Forums > General Industry > the import scene

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Cicada: 

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
the best import models usually end up...

naked.

hahahaha

You feel me on that one?  I used to be in a car club back in 94-98.  We used to have models all over our cars.  They were 18 back then.  Now they expose thier goodies all over the place.

May 30 05 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Posted by DreamPretty©: 

Posted by Tina Lee: 
being an import model means you model imports. import cars, import parts, import shows. IMPORTS. how is this unclear?

But generally the models wear bikinis right? I mean, is their any other acceptable dress code? I'm just wondering, because I've noticed a similarity between ring-girls and import models. Basically, hot chicks in skimpy bikinis. Not too much complexity there. Hey, sounds like a fun way to make a few bucks and get some exposure. I'm up for it! Oops, I need a tan first though.

Hi Dream! That is some what true, but models in the Import scene also wear other clothes too beside bikinis. Actually at the shows like HIN's for example, the models are dressed in short skirts, tight tops, etc ... that show off their bodys, but not often in bikinis. Although for many of the magazine spreads they are in bikinis.

May 30 05 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Patrick Walberg: 
models in the Import scene also wear other clothes too beside bikinis. Actually at the shows like HIN's for example, the models are dressed in short skirts, tight tops, etc ... that show off their bodys, but not often in bikinis. Although for many of the magazine spreads they are in bikinis.

They wear short skirts, booty shorts or low cut jeans and pull thier thongs all the way up because they like the feeling of wedgies.

May 30 05 04:48 pm Link

Model

jaelee

San Jose, California, US

woo...this threads getting crazy...
poor girl is getting slaughtered hahaha...

give the girl some credit for trying?

hell im in the import scene...im basically a living breathing hood ornament...do i mind? not particularly. i see it as fun...import modeling isnt promoting the company/crew your with its promoting yourself...what import model can honestly say that they model for someone because they want to make THEM look good...i suppose its a win-win situation...companies get to look good for having hot girls...hot girls get a place to sell shit and meet and greet.

you goto shows...win the crowd over...and make the money.

and sometimes you get naked...however nikki cash never got naked...not that i know of anyway...same with lianne lin...im too lazy to think right now...ANYWAY...

i agree import modeling isnt terribly respectable as opposed to other types of modeling but it gives you a chance to socialize...gain a fan base...SCHMOOZE!! its fun...and thats what modeling should be...have fun rather than look like a limp lifeless cucumber in all of your pictures...

to the age thing...16 is young but if you find a crew willing to take you more power to you...but a lot of photographers wont shoot you...i say just take a disposable grab a friend and have some fun hahaha...or yknow...fake id? haha...

May 30 05 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Tina Lee: 

Posted by DJ Foothill: 

Posted by XtremeArtists ®: 
DJ, she is involved already and knows more than anyone else in the thread...

You know I got that the second time around. But she still doesn't know that "Import Modeling" At car shows is still PROMOTIONAL modeling. Or that Francine Dee is like the Grandmother of "Import" modeling.

But hell what do I know I am only just putting a show on. 

oh, i love sarcasm. you all are too cute. and yes, i do know its all basically promo work.
i must admit age does become a confliction at times, but when i turn 18 in a year, i will have all the contacts i need and knowledge of the industry; so its nothing but smart for me to start now. i also know of many girls that are underage and work at import shows, etc.
and a $2 entrance fee car show/barbeque at the park is NOT what im talking about. why dont you guys check into it before you think you have a clue.

Tina, these guys on here have sharp and wicked senses of humor! You want to see what can happen  ... the war, umm excuse me, the thread on if "internet models are a joke?" got locked up! Honestly, I hope this one does not get personal either.  I think that Joey of VM has the most wicked sense of humor of all! LOL

Some folks take all this too seriously, when I enjoy what I do and could careless what others think.

May 30 05 04:57 pm Link

Model

Tina Lee

San Jose, California, US

finallyy, someone who gets it! haha.. kimloan doesnt pose nude either. neither does allaya lee or alexia lei.
hey i noticed youre from san jo. i lived there like all my life till last summer. ill be there in a few weeks though. anyways, whoa i hella recognize you. youre komodo's friend, yeah? im shooting his cd cover next weekend smile i understand youre doing one too? sickkk smile and yeah, were friends and so ill probably see you at a club or something.. cuz i DO have a fake id, and komodo plans on takin me out. haha. what a small world, eh?

May 30 05 04:59 pm Link

Model

Tina Lee

San Jose, California, US

seriously, why post in here if you have nothing to contribute to the topic except what you think of it, when you are clueless. i started this thread to meet fellow car enthusiasts and photographers involved in my line of work. how bout everyone else hush.

May 30 05 05:03 pm Link

Model

jaelee

San Jose, California, US

hahaha holy fuck dude [the stoner in me is revealed]...small world...

hey lets go clubbing ;3...i wanna meet this saucy lil firecracker. am i doing a cd cover? prolly...that crackhead never tells me anything but calls me at random hours of the night cause he's BORED...ANYWAY...honestly if you wanna do a shoot ill shoot you...just dont take off any of your clothes please haha...lemme know hun.

May 30 05 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by jaelee: 

hell im in the import scene...im basically a living breathing hood ornament...do i mind? not particularly. i see it as fun...import modeling isnt promoting the company/crew your with its promoting yourself...what import model can honestly say that they model for someone because they want to make THEM look good...i suppose its a win-win situation...companies get to look good for having hot girls...hot girls get a place to sell shit and meet and greet.

and sometimes you get naked...however nikki cash never got naked...not that i know of anyway...same with lianne lin...im too lazy to think right now...ANYWAY...

i agree import modeling isnt terribly respectable as opposed to other types of modeling but it gives you a chance to socialize...gain a fan base...SCHMOOZE!! its fun...and thats what modeling should be...have fun rather than look like a limp lifeless cucumber in all of your pictures...

to the age thing...16 is young but if you find a crew willing to take you more power to you...but a lot of photographers wont shoot you...i say just take a disposable grab a friend and have some fun hahaha...or yknow...fake id? haha...

You know it! Earlier I mentioned shooting with a model who came up in the Import scene and that she was doing those same cheesy poses for me and it made me laugh! LOL

There is a time and place for everything. These car shows have way too much noise and distracting backgrounds for me to deal with. Someone said that the cover shots for the main magazines are done in the studio. That makes sense!

It's important to be aware of what your purpose as a model is for what ever pictures you're being shot for. The poses done by models around cars may not work at all in other circumstances. That's all!

May 30 05 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Cicada

Indian Wells, California, US

Posted by Cicada: 

the best import models usually end up...

naked.

hahahaha

You feel me on that one?  I used to be in a car club back in 94-98.  We used to have models all over our cars.  They were 18 back then.  Now they expose thier goodies all over the place.

it just seems to be the natual progression...

im not much into it but i know all the big names like tila nguyen, natasha yi, francine dee..etc...at first they were 'import models' and they realize it isnt really a legitimate 'business', i guess...and so they turn to opening their own nude modeling sites...which, i dont have a problem with, but when they say the the import scene is what made them big, it's ridiculous.

what made them big are the teen and preteen boys with their raging hormones who _happen_ to be into the whole import 'culture' not so much for the cars, but for the girls [who, by the way are beautiful and sometimes sweet, though some give off that 'trashy' vibe].

May 30 05 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by jaelee: 
sometimes you get naked...however nikki cash never got naked

True true, but she never made it big time like the models who did get naked.

same with lianne lin

Who's that?

lol

i agree import modeling isnt terribly respectable as opposed to other types of modeling but it gives you a chance to socialize...gain a fan base...SCHMOOZE!! its fun...and thats what modeling should be

You got that right.  It's all about fun.  If you have fun in what you're doing, who cares what everyone else thinks.

[the stoner in me is revealed]

smile

May 30 05 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Tina Lee: 
finallyy, someone who gets it! haha.. kimloan doesnt pose nude either. neither does allaya lee or alexia lei.

But they aren't making any money!

I've shot Alexia.  She's a cool chick, bitchy at first, but cool.

lol

sickkk smile and yeah, were friends and so ill probably see you at a club or something.. cuz i DO have a fake id, and komodo plans on takin me out. haha. what a small world, eh?

Great, teenie bopper talk.

May 30 05 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Cicada: 
im not much into it but i know all the big names like tila nguyen, natasha yi, francine dee..etc...at first they were 'import models' and they realize it isnt really a legitimate 'business', i guess...and so they turn to opening their own nude modeling sites...which, i dont have a problem with, but when they say the the import scene is what made them big, it's ridiculous.

It's true, the import scense did make them big.  No joke!

Oh yeah, it's funny how these models though disappear from the face of the earth after a year or 2.  Some of them are trying to be singers.  Wow!

lol

what made them big are the teen and preteen boys with their raging hormones who _happen_ to be into the whole import 'culture' not so much for the cars, but for the girls [who, by the way are beautiful and sometimes sweet, though some give off that 'trashy' vibe].

Hells yes!!

May 30 05 05:14 pm Link

Model

Tina Lee

San Jose, California, US

Posted by jaelee: 

ahha thats tony for you. whenever my phone rings at 3am i KNOW my screen is about to say komodo. and yeah a shoot would be fUN!! we'll stay in touch till im in sj smile ill be there from june 30-july 6. nice meeting you!

May 30 05 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Cicada

Oh yeah, it's funny how these models though disappear from the face of the earth after a year or 2.  Some of them are trying to be singers.  Wow!

Kaila Yu? rofl.

thats another thing.

though one model i do like [who, i dont think, was ever an import model but more of a glamour/pinup/fetish, but has the import model look] is Masuimi Max. she's gorgeous. tongue

May 30 05 05:16 pm Link

Model

Tina Lee

San Jose, California, US

Posted by Tina Lee: 

lol

sickkk smile and yeah, were friends and so ill probably see you at a club or something.. cuz i DO have a fake id, and komodo plans on takin me out. haha. what a small world, eh?

its your life mission to have something to say to EVERYTHING i say. you literally sit there and update after my every last word. i have reason, cuz hello, this is my thread. how tight do you feel arguing over the internet with a "teenie bopper". you can stop anytime now smile

May 30 05 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Cicada

https://www.lazyfuck.net/images/smilies/rofl.gif

May 30 05 05:18 pm Link

Model

jaelee

San Jose, California, US

im not a teeny bopper goddammit...nineteen...but i can assure you i am no teeny bopper ;3

yknow i agree that some import models are a bit limp in front of the camera...but i swear to god ill set your camera on fire hahaha...

man how you gonna tell me nikki cash wasnt big...the girl was blown the hell up a couple years ago...then again she kinda trailed off...the import scene is fickle...always will be because the slobbering crowds will always be feening for something fresh...something new...something with bigger tits.

but i can imagine it being a damn good couple of years.

May 30 05 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Tina Lee: 

lol

Yep!  LOL 

I know Sara, the model and owner of AsianDime.com is in your area. She is a sweet heart, but she is having to work other jobs because she wont go nude, and she is not useing her website to it's fullest possiblities.  I respect her very much and don't want to see her do nudes if that is not what she is about. But what she makes doing the Import car shows, and running a website by herself is not good enough to provide a primary income for her.

The fact that Sara has such a HOT domain name, I think she could really do better income if she were to promote it more. She was burned by a nasty webmaster, so she is rather sensitive to working with others.  "Damn webmasters!" LOL

May 30 05 05:22 pm Link

Model

jaelee

San Jose, California, US

ok you want teeny bopper talk??

so i was at this party last night...and dude my friend was not feelin so well...a lil too much green and alkie...so he walks over a couple feet to the left and pukes...making THE most horrid sounds ive ever heard...

and he comes back all smiley....we see our friend's dog walk by...head STRAIGHT towards the vomit...and start....eating...it... HAH...we didnt tell our friend til this morning...smile teehee

May 30 05 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by jaelee: 
im not a teeny bopper goddammit...nineteen...but i can assure you i am no teeny bopper ;3

yknow i agree that some import models are a bit limp in front of the camera...but i swear to god ill set your camera on fire hahaha...

man how you gonna tell me nikki cash wasnt big...the girl was blown the hell up a couple years ago...then again she kinda trailed off...the import scene is fickle...always will be because the slobbering crowds will always be feening for something fresh...something new...something with bigger tits.

but i can imagine it being a damn good couple of years.

Saw your pictures! It is NO lie! You could set a camera on fire no problem! wink

The Import scene IS fickle ... for some reason I thought Nikki Cash had posed nude. Or at least topless? But another problem is once you've exposed everything, there is no more mystery and the guys move on to the next fresh meat! What a pain us guys are! We drive you women crazy being that way!  LOL

May 30 05 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by jaelee: 

so i was at this party last night...and dude my friend was not feelin so well...a lil too much green and alkie...so he walks over a couple feet to the left and pukes...making THE most horrid sounds ive ever heard...

and he comes back all smiley....we see our friend's dog walk by...head STRAIGHT towards the vomit...and start....eating...it... HAH...we didnt tell our friend til this morning...smile teehee

That is sick and disgusting! Damn! and here I just said you could set my camera on fire?  Well if we were ever to hook up and shoot, don't go telling me stories like that or I wont be feeling it ... LOL

"green vomit ... " excuse me while I go throw up! ROFLMAO!  I'll try not to roll in it!

May 30 05 05:32 pm Link

Model

jaelee

San Jose, California, US

no man you can roll in it all you want just dont let your dogs near it...

May 30 05 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Cicada

Posted by jaelee: 
the import scene is fickle...always will be because the slobbering crowds will always be feening for something fresh...something new...something with bigger tits.

That is _exactly_ it.

May 30 05 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Tina Lee: 
and a $2 entrance fee car show/barbeque at the park is NOT what im talking about. why dont you guys check into it before you think you have a clue.

As I said, what do I know. I've only put one together. And the reliant center, LA Convention center are nice parks.

The fact that Sara has such a HOT domain name, I think she could really do better income if she were to promote it more. She was burned by a nasty webmaster, so she is rather sensitive to working with others.  "Damn webmasters!" LOL

Patrick, ask her to hit me up. I'll tell her what I know about marketing her site and see if she does it that she can't bulk up her money. There is no reason that girl isn't doing as well as she would like to with her site.

Posted by jaelee: 

I have a halon fire supression system on my camera so bring it on! LOL And if that don't work the insurance will cover it. =o)

May 30 05 06:09 pm Link

Model

jaelee

San Jose, California, US

*blank stare*

May 30 05 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

OK, not going to read this thread past the first post so take this for what it's worth.

I tlove how this whole "Import Modeling Scene" has come about as if it's a completely seperate type of modeling from anything else. Why is it anythine different from being a model at any other car show or boat show or hell plumbing supply show. It's all Trade show modeling and it's been around for a long time. If a model thinks she's is special by throwing in the phrase "I'm an Import Model" I'm not impressed and that same girl can make the same money modeling for the anti plumbers crack booth at the local plumbing show.

OK just my 2 cents worth

May 30 05 06:45 pm Link

Model

Tina Lee

San Jose, California, US

its not just about what you have to do as work. i personally LOVE modeling car shows because im also into cars.

ill say it again, this thread isnt for haters. just for people trying to meet other people involved in the scene. so stfu, thanks smile

May 30 05 06:50 pm Link

Model

A Cristina

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

wow..the maturity level on all sides has definatly gone up
Does anyone know about the import scene in philly?
How would i get into it out here?
Aprille

May 30 05 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Posted by Tina Lee: 
ill say it again, this thread isnt for haters.

If this comment is pointed at my comments then I would love to point out that I have not said anything of hatred in my post I just pointed out that the term "Import Model" is really a trade show model. If you like that style of trade show modeling then good for you. But Modeling for a Import car show is nothing more important or special then modeling for the American car shows or Bike shows or the Maytag dishwasher show.

May 30 05 07:07 pm Link

Model

Tina Lee

San Jose, California, US

Posted by Aprille: 
wow..the maturity level on all sides has definatly gone up
Does anyone know about the import scene in philly?
How would i get into it out here?
Aprille

www.hotimportnights.com
im not sure if philly hin has passed, but im pretty sure they have shows out there. contact local auto-body shops that have spots there, hotimportnights themself, and anyone else that would be featured there and tell them youre interested in modeling.

May 30 05 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Robb Radford: 
OK, not going to read this thread past the first post so take this for what it's worth.

I tlove how this whole "Import Modeling Scene" has come about as if it's a completely seperate type of modeling from anything else. Why is it anythine different from being a model at any other car show or boat show or hell plumbing supply show. It's all Trade show modeling and it's been around for a long time. If a model thinks she's is special by throwing in the phrase "I'm an Import Model" I'm not impressed and that same girl can make the same money modeling for the anti plumbers crack booth at the local plumbing show.

OK just my 2 cents worth

There are some differences between promotion of cars vs. say a Maytag appliance show. You find publications devoted to cars from way back. Cars always have a following while washing machines are just not that sexy!  So while doing a trade show for Homes and Gardens may have sexy female model bouncing around the spin cycles of the latest washing machines ... there is a lot more money in promotion of cars! Also the models get involved in being photographed for these car magazines while signing and selling their images at the events. There is a difference!

May 30 05 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by jaelee: 

I wasn't talking to you!

lol

know i agree that some import models are a bit limp in front of the camera...but i swear to god ill set your camera on fire hahaha

Fo sho!

how you gonna tell me nikki cash wasnt big...the girl was blown the hell up a couple years ago...then again she kinda trailed off

She was big, in the import scene that is.

the import scene is fickle...always will be because the slobbering crowds will always be feening for something fresh...something new...something with bigger tits.

Hells yes!!

i can imagine it being a damn good couple of years.

The import scene had its time.  No body drives rice rockets anymore.  Didn't you know?  It's all about street bikes now.

lol

What the heck?!  lmao

May 30 05 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Cicada: 
Kaila Yu? rofl.

I went to her CD release party back in 2001.  Oh man, lol.

thats another thing.

Tila sings now too!

though one model i do like [who, i dont think, was ever an import model but more of a glamour/pinup/fetish, but has the import model look] is Masuimi Max. she's gorgeous. tongue

Hells yeah she is.  She's great!!

May 30 05 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

I know Sara, the model and owner of AsianDime.com is in your area. She is a sweet heart, but she is having to work other jobs because she wont go nude, and she is not useing her website to it's fullest possiblities.  I respect her very much and don't want to see her do nudes if that is not what she is about. But what she makes doing the Import car shows, and running a website by herself is not good enough to provide a primary income for her.

Sara Brinsfield is limp.

lol

May 30 05 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Ryan

Glendale, California, US

Alot of import models are feature go-go dancers at clubs. I know that Mia Guzman and Sasha Singleton dance almost every weekend and make pretty good money. Tina will be 17 next month and thats the same age that Christine Mendoza shot for the cover of Import Tuner Magazine. I used a photo from my shoot with Christine as part of my banner at my ModelMayhem page.

May 30 05 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

There are some differences between promotion of cars vs. say a Maytag appliance show. 

You missed my point. The point is it doesn't matter the product it's all tradeshow model or Spokesmodel. And as far as getting photographed for magazines and so on the same happens with the other products but the trade mags for those products are lesser known. You also don't here the girls at bike shows going I'm a Biker Model. Though that could be a scary term to use lol.

May 30 05 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Robb Radford: 

There are some differences between promotion of cars vs. say a Maytag appliance show. 

You missed my point. The point is it doesn't matter the product it's all tradeshow model or Spokesmodel. And as far as getting photographed for magazines and so on the same happens with the other products but the trade mags for those products are lesser known. You also don't here the girls at bike shows going I'm a Biker Model. Though that could be a scary term to use lol.

"I'm a biker girl!"  DAMN!  OK I get your point! LOL

Who in here wants to be a Maytag Washing machine Model? LOL

May 30 05 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Who in here wants to be a Maytag Washing machine Model? LOL

Sorry but they may like the spin cycle lol I shouldn't have gone there with this one lol

May 30 05 07:51 pm Link

Model

Myla Chenoa

Phoenix, Arizona, US

You're saying it's "trashy" and they end up "naked" among all your other put downs of import models and the import scene.

And all the Playboy girls you've shot are what? I'm not going to lower myself to your standards and call any models trashy, but they're definitely naked. So I'm not quite sure how you can be standing on a soapbox right now about nudity. And yeah, those playmates sign contracts for 2 or 3 years to PROMOTE playboy i.e. run around half naked - naked at the mansion parties, Howard Stern, etc as promotion models for Playboy. And then, yeah they end up with paysites when the contracts are done.

But for another parallel, there's always Budweiser girls ("Budweiser" just being an -insert big alcohol company known for their sexy promo models here- example name) who start out as big promo girls and end up naked.

But Playboy and big alcohol promotion models are primarily Caucasian. I think that's the real issue here.

And you're all going to jump up and immediately say you're not racist or prejudice. But if that were the case, then explain to me how you can make fun of the import scene but not make fun of the Playboy scene, Maxim scene, Girls Gone Wild scene, etc - the primarily Caucasian promo modeling scenes.

May 30 05 07:52 pm Link