people without one have another parent to spend the day with. My mom doesn't have a dad either and very considerately after putting me in this situation just stayed out long enough last night to sleep all day today. My bf told me he'd spend the day with me and changed his mind this morning.

It's really easy. All over a made up holiday.

Jun 16 13 12:51 pm Link

Model

fluffycakes

Chicago, Illinois, US

Damianne wrote:
Right, so dumb that people do nice things for their Dads today. Wake up sheeple.

Because people with fathers who take care of them should need a special day to do something nice for them.

Jun 16 13 12:52 pm Link

Model

Phane

Rockville, Maryland, US

me.

Jun 16 13 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

fluffycakes wrote:

for future reference, which holidays do you approve?

fluffycakes wrote:

Which holidays arent "made up"?

Jun 16 13 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Just for posterity sake, I was here. smile

I can't.....I just can't. Maybe later....

Jun 16 13 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

fluffycakes wrote:

See. Pretty easy when you have nothing to do and no one who cares enough to be with you. Sone people without one have another parent to spend the day with. My mom doesn't have a dad either and very considerately after putting me in this situation just stayed out long enough last night to sleep all day today. My bf told me he'd spend the day with me and changed his mind this morning.

Sounds more like an issue with your boyfriend not living up to commitments than a problem with father's day.

Jun 16 13 01:13 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm estranged from both of my parents, so I don't have anyone to spend Father's/Mother's Day with either. That being said, I would certainly never begrudge others for celebrating, or be angry/bitter that these holidays exist.  If I were close to my mom & dad, I would definitely take the opportunity to do something nice for them on Father's/Mother's Day, just like most other people do. 

Why be upset?  If you don't celebrate holidays with your parents, today is just another day like any other.  Same with Valentine's day.  If you don't like it, then don't participate, but being upset & resentful is just a waste of energy.  If you think the holidays you mentioned are silly/unnecessary/"made up," why give them power over your emotions, and why care that others choose to celebrate?

Jun 16 13 01:16 pm Link

Model

fluffycakes

Chicago, Illinois, US

rfordphotos wrote:

fluffycakes wrote:

for future reference, which holidays do you approve?

Which holidays arent "made up"?

Most of them-.- valentines day isn't made up, it's also not at all supposed to be about your SO. It comes from a story about some guy named valentine who wrote letters from proson to his loved ones or something stupid like that.

St Patrick's day is to celebrate st. Patrick

Christmas is Jesus's birthday.

Hanukkah is about the 8 nights the oil burned in the lamp right?

The Fourth of July was when we got our independence as a country.

Easter is when Jesus came back from the dead

Thanksgiving is also pretty stupid with the reasoning but hey here's an idea, be thankful and do something for your parents on thanksgiving.

What the fuck is a sweetest day??? Can anyone tell me a history behind it? Or father, mothers, or grandparents day?

Jun 16 13 01:23 pm Link

Model

fluffycakes

Chicago, Illinois, US

Christopher Hartman wrote:

Sounds more like an issue with your boyfriend not living up to commitments than a problem with father's day.

It's an issue of having a dad that doesn't want you. And not having anyone who cares enough to take your mind off of that.

An issue most people have never had.

Jun 16 13 01:24 pm Link

Model

fluffycakes

Chicago, Illinois, US

Phane wrote:
me.

High five.

Jun 16 13 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

fluffycakes wrote:

Wait.....fluffycakes? lol

Jun 16 13 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Shibley

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I resent the commercialization of holidays.

Jun 16 13 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Broughton

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

i've been getting spam trying to guilt me into buying father's day presents for the last couple weeks. both my always sucky birthday and the anniversary of my father's death are in the first half of june.

Jun 16 13 02:02 pm Link

Model

Anastacia Nikolaeva

Brooklyn, New York, US

Resentment is a waste of energy. Not everyone has fathers. Not everyone has good relationships with the fathers they do have. I don't. But what's wrong with having a day to celebrate them if you got 'em?

I'm happy for those people who have a good father to celebrate. For me, it's just another day.

Jun 16 13 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

San Diego Country Estates, California, US

Why do people resent my birthday?

/41 today.

Jun 16 13 02:26 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I don't resent the premise of the holiday but I'm very disappointed in my brother and my father.
Both are parents.
Both have very insensitive controlling wives.

I called to wish my father a happy Father's Day despite my disappointment.

I was able to see everyone's true colors when I got my skin cancer.

Jun 16 13 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Lawrence Guy wrote:

/41 today.

you have to ask ?

tongue

Joyeux anniversaire

Jun 16 13 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Which holidays were not made up?

fluffycakes wrote:
Christmas is Jesus's birthday. Except it's not his birthday. It was coopted from a pagan celebration.

Hanukkah is about the 8 nights the oil burned in the lamp right? Sounds made up.

Easter is when Jesus came back from the dead Ditto.

What the fuck is a sweetest day??? Can anyone tell me a history behind it? Or father, mothers, or grandparents day? Granted, most of these holidays were marketing ploys by greeting-card companies, but what's so wrong with a day to honor our parents?

Jun 16 13 02:57 pm Link

Model

fluffycakes

Chicago, Illinois, US

Lawrence Guy wrote:

/41 today.

Haha I'm sorry, happy birthday(-:

Jun 16 13 03:05 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

If you have a loving relationship with your family, these days are nice.
If you don't, not so much.

They are just holidays.

The only important one is one's birthday imho.
Halloween second.

The rest?
Whatever

Jun 16 13 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

fluffycakes wrote:

Pull your head out of your butt, Fluffy... tongue

First off, why lump all holidays together? Yeah, I think Valentine's Day is cheesy, but who cares? If other couple's want to celebrate it, so be it. I don't resent them for it.

As far as Mother's Day, you shouldn't resent it, unless you really don't think your Mom is worth the recognition.

For me, yeah, I like this day. Raising my son as a single father (after his mother left us both when he was 2) is one of my better accomplishments. And he and his wife are expecting their first kid, and I don't resent that there will be a day to celebrate both of them. Of course, it may upset you further to know that her due date is Halloween.

And besides, I got my son to buy me dinner today. If that's not a reason to celebrate, I don't know what is... lol

Jun 16 13 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Jules NYC wrote:
If you have a loving relationship with your family, these days are nice.
If you don't, not so much.

They are just holidays.

The only important one is one's birthday imho.
Halloween second.

The rest?
Whatever

Halloween!!! Hell yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFPI9b9N6CQ

Jun 16 13 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i just got off the phone with my dad. we never chat for more than a few minutes but it's nice to connect now and then.

for those whose dads have passed i guess you could do something in their memory or to honor them somehow. for the ones where the dad was a loser and left maybe go do some target practice. maybe be creative in your interpretation of the holiday.

Jun 16 13 03:22 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't have a father who wants me and somehow I'm not angry that other people do and are celebrating that today.

Weird.

Jun 16 13 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

I've got lots more important stuff out their to be resentful of.

Seems a waste of emotional energy to resent a fluff holiday.

Jun 16 13 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

If you don't like it, don't participate in it. There are plenty of other things to do.

I might not like Chinese food, or the Episcopalian viewpoint, or playgrounds in parks, or chorinated pools, or attached garages, or..... but resenting them is shouting in the wind. I don't have to indulge in any of that if I don't like it.

My parents and I didn't have the best relationship, but my compensation for that was to raise kids with whom I do have wonderful relationships. Today has been a very nice day.

Jun 16 13 03:42 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

BlueMoonPics wrote:

Halloween!!! Hell yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFPI9b9N6CQ

LOVE this tune

Jun 16 13 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

zaxpix

New Brunswick, New Jersey, US

My son and my three grand kids left about an hour ago. A two hour hop each way to come see Grandpa. We cooked out and took loads of photos. I let the kids take pics with my camera. The oldest, who just turned seven, is a natural photographer. Great time. Love them dearly.

My Dad died a year and a half ago. We hadn't spoken in nearly 28 years. He died before we ever got a chance to speak again.

I have no time to be bitter.

Time is much to precious to dwell on the negatives and the things over which we have no control. It's much better to look for the good in life.

If you hate the holidays, no matter their origin, it says more about you than any given day of celebration. No one forces you to celebrate. There's no gun to your head.
I would wager that there have been numerous non-holiday days where you've felt the same, if not worse.
Sounds like the real issues are the people in your life and how you've dealt with them, not the holidays.

Happy Father's Day!

Z.

Jun 16 13 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Eclectic Vision

Toledo, Ohio, US

https://www.lolbrary.com/lolpics/903/haters-gonna-hate-unicorn-bike-edition-6903.jpg

Jun 16 13 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

To fluffycakes --

fluffycakes wrote:

Your bf will make up for it tomorrow : )

Jun 16 13 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Eclectic Vision  wrote:
https://www.lolbrary.com/lolpics/903/haters-gonna-hate-unicorn-bike-edition-6903.jpg

This is one of the funniest and most disturbing pictures I've ever seen...

smile

Jun 16 13 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

my dad may have left my mom, my sister and me to find a family that worked better for him but he always came through with child support, took us on fun vacations, bought us clothes and paid for expensive colleges and has continued to be generous when he had really good years financially. maybe there's more i could have wished for (time, advice, wisdom) but really it could have been a lot worse (anyone who has a parent with addiction problems must have really struggled). maybe one thing about getting older is that you can see it more as glass half full. it's not your parents job to live your life for you but hopefully they can at least get you off to a good start so you have a chance of finding your own way.

Justin wrote:
My parents and I didn't have the best relationship

Jun 16 13 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

fluffycakes wrote:

like Kwanza?
hahahaha made up holldiays!

money makers!

Jun 16 13 03:59 pm Link