login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Reasons for Not Responding- A Model's Perspective Search   Reply
first678910last
Model
MelissaAnn
Posts: 3,862
Seattle, Washington, US


Miser Photography wrote:
Not one person networking on this site is too busy to simply reply with a "not interested because ...."

That's what photographers who don't get responded to like to think. Unfortunately, that is not reality.

Miser Photography wrote:
If the photographer takes the time to look at your portfolio, read your profile and decide to contact you for possible work, you should at least take the time to be courteous enough to reply.

Or *they* should take the time to swallow the reality that not everyone is going to respond to them.

Miser Photography wrote:
Look at it this way......if you see a photographers work you like a lot and you know can help your portfolio; you contact them and they don't reply to you....how would you feel?

I couldn't care less.  There are hundreds of thousands of other good photographers for me to contact.  I realize it's not personal, and move on.

Miser Photography wrote:
Treat others as you wish to be treated. Plain and simple

I do, thank you.  You may want to remember that not everyone likes being treated the same way.

Jan 09 13 07:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,879
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Having seen some of the awesome messages that some photographers send in response to polite rejections, I don't blame llamas who choose to let no response be their response.  My favorite recent one that I heard about was, "Close your profile, whore!"

lol

Obviously, we all have different approaches to this, but I think that my stance of not minding no response is the best one, simply because, if this thread is anything to go by, I'm a lot happier and less upset as a result.  Is something like this really worth being angry about? 

Here's what I do:

Step 1:  Send message inquiring about shoot.

Step 2:  Promptly forget about it.

That way, if I get a response accepting, great!  If I don't, I don't remember it anyway, so I'm not losing any sleep over it.  If I get a response declining, great!  Thanks for taking the time to reply.

It's all good.
Jan 09 13 08:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KA Style
Posts: 1,583
Syracuse, New York, US


Just give them some cheese to go with that whine! hahahahahaha
Jan 09 13 08:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
4 R D
Posts: 1,012
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico


The problem with whether not answering is rude or not is that it depends greatly of how the original message is written and how it commands that potential response. Certain cultural differences about manners are also a factor.

Who acts rudely first? Sometimes it the one who starts communication and sometimes it is the one who stops it without a proper resolution. When one of the parties is not interested in shooting, a conflict is born and it needs to be resolved somehow whether we like it or not. My impression is that female models tend to be avoidant while male photographers tend to be confrontative. I think both attitudes towards the issue only escalate the conflict.

If more models responded with a "Thank you, but I am not interested in this project" and more photographers responded to that with a "Thanks for your response, good luck", we would have less threads like this one and we would have more shoots actually happening.

Too bad that for some people this is a way to arm-wrestle the ego.
Jan 09 13 08:39 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wayne M Photography
Posts: 145
Virginia Beach, Virginia, US


To the OP, thank you for listing the reasons that you will not respond to requests to shoot from a photographer. It was very informative and enlightening. Also thank you to the other models that have chimed in. To everyone else thank you because this has been a very interesting thread to read through; what can I say I was bored. Now for my .03 cents...
I personally feel that it is rude not to reply even with a simple "Thank you but no". But that's my opinion. Do I get "Butt Hurt" (really like that term) when I don't get a reply? No, I don't. Why because I'm "Male"...I've been getting rejected and ignored for a long time. I have been married and I have children. Those with both know that we males, especially those with daughters, will be ignored no matter how much we rant, stomp and cry smile.
Seriously though, I refuse to allow a no response to upset me or ruin my day. I have even gone as far as to go with the two strike rule. I post my initial interest in working with said model. I try to keep it brief and simple. I end that initial post with "Please take a moment to view my portfolio and let me know if you are interested in working with me." With that being my last line of text (besides saying thank you and have a good day), if I don't get a response then I presume that said model does not want to work with me. I then go back about a week later and if the model has read my request (MM lets you know when a message has been read) and I have not received a response, I sent a brief, thank you for viewing my port and good luck in your endeavors.
I have never thought about blocking said models as other photographers have stated that they do, I always kept the mindset that maybe at this time I'm not up to what the model is looking for but mayhaps in the future. But then that's just me being optomistic.
Well thank you for reading smile.
Have a good day.
Jan 09 13 08:46 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Miser Phototgraphy
Posts: 101
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


MelissaAnn  wrote:

That's what photographers who don't get responded to like to think. Unfortunately, that is not reality.


Or *they* should take the time to swallow the reality that not everyone is going to respond to them.


[/b]I couldn't care less.  There are hundreds of thousands of other good photographers for me to contact.  I realize it's not personal, and move on.


I do, thank you.  You may want to remember that not everyone likes being treated the same way.

In reply to your comments,

for one, I do not regularly  contact models on here to shoot, I network here so to lump my opinion in with those of others that hound models just shows how out of touch with reality your thinking might be.

Maybe I could have worded it differently but  I am not talking about obvious spammers. Or one sided abusive and rude initial interactions. Those are pretty easy to pick up on and ignore but I understand a lot of you like to act like you get so much mail (and you very well may) here that it is impossible to reply to. If that is the case....find a new way to network. You obviously have grown beyond the merits of this site and should hire somebody to do your little work.


There is no argument in this that validates rudeness.

Jan 09 13 08:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Miser Phototgraphy
Posts: 101
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


MelissaAnn  wrote:
Oh, you mean "excelling" beyond a common business practice than many others *don't* consider rude?  Your still not grasping the *fact* , that the idea "not responding is rude" is only an *opinion.*  Your never going to get everyone to agree with your *opinion*.

So many successful people here (and elsewhere) are so "rude."  Gosh, I just don't see how all these "rude" people are becoming so successful, and I especially don't see how they can possibly not care what *you* think of their behavior.

Once more, I stand behind what I have said. You can continue doing things how you do because that is what the world is all about, just know that because you are seemingly showing irritation at my viewpoint, I don't share in that irritation.  THAT is professional behavior and business like attitude. :-)

Jan 09 13 08:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
D-Light
Posts: 569
Newcastle, Limerick, Ireland


I can understand a model not replying to an initial contact but breaking off in the middle of a conversation is rude. A simlpe mail saying something like 'I'm no longer available' or 'I've changed my mind about that particular shoot' is all that's needed.

If your reference check sets off alarm bells, of  course you don't want to shoot with that photographer. It may be difficult to say 'I don't want to work with you because .....' but you could say something else.

If a photographer gets abusive, report and bar him.
Jan 09 13 09:13 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jojo West
Posts: 972
Silver Spring, Maryland, US


Miser Photography wrote:
Those are pretty easy to pick up on and ignore but I understand a lot of you like to act like you get so much mail (and you very well may) here that it is impossible to reply to. If that is the case....find a new way to network. You obviously have grown beyond the merits of this site and should hire somebody to do your little work.

There is no argument in this that validates rudeness.

"hire somebody to do your little work"? I don't think you understand that some folks on here (including myself) have more going on that just modeling. 1, 2, maybe 3 jobs, school, family life. When you take all those things into account sometimes there just isn't time. If we could hire someone to do our "little work" I'm sure we would. I could definitely use someone to clean my house, do my dishes and have my meals prepped for me and when they're done with that, check and reply to my MM messages while I sit and get a pedicure from my personal cosmetologist. JS

Jan 09 13 10:25 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DougBPhoto
Posts: 37,852
Portland, Oregon, US


Miser Photography wrote:
Once more, I stand behind what I have said. You can continue doing things how you do because that is what the world is all about, just know that because you are seemingly showing irritation at my viewpoint, I don't share in that irritation.  THAT is professional behavior and business like attitude. :-)

That is professional behavior and business like attitude?

Doesn't that kinda ignore the fact that the majority of businesses in our country are acting the exact same way?

Send in your resume for a job, if you expect everyone you send to be replied to, you better go to Costco and get a jumbo pack of Preparation H for your butthurt.

Interview for jobs, you EXPECT to always get a reply?   Enjoy your stay in fantasyland.

Models go in on castings, does everyone not getting the job get called or emailed?  FUCK NO.

This "professional" and "business-like" bullshit is just self-serving platitudes because it is NOT how business works anymore.

Time for photogs to grow the hell up, put on your big-boy underoos and get with modern times.

This thread is to help photographers learn why they may not get replies, not for photographers to bitch and moan like toddlers who are upset because they don't get their way.

Get up off the fucking floor, tantrum time is over, and try acting like the professionals you claim to be.

A professional would take this thread as an opportunity for learning, not an opportunity to rant unprofessionally about your out-dated views on society and common courtesy.

It is 2013, time to stop thinking it is 1958.

Sorry, it's not a Leave it to Beaver world anymore.

Jan 09 13 10:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Carter
Posts: 7,644
Indianapolis, Indiana, US


DougBPhoto wrote:

That is professional behavior and business like attitude?

Doesn't that kinda ignore the fact that the majority of businesses in our country are acting the exact same way?

Send in your resume for a job, if you expect everyone you send to be replied to, you better go to Costco and get a jumbo pack of Preparation H for your butthurt.

Interview for jobs, you EXPECT to always get a reply?   Enjoy your stay in fantasyland.

Models go in on castings, does everyone not getting the job get called or emailed?  FUCK NO.

This "professional" and "business-like" bullshit is just self-serving platitudes because it is NOT how business works anymore.

Time for photogs to grow the hell up, put on your big-boy underoos and get with modern times.

This thread is to help photographers learn why they may not get replies, not for photographers to bitch and moan like toddlers who are upset because they don't get their way.

Get up off the fucking floor, tantrum time is over, and try acting like the professionals you claim to be.

A professional would take this thread as an opportunity for learning, not an opportunity to rant unprofessionally about your out-dated views on society and common courtesy.

It is 2013, time to stop thinking it is 1958.

Sorry, it's not a Leave it to Beaver world anymore.

I sent my resume and portfolio out to 200 businesses. I didn't even get rejection letters.

That's called reality big_smile

Jan 09 13 12:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MelissaAnn
Posts: 3,862
Seattle, Washington, US


Miser Photography wrote:
In reply to your comments,

for one, I do not regularly  contact models on here to shoot, I network here so to lump my opinion in with those of others that hound models just shows how out of touch with reality your thinking might be.

Maybe I could have worded it differently but  I am not talking about obvious spammers. Or one sided abusive and rude initial interactions. Those are pretty easy to pick up on and ignore but I understand a lot of you like to act like you get so much mail (and you very well may) here that it is impossible to reply to. If that is the case....find a new way to network. You obviously have grown beyond the merits of this site and should hire somebody to do your little work.


There is no argument in this that validates rudeness.

I don't see what I'm doing as "rude", so there's no need for me to try and justify my behavior.  This thread is about real reasons why models don't respond, not about whether or not photographers think it's rude not to respond.  Read the OP over again, and try adding something useful that's actually on topic.....or don't.  I'm not really all that concerned with what you think, or what you do, or the off-topic tantrums you choose to throw.

I don't need to find a new way to network, because not responding to everyone is working just GREAT for me.

Jan 09 13 01:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MelissaAnn
Posts: 3,862
Seattle, Washington, US


Miser Photography wrote:
Once more, I stand behind what I have said. You can continue doing things how you do because that is what the world is all about, just know that because you are seemingly showing irritation at my viewpoint, I don't share in that irritation.  THAT is professional behavior and business like attitude. :-)

I'm not irritated at all, I find you extremely amusing.  I'm sorry my sarcasm came off as irritation.  You should know I've gotten a good laugh out of every single one of your posts, so thank you, and feel free to continue with your plight to make other people see things your way, or whatever the hell you're trying to accomplish here.  I'm very comfortable with the fact that you think I'm "rude," because I tend not to let the opinions of people I don't know or care about bother me.  smile

Jan 09 13 01:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 27,168
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Miser Photography wrote:
I guess you missed my point completely. By rationalizing the rudeness instead of excelling beyond it.

Im not rationalizing rudeness, for that id have to actually believe its rude, which I dont.


YOU thinking its rude does not magically make it so, to anyone but yourself.

Your last sentence was "treat others how you wish to be treated", and my point is that I AM, and its worked just fine. Because its not rude unless you (general you) take it that way, but that doesnt matter much because its already been decided that we're not working together anyhow. So rather than get all worked up that someone you werent going to have the chance to work with regardless and you will never be forced to interact with EVER, also did something you perceive as rude and made a booboo on your emotions...

Go find a model who isnt, in your personal opinion, rude,  and make some cool shit with your camera and be happy. Its so incredibly simple.

Jan 09 13 03:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
sdgillis
Posts: 2,426
Portland, Oregon, US


Miser Photography wrote:
Not one person networking on this site is too busy to simply reply with a "not interested because ...."


Treat others as you wish to be treated. Plain and simple

I thought that was true too, until I put out a casting call once and had so many responses that I just couldn't get back to all of them and deal with all the q & a from the ones I was trying to field.

I can only imagine what nude models put up with.  Actually I can, one of the ones who posted her showed me her inbox that was like 7 pages of unreads  after being on the road 2 days.....

Jan 09 13 03:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DougBPhoto
Posts: 37,852
Portland, Oregon, US


sdgillis wrote:
I thought that was true too, until I put out a casting call once and had so many responses that I just couldn't get back to all of them and deal with all the q & a from the ones I was trying to field.

I can only imagine what nude models put up with.  Actually I can, one of the ones who posted her showed me her inbox that was like 7 pages of unreads  after being on the road 2 days.....

Damn, I've never had a model show me her inbox sad

Jan 09 13 03:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
291
Posts: 11,911
SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US


Miser Photography wrote:
Look at it this way......if you see a photographers work you like a lot and you know can help your portfolio; you contact them and they don't reply to you....how would you feel?

get over yourself. 

if i contact a model and include "please drop a reply if interested" and i get no reply then i automatically assume there is no interest and there is no need for an explanation.

the fact is, it's far more rude and selfish thinking for those who solicit blindly and place an obligation on someone with no interest to reply just to satisfy their effort.

Jan 09 13 04:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lightfire Creative
Posts: 179
Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia


291 wrote:
if i contact a model and include "please drop a reply if interested" and i get no reply then i automatically assume there is no interest and there is no need for an explanation.

How long do you wait before you consider no reply as a sign of no interest?

Jan 09 13 05:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
291
Posts: 11,911
SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US


291 wrote:
if i contact a model and include "please drop a reply if interested" and i get no reply then i automatically assume there is no interest and there is no need for an explanation.
Lightfire Creative wrote:
How long do you wait before you consider no reply as a sign of no interest?

depends on whether the project is time sensitive.  if applicable that 411 is also included in the message.

Jan 09 13 05:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Anthony Greco
Posts: 38
Cresskill, New Jersey, US


My original reaction to this thread was that nonresponse is rude, period. However upon further reflection I realized that I respond to every inquiry because i don't get that many. If I were a gorgeous model I can imagine that responding to tons of inquiries would get tedious very quickly. I don't really mind getting a nonresponse after an initial inquiry, though. What bothers me is when a model falls off the face of the earth right in the middle of a discussion about a shoot.
Jan 09 13 05:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Studio ten02
Posts: 14
Houston, Texas, US


I find it funny that people on this post have time to post several comments , but say they don't have time to write a simple reply to a shoot request.  While I will sometimes reach out to models on mm for personal shoots I more often send request to models my clients would like to use for paid shoots. I am surprised by the people saying no reply is a reply "saying no"". It is unprofessional, at the least. I have had models reply a week after the shoot date asking if it's too late. So I don't think their initial no reply meant no. While I can and do move on to the next model it is nice to be able to tell a client the model(s) were not available or interested in the shoot. Professional shoots have dead lines, makeup artist, wardrobe....to coordinate, letting the photographer know if your available or not is just being professional.It's not about giving a reason why your not interested, it's just about being professional. The no-reply attitude is hurting the people who are on this site to actually get work, it takes a lot less time to reply with one word "no" than it does to read these post.
Jan 09 13 07:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DougBPhoto
Posts: 37,852
Portland, Oregon, US


I just realized how much so many of the comments here are similar to Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory.

I submit for your comparison:

Aren't you going to check your messages?  (Leonard: No)

You have to check your messages, Leonard.

The leaving of a message is one-half of a social contract, which is completed by the checking of the message.

If that contract breaks down, then all social contracts break down, and we descend into anarchy.

Leonard:  It must be hell inside your head.

It appears we have WAY TOO MANY SHELDONS around here.
Jan 09 13 10:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ErSit
Posts: 2
New City, New York, US


Thanks for posting Melissa.  My take-away from this is that I should list the models I've worked with (I keep the credit section blank) and I should post  photos of more models I've worked with (even upgrade to a paid account).  I'm a very private person...I don't blog, tumbler or fb.  I rarely respond to threads.  I don't like broadcasting who my friends and acquaintances are but I guess this isn't the 80's anymore. smile

In regards to no responses, I don't take it personally.  No response does not mean 'No forever', just a 'No at this point in time'.  I've had travelling models respond months afterward (one model responded a couple of years afterward), when they were back in the area.
Jan 10 13 03:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan OMell
Posts: 1,335
Charlotte, North Carolina, US


I never over-analyze. They don't respond because:

* they are humans
* I'm (too and/or non-) human

whatever the case, there are still 2 billion others, plus 2 billion reasons to respond or not respond.

plus, I love enigmatic women. when somebody does not respond it opens a lot of possibilities and inspires your creativity boost.

there is nothing more boring than very organized and predictable (business) life.
Jan 10 13 04:05 am  Link  Quote 
Film/TV Producer
PrinceL
Posts: 90
Freeport, Grand Bahama, Bahamas


Jan 12 13 09:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
End of the Road Studio
Posts: 161
Albuquerque, New Mexico, US


This has been a hot topic for some time.  Personally, I don’t get “butt hurt” when I don’t get a reply.  I appreciate the input from the models that responded and am somewhat embarrassed by the photographer’s responses.  Listen well, drop the defensive posture and take the opportunity to learn something.
Jan 13 13 02:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PhotomanLondon
Posts: 2
London, England, United Kingdom


Well personally these days I seldom do photo shoots. They are personal ones anyhow. Around a year ago a model asked me for images an I felt they were simply way too amateur after I responded.
There are some exceptional people on MM however to find I both asked details and complimented a particular (so called) model to find no reply I was surprised. I looked again to find I'd been 'blocked'(!) - amazing I thought and I did or said nothing AFAIK wrong. I do tend to choose models carefully as not to make someone feel uneasy or unhappy at the type of images I want.
Luckily over the years I've photographed some amazing people, some of which I owe a lot of gratitude to as they were so helpful (yes a lot of models are better photographers! LOL). I feel that everyone starts somewhere and okay if you are a model with all the looks and benefits then you can be ultra 'choosy', I understand that. However many models (and photographers) on here are simply starting out in one way or another.
I would add that I've been surprised on the odd occasion with a model. No shows when you've booked a studio is unacceptable however I simply 'let those go'. IMHO timewasters and 'creepy' people exist on both sides of the fence.
Michael
Jan 15 13 11:33 am  Link  Quote 
Model
V for Victory Modeling
Posts: 436
Roseville, California, US


What usually annoys me is when I get contacted for a shoot...I respond and then hear nothing back from the photographer.
Jan 15 13 11:46 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Gina Dee
Posts: 304
BRONX, New York, US


I'll be honest and confess that I'm just plain intimidated by the overwhelming amount of offers that I get.

Before this summer all I wanted to do was makeup. But now after a couple of shoots and a few posted images my inbox gets flooded. I don't even consider myself a model like that. I guess maybe I'm scared I won't live up to expectations.
Jan 15 13 12:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Stathena
Posts: 45
Langhorne, Pennsylvania, US


Paige Morgan wrote:
I've never just dropped communication with someone. I will politely decline certain offers (which some folks don't handle well), but I always respond if for nothing else so that the person knows the message was received/read/considered.

Also, because I have OCD issues, I try to make sure responses are sent out in 24 hours or less.


Not everyone has time to be attached at the hip to their smartphone to that degree though.

I'm like Paige here...even if I am not interested I give a reply of decline. It is both an OCD and "doing as you would want done to you" thing for me. I love it when someone responds to me (even if they already booked another model, or I just don't fit their look), so I do the same thing. I have had many paid shoots just by responding and declining an offer because of the way I carry myself. It does give a pleasant impression.

I know this is an old thread I just found it interesting.

Apr 27 13 11:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eros Fine Art Photo
Posts: 2,570
Torrance, California, US


I don't respond to people who write me sometimes, because in the past I've had models start to argue with me when I politely turned them down for a casting I put up.  They came at me with the "well, why not??" questions first, and became snide or rude after I tried to graciously give them an explanation.  If they became hostile, then I'd just get blunt with them. 

So, in order to avoid any drama, I simply don't respond if the model's look doesn't fit what I want for my project.  I make it clear in my castings that I want models whose look will compliment the work I already have, but inevitably I get responses from some who clearly fall short of that.  I simply don't have the time to explain it if they can't see the obvious. 

Basically, no response is a response.
Apr 27 13 11:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
1k-words-photograpy
Posts: 337
Leesburg, Virginia, US


I don't mind nonresponse. I don't mind if I start a thread with you and then you stop responding.

Two things that do drive me crazy:

- When you come to me seeking to shoot and disappear mid conversation.
- When you just pop back up 3 weeks later like "when are we shooting" as if nothing ever happened.

Also I don't think i should get a response from everyone I ping. That would be like getting a no thank you from every employer you've ever tried to get on with. But a conversation has started I think its professional consideration that if you lose interest to say "this just ins't a good fit right now." If someone asks you for more than that then you can ignore them but its a simple kindness to say you aren't interested if you aren't interested anymore.
Apr 27 13 11:45 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Tiffany Bond
Posts: 76
West Jordan, Utah, US


I generally won't respond if it's a photographer with really poor-quality work, or if it's obvious they're shooting smutty photos that won't have any payoff whatsoever for me. We've all been approached by them. You click through their whole album of only maybe 6 photos of completely un-edited work of girls in bikinis that were obviously taken with a low-quality point-and-shoot camera. I have no problem shooting in a bikini, don't get me wrong, but there's something overly obvious about a terrible photographer with no talent or experience that only wants to shoot half-naked women in cheesy, slutty poses. You can tell what he's really about. I just don't see those people being worth my response. They always seem to be the ones that get offended when you politely turn them down too... or they take "No" as "Convince me". It's better to avoid it altogether.

Otherwise, I at least try to give some kind of response or polite no.
Apr 28 13 02:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R.EYE.R
Posts: 2,784
Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan


Everything is relative...
Apr 28 13 03:18 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Photographe
Posts: 2,350
Bristol, England, United Kingdom


The fact that credits are missing from some photographs means nothing. Especially in the case of nudes, many women have personal and business reasons for asking for the photos to be used without their credits.
Apr 28 13 04:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
What Fun Productions
Posts: 20,155
Phoenix, Arizona, US


DougBPhoto wrote:

It is 2013, time to stop thinking it is 1958.

Sorry, it's not a Leave it to Beaver world anymore.

What was rude then is still rude today.

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

In the long run, kindness and good manners matter the most.

Apr 28 13 06:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Greg Kolack
Posts: 17,726
Downers Grove, Illinois, US


Post hidden on Apr 28, 2013 07:49 am
Reason: other
Apr 28 13 07:21 am  Link 
Photographer
DougBPhoto
Posts: 37,852
Portland, Oregon, US


What Fun Productions wrote:

What was rude then is still rude today.

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

In the long run, kindness and good manners matter the most.

While you may think it is rude, and while I may even think it is rude, it is still what happens on this site often enough to be a normal thing, and I don't think either of us are going to be able to change it.

I don't like to leave messages unresponded to as it simply isn't the way I was brought up, and I would not want to show that disrespect, or imply that disrespect to others, but unfortunately, that isn't how many on this site think, and it is more common in our society overall.

I don't know that kindness and good manners matter MOST, I will say that I do wish there were more people following that idea treating others how you would like to be treated.

Ultimately though, I think there are those who rationalize and feel that how they handle their responses is reasonable and justified, and people in that state are probably unlikely to have a sudden realization or develop greater empathy for how their choices can potentially have a strong impact on other people.

Apr 28 13 07:55 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rick OBanion Photo
Posts: 1,347
Saint Catharines-Niagara, Ontario, Canada


If I begged and had chocolate....would that help?  big_smile
Apr 28 13 11:18 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R Byron Johnson
Posts: 767
Norman, Oklahoma, US


If a model isn't interested in working with me, I'd prefer that she just not reply at all.  Whatever her reasons are for not being interested, it's most likely something that I either can't or don't want to change.  So I really don't care.   

I don't see any point in taking it personally nor do I think they mean it personally.  And even if a few of them do, who gives a shit.

No matter what your experience level is, how much or how little you pay, where you do your shoots, whether you like doing a lot of nudes, or whatever, you can find a model somewhere willing to pose for you.  And this site isn't the end-all-be-all in the world of modeling and photography.  It's a blip on the radar at best.  So why get all bent out of shape about it.
Apr 28 13 02:00 pm  Link  Quote 
first678910last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers