Forums > General Industry > ShootNotes

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

AndrewG wrote:

bummer..

But I went to the site and did a lookup of my MM number and it said I wasnt a member.

"Sorry, that user is not a member of ShootNotes."

Because nobody (except for me and Brian and SLE) are activated at this point. I'm ready to allow everyone to activate, just as soon as I can validate the badge on a profile.

Nov 19 07 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

UPoz4me

Perrysburg, Ohio, US

So if it says "Sorry, model or photographer only right now." It's only because you need to verify?

Nov 19 07 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

UPoz4me wrote:
So if it says "Sorry, model or photographer only right now." It's only because you need to verify?

Yup. That means that it didn't see the appropriate kind of account. In this case, it's seeing NO account, because all it's getting back is the MM error about only members being able to view profiles.

Nov 19 07 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

I signed up and found...

- Once an account was obtained, the page did not give me further instruction that I must ACTIVATE my SN account. I didn't realize this until I checked my e-mail.

- The verification process is also called "Activate". This will confuse a lot of people as people would think they've already activated. You need to call it something else, such as "Verification" process?

- Generally, you want to list and perhaps number all the steps to a full working SN account. Such as:

Signing up with ShootNotes is easy, just follow these steps:
1. Sign up for an account
2. Receive e-mail and activate your SN account.
3. Post badge and verify your MM status.
4. Start using ShootNotes

Something of the above nature, possibly with the current step listed in the account setting.

- The login box need to be more visible and intuitive. (Hitting enter does nothing)

- I was unable to verifiy my account. It told me "models and photographers only"

- The badge needs an option that will hide my real name. Perhaps have it synch with the MM name.

Nov 19 07 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

UPoz4me wrote:

There. Now it'll tell you why, instead of giving the other error.

CLT wrote:
- I was unable to verifiy my account. It told me "models and photographers only"

Your other comments have been incorporated into the bug/feature list.

This error is because Tyler has turned off the ability for non-members to see profiles. There is now a better error message.

Nov 19 07 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

I edited my list.

Nov 19 07 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

CLT wrote:
I edited my list.

Noted. I've already changed all instances of "Activate" to "Verify" to make this more clear, and changed the text in the bottom and called it, "I want to use ShootNotes!"

I'll look into making the login module a little more obvious - or adding a more obvious one to display in the main section.

The error currently being shown has been changed to properly inform people that I can't hit MM right now.

And I'll look into the badge. I'm actually considering changing the text to display the Model Mayhem number - which will allow one to see, at a glance, that the badge corresponds to the account it's on. The system has other ways to detect cheating, but humans are good at that, too :-)

Thanks, CLT.

Nov 19 07 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Tiffin

San Antonio, Texas, US

Nice work on this Chris. Will we all get an email to advise that our a/c has moved from 'verify' to 'activated'  ?

-jon

Nov 19 07 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

King of the Letter L wrote:

Because nobody (except for me and Brian and SLE) are activated at this point. I'm ready to allow everyone to activate, just as soon as I can validate the badge on a profile.

Yay, I r speshul!

Nov 19 07 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Jon Tiffin wrote:
Nice work on this Chris. Will we all get an email to advise that our a/c has moved from 'verify' to 'activated'  ?

I will send out a broadcast letting everyone know that they can activate their account as soon as Tyler re-enables public viewing, yes.

In the meantime, I'm taking advantage of the wait and working on some of the phase 2 features - so anyone with any problems or ideas, please let me know (like CLT did, above).

Thanks.

Nov 19 07 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Tiffin

San Antonio, Texas, US

I will send out a broadcast letting everyone know that they can activate their account as soon as Tyler re-enables public viewing, yes.

In the meantime, I'm taking advantage of the wait and working on some of the phase 2 features - so anyone with any problems or ideas, please let me know (like CLT did, above).

Thanks.

Is Tyler just processing your req'st or ??, What if Tyler doesn't want to turn on Public Viewing? Will you have a work-a-round?

Nov 19 07 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Wet Ltd

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thanks.

Love your idea and can't wait till your able to activate some of us old folks....

Nov 19 07 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Stalnaker

Sarasota, Florida, US

I signed up and went to verify my account and got this message, what now?

Apologies, but Model Mayhem is prohibiting non-members from viewing profiles at this time. As such, your account cannot be verified.

Nov 19 07 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Mike Stalnaker wrote:
I signed up and went to verify my account and got this message, what now?

Apologies, but Model Mayhem is prohibiting non-members from viewing profiles at this time. As such, your account cannot be verified.

See above :-)

I hope Tyler will turn it back on soon. If not, I have a workaround, but I'd rather not use it, as it requires extra hits to Model Mayhem, and I'm trying to play nice.

Nov 19 07 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Very quietly, just for those monitoring this thread...

You can now verify your account.

Nov 20 07 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

O.K., I must be doing something wrong. The badge still says that I am still in the process of activating my account.

But when I saw your latest post, I went to verify again and got the message:

"Sorry, only one ShootNotes badge is allowed per account. I'm sure you understand."

So am I active or not?

Also, Chris, I have a very minor request - after all the bugs are worked out, can we get a smaller redesigned badge. The current one is a bit... inelegant.

Thanks for setting this up!

Nov 20 07 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

Fotographia Fantastique wrote:
O.K., I must be doing something wrong. The badge still says that I am still in the process of activating my account.

But when I saw your latest post, I went to verify again and got the message:

"Sorry, only one ShootNotes badge is allowed per account. I'm sure you understand."

So am I active or not?

same here..

Nov 20 07 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Oops. Bug :-) It's now been fixed.

I didn't realize that Model Mayhem automatically creates an ALT tag in the image with a duplicate URL, so the system saw that as a second badge.

You can verify now.

And yes, there will be smaller badge formats in phase 2, including some banners you can use elsewhere and 'data badges' that give more constrained info if you want to display that, too.

The feature list I have right now is about 150 features.

Nov 20 07 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I'm not afraid. I signed up.

Nov 20 07 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hey Chris... A couple of things I wonder about.

Should people only be allowed to Vouch for and create notes for other Shoot Notes members? This way it's truly an opt in sorta thing.

Also, Do you have a security feature to keep people from killing their account then re-opening a new account if/when they get a negative?

Nov 20 07 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

John Jebbia wrote:
Hey Chris... A couple of things I wonder about.

Should people only be allowed to Vouch for and create notes for other Shoot Notes members? This way it's truly an opt in sorta thing.

Also, Do you have a security feature to keep people from killing their account then re-opening a new account if/when they get a negative?

1. No. You can vouch for anyone based on their MM number. But if they're not a ShootNotes member, that vouching won't show up until/unless they sign up, at which point it'll show up as if by magic. For phase one, vouching, it's just a single positive boolean value that means, "Yes, I'll vouch for this person."

2. How would this work? If you get negatives, you can kill your ShootNotes account, and remove your badge, but if you ever sign up again, you're still doing so under the same MM number, so those values are still there. Sure, you could open a brand new MM account and "start over," but that's a pain in the ass, isn't it? And anyone can do that now. Phase 2 will deal with negative information and how it's managed. I do believe I have the solution to this.

Consider the current situation: you, John Jebbia, piss off a horde of people when you start acting like a Fascist dirt farmer and ruin your reputation. What do you do? Kill your Model Mayhem account and create a new one? Okay... now you have a new account on Model Mayhem, a new, fake name, and nobody has vouched for you.

But for now, phase 1 is just the positive "vouch for" and, shortly, the positive "I worked with this person" notation.

Nov 20 07 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Ok.. if someone vouches for you, is there any way to find out who it is?

Nov 20 07 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

O.K., I'll send some feedback once there's someone I've vouched for and someone that's vouched for me.

One minor quibble - the text of the badge includes a line that says X's profile has been viewed y number of times since joining shootnotes - or something like that. It seems like a basic counter that goes up every time I view my own page.

A minor detail to be sure, but it's a quibble I have with most counters (and that script someone wrote that creates a bar graph of profile traffic). It is misleading info.

Nov 20 07 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Fotographia Fantastique wrote:
A minor detail to be sure, but it's a quibble I have with most counters (and that script someone wrote that creates a bar graph of profile traffic). It is misleading info.

Yup. Right now it's just counting, to make sure that it can handle the load and discriminate the hits. Once this beta is done, I'll reset the value and start counting unique IPs as a single hit in a 24 hour period as well as some other metrics.

Walk, then run :-)

Nov 20 07 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

John Jebbia wrote:
Ok.. if someone vouches for you, is there any way to find out who it is?

Not right now, but within the next few days, yes. The order of phase one features:

1. Verification (done)
2. Vouch-For (done)
3. Worked-With
4. Reporting

I'm working on #3 right now.

Nov 20 07 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

normad

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

FWIW:
I went there and clicked "lookup".
The page said something like:
Server Error in '/' Application.
Compilation Error
Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS1501: No overload for method 'DisplayBanner' takes '1' arguments

Source Error:

Line 147:          if (emitterDisplayMode == DisplayMode.banner)
Line 148:          {
Line 149:            this.DisplayBanner(context);
Line 150:
Line 151:            return;

Source File: e:\users\snotes\www\App_Code\Emitter.cs    Line: 149

Show Detailed Compiler Output:

c:\windows\system32\inetsrv> "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\csc.exe" /t:library /utf8output /R:"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET

(lots of stuff here)

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.832; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.832

it spits source code out man, you might want to fix that ...
b

Nov 20 07 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Not right now, but within the next few days, yes. The order of phase one features:

1. Verification (done)
2. Vouch-For (done)
3. Worked-With
4. Reporting

I'm working on #3 right now.

I'm assuming that Reporting will be where people can post their gripes. I'm fine with that, but my biggest issue with the Industry Blacklist website was that photographers and models could only read their respective forums.

If someone's going to blacklist someone I think that it certainly should not be anonymously and the person being blacklisted should definitely have the opportunity to counter.

Nov 20 07 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Victor Maldonado

Los Angeles, California, US

The code is not showing up on my computer?? THe box is empty (blank) help please!

Nov 20 07 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Victor Maldonado

Los Angeles, California, US

I can't see any badge code in the text box...can someone please provide me with it? Thanks!

Nov 20 07 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

John Jebbia wrote:

I'm assuming that Reporting will be where people can post their gripes. I'm fine with that, but my biggest issue with the Industry Blacklist website was that photographers and models could only read their respective forums.

If someone's going to blacklist someone I think that it certainly should not be anonymously and the person being blacklisted should definitely have the opportunity to counter.

Agreed.
Another problem with the blacklist site was that hardly anyone knew about/used it. So it really had very little effect. I do like the ShootNotes system of positive vouching for someone over the blacklist site which was just as I recall negative reporting.

Nov 20 07 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

normad wrote:
it spits source code out man, you might want to fix that ...

I have no problem with anyone seeing the source of the emitter right now :-)

And, being a beta, you'll get the occasional error when I make major changes. Betas, I hack running code. Production, I hack on a staging server.

Nov 20 07 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Victor M wrote:
I can't see any badge code in the text box...can someone please provide me with it? Thanks!

What's your OS and browser. Two people have had this issue but nobody has given me any OS/browser info.

Nov 20 07 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

JEBKA Photography

Firestone, Colorado, US

I'm also considering paying my attorney for a patent search on the validation system I created.

I would expect nothing less from you.

Nov 20 07 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

John Jebbia wrote:

No, reporting is how everyone can see who has done the vouching for each member and also see the reports of who claims to have worked with whom, and their notes on that shoot. The vast majority of the data points are "if you have nothing nice to say, you can't say anything." That is, you can either vouch for someone (a positive data point) or not (no data point).

That said, when you say you've worked with someone, you can leave notes that do include negative information. If that member is also on ShootNotes, they can respond to your report with their data points. In all but one field, those data points are constrained - they're not free-form. One field is a free-form text field, though, where you can type whatever you want.

There are two more aspects of "Worked-With" that might make the lightbulb go on. First, if you state that you've worked with a member, they're notified, so members don't have to go hunting down reports on them. Both an email when the record is created as well as a report that'll give you a list.

Second, you can create a "Worked-With" entry for an upcoming shoot, which then enables the ability for BOTH parties to acknowledge, before the shoot, that it's scheduled. Then, afterwards, BOTH parties can state how it went.

I trust this last part just made a bunch of you say, "Holy crap, I get it!" :-)

Nov 20 07 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Lumondo Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

What's your OS and browser. Two people have had this issue but nobody has given me any OS/browser info.

Badge code for me is empty too - winxp/firefox 2.0.0.9

Nov 20 07 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

JEBKA Photography

Firestone, Colorado, US

IE7 - 7.0.5730.11
winxp pro 2 with latest security patches.

Laptop -  2gig RAM - 2 Ghz

2 gig paging space with 45 gig free HD

Nov 20 07 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Okay, pre-verification badge code is fixed. Another dumb bug on my part. I think I need a break and some caffeine :-)

Nov 20 07 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

JEBKA Photography

Firestone, Colorado, US

Okay, pre-verification badge code is fixed. Another dumb bug on my part. I think I need a break and some caffeine :-)

Thanks

Nov 20 07 06:38 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Decadence D

Chicago, Illinois, US

What a great idea. I have seen this concept mentioned quite a few times in threads. I think it will more than pay for itself through advertising revenue. I can see models and photogs that are serious about shooting feeling the need to be on there and it will force the members to be more cognizant of their professionalism.

If I had on a hat, I would tip it off to you.

Nov 20 07 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Creativity Farm

Westville, New Jersey, US

Ok, I manged to validate myself... here's some feedback/comments....

The default iframe height for the vouch for page needs to be larger... even if your list is empty you need to scroll.

You might want to change the language after you initially enter a persons MM no. to vouch for the.... on the first page the button says create vouch-for entry, next page it says validate, then on the third page it says create record.  It should be "save" or "finish" or something, since the record isn't created until you click it (some people might take it to mean create new record).

You have "verify account" on your main menu.  In reality, I should only need to click that link once, so does it really deserve a place on the main menu forever?

The banner/badge page is confusing.  I'm assuming the badge is what needs to be displayed, and the banner is just to advertise the site... either label it such, or separate the badge to another page.  Or do away with the badge page entirely and just email the cut and paste text to the user.

Vouching for is ok, but how (if at all) does the site intend to deal with negative feedback (no shows, etc).  It would be nice if we could list all models we shot, then the user could see the tally of "total shot with" vs. "total vouch for", and maybe even a "reported no show", etc.

Also, maybe more ways to search.

Nice job!

Nov 20 07 06:41 pm Link