Forums > Photography Talk > Easiest and best beach to shoot in the U.S.?

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I am really getting tired of all the paperwork and hassle it takes just to go to a beach and shoot! It's crazy! Permits, licenses, fees, required paid security, etc. etc. etc.

So, best beach location on the continental US (lower 48), where you can just go, do you thing, not bother anyone, and not be bothered by "the man"?

Aug 07 15 06:24 am Link

Photographer

Michael Alestra

MOUNT ROYAL, New Jersey, US

Francisco Castro wrote:
I am really getting tired of all the paperwork and hassle it takes just to go to a beach and shoot! It's crazy! Permits, licenses, fees, required paid security, etc. etc. etc.

So, best beach location on the continental US (lower 48), where you can just go, do you thing, not bother anyone, and not be bothered by "the man"?

what beach do you shoot at? I've never had a problem in NJ or De.

Aug 07 15 06:34 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Michael Alestra wrote:

what beach do you shoot at? I've never had a problem in NJ or De.

I'm in the middle of the country (landlocked in Cincinnati) so when I want a beach shot, I have to travel. At this stage, going to the Atlantic is just slightly less inconvenient than going to the Pacific, and about the same to the gulf. I would gladly trade travel time for a no hassle experience.

Aug 07 15 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Francisco Castro wrote:

I'm in the middle of the country (landlocked in Cincinnati) so when I want a beach shot, I have to travel. At this stage, going to the Atlantic is just slightly less inconvenient than going to the Pacific, and about the same to the gulf. I would gladly trade travel time for a no hassle experience.

Could you just drive to the lake?  It could save you some money and I've done a bunch of shoots at beaches along lake Ontario and they worked out pretty well.  They're certainly not as nice as ones in the Caribbean obviously but it might be a good option B.

Aug 07 15 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Laura Bello wrote:

Could you just drive to the lake?  It could save you some money and I've done a bunch of shoots at beaches along lake Ontario and they worked out pretty well.  They're certainly not as nice as ones in the Caribbean obviously but it might be a good option B.

I went up to the great lakes and the color of the water was just horrible. You could tell it was brownish, even when the sky was blue (hoping for the color of the sky to reflect on the water). The sand also didn't look right. I wouldn't mind a lake, if it was clean and clear.

Aug 07 15 08:20 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Now that I've thought about it, some beaches where the hotels are up against it have less "The Man" interactions, permits, insurance, etc.

Some around South Lake Tahoe we had zero problems with as long we stayed the night.  Some have boat docks, rentals, etc.  Very blue water too.

Seems the cities and counties with beach patrols, lifeguards, and the ones with nearby "film permit agencies or commissions" are the worst (i.e. LA films in Los Angeles who controls a lot of permitting, insurance checks, etc.).  Private beaches with the hotels may be the best bet.

Aug 07 15 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Francisco Castro wrote:

I went up to the great lakes and the color of the water was just horrible. You could tell it was brownish, even when the sky was blue (hoping for the color of the sky to reflect on the water). The sand also didn't look right. I wouldn't mind a lake, if it was clean and clear.

Where did you go?

Aug 07 15 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Francisco Castro wrote:

Since you are in OH, flying down to a nice beach in Florida will be the same cost as flying to Bahamas.  We will have our sailboat in Bahamas in late October.  You can charter our boat with a Captain.  You will have your private beach and Cay stay for a week, or sail to different island as you wish. 

More conchs and lobsters than humans.  smile

Aug 07 15 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Francisco Castro wrote:

I guess I can see that, the beaches here certainly don't look like the ones in VS swim ads but really unless I'm getting paid as much as their team is it just seems like a bit of a waste to spend all that money to go to a nicer beach, I think you can still get decent shots if you find the right place along the lake.  I guess if you have money to spare though why not.

Aug 07 15 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

GRMACK wrote:
Now that I've thought about it, some beaches where the hotels are up against it have less "The Man" interactions, permits, insurance, etc.

Some around South Lake Tahoe we had zero problems with as long we stayed the night.  Some have boat docks, rentals, etc.  Very blue water too.

Seems the cities and counties with beach patrols, lifeguards, and the ones with nearby "film permit agencies or commissions" are the worst (i.e. LA films in Los Angeles who controls a lot of permitting, insurance checks, etc.).  Private beaches with the hotels may be the best bet.

I have never been to Tahoe. Might be a good idea to go at least once.

L.A. was a very bad experience. Each city wanted their own permit, in addition to the county. If you used a park, Parks and Recreation had to get involved too. Beaches, streets, mountains, parks... everywhere you went, paperwork had to be files and cops are quick to question anyone with anything larger than a point and shoot camera.

I like New York City's policy of, "as long as you're not exercising exclusive use of a public area or using public resources, you can shoot without a need for a permit".  That is ideal, really.

Aug 07 15 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Sandy Hook, NJ and Assateague National Seashore in MD/VA are easy access.  Unless you are bring in whole production team, no park rangers will bother you.  In fact you wont see anyone there in the weekday.  Besides, Assateague has plenty of ponies to boot.

Aug 07 15 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Francisco Castro wrote:
I like New York City's policy of, "as long as you're not exercising exclusive use of a public area or using public resources, you can shoot without a need for a permit".  That is ideal, really.

Sorry to bust your bubble but that does not apply to beaches which are under Parks Dept rules that are more restrictive
(I was chased off Coney Island by Parks Dept police for not having permit)

Aug 07 15 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

Sorry to bust your bubble but that does not apply to beaches which are under Parks Dept rules that are more restrictive

A model posing nude there got a ticket.

Aug 07 15 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

I don't know about Coney Island (is that still in NYC, or is that considered outside of the city?), but here is a link to the  NYC website talking about permits.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/permi … _fee.shtml

It says, "Permits are not be required for casual photographers, tourists, credentialed members of the media or other members of the public who do not use vehicles or equipment or assert exclusive use of City property. Standing on a street, walkway of a bridge, sidewalk or other pedestrian passageway while using a hand-held device and not otherwise asserting exclusive use of City property is not an activity that requires a permit.".

They also provide a downloadable "official permit" with the rules that you can show any official if you are questioned.

I understand this post was about beaches, but when I mentioned NYC policy, I was talking about about NYC, not necessarily the beaches of NY. If the city policy applied to beaches around the country, it would be great.

Aug 07 15 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Francisco Castro wrote:
I don't know about Coney Island (is that still in NYC, or is that considered outside of the city?), but here is a link to the  NYC website talking about permits.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/permi … _fee.shtml

It says, "Permits are not be required for casual photographers, tourists, credentialed members of the media or other members of the public who do not use vehicles or equipment or assert exclusive use of City property. Standing on a street, walkway of a bridge, sidewalk or other pedestrian passageway while using a hand-held device and not otherwise asserting exclusive use of City property is not an activity that requires a permit.".

They also provide a downloadable "official permit" with the rules that you can show any official if you are questioned.

I understand this post was about beaches, but when I mentioned NYC policy, I was talking about about NYC, not necessarily the beaches of NY. If the city policy applied to beaches around the country, it would be great.

Yes, Coney is in NYC
Beaches are run by Parks Department, not same policy City property. I pretty sure that is mentioned somewhere on that site if not on that page. Same would apply to Central Park and other parks. Coney used to be much more lax. Depending on time of year, day of the week, time of day you might get by with 'nothing touching the ground' light production but Coney has been crowded this summer. I have shot there many times, but generally avoid the middle of the summer.

Ft. Tilden would be a better shot but after Labor Day. I would not consider either 'best beach in US' by a long shot.

Someone mentioned Sandy Hook. It's much more of a beach than the NYC beaches, but I have heard of strict enforcement of regulations between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

Aug 07 15 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

Connor Photography wrote:
Since you are in OH, flying down to a nice beach in Florida will be the same cost as flying to Bahamas.  We will have our sailboat in Bahamas in late October.  You can charter our boat with a Captain.  You will have your private beach and Cay stay for a week, or sail to different island as you wish. 

More conchs and lobsters than humans.  smile

Exuma?

RBD

Aug 07 15 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

R Bruce Duncan wrote:

Exuma?

RBD

Our favorite port is Marsh Harbor, countless Cays and uninhibited island.  You can call yourself a king or queen for a month or so without any problems.  We can work way down to Turks and Caicos even to DR. We just need to stay away from the cruise ships.  When we run out supplies (beer), we sail across the gulf stream to Lake Worth, FL and restock our supplies again. The cruisers band together so we can have endless supply of U.S. goods and food.   We only need to buy water and fresh veggies.  We can trade our beer with the locals for lobsters and fish if you don't have your luck.  A very simple life indeed.  LOL.

Aug 07 15 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1jade5793fs.jpg
Jade Perkins (Next Model Management) and I ran onto the beach around 2nd Street, late, took 20 pictures, then she ripped her top off and we took 30 more before the sun went down. We had to wait a couple of times while people walked down the beach and got between me and Jade. But, (mostly because of Jade), we got a great shot.

South Beach is great, if you go in the morning the only people there are photographers and models. Everyone else is in bed sobering up. Later in the day (when I go, after I sober up) there are people wandering around, but in general they leave you alone until the model takes her top off then you have to deal with 100 cell phone cameras and as many as five or six drones.

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1zuzana8052fs.jpg
I shot this catalog shot of Zuzana Hunova for Marina Pascale Swimwear on the life guard stand around 7 PM after the guards had left

The life guards get a bit possessive of the life guard stands themselves, but sometime after 5 PM they have left to do the kind of things you do so you have to sober up in the morning. Now, all you have to work with is sand and water, there are no trees, no rocks, nada. But no one bugs you unless you bring a cast of thousands. I have never been asked about anything, other than to keep my own clothes on (I am in fairness, more than a bit "lumpy"). If you do go down to the far end of South Beach to South Pointe, there are some rocks, but it's a walk and I'm lazy.

Alternatively, you can go over to Virginia Key, which is about five miles away by car. There are beaches there that also have sand and water, but if you look, you can find an occasional tree if they haven't removed it yet. And rocks, not big ones, but rocks. You have to pay $2 to cross over the Rickenbacher Causeway, and $6 to enter the beach areas that I like to go to on Virginia Key (unless you go after 5:30PM when they close shop. Guess when I go?) The beach areas close at 7 PM when they do try to get you to move on, so you (or rather the very cheap me) have a short shoot, but it's nice particularly if you catch a low tide.

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1marion7307fs.jpg
Marion Vijar on Virginia Key in front of the one tree that is available where I like to shoot. And at low tide!

Forget the far better known Key Biscayne (you have to cross Virginia Key to get to Key Biscayne, I have been hassled there too many times to want to risk going back. Famously when approached by a beach marshal, I told him I was from Detroit and was only there to take pictures of my wife. Now, this might have worked if my "wife" had been over, say, 18. It did not go well, and I barely escaped with my camera bag.

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1daria2606fs.jpg
Daria Dvurechenskaya in front of the rocks at Virginia Key (hint, they are only 3 feet high!) This became a two page editorial spread in the Swim Journal issue for 2015 Swim Week (in July, 2014).

I have shot here on South Beach for over 15 years, done about all you can do from glamour to catalog, and even an occasional editorial shoot. In my experience people actually help when they can, and stay out of your way when they can't. I have always been aware that I'm the intruder on a public beach everyone is there to enjoy, but people seem generally excited to see something going on that is one of the reasons people come to South Beach.

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1tatiana8300fs.jpg
Tatiana Likhina (Mega Model Management) on Virginia Key. It really doesn't get more special than working with Tatiana. (Hey, lots of sand and water, but there are only a few rocks, get over it!)

I do get sick of only sand and water,but then one of the amazing people I have had the opportunity to work with shows up, and I'm thrilled silly that I am in South Beach. That said, I will be paddling a surf board to Cuba as soon as we can go!

John
--
John L. Fisher
700 Euclid Avenue, Suite 110
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Aug 07 15 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Willie Brown Photos

Anderson, South Carolina, US

Botany Bay in Charleston SC was friggen amazing for me!  Not many people on the beach at all(well, on a Sunday anyway).  Beautiful location and all that jazz.

Shot this photo there.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150806/17/55c3fdcc90f8e.jpg

But yeah, def a nice spot to shoot at, and don't have to worry about any permits or any of that stuff.

And most importantly, it's free.  wink

Aug 07 15 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

NJ.  In fact Cape May, New Jersey and Cape May point where the light house and old bunker are.

Aug 08 15 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Francisco Castro wrote:

Just curious: What is your setup? Are we talking just you and a model? Or do you bring a full production crew (assistants, makeup/hair, stylists, etc) including lights, scrims, reflectors, props, etc?

If you are bringing a full crew, it sounds like you might have the budget to shoot on a private beach for whatever they charge you to rent it for the day. Then there is no one to hassle you (except maybe the property owner).

Aug 08 15 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

I hardly have issues here in the Santa Barbara area for beach shoots because most are secluded beach bluff locations and are not crowded. State beaches you may have problems with not only crowds but also with rangers trying to figure out what you're doing.
As long as you keep it low key, you should have no problems where ever you go... a full team of assistants and loads of gear will attract attention and raise flags to authorities ready to check your credentials.

Aug 08 15 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Francisco Castro wrote:

Look at  ---
    Michigan City and area.
              http://michigancityparks.com/

Indiana Dunes State Park
http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/2980.htm

also Google -->    indiana dunes national lakeshore         
            (permit needed in NPS areas for anything that looks commercial)

http://www.nps.gov/indu/learn/photosmul … flickr.htm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/indianadu … 899275473/

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/port … dc332.html

Aug 08 15 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

John Fisher wrote:
I do get sick of only sand and water,but then one of the amazing people I have had the opportunity to work with shows up, and I'm thrilled silly that I am in South Beach. That said, I will be paddling a surf board to Cuba as soon as we can go!

John

Thank you very much!! Sounds like my next trip is to South Beach!

Aug 08 15 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Steinberg Photo wrote:
Just curious: What is your setup? Are we talking just you and a model? Or do you bring a full production crew (assistants, makeup/hair, stylists, etc) including lights, scrims, reflectors, props, etc?

If you are bringing a full crew, it sounds like you might have the budget to shoot on a private beach for whatever they charge you to rent it for the day. Then there is no one to hassle you (except maybe the property owner).

My setup will be what it needs to be. It could be just me, the camera, and the model. It could be more with the MUA and an assistant to help with the lighting.

Taking photos with a model who is an adult is not an illegal act. It's not even remotely dangerous, posing no threat to anyone. Why should we have to skulk around like drug dealers trying to peddle crack? We are not taking anything away from the beach other than images. The sun will set whether or not someone is there to photograph it; just as the waves will crash on the rocks regardless of the presence of a model. Unless we litter, there is ZERO impact on the environment. Thousands of people go to the beach to enjoy the outdoors. Why should 5 people be barred just because they are there to lend their skills to take a great photograph?

Aug 08 15 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

I lived in Cali but moved back a few months ago to NJ.  In the Santa Monica area it's almost impossible to do a shoot without a permit unless you are just using your camera and just your camera only.  In Malibu there are some areas that you can maybe get away with stuff but it depends on what season it is.  I went during the winter when they were "closed" and I was using just my camera again and about an hour in a cop pulled up nearby and watched us for like 10 minutes but then took off.  I hated the feeling of not being able to do anything without being watched.  Had a taken a reflector out I'm sure I would've run into problems like I did at a park in Los Angeles.  As soon as that came out I got kicked out basically.

As a result I said screw it and moved back to NJ.  I am now near NYC and if I want to go to a beach I can drive to Sandy Hook in NJ where no one bothers me.  I have gone there with a tripod, reflector, and flashes with gels and umbrellas and no one has said a word.  Been there multiple times this summer and nothing.  I have also walked around NYC and set up shots with a tripod and reflector and so far no one has bothered me.  I have done it in Brooklyn in the Dumbo area and in Manhattan in the East Village a block from St. Marks.  I have also shot at multiple parks in NJ and shot a nude at a park in New Paltz and still nothing.  I feel like I have so many choices here it's nuts.  The only issue is the weather.  Once it gets really cold it's gonna have to be studio only for the most part.

Aug 08 15 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Steinberg Photo wrote:

Francisco Castro wrote:
My setup will be what it needs to be. It could be just me, the camera, and the model. It could be more with the MUA and an assistant to help with the lighting.

You never did answer the question. Doing so might illuminate the rest of us in why you're having such a difficulty using the locations you're needing. If we knew said setup, we might be able to point out a countermeasure that would attract less attention from the authorities in question.

Francisco Castro wrote:
Taking photos with a model who is an adult is not an illegal act. It's not even remotely dangerous, posing no threat to anyone. Why should we have to skulk around like drug dealers trying to peddle crack? We are not taking anything away from the beach other than images. The sun will set whether or not someone is there to photograph it; just as the waves will crash on the rocks regardless of the presence of a model. Unless we litter, there is ZERO impact on the environment. Thousands of people go to the beach to enjoy the outdoors. Why should 5 people be barred just because they are there to lend their skills to take a great photograph?

You're absolutely right that the scene will be there regardless. However the applicable people don't know why YOU are there, nor would they know what kind of impact you're going to have, nor what kind of money you're making off of using the site.

You might be a good, responsible citizen but other people are not. From where they're coming from, I think that's probably the worry.

Aug 08 15 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
You never did answer the question. Doing so might illuminate the rest of us in why you're having such a difficulty using the locations you're needing. If we knew said setup, we might be able to point out a countermeasure that would attract less attention from the authorities in question.

I did answer it. The crew I will have will depend on the job I need to do. I'm not going to say it's only going to be me and a model, when there might be other people there on some projects. But then, there might be a project when it is exactly that; just me and the model with no extra gear beyond that of a camera and a speedlight. It will be what it needs to be, no more, no less.

BTW-- I was in Los Angeles, just me and 1 model. We were walking (not shooting yet), camera was around my neck, when the beach patrol asked me if I had a permit for photography. No extra people, no tripods, reflectors, or light stands. Just the camera was enough for them to ask me for a permit.

Farenell Photography wrote:
You're absolutely right that the scene will be there regardless. However the applicable people don't know why YOU are there, nor would they know what kind of impact you're going to have, nor what kind of money you're making off of using the site.

I would think that the presence of a camera, a person posing in front of a camera, and maybe a light or two would let anyone know why we are there. When people are laying on the beach, do people wonder what they're doing? How about those guys playing frisbee? Doesn't the frisbee give a clue as to what they're doing? Do they need permits for the frisbee just in case in gets away from them and hits/hurts someone? That sounds more dangerous than me taking a photo.

Now, you mention money; they do not know what kind of money I am making. What does it matter how much money I make taking photos on a public beach? I am not using any resources that they pay for. There is no more cost to them than if we were other people who went out to the beach for a picnic.

Aug 08 15 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Francisco Castro wrote:

I did answer it. The crew I will have will depend on the job I need to do. I'm not going to say it's only going to be me and a model, when there might be other people there on some projects. But then, there might be a project when it is exactly that; just me and the model with no extra gear beyond that of a camera and a speedlight. It will be what it needs to be, no more, no less.

BTW-- I was in Los Angeles, just me and 1 model. We were walking (not shooting yet), camera was around my neck, when the beach patrol asked me if I had a permit for photography. No extra people, no tripods, reflectors, or light stands. Just the camera was enough for them to ask me for a permit.

I would think that the presence of a camera, a person posing in front of a camera, and maybe a light or two would let anyone know why we are there. When people are laying on the beach, do people wonder what they're doing? How about those guys playing frisbee? Doesn't the frisbee give a clue as to what they're doing? Do they need permits for the frisbee just in case in gets away from them and hits/hurts someone? That sounds more dangerous than me taking a photo.

Now, you mention money; they do not know what kind of money I am making. What does it matter how much money I make taking photos on a public beach? I am not using any resources that they pay for. There is no more cost to them than if we were other people who went out to the beach for a picnic.

LA STARSHOOTER WROTE: Los Angeles is tough and it must be very tough for visitors trying to work with a model on a beach. The desert is also expensive--that is the places that are where everyone wants to have a great backdrop. You also have to put them on your insurance. That said I really haven' run afoul when I've wanted to do something with reflectors and lights, except for one area downtown, a bridge where on Sunday you're allowed to shoot without a permit. There are so many entities and one or two will go beyond their area of responsibility.

Aug 09 15 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Deida

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

RE: Coney Island........anyone live in Seagate ?

Private beach big_smile

http://seagatebeachclub.com/contact

Aug 09 15 06:50 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Sandy Hook, NJ and Assateague National Seashore in MD/VA are easy access.  Unless you are bring in whole production team, no park rangers will bother you.  In fact you wont see anyone there in the weekday.  Besides, Assateague has plenty of ponies to boot.

+1

I have never had a problem at Sandy Hook.  It has been a while since I have been to Assateague, but the beach is miles long and you can get away from everybody.  Take massive amounts of bug spray.  Horse flies and green heads are ... everywhere.

Sandy Hook has a legal nude beach.  (Alcohol is also legal there.)  Go after Labor Day to avoid the crowds.  There are wildlife protection areas on the beach, which limit where on the beach you can go, but those are loosened after labor day.  The water will not be a warm blue but you can expect blue.  Other advantages include the New York sky line across the bay, the old Coast Guard station with buildings, a lighthouse and weaponry.  There are also some old artillery pieces just off the beach. (No nudity permitted there).  There are several beach areas on Sandy Hook.  Some have really short distances from the parking to the surf.  Others (Gunnison- the nude beach) is a long walk.  The beach is very wide. 

I will qualify that I have never shot with a crew, light stands or other fussy things at Sandy Hook.  Just natural light.  I wouldn't piss the rangers off.  I have seen them arrest naked people.  But they just walked by me while I was shooting.

Sandy Hook is a National Gateway and administered by the Park Service.

I have also shot at the Barnegate Light Park without a problem.

Most Jersey beaches require beach tags (beach tax) if you are on the beach during peak hours and in season.  Stay off the dunes.  Stay away from the worst of the "Sandy" damaged towns.  Tourist seem to be treated as intruders there.

At Sandy Hook and other places, I place my camera gear in a styrofoam cooler when it is not in use.  It protects it and makes me less obvious.  Just me and my daughter smile out on the beach.

Aug 09 15 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
+1

I have never had a problem at Sandy Hook.
  It has been a while since I have been to Assateague, but the beach is miles long and you can get away from everybody.  Take massive amounts of bug spray.  Horse flies and green heads are ... everywhere.

Sandy Hook has a legal nude beach.  (Alcohol is also legal there.)  Go after Labor Day to avoid the crowds.  There are wildlife protection areas on the beach, which limit where on the beach you can go, but those are loosened after labor day.  The water will not be a warm blue but you can expect blue.  Other advantages include the New York sky line across the bay, the old Coast Guard station with buildings, a lighthouse and weaponry.  There are also some old artillery pieces just off the beach. (No nudity permitted there).  There are several beach areas on Sandy Hook.  Some have really short distances from the parking to the surf.  Others (Gunnison- the nude beach) is a long walk.  The beach is very wide. 

I will qualify that I have never shot with a crew, light stands or other fussy things at Sandy Hook.  Just natural light.  I wouldn't piss the rangers off.  I have seen them arrest naked people.  But they just walked by me while I was shooting.

Sandy Hook is a National Gateway and administered by the Park Service.

I have also shot at the Barnegate Light Park without a problem.

Most Jersey beaches require beach tags (beach tax) if you are on the beach during peak hours and in season.  Stay off the dunes.  Stay away from the worst of the "Sandy" damaged towns.  Tourist seem to be treated as intruders there.

At Sandy Hook and other places, I place my camera gear in a styrofoam cooler when it is not in use.  It protects it and makes me less obvious.  Just me and my daughter smile out on the beach.

Like you, many members here offer lot of good solution for the OP.  But by re-reading the OP's post and his answers, it is evident that OP was not to seek solutions but about his rant to today's society treating photographers.  In reality, I am not sure how much the OP has spent on permits, licenses, fees, required paid security, etc. etc. etc..  Yes, things are a bit difference compared to the old days say before 9/11, but it hardly affects my shooting style in public scene.  If you want to compare to the photographers in UK, they have a lot worse condition than us.   I have never had any problems with any law enforcers.  When I am out to do a shoot, my objective is get the images I am seeking with the model.  I don't care much about my legal rights and who is the boss.  If this really bothers me, I will take it up in a proper channel and certainly not in front of the government employees battling the pissing contest.  There are so many placed to shoot. 

If it needs to be, it only take a few seconds to get the shot I want.  Gorilla shooting style comes handy.   Sensible, focused, less combatant often take home the trophy.  We pick our own poisons, and no body is to blame.  LOL.

Aug 10 15 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Like you, many members here offer lot of good solution for the OP.  But by re-reading the OP's post and his answers, it is evident that OP was not to seek solutions but about his rant to today's society treating photographers.  In reality, I am not sure how much the OP has spent on permits, licenses, fees, required paid security, etc. etc. etc..

Actually if you read one of my responses, I thanked a person who suggested South Beach in Miami, and have started making plans to shoot there. I really was looking for advice, and yes, I have spent a decent amount of money and effort securing all the requirements made by different locations and jurisdictions.

So, yes, I was seeking a solution, and even though there was some frustration evident in my posts, it wasn't because I haven't had any experience with the requirements. It is BECAUSE I have experienced the frustration of having to deal with officious bureaucratic nonsense.

Aug 11 15 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Sergio Diaz

Garden City, New York, US

Haven't had any problems in any NY beaches, though I usually shoot weekdays and stay away from crowds.

https://youtu.be/dzK9xA03Z3M

Cheers!

- Sergio

Aug 11 15 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Nice video and BWM, but I would reshoot with another model.  tongue

Aug 11 15 12:19 pm Link