login info join!
Forums > Critique > Your Worst image. Ask and I'll tell you why. Search   Reply
first2425262728293031last
Photographer
Norman Ding
Posts: 56
New York, New York, US


I would love to know. Efforts appreciated!
Nov 10 12 10:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Nettles
Posts: 31
Charleston, South Carolina, US


Help smile
Nov 11 12 12:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Amul La La
Posts: 805
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom


Nov 12 12 06:12 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Amul La La
Posts: 805
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom


Hi Ikonas,


You're critique seems true and honest, most people's don't, they just seem horrible, and seems like they just want to crap on people.


Can I have critique?,


I've taking pictures for just over a year, it's hobby, I do enjoy it, I haven't been able to attend college or university due to personal circumstances.


So learning is slow in a sense + I live in a very isolated area.


Thank you
Nov 12 12 06:15 am  Link  Quote 
Model
PeachCherryBlossom
Posts: 13
Portland, Oregon, US


I would love your criticism! smile
Nov 12 12 07:11 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Evalastindayo
Posts: 2
Rome, Lazio, Italy


Best piece of advise for upcoming models like me! Find these piece very important!! Check mi out!
Nov 12 12 07:28 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Anne_C
Posts: 728
Bellingham, Washington, US


I really need some help deciding what to get rid of.  Trying to make room for new photos.  Critique would be appreciated!  Thank you.
Nov 12 12 07:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 662
Boston, Massachusetts, US


LittleWhiteRabbit Photo wrote:
You are really a gracious and insightful critic - I enjoyed reading this thread.

If you would look at my page I could use feedback - most of these are from group shoots where I had to do my best in a short timeframe.  I need to transition to working w/models on my own but these are at least a start...

Thanks! Debra

Thanks for stopping by Debra. I appreciate your kind words. Even though you just seem to be starting out and have joined MM relatively recently, your port is  in good shape, showing talent beyond the beginner level. You are in compliance of the guidelines for port building spelled out on page 1 of this forum  - yay smile No variants, no collages, no contrived poses, so I dont see an obvious image that drags your port down.

If I were to delete any image at all, I would propose this one. It is a railroad scene which is usually a detriment - Rule [5], cliche theme. Even worse, the lovely model projects an expression of boredom which is reinforced by her passive pose.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120822/20/50359d91af257_m.jpg

Even though I dislike railraod images as just mentioned, the image below is actually quite captivating due to the light and texture and is one of my favorites.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120822/19/5035996207e8e_m.jpg

Another image that stands out is this headshot taken from a perfect angle to project her sensuous profile and lovely hairdo.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120822/19/50359bfea739c_m.jpg

Keep up the good work and have fun!

Nov 12 12 01:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Brightonn
Posts: 234
New Orleans, Louisiana, US


I'm game!
Nov 12 12 01:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
LittleWhiteRabbit Photo
Posts: 134
Columbus, Ohio, US


ikonas wrote:

Thanks for stopping by Debra. I appreciate your kind words. Even though you just seem to be starting out and have joined MM relatively recently, your port is  in good shape, showing talent beyond the beginner level. You are in compliance of the guidelines for port building spelled out on page 1 of this forum  - yay smile No variants, no collages, no contrived poses, so I dont see an obvious image that drags your port down.

If I were to delete any image at all, I would propose this one. It is a railroad scene which is usually a detriment - Rule [5], cliche theme. Even worse, the lovely model projects an expression of boredom which is reinforced by her passive pose.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120822/20/50359d91af257_m.jpg

Even though I dislike railraod images as just mentioned, the image below is actually quite captivating due to the light and texture and is one of my favorites.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120822/19/5035996207e8e_m.jpg

Another image that stands out is this headshot taken from a perfect angle to project her sensuous profile and lovely hairdo.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120822/19/50359bfea739c_m.jpg

Keep up the good work and have fun!

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this - I really appreciate the feedback!

Nov 13 12 07:30 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 662
Boston, Massachusetts, US


A M U L wrote:
Hi Ikonas,


You're critique seems true and honest, most people's don't, they just seem horrible, and seems like they just want to crap on people.


Can I have critique?,


I've taking pictures for just over a year, it's hobby, I do enjoy it, I haven't been able to attend college or university due to personal circumstances.


So learning is slow in a sense + I live in a very isolated area.


Thank you

Hello and thanks for the thoughtful introduction.
Don’t feel bad for not attending formal photography education. Neither have I (I hold a degree in an unrelated field), so my best sources of learning are browsing other MM profiles and DeviantArt.com, visiting art museums, reading philosophy and even poetry which provide me with inspiration.

Even with your "informal" education you have managed to put together a decent portfolio. Your technique is good and your images are unique. The only image I would propose deleting is this one. Nothing wrong with it, but the variant image is a bit stronger - Rule [1] in my guidelines. Variant images distract the viewer and sap comments from the stronger image.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121102/09/5093f050a6df7_m.jpg


I think this image shows you have great creative instincts.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121109/06/509d1740ae75a_m.jpg

This B&W is one of my favorites for its superb light and contrast, and the theme has soul. Great job.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120825/10/503906a5b7785_m.jpg

Nov 13 12 01:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 662
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Hey Folks, please hold your questions for a day or two to give me chance to catch my breath. Apologies to those whom I may have skipped - please send me a private message.
Nov 13 12 03:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Camera Obscura Photogra
Posts: 12
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


I would love to hear your critique on my weakest photo.  I think I would benefit greatly from your input!  Thanks!
Nov 13 12 03:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Elisabeth-Victoria
Posts: 15
Denver, Colorado, US


I'd like to know
Nov 13 12 04:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 662
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Norman Ding wrote:
I would love to know. Efforts appreciated!

Greetings Norman ! There is a very simple way to elevate your port by deleting just two images below. The model is lovely, the light is good, so how do these two images drag your port down? For one, they are variants, but  even more importantly the room is cluttered with unrelated junk. Even the legs of another photographer are showing. You cannot be sloppy. You must always pay great attention to delail. During the shoot you ought to carefully look and remove any junk lying around, arrange furniture, etc. During editing, pay a lot of thought how to crop an image so that only the essential stuff is visible. A tighter crop might save one of these images.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120811/15/5026d82bad4ce_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120811/15/5026d818812c9_m.jpg

You should only keep the image of the pooltable girl sitting down, its pretty good.

Without those two sloppy images, your port is captivating. Here is a super captivating image for its light and composition
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120610/09/4fd4c71da5352_m.jpg

The photo of this adorable model has a great editorial feel
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120610/09/4fd4c653a60ee_m.jpg

Nov 13 12 08:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 662
Boston, Massachusetts, US


PeachCherryBlossom wrote:
I would love your criticism! smile

Hello Peach, thanks for stopping by. Your port captures your alluring sensuality quite well. Non of your images go against the guidelines posted on page 1 of this forum. I would almost say keep all the images but if you push me, I will recommend deleting this one as railroad themes are cliches, plus your legs are not portrayed in the most flattering way.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120531/04/4fc7595a7b05a_m.jpg

You've got some great images, including this one. Love your wardrobe and your beautiful face is shown from a great angle
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121111/15/50a03a0626fbf_m.jpg

The light here is superb
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121004/10/506dc73ea6fb6_m.jpg

Nov 13 12 08:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 662
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Evalastindayo wrote:
Best piece of advise for upcoming models like me! Find these piece very important!! Check mi out!

Hello Evala, you have a nice mixture of artistic, sports and commercial tearsheet stuff posted.

I disapprove of smoking and these kind of images are not considered cool in the 21st century, so I propose deleting it.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121024/08/508805e8ca6a3_m.jpg

The photography is not very good here, but if you are a performer, then putting a caption saying so, such as "performing at caffe Paradiso" might save this image
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110927/06/4e81d1abb9bdb_m.jpg

This one is a great image, portraying a handsome man in an artistic way
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110828/12/4e5a9e15ac153_m.jpg

Nov 13 12 08:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Evalastindayo
Posts: 2
Rome, Lazio, Italy


Thank you so much!
Nice piece!!
Nov 14 12 05:50 am  Link  Quote 
Model
PeachCherryBlossom
Posts: 13
Portland, Oregon, US


Thank you so much! I took your advice and added a new one smile I REALLY appreciate it!!
Amanda
Nov 14 12 05:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Goat Farm Project
Posts: 339
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Hit me please.
Nov 14 12 06:03 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ashley Wedman
Posts: 1
HUNTINGDON VALLEY, Pennsylvania, US


I'd like to know
Nov 14 12 10:21 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Norman Ding
Posts: 56
New York, New York, US


ikonas wrote:

Greetings Norman ! There is a very simple way to elevate your port by deleting just two images below. The model is lovely, the light is good, so how do these two images drag your port down? For one, they are variants, but  even more importantly the room is cluttered with unrelated junk. Even the legs of another photographer are showing. You cannot be sloppy. You must always pay great attention to delail. During the shoot you ought to carefully look and remove any junk lying around, arrange furniture, etc. During editing, pay a lot of thought how to crop an image so that only the essential stuff is visible. A tighter crop might save one of these images.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120811/15/5026d82bad4ce_m.jpg



http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120811/15/5026d818812c9_m.jpg

You should only keep the image of the pooltable girl sitting down, its pretty good.

Without those two sloppy images, your port is captivating. Here is a super captivating image for its light and composition
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120610/09/4fd4c71da5352_m.jpg

The photo of this adorable model has a great editorial feel
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120610/09/4fd4c653a60ee_m.jpg

Thank you so much for the professional critique! And for the encouraging compliment! I really apperciate the efforts you made to help people!

Nov 14 12 04:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JezeBelle Bordeaux
Posts: 20
Raleigh, North Carolina, US


I'd like to know your opinion if you have the time. smile
Nov 14 12 05:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Stephanie Yakir
Posts: 81
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US


I'd love to hear what you have to say!
Nov 14 12 06:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ICON Photography
Posts: 164
Houston, Texas, US


Do tell... smile
-SAM
Nov 14 12 06:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ARTAPERTURA
Posts: 44
Miami, Florida, US


ikonas wrote:
As they say, your port is as good as your worst image. Let me help you get rid of it. This is a gentle, constructive criticism that will highlight your strong points as well.

LESS IS MORE - One of the easiest way to bring your portfolio to the next level is to delete your weaker images. Consider your portfolio your art gallery where you want to  show only your very best work. Post only your star images. Don’t let your viewer play treasure hunt by having to sort through volumes of marginal images to find your gems.

Prior to responding, we will carefully review your port AND your profile, as our intent is to provide thoughtful, constructive criticism. Your port will be evaluated based on the following consideration:

[1] AVOID VARIANT IMAGES
Posting multiple similar images from the same scene is the number one sin in poorly constructed ports. Decide which one you like and stick to it.  Don't let the viewer chose for you because he will judge you by the worst one.

[2] DELETE IMAGES WITH POOR POSE OR EXPRESSION
Too many images are ruined by uninteresting expression or contrived pose.
   ♦ Get rid of images where you are just smiling with no unique concept behind
   ♦ Delete poses where it looks obvious it is a contrived pose

[3] AVOID COLLAGES AND COMPOSITES
These are usually detriment to your port for couple of reasons. Like your port, your collage will be judged by its worst image, not by its best. Furthermore, the thumbnail of the composite does not show enough detail to invite a visitor in. An exception in using collage would be for a retouch artist or MUA to show before and after effect.

[4] LISTEN TO YOUR AUDIENCE
Get rid of images that have been sitting there for months having received only one or two comments. Actually it is neither the number of comments nor the number of image views that counts. Rather, what really matters is what I call  "view-to-comment ratio". For example if you got 10 comments but it was viewed over 1,000 times this is a 100 to 1 ratio, a hint the image is marginal. The lower the ratio, the better is the image. A score below 20 I consider quite good.

[5] AVOID CLICHE THEMES
   ♦ Railroad scenes, Images with Guitar, Car, or Caution tape is a sign that the photographer is not an original thinker
   ♦ Blood, gory stuff are negative themes. You want a viewer to walk away with a good feeling not disgust
   ♦ Overcrowding your port with large boobs hints that you have a one-track mind
   ♦ Open crotch photos. They definitely devalue your port

[6] AVOID POSTING TOO MANY IMAGES OF THE SAME MODEL
It is YOUR port, not your model's. Show some diversity. If you are an inexperienced photographer just starting out it may be a challenge to find models willing to work on TFCD basis. Invest in your hobby and hire an experienced model or two. 

[7] MALE MODELS AVOID
   ♦ Baring your chest. Unless you have an amazing physique, you have no chance of competing against the multitude of hulks lurking on MM
   ♦ Underwear shots, all male genital shots

Very subjective! But to be noted.

Nov 14 12 07:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Daniel Pierce
Posts: 629
Burbank, California, US


Could use the raw honest critique. Nail me.
Nov 14 12 07:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GSG Photography Studio
Posts: 173
Portland, Oregon, US


I would love to hear your thoughts, thanks
Nov 14 12 08:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Nate Miller
Posts: 21
Warrensburg, Missouri, US


Please let me know what you think.
Nov 14 12 10:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Anamaly
Posts: 559
Prague, Prague, Czech Republic


I could use some serious help getting rid of a few pictures
Nov 15 12 03:12 am  Link  Quote 
Model
000---000
Posts: 706
Alberta, Alabama, US


I'd like some help sorting pictures out (:
Nov 15 12 03:14 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Cat Le Chappelle
Posts: 13
Spearfish, South Dakota, US


I would love to know.
Nov 15 12 05:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 662
Boston, Massachusetts, US


ANSTREBEN Merglobe wrote:

Very subjective! But to be noted.

Of course my guidelines are subjective, and so is art. Note that hundredths of individuals voluntarily submitted their port for my review, thus implicitly accepting my clearly posted rules.

Having said that, would you like to submit your port for review?

Nov 15 12 11:14 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ARTAPERTURA
Posts: 44
Miami, Florida, US


ikonas wrote:

Of course my guidelines are subjective, and so is art. Note that hundredths of individuals voluntarily submitted their port for my review, thus implicitly accepting my clearly posted rules.

Having said that, would you like to submit your port for review?

Of course! I'm interested.

Nov 15 12 11:21 am  Link  Quote 
Model
_eMMe_
Posts: 842
Florence, Toscana, Italy


I'll be glad to receive some critique smile

I like your portfolio and the advice you give.

I love a lot this shot, very sexy and the compositione is great!
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22579249

This one is the worth in my opinion: I don't like the models, their pose and expressions.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/24010087
Nov 15 12 02:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 662
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Folks, please hold off your inquiries to give me a chance to catch my breath.
In the meanwhile check out the guidelines spelled out on page 1 of this forum, clean up your port accordingly, paying particular attention to Rule [1].
Nov 15 12 03:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sara Snow
Posts: 22
Los Angeles, California, US


what's mine?
Nov 15 12 06:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ikonas Boston
Posts: 662
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I am taking a short break, but I will be back. Thanks to all for participating in this forum.
Nov 22 12 07:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Brandon Nixon
Posts: 40
Los Angeles, California, US


I too would like to step forward for a lashing smile

Enjoy your holidays as well!
Nov 22 12 11:08 am  Link  Quote 
Model
_eMMe_
Posts: 842
Florence, Toscana, Italy


ikonas wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I am taking a short break, but I will be back. Thanks to all for participating in this forum.

Have a nice Thanksgiving day.

Waiting for your caming back smile

Nov 22 12 11:33 am  Link  Quote 
first2425262728293031last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers