Forums > General Industry > ShootNotes

Photographer

DigitalJack Photography

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

King of the Letter L wrote:
Okay, it appears to be back.

I'm going to guess that MM's tech team took public access offline for a short time due to load or perhaps even someone hitting the site pretty hard (harder than a search engine would, which is orders of magnitude harder than a user or even ShootNotes would).

Ok, to worked.

Dec 05 07 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

And... public viewing is disabled again.

I have to presume that this is automated and tied to load.

Dec 05 07 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

And... public viewing is disabled again.

I have to presume that this is automated and tied to load.

If it is, you need a design that accomodates that fact.

Two usability issues:

1.  Numbers for pages at the bottom of the "worked with" screen, for instance, are nearly illegible, at least to partly colorblind people like me.  I wouldn't even have seen they were there, except that I knew they were supposed to be, and looked really hard.  They need to be a color that is very different from the dark background of the frame.

2.  The PM system seems to me a potentially useful enhancement, but there are no instructions on how to use it.  For instance, what do you put in the "to" box?  An email address?  Shootnotes member number?  MM member number?  What?

Dec 05 07 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

TXPhotog wrote:
If it is, you need a design that accomodates that fact.

Two usability issues:

1.  Numbers for pages at the bottom of the "worked with" screen, for instance, are nearly illegible, at least to partly colorblind people like me.  I wouldn't even have seen they were there, except that I knew they were supposed to be, and looked really hard.  They need to be a color that is very different from the dark background of the frame.

2.  The PM system seems to me a potentially useful enhancement, but there are no instructions on how to use it.  For instance, what do you put in the "to" box?  An email address?  Shootnotes member number?  MM member number?  What?

Designing for the fact that MM disables public profiles presents me with a problem: to get around it, I can use an authenticated account. But that would, arguably, go against the reason that MM is turning this off in the first place.

As I said, I like to play nice with other sites. I'm only doing a single, lightweight hit to get the public data. Anything more than that, without Tyler's permission, goes beyond my ethical line.

I sure wish I could have 15 minutes of Tyler's time for a phone call... my email to him has gone unanswered.

Your usability issues will be addressed presently. The PM system is brand new, and I'm working on it right now.

Dec 05 07 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Still dead in the water, as MM is still blocking the public from seeing profiles...

Dec 06 07 01:04 am Link

Photographer

George Lue

Orlando, Florida, US

Still dead in the water, as MM is still blocking the public from seeing profiles...

It would suck if all this work was for nothing.

The new profile is now lacking the self-lookup link.

Dec 06 07 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

George Lue wrote:

It would suck if all this work was for nothing.

The new profile is now lacking the self-lookup link.

It will be back. I'm migrating those features over.

And yes, that would suck.

Dec 06 07 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

So it would appear that profiles are viewable by the public again. I hope it stays that way :-)

I need to test out the banner system. The first ten models or photographers to send me a single, 486x60 banner will get it put into rotation on the site, at least for a few days. No charge.

I need the banner and the URL that you want it to go to. Send both to me here or to [email protected].

No pr0n sites, please. I reserve the right to reject any banner or site for inappropriate content.

If you have a banner but not a site, I can link it to your MM profile if you wish.

On other topics - I've seen some proofs of the new badges. They look nice!

And the new profiling system is almost done, at which time the data should have cooked long enough for me to enable some more data points and the new reporting suite (which will use some of the new badges).

Then on to the next phase of features.

Dec 06 07 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I sent you my crappy half assed banner  big_smile

Dec 06 07 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

So this thread is quiet and the other is locked. Bleh.

Dec 09 07 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Lumigraphics wrote:
So this thread is quiet and the other is locked. Bleh.

Hopefully because anyone who was spouting off, not having bothered to actually figure out how the site's working/going to work, came here, read, and is now embarrassed.

Yeah, I know, fat chance. wink

Dec 09 07 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Holy crap, that was tough. The new profile system is done, and fully-integrated. Now I just have to put the fields back (including suggestions I've received) and re-integrate them into the algorithm.

I hope the new data badges look good. Beta or no beta, I'm tired of the big ugly green thing.

Dec 10 07 12:28 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Holy crap, that was tough. The new profile system is done, and fully-integrated. Now I just have to put the fields back (including suggestions I've received) and re-integrate them into the algorithm.

I hope the new data badges look good. Beta or no beta, I'm tired of the big ugly green thing.

YAY new badges!  *goes to look*

Dec 11 07 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Xeris - Dwight

Austin, Texas, US

I have been getting this message
"Your login has been blocked. Please contact the administrator."

when I try to log on for a loooooonnnggg time now. 2 emails to support have not helped any, one never got a response.

Are you in a position to get this fixed?

Dec 11 07 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Studio Allure

Columbus, Ohio, US

how do you get people to vouch for you?

Dec 11 07 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Brooks Ayola

Chatsworth, California, US

Xeris wrote:

I have been getting this message
"Your login has been blocked. Please contact the administrator."

when I try to log on for a loooooonnnggg time now. 2 emails to support have not helped any, one never got a response.

Are you in a position to get this fixed?

He's one guy with a keyboard. The boss took the other 20 employees to Hawaii for the holidays and left him all alone to fix everything. Be patient. :-)

Dec 11 07 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

George Lue

Orlando, Florida, US

The new badge isn't working for me.  It throws errors like crazy.

Edit: Working fine now!

Dec 11 07 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

The errors with the badges y'all saw lasted about 20 minutes as I was installing the new badge system. The two new layouts are tests, of course. You'll see that they're PNGs instead of jpegs, support transparency, and you can switch your badge style now. Tyler asked that I accelerate getting the badges smaller and less... well, less UGLY, so I pushed that to the top of the list.

While this is in beta, I'm pushing live code as it's ready, simply to get it out there. Once the beta is over, I'll move my team over to staging/production servers.

I've got a really good graphic artist working on new designs. He says he has tons of free time right now while the writer's strike is on, so I gave him a job :-). I hope to have them by the end of the week. At least now, you can select the "White" style (intended for use on white backgrounds) which is a little smaller and less ugly.

Now...

1. Allowing you to link more than one MM profile (for those with multiple profiles, or model as well as photographer profiles, etc).

2. Put back the profile data items for models and photographers and get them linked back into the algorithm.

3. Finish the bi-directional reporting capabilities for the first set of Worked-With data.

At that point, the beta-one and beta-two functionality will be done, and the REAL work begins in getting the algorithm tuned and being used.

And again, I'd like to thank Tyler for a really productive conversation yesterday and his cautious optimism that this will work.

Dec 11 07 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Interesting concept Shootnotes .

I will watch and see how it devleops for now ....

Dec 11 07 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Coarse Art

Lexington, Ohio, US

Digitallure Photography wrote:
how do you get people to vouch for you?

Threats and blackmail?

Dec 11 07 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

fStopstudios

Lowell, Massachusetts, US

chris, where have I been? I was wondering what all those funny things were in profiles this week wink

I joined and gratz on having the initiative to kick it off.

Dec 19 07 02:57 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

As just posted on the site:

The new user subsystem has been installed. In the perfect world, you should notice no difference at all. But the subsystem allows for multiple Model Mayhem accounts and all types, not just photographer and model. I'm going to let it cook for 24 hours and then enable this new functionality. Any bugs at all, please let me know!

Specifically, if anything looks wrong when looking up users, adding vouch-for or worked-with entries and especially signing up and verifying your data badge.

Now, on to the expanded data points...

Dec 19 07 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

DeLandWayne Photography

DELAND, Florida, US

bump bump

Dec 19 07 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I need a few testers.

If anyone is:

1. A current ShootNotes Member

2. Has another MM account of a DIFFERENT TYPE than their current one - and by this, I mean a photographer who also has a model account or vice versa.

And also...

3. Has another MM account of the SAME TYPE as their current one - a photographer with another photographer account, or a model with another model account.

Please PM me. I need two or three of each (someone who is #1 and #2 as  well as someone who is #1 and #3).

Thanks!

Dec 20 07 11:42 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Woah, all kinds of new stuff.

Slooooowly transferring all of my vouch-for to the worked-with list... (do people who get recommended automatically get considered vouched for, or do they have to be in both lists?)

One bug with the model profile-- height doesn't save.  I'm betting is has something to do with the ' and " characters.

Dec 20 07 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
Woah, all kinds of new stuff.

Slooooowly transferring all of my vouch-for to the worked-with list... (do people who get recommended automatically get considered vouched for, or do they have to be in both lists?)

One bug with the model profile-- height doesn't save.  I'm betting is has something to do with the ' and " characters.

A Worked-With entry with "recommended" checked has a higher value in the final algorithm than a vouch. Being in both reinforces the metric, but does not add to it (that sounds contradictory but it's not). More than that, I'm not going to go into detail :-)

I'll check out the height problem.

Dec 20 07 03:27 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

I have a question and I'm not sure if it's been asked yet.
If it has, please forgive me and my ADD. smile

If someone has more than one of one type of MM account, can those both be linked to one shootnotes account?

Like, if you have 2 model accounts on MM......

Dec 20 07 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

MelissaLynnette LaDiva wrote:
I have a question and I'm not sure if it's been asked yet.
If it has, please forgive me and my ADD. smile

If someone has more than one of one type of MM account, can those both be linked to one shootnotes account?

Like, if you have 2 model accounts on MM......

Yes. That's precisely what I'm testing now, hence my call, a couple posts up, for people who have two or more accounts.

Dec 20 07 04:58 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Chris the Deposed King wrote:

Yes. That's precisely what I'm testing now, hence my call, a couple posts up, for people who have two or more accounts.

::smacks forehead::

Duh Melissa!  big_smile

Dec 20 07 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

A Worked-With entry with "recommended" checked has a higher value in the final algorithm than a vouch. Being in both reinforces the metric, but does not add to it (that sounds contradictory but it's not). More than that, I'm not going to go into detail :-)

I'll check out the height problem.

I have to get all my model releases in alphabetical order so I can enter them into my shootnotes worked with list as shootdates are required, yes? So far everyone in my vouch list are people who I have met and worked with and highly recommend smile

Dec 20 07 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

nothing like the sun wrote:

I have to get all my model releases in alphabetical order so I can enter them into my shootnotes worked with list as shootdates are required, yes? So far everyone in my vouch list are people who I have met and worked with and highly recommend smile

Exact dates are required right now. In a few days, I'm going to relax that to month/year if you want.

Dec 20 07 05:08 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

I'm on ShootNotes.

I have a 0.

*pout*

Dec 20 07 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

MelissaLynnette LaDiva wrote:
::smacks forehead::

Duh Melissa!  big_smile

That's okay, I still have my secret crush on you :-)

Dec 20 07 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Xeris - Dwight

Austin, Texas, US

Daniela Victoria  wrote:
I'm on ShootNotes.

I have a 0.

*pout*

At least you can see yours. They still won't allow me to log in. I think I must be on some permanent "Do Not Enter" list.

Dec 20 07 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Daniela Victoria  wrote:
I'm on ShootNotes.

I have a 0.

*pout*

If you'd made it to Florida you'd be on there  sad
Another tragedy  sad

Dec 20 07 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Brooks Ayola

Chatsworth, California, US

Daniela Victoria  wrote:
I'm on ShootNotes.

I have a 0.

*pout*

I didn't either... UNTIL, I started vouching for others and they saw mine and vouched back. I also started adding to the Shot With list when I saw people on there that I've shot with. So far it's a small percentage of those I've worked with here, but it's a start.

Dec 20 07 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Xeris wrote:

At least you can see yours. They still won't allow me to log in. I think I must be on some permanent "Do Not Enter" list.

If you're on AOL, you might remain on that list. Nothing I can figure out is keeping them from clobbering the authentication cookie.

Dec 20 07 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

Exact dates are required right now. In a few days, I'm going to relax that to month/year if you want.

I would prefer that..

Dec 20 07 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Enough members have signed up and are using the system that I was able to run the security tests earlier than expected.

As such, profiles are now visible to anyone, logged-in or not. This is for the public information ONLY.

Shoot Reports still require that one be logged-in to view them, but the security sweep on them will be done this week as well.

Just FYI.

Dec 23 07 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

PierJes

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Good initiative.

My only rant is that I think the badge takes too much place on a page...
I'm sure all the glitches will be taken care of soon enough...

https://www.ShootNotes.com/BAN-USER/SN1276.sn

Dec 26 07 06:25 pm Link