Photographer

E O

Aaronsburg, Pennsylvania, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110903/18/4e62cf89f02f2.jpg

Sep 10 14 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

And Obama is giving a speech on national security on prime time tonight, eve of 9-11.

Sep 10 14 03:20 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
And Obama is giving a speech on national security on prime time tonight, eve of 9-11.

I'm not missing baseball for that!

Sep 10 14 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

ernst tischler wrote:
I'm not missing baseball for that!

I'll take anything to miss baseball. Including bowling.

Sep 10 14 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Chuckarelei wrote:

I certainly will not miss it.

Sep 10 14 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

Moderator Note!
Please do not turn this into a Soapbox thread.

Sep 10 14 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Magus

El Cajon, California, US

Every time we try to get out they drag us back in! This is horrible.

Sep 10 14 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

God bless America.

Sep 10 14 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Sep 10 14 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Is it really time to forget 9/11?

I look at the changes to the USA since 9/11 - few have been positive.

We're now as far from 9/11 historically as Kennedy's "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech was from the Holocaust and WW2.

When does a country move on and try to achieve rapprochement?

Sep 11 14 03:21 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Virtual Studio wrote:

Toward Terrorists who prey on innocent Civilians?

Never.

'let's roll'

Sep 11 14 04:53 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Virtual Studio wrote:

When will people from Canada realize that 9/11 wasn't "our fault"?

This is a day of remembrance. On 9/12/01 America was united for the first time since WWII in a single cause and purpose. THAT I miss horribly. I know what lead to it but won't comment as SB is gone.

Sep 11 14 06:30 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

For a moment, I wondered whether September 11 would become a national holiday, but then I observed that our holidays were there to commemorate victories, and none of us would think of 9/11 as a victory.

So far, for the past 13 years, 9/11 has been in our national consciousness pretty much every day, and we are still fighting the fight.

Yes, I remember 9/11.

Sep 11 14 06:38 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Virtual Studio wrote:

We're now as far from 9/11 historically as Kennedy's "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech was from the Holocaust and WW2.

Never. Everything is "remembered" and memorialized.

Sep 11 14 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
For a moment, I wondered whether September 11 would become a national holiday, but then I observed that our holidays were there to commemorate victories, and none of us would think of 9/11 as a victory.

So far, for the past 13 years, 9/11 has been in our national consciousness pretty much every day, and we are still fighting the fight.

Yes, I remember 9/11.

It will be looked upon in the same way we do December 7, 1941.

Sep 11 14 07:07 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Virtual Studio wrote:

Kennedy did not meant that as "forget WW 2!".

And by the way: John F. Kennedy did not say "Ich bin ein Berliner" (= I am an inhabitant or citizen of Berlin). At least not in that context.

What John F.Kennedy said in his speech in front of the city hall of Berlin-Schöneberg was:

“Two thousand years ago the proudest boast was ‚Civis Romanus sum‘. [Latin for: I am a citizen of Rome] Today, in the world of freedom, the proudest boast is ‚Ich bin ein Berliner‘.”

Not speaking the german language he delivered his speech in english language. Except this two phrases - one in latin, one in german.

And after finishing his speech he added:

“All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin, and, therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words ‘Ich bin ein Berliner!’ ”

That's definitely much more than just saying "Hey, folks - I'm a Berliner, too!"

Because most Germans in 1963 spoke as much english as Kennedy spoke german they listened to a speech which content they largely did not understand and so this one german language phrase stuck in the "collective memory".

Sep 11 14 07:24 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Virtual Studio wrote:

I hope that there never will be "rapprochement" to terrorists.

Sep 11 14 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TomFRohwer wrote:

Yet the USA has forgiven Irgun and the IRA, to the point of forming firm relations with their successors.

Why the difference?

Sep 11 14 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

Moderator Warning!
Please note, SOAPBOX is closed.

Keep all comments non-political and respectful.

One brigging has occurred already.

Sep 11 14 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Tim Summa

San Antonio, Texas, US

Post hidden on Sep 11, 2014 09:33 am
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Off topic.

Sep 11 14 09:31 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

So that means that US President Obama's speech is no allowed on MM !

Reason: violates rules

Sep 11 14 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Yes, I remember 9/11.

Christopher Hartman wrote:
It will be looked upon in the same way we do December 7, 1941.

Maybe.  That might even be appropriate.  But our holidays (and our days off from work) commemorate victories.  Does anyone get December 7th off?

Sep 11 14 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Maybe.  That might even be appropriate.  But our holidays (and our days off from work) commemorate victories.  Does anyone get December 7th off?

My high school math teacher used to love giving surprise tests in honor of Pearl Harbor day.

Sep 11 14 10:21 am Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

Remember 9-11

y
es... both of them

Sep 11 14 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Damon Strong

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

https://www.clipartsfree.net/svg/man-vomiting-icon_Clipart_svg_File.svg

Sep 11 14 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sep 11 14 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Ok, let's see if I can do this without being brigged...

Nope. Couldn't do it. Self edited my comments away...

Have a nice day!

Sep 11 14 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

This is how I remember it,
Say what you will about Stern,this was about as real as it got
relive it in realtime here
http://uproxx.com/media/2014/09/listen- … ng-of-911/

Sep 11 14 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

tenrocK photo

New York, New York, US

I was there, I had friends working in the towers, and it can't be forgotten.

To give those of you who have been to NYC, and Times Square in particular, an idea of how amazing (in the proper sense) that day was, when I walked from 47th street and 10th Avenue to Grand Central Station passing through TS, I was able to actually count how many people were in the streets: 13, including my GF and I.

The Freedom Tower is almost completed finally, and I am disappointed with it. I thought we would have the balls to rebuild 2 towers just slightly taller, if only to show we would not be intimidated by the terrorists. It is there to stay and I'll have to look at it as long as I live here.

All that said, it is time to move on and LIVE, without forgetting, so I won't be watching the memorials anymore. They foster too much negativity for many reasons, but to each their own.

Sep 12 14 12:03 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

the eeriest part of 9-11 (for me), is that just about every anniversary, the weather out here (in so cal) has been exactly the same as it was that day. i don't know what the weather was like in nyc today, but i will never forget how it mirrored la weather (in nyc) that day. hot, and cloudless.

i have friends who worked in the towers on that day. they all survived. not that it matters. many don't have that same angle.

and by default, if you live your life, you move on. but you must never forget. that's the key. forget all the political bs that follows an event like that. the visceral, tangible memories should never wane. it would be an utter disservice to those who were lost to do so.

i was born in the 60's. i remember my parents (and especially my grandparents) always bringing up 12-7 every year. i understand why.

Sep 12 14 12:14 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

I remembered where I was when it happened. I remember 15th anniversary.

I reflected.

I wondered how Gandhi would have responded.

May be we can use MM as a means of peace building -)

Sep 11 16 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I always feel lucky to live here.

Sep 12 16 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I live in NYC.  It was a really nice as I remember it.  Clear blue skies.  The terrorist pilots could not have had it better.

I was taking the day off so I didn't go in to work that day.  I watched the whole thing on TV.  I was stunned.  I knew I was watching history happen in a big way.

I had a friend that was commuting from New Jersey on the PATH train and saw chaos when he came out of the subway.  He had no clue what was happening so he went to get some breakfast.  I think after he got his breakfast the second plane hit.  He wrote me that debris was coming down and everyone was getting out of there so he headed downtown toward Battery Park where he got the Staten Island Ferry away from Manhattan.  People were getting out of there as fast as they could.  He said he was completely covered in white soot and so was everyone else.  It was surreal.
I have another friend who lost his friend in the towers.  He can't speak about it.  It's too emotional for him.

Fighter jets were flying around overhead.  This is New York.  You don't have fighter jets flying around unless it's an airshow.
The rubble burned for several days afterwards.  There was smoke/dust in the air and there was a weird smell that I couldn't describe at the time.  I don't remember it anymore.

I just get angry when I see pictures and can't watch movies of the burning buildings.

I remember watching TV incredulously as the towers started to collapse. I still can't believe that two of the most massive towers on the planet came down like that.

What pisses me off the most is the innocent lives lost and what they were going through on that day.
No, I will never forget.

Sep 13 16 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Virtual Studio wrote:

I wouldn't say that its "time to forget" but I'm inclined to agree w/ the general sentiment.

The nearest equivalent that I can think of is the Pearl Harbor attack & I know damn sure my grandparents' generation wasn't saying "never forget" in 1956, probably because they actually had something to show for their efforts & sacrifice.

Sep 13 16 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

TomFRohwer wrote:

The West used to say that about the "godless" Communists. The Brits used to say that about the IRA.

Times change, so do sentiments.

Sep 13 16 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Virtual Studio wrote:

And yet the Berlin Wall remained up for 20 more years or so.  I would not call that rapprochement.
We still talk about Pearl Harbor and Dec 7.

It is sad we just want to have such scant memories.

Sep 13 16 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

What national holiday do we have to celebrate victories? I am totally stumped. I hope you don't mean Veterans Day or Memorial Day or July 4 th.

Two of those are to remember those who died for us in war and or for our relatives who passed on, and one is for the day we declared our independence. ( not our victory in the revolutionary war)

Sep 13 16 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Farenell Photography wrote:
The West used to say that about the "godless" Communists. The Brits used to say that about the IRA.

Times change, so do sentiments.

I would merely point out that the IRA terror campaign of bombing and murder were, in large, funded by the inhabitants of Boston and New York via NORAID. The IRA is the only terrorist organisation in the world whose "logo" is the M16.

The Brits have forgiven the USA for this - really isn't it time to move on? More people were killed in the Northern Irish "troubles" than died on 9/11.

Sep 13 16 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

And yet the Berlin Wall remained up for 20 more years or so.  I would not call that rapprochement.
We still talk about Pearl Harbor and Dec 7.

It is sad we just want to have such scant memories.

I'd call the Berlin Airlift a pretty good sign of solidarity. Or dont the actions of those US servicemen matter?

Sep 13 16 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Virtual Studio wrote:

I try to forget, but I can't... it took me years and years until I didn't tear up when seeing the footage.

Every time, even now... when I smell a burning house's fumes... I am being reminded of the unique smell at ground zero, and I am straight back... can't avoid it.

I still have that WTC cough, it's better I think, but it was really bad a few years after.

My birthday is on September 13, in 2001, I was a volunteer and on call with the Long Island College Hospital near the NYPD Command Center on Cadman Plaza... I can't truly detangle my birthday from the events two days earlier.

I want to forget, I am trying to forget... but I just can't... hmm

Sep 14 16 05:41 am Link