Forums > General Industry > Ever been amazed by....

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I know I used to get it all the time when I would meet models for the first time; They would tell me that they thought I was some old head white dude.

I never really thought much of it, but something clicked in my head not too long ago that made me think, hmmmm that statement could be misunderstood to be a hidden prejudice. I'm not saying that the models who told me that are prejudice, it's just that is almost an insult to me personally; when someone says that. I still get it, because this is the only forum that has my flyer up.

Yeah, I'm a little ghetto, a lil gangsta and I have to admit, I'm not a businessman; I'm a Business - Maaaan! If I had a dollar for every model that I shot that didn't look like her images, I could buy something with a V12 in it.

I don't hear; "I thought you were an old white dude." I hear; "Young black dudes are not supposed to be this good!" Ever been amazed by.... your hidden or what you thought were non-existant prejudices? I am amazed by it every day.

Holla

Jun 20 05 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

EMG, you are a black Dude?
I must be color blind! :-)

Let me tell you something about a friend of mine.
You will love this one.

When I was in Junior high school, I had a friend that was an incredible artist.
He could draw things so life like you felt you could step into them.
His name was Leroy Sass.
There was art contest (btw - 1979 VA.) where he submitted his drawings.
He won first place.
When they were doing the awards ceremony, there were 10 white boys, they called leroy for first place, he walked up and you could hear a pin drop.
They just do not expect it for some reason.

Jun 20 05 11:17 am Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

EMG....don't take this the wrong way!  BUT....I really could care less what you look like.  I look at your work...I like it.  I think your work is great.  Your very talented.  That is really all that matters.  Photographers looks or the color of their skin don't mean shit to me in this business.  It is about producing good quality images.  Nothing more and nothing less.  Lots of love to ya!

McKenzie

Jun 20 05 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Well, my grandfather had a similar problem in the air force...  His name was George Washington Harris.. When his name was called, everyone looked around for the black guy, however my grandfather was a standard issue pasty white guy... 

It's kinda like profiling by voices.. I shot this couple and had only spoken to the guy on the phone. Thought for sure it was a white guy.. WRONG!!  Not that it matter because they were an awesome couple.. Mixed to boot..

As McKenzie said, colour, race, religion do not matter, it's all about the product you produce and the person you are.. If people can't accept that, take their money and let them live with their shortcommings...

Jun 20 05 11:33 am Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 

I don't hear; "I thought you were an old white dude." I hear; "Young black dudes are not supposed to be this good!" Ever been amazed by.... your hidden or what you thought were non-existant prejudices? I am amazed by it every day.

Holla

Honestly I assume that most of the photographers who contact me are older white men simply because most of the photographers I have worked with are just that. I really don't care what a photographer looks like, as long as they know what they are doing. I had a photographer set up a shoot with me and after we set it up I found out it was a woman. I was surprised but also excited because I haven't worked with many female photographers.
I don't think those models said that to you because they we amazed a young black guy could do great work. They probably are also just used to working with certain types of people and just assume that most photographers are old white men.

Jun 20 05 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 

Yeah, I'm a little ghetto, a lil gangsta and I have to admit, I'm not a businessman; I'm a Business - Maaaan! ....

Holla

Well, you certainly sound like an old white dude.  I can totally understand the confusion.

Hollar at you, boy!

Jun 20 05 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 
I know I used to get it all the time when I would meet models for the first time; They would tell me that they thought I was some old head white dude.

When I meet models for the first time and I've spoke to them over the phone, they picture me a tall white dude with spiky hair.

When I picture photographers, I picture old fat white dudes who look like plumbers.

When I picture models, I usually close my eyes and imagine Pam Anderson or Angelina Jolie.

Jun 20 05 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 

I have had models say the SAME THING to me.

I hear, "I thought you were an old fat dude." And they add, "But you're young and cute."

Jun 20 05 04:03 pm Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

EMG your work is incredible. Let your credentials speak for themselves...they speak VOLUMES!

Jun 20 05 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

I'm an African American male.  Some years ago, I used to frequently hire this young white female as my assistant for location corporate shoots.  Many was the occasion, upon entering corporate facilities, when the security guards, receptionists, etc., assumed that she was the photographer and I was the assistant and acted as though I were practically invisible.

Then there are those models, with whom I've arranged shoots via email and telephone, whose jaws drop when they first meet me.  It's like "HE took those photos?"

As a baby boomer whose family hails from the South, I can practically write the book about prejudice.  Today's twentysomethings and thirtysomethings don't know how good they have it.

Jun 20 05 06:04 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Posted by Herb Way: 
I'm an African American male.  Some years ago, I used to frequently hire this young white female as my assistant for location corporate shoots.  Many was the occasion, upon entering corporate facilities, when the security guards, receptionists, etc., assumed that she was the photographer and I was the assistant and acted as though I were practically invisible.

Then there are those models, with whom I've arranged shoots via email and telephone, whose jaws drop when they first meet me.  It's like "HE took those photos?"

As a baby boomer whose family hails from the South, I can practically write the book about prejudice.  Today's twentysomethings and thirtysomethings don't know how good they have it.

Herb I hear you loud and clear...in some sectors  much has not changed....unfortunately

Jun 20 05 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Thanks, EMG, for starting this thread.  Hopefully, it won't devolve into nonsense the way so many MM threads do.

By the way, I'm NOT ghetto and I don't try to front.

Jun 20 05 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

London, England, United Kingdom

Posted by aye provide: 

Posted by Herb Way: 

Herb I hear you loud and clear...in some sectors  much has not changed....unfortunately

my assistants ALWAYS get mistaken for the photographer(thats ME by the way) by new models, MUAs, clients ecc.
In fact it got so bad i "bought" a photographers uniform.... black leather jacket, dirty once was white t shirt with "screw the system" written on it,ripped jeans and steel tipped cowboyboots.
Never had the guts to use it though because i realised long ago that predjudiced people are the scared gate keepers to respectability whether you are white black or green somebody somewhere is not going to like you.
Predjudice dissapears when people think that they can make money with you so just show them what a great photographer you are and dont worry about your own "image"

Jun 20 05 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

George Butler

Marietta, Georgia, US

To the folks that matter, your work speaks for itself. It is unfortunate that some 60 years later after Gordon Parks showed the artistry of an Afrin American Photographer that we still are subject to the ignorance of the simple minded folks.

Jun 20 05 06:33 pm Link

Model

Marllee

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

I assume any photographer I meet will be an old white guy because that's just the stereotype I have in my head. So any deviation from that will leave me with about a one second "you're not what I expected" reaction.

I don't see how that's a problem unless they were to say "I thought you were an old white dude. There's no way i'm gonna work with a dumbass black guy." If that were the case then yeah i'd be amazed at how stupid they are.

Jun 20 05 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

I thought you would be Bigger!! (:---

Jun 20 05 08:01 pm Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by Herb Way: 
Thanks, EMG, for starting this thread.  Hopefully, it won't devolve into nonsense the way so many MM threads do.

Oh yes, there are so many of those. I'm glad this one has remained "hater" free :0 )

Jun 20 05 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

This thread leaves me wondering where the 'old' starts, as in 'old, white' guy. I'm a white guy, but hopefully not old yet.

For some reason, it's mostly African-American and Hispanic models on OMP who request a shoot with me, which often leaves me wondering who they expect to see when they first meet me. Before this thread, I never realized that models mostly expect 'old, white guys.'

And EMG, I love your images, as you may recall from me asking you for some tips after we both attended Sonny's Summer Time shoot last year on the Jersey shore. You got a special touch. Keep shooting!

Jun 20 05 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

John Swoger

Peoria, Arizona, US

Stereotyping is nothing more then being closed minded. Like saying all so and so people are lazy or all so and so people are smart. Nothing in life is ever that simple.

I used to picture all great photographers as these cool good looking dudes, boy was I wrong, most are fat old white dudes like me (working on just being an old white dude minus the chub)......LOL

Jun 20 05 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

George Butler

Marietta, Georgia, US

I found the entry in the Bio of Gordon Parks, though it was appropriate to this post.

1944- Parks pursues fashion photography, and despite racism in the fashion business he is hired at Vogue Magazine.

http://www.temple.edu/photo/photographe … /biol.html

Jun 21 05 02:39 am Link

Model

Valerie Rose

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

I don't want to hear it. I don't care what your skin color is... it is about the persons art. I certainly don't want to hear whining about people being "racist" it is gets old. seriously.

Jun 21 05 02:45 am Link

Photographer

George Butler

Marietta, Georgia, US

Posted by Chelsea: 
I don't want to hear it. I don't care what your skin color is... it is about the persons art. I certainly don't want to hear whining about people being "racist" it is gets old. seriously. 

It is always interesting to hear someone comment about what they are not subjected to.

Jun 21 05 02:52 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 

Perceptions. Easier said than done, but you gotta try and manage 'em before it gets the best of you.

Jun 21 05 02:56 am Link

Model

Valerie Rose

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

Posted by George Butler: 

Posted by Chelsea: 

It is always interesting to hear someone comment about what they are not subjected to.

please... shut up. ok?

Jun 21 05 03:16 am Link

Photographer

George Butler

Marietta, Georgia, US

Posted by Chelsea: 

Posted by George Butler: 

Posted by Chelsea: 

please... shut up. ok?

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 - 1968),

Jun 21 05 03:27 am Link

Model

Alexandra Paris

Portland, Arkansas, US

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 

I never really thought much of it, but something clicked in my head not too long ago that made me think, hmmmm that statement could be misunderstood to be a hidden prejudice. I'm not saying that the models who told me that are prejudice, it's just that is almost an insult to me personally; when someone says that. I still get it, because this is the only forum that has my flyer up.

Yeah, I'm a little ghetto, a lil gangsta and I have to admit, I'm not a businessman; I'm a Business - Maaaan! If I had a dollar for every model that I shot that didn't look like her images, I could buy something with a V12 in it.

Holla

Hell, there was one time I shot with a guy who sounded like Hank Hill (from King Of The Hill) over the phone and before we met in person, I had this image of a propane salesman from Texas in my head.

[img] http://img134.echo.cx/img134/7407/hank6by.gif [/img]

But when I met him in person he looked nothing like what I pictured. He was in his 50's and very good looking man at that. So it goes to show that even pre-concieved notions could be wrong until you meet the person face to face.

Jun 21 05 03:49 am Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Posted by Chelsea: 

I sure wish I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say "I don't care about your skin color" when they, in fact, did.  That's one thing that's gotten old.  Why is it that you view legitimate expression of concern as whining?  If you don't want to hear it, don't continue reading this thread.  Like it or not, bigotry/discrimination/racism is part of the fabric of this society.  It's denial like you appear to be expressing that has gotten old.  Using the word "whining" has gotten old.

Jun 21 05 03:39 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Posted by George Butler: 

Posted by Chelsea: 

Bless your soul Sir.....

Jun 21 05 03:51 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Posted by Herb Way: 

Posted by Chelsea: 

I sure wish I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say "I don't care about your skin color" when they, in fact, did.  That's one thing that's gotten old.  Why is it that you view legitimate expression of concern as whining?  If you don't want to hear it, don't continue reading this thread.  Like it or not, bigotry/discrimination/racism is part of the fabric of this society.  It's denial like you appear to be expressing that has gotten old.  Using the word "whining" has gotten old.

When you have people still being brutalized due to skin color( Anyone remember the poor guy attached to the TX pick up truck?? )or being denied employment for the same reason the topic is not old. Ms Chelsea if do not wish to hear the whining  I do believe the manor house is open and serving mint julips.

Jun 21 05 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Herb Way: 

Posted by Chelsea: 

experience has taught me that when someone says "I don't care what your skin color is," it means they ABSOLUTELY care what your skin color is.  At the very least it means "whew, I sure am glad I'm white."  I'm at the point now where I don't even get angry about this sort of thing, because people have been saying it so long they don't even know what they sound like...they can no longer hear their own words.  Sad but true.

Jun 21 05 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Posted by Chelsea: 

It's not that simple.  Being involved in the arts, you ought to know better than that.

Jun 21 05 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Posted by Chelsea: 
I don't want to hear it.

That seems pretty clear.  Change the channel then.

Posted by Chelsea: 
I don't care what your skin color is... it is about the persons art.

Just out of curiousity, how do you handle artwork that is about race?

Posted by Chelsea:
I certainly don't want to hear whining about people being "racist"

There is a difference between observing and discussing vs. whining.  People tend to whine when they feel powerless.  I didn't detect anyone discussing race on this thread that appeared to be powerless.

Posted by Chelsea:
it is gets old. seriously. 

Okay I said this before on the out and proud thread, I've said it to people in real life...but as tiresome as having must be, having to "hear" about race, racism, imagine how tiresome it is having to "deal" with it.

Usually the folks whining about people whining about race, are the folks who have the privilege to change the channel and ignore it.

Jun 21 05 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Posted by aye provide: 

Posted by Herb Way: 

Posted by Chelsea: 

When you have people still being brutalized due to skin color( Anyone remember the poor guy attached to the TX pick up truck?? )or being denied employment for the same reason the topic is not old. Ms Chelsea if do not wish to hear the whining  I do believe the manor house is open and serving mint julips.

Hey...that's MISS Chelsea to you [and me]...we really need to learn how to address our betters properly when we visit the Big House.

Jun 21 05 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Posted by Melvin Moten Jr: 

Posted by aye provide: 

Posted by Herb Way: 

Posted by Chelsea: 

Hey...that's MISS Chelsea to you [and me]...we really need to learn how to address our betters properly when we visit the Big House.

Sho' nuff!  Let's remember our places and how to shuffle.

Jun 21 05 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Rising Moon Photography

Bowie, Maryland, US

There was another thread where someone said why don't photographers post pics of themselves and that it would be a good idea.  I gaurantee you if photogs did that, choosing to work with that photographer would no longer be based on his or her work.  Your thoughts?

Jun 21 05 05:26 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Posted by Melvin Moten Jr: 

Posted by aye provide: 

Posted by Herb Way: 

Posted by Chelsea: 

Oh damn  I be POWERFUL sorry Ma'am {{{shuffle shuffle}}}}
:::aye will be getting an ass beating tonight:::

Jun 21 05 05:34 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Posted by Rising Moon Photography: 
There was another thread where someone said why don't photographers post pics of themselves and that it would be a good idea.  I gaurantee you if photogs did that, choosing to work with that photographer would no longer be based on his or her work.  Your thoughts?

You darn tootin' judgements would change.  Much of what we as humans elect to do is based on perception.  Not always the standad but let's be real  we tend to choose what we see.

Jun 21 05 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 

Holla

I am not concerned with being mistaken for a white haired old guy. I am concerned with not being taken for a psychotic who just wants to lay and take advantage of young models.

I am serious about my photography even if no one else is.....or wants to be

Jun 21 05 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Posted by Rising Moon Photography: 

You're right on point. 

Well, the word's out on me.  I can't pass anymore.  LOL

Jun 21 05 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

George Butler

Marietta, Georgia, US

Posted by aye provide: 

Posted by George Butler: 

Posted by Chelsea: 

Bless your soul Sir.....

Another quote brother Martin had;

"A man that doesn't stand for something will lay down for anything" Matin Luther King Jr.

I'm glad so many other's saw the ignorance of her comment.

Jun 21 05 06:14 pm Link