Forums > Contests > Picture of the Day Discussion Center.

Photographer

Ali Mere

London, England, United Kingdom

Pixel Poetry wrote:
That picture is already up to 12 votes and it doesn't even have a proper white balance, the contest isn't over but that same picture has already been submitted for tomorrows contest.

this is so pathetic just like that cheap photo with poor photographic knowledge.

The question is, what do you do! every respectable photographer to boycott the contest?..well there are very good photographers who are doing the same vote stacking!! maybe contest somewhere else sounds like a better Idea..

Mar 16 11 05:27 am Link

Photographer

Billy G Photography

Cape May, New Jersey, US

it's just sad if you ask me!!!

Mar 16 11 05:31 am Link

Photographer

David Simonson

Wailuku, Hawaii, US

31 votes now for this...

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/353259

Seriously?  WTF!!

And always the others contenders are studio headshots.

When you want to win the POD... simply ask a bunch of people to vote for you and always shoot a headshot in a studio.  Either one seems to work 99% of the time.

And i agree with Billy G..  This is SAD!

Billy G Photography wrote:
it's just sad if you ask me!!!

Mar 16 11 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Ali Mere

David Simonson wrote:
31 votes now for this...

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/353259

Seriously?  WTF!!

And always the others contenders are studio headshots.

When you want to win the POD... simply ask a bunch of people to vote for you and always shoot a headshot in a studio.  Either one seems to work 99% of the time.

And i agree with Billy G..  This is SAD!

maybe we're just idiots and can't see the hidden beauty ad design of it!!
it's art is way out there..maybe I should smoke a spliff and try to reach and appreciate!

Mar 16 11 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Pixel Poetry wrote:
That picture is already up to 12 votes and it doesn't even have a proper white balance

Technical knowledge/perfection are not 'keys' to do well in both POTD and 18+ POTD.

Mar 16 11 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Now you guys got me into looking at the POTD for today's. Again, my earlier post of the 'keys' to do well hold true. Well, except for the mustang photo. I have no answer for that?

Mar 16 11 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

David Simonson

Wailuku, Hawaii, US

Possibly...

-Solicitation of votes
-Pity

Chuckarelei wrote:
Now you guys got me into looking at the POTD for today's. Again, my earlier post of the 'keys' to do well hold true. Well, except for the mustang photo. I have no answer for that?

Mar 17 11 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

There are a couple entries in today's (Thursday) contest which I think they are complete photographs. From concept, to styling, technical challenge to execution are just excellent. Perfect in my eyes. Let's see how those two do? Again, they are not what I posted earlier with the "keys" to do well.

Mar 17 11 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Billy G Photography

Cape May, New Jersey, US

David Simonson wrote:
Possibly...

-Solicitation of votes
-Pity

Yes,  In the past I have gotten messages, after they have left a comment on one of my Images... to vote in the POD contest for their pic, I was in the same contest....LOL... No, I did not report it, for me this was an observation of the contest and to see if their Image was removed, because I'm sure I was not the only one solicited.. Don't get me wrong there are some awesome images being submitted, but it's a popularity contest... Mostly images with High end retouching, mostly... There are a lot of things to consider, size of thumbnail, color and place in the contest lineup, by the time you get to the bottom images votes were made.. vote stacking is done off this site with blogs and so on... I voted in the contest and checked in threw out the day, and from Midnight Eastern time, to the morning, there have been dramatic changes in the votes... This was in the past, but whenever I check out the forums it's still the conversation... ummm.. But, It will not change I'm sure.. This is from MY observation!

Mar 17 11 06:34 am Link

Photographer

David Sutphin

Denver, Colorado, US

I've entered a few times and think there's some merit to at least putting something out there. I work more on the basis that if I can get even more than 1 vote :-) then somebody noticed it. And I figure if any photographer can get 3, 4, or 5 votes without any solicitations, then you're on the right track. And just maybe you can enter something on a day when those "select" few individuals and their posses are gone for the day... well who knows!

I think the idea of removing the vote stats for the current day is great. Don't think it will change the "winner's circle", but it might make for some interesting numbers after the fact!

I really think there should be some limit on how many times or how often a past winner can enter.

Don't know if it's possible to have a contest that will satisfy us all but I will probably keep entering and chipping away at getting better. Maybe even 10 votes one day!!

Mar 17 11 09:06 am Link

Photographer

David Sutphin

Denver, Colorado, US

Hi JoJo,

You do a marvelous job moderating this. I could never do it and not keep my cool without seriously heavy medication.

Curious how much one has to alter an image so it can be entered every day or so. Seems to me there is a fair amount of this that happens. I'm guessing the images are slightly modified. The question is how much in enough.

I want to play by the rules. I just don't want to be the only stupid guy out there taking the 15 day thing too literally.

Thanks

Mar 17 11 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Billy G Photography

Cape May, New Jersey, US

JoJo does a stand up job on both contest... And yes she puts up with a lot of flack, to say the least... Thanks JoJo

Mar 17 11 09:40 am Link

Photographer

David Simonson

Wailuku, Hawaii, US

Very well said David!

Yes, I agree.  If you can be in the contest, NOT solicit votes, and get 5-8 real votes for your image... well then, in my opinion, you are doing great!  I do not ever expect to win the contest.  It seems that many of the winners have a formula and well... I simply will not "assimilate to the Borg" just to win a contest.

It is just a sad commentary that the democratic voting process, right down to a simple photo contest, is flawed and has corruption.  Seems that human nature will always somehow surface above ideals and hopes.

Just like a presidential election, when the news channels are all basically telling voters the tallies and "who is the winner"... it is never good to have the tallies disclosed prematurely in any voting process.  I do wish, and yes hope that, JoJo and the other people that decide things, the "current standings" or "live tallies" will be done-away with at some point.  Clearly, as you pointed out, this will not change the human-nature-factor.  But it would be interesting to see the numbers.

Yah, I think if someone wins the POD like 5 times in a year... well... that is enough.  But I guess it is like blue ribbons at a horse competition... the more you have... the better people think you are.  But I would not want to have them if I did not win them fair and square.... no matter how much prestige and bragging-rights it provides.

Anyway... Any moderator, on this site, does a great job.  I would simply be banishing the people I caught in the act of deceit and deception.  So I guess I would not be right for the job.  My hats off to JoJo and all the others.

However, with that said, I do wish that MM had a "3 strike" policy on people that clearly, and negligently, do not play by the rules.

Well, best of luck to ALL that submit in the contest.

At least today has ONE image that is NOT a headshot and was shot outdoors... We will see how it fares.

David Sutphin wrote:
I've entered a few times and think there's some merit to at least putting something out there. I work more on the basis that if I can get even more than 1 vote :-) then somebody noticed it. And I figure if any photographer can get 3, 4, or 5 votes without any solicitations, then you're on the right track. And just maybe you can enter something on a day when those "select" few individuals and their posses are gone for the day... well who knows!

I think the idea of removing the vote stats for the current day is great. Don't think it will change the "winner's circle", but it might make for some interesting numbers after the fact!

I really think there should be some limit on how many times or how often a past winner can enter.

Don't know if it's possible to have a contest that will satisfy us all but I will probably keep entering and chipping away at getting better. Maybe even 10 votes one day!!

Mar 17 11 10:11 am Link

Photographer

David Simonson

Wailuku, Hawaii, US

Oh... and T R Willmitch does a great job as well!  Since JoJo seems to get mentioned a lot here.  Thought I would add that (and not for ass-kissing purposes either!) since he is clearly the moderator for the POD (under 18) contest.

Billy G Photography wrote:
JoJo does a stand up job on both contest... And yes she puts up with a lot of flack, to say the least... Thanks JoJo

Mar 17 11 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Billy G Photography

Cape May, New Jersey, US

David Simonson wrote:
Oh... and T R Willmitch does a great job as well!  Since JoJo seems to get mentioned a lot here.  Thought I would add that (and not for ass-kissing purposes either!) since he is clearly the moderator for the POD (under 18) contest.

sorry about that! I only have dealt with jojo on both, maybe she was filling in. Thanks T R

Mar 17 11 11:42 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

David Simonson wrote:

Actually T R Willmitch runs the original PotD (the thread based contest https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=541610 ) and does a bang-up job.

I run the system wide PotD and the PotD18+.

Tom and I help each other out when one of us need a night off wink

Mar 17 11 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
There are a couple entries in today's (Thursday) contest which I think they are complete photographs. From concept, to styling, technical challenge to execution are just excellent. Perfect in my eyes. Let's see how those two do? Again, they are not what I posted earlier with the "keys" to do well.

One of them is doing quite well now. I hope it wins. It got my vote as well as another fellow POTD critique here. If it does, we will for once have a photo that wins with all aspects of the total photography package, concept, design, styling, lighting, aesthetic, techniques, computer enhancement, everything and all.

If it doesn't win, let's have a riot.

Mar 17 11 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

David Simonson

Wailuku, Hawaii, US

Ahhh... I was just going by what the "front door" of the forum said.  Thanks for clarifying.

Wow... you need help!  That is a lot to handle.  Kudos to you!

JoJo wrote:

Actually T R Willmitch runs the original PotD (the thread based contest https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=541610 ) and does a bang-up job.

I run the system wide PotD and the PotD18+.

Tom and I help each other out when one of us need a night off wink

Mar 17 11 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Nyotaimori Experience

Beverly Hills, California, US

I'm baffled why my photograph didn't make it to voting page????

Mar 17 11 07:13 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Naked Sushi King wrote:
I'm baffled why my photograph didn't make it to voting page????

Disqualified
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/potd/ent … 23-big.jpg
this is an 18+ image

Mar 17 11 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Ali Mere

JoJo wrote:

Disqualified
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/potd/ent … 23-big.jpg
this is an 18+ image

maybe true but it has a lot more class than the winner if you ask me

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/353641

this is should have been the winner hands down in my opinion

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/353515

Mar 18 11 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

It's a shame that the best photo doesn't win again on Thursday. In previous posts I was talking about how complete this one photo is, a total package.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/353424

Now that I get to see who is the creator of the image, it just confirms my thought. The artist also happens to be one in my favorite list, one I admire and study in the past 2 years. And no doubt many would agree with me that he is one of the top tiered photographer here on Mayhem.

Shame, ridiculous, joke, mind boggling, wtf, geez...

Mar 18 11 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Ali Mere

Chuckarelei wrote:
It's a shame that the best photo doesn't win again on Thursday. In previous posts I was talking about how complete this one photo is, a total package.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/353424

Now that I get to see who is the creator of the image, it just confirms my thought. The artist also happens to be one in my favorite list, one I admire and study in the past 2 years. And no doubt many would agree with me that he is one of the top tiered photographer here on Mayhem.

Shame, ridiculous, joke, mind boggling, wtf, geez...

you know I actually votes for that photo..but at the same time I don't think it deserves to win (this particular contest) not the winner deserves to win either but the reason being its so photoshoped that its not a photo any more..I like it a lot and voted for it but it ain't a photo smile

Mar 18 11 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

David Simonson

Wailuku, Hawaii, US

Although that photo/picture is an amazing display of skill and artistic talent with Photoshop... it is NOT a "photograph".  It is a marvelous "digital creation".  Or if you wanna call it... "Digital Art".  But it is clearly so far-removed from the origins of a photograph.

I would use Webster's Dictionary to quote the meaning of a photograph... but I am sure there would be those that argue that Webster's is not up to date...  so I will pull the quote from Wikipedia...

Photography is the art, science, and practice of creating still pictures by recording radiation on a radiation-sensitive medium, such as a photographic film, or electronic image sensors.

This is the problem with the current way the contest is on MM.  There is no way for Digital Artists, or as some call them "Photoshop Wizards", to get recognition for their "Creative Digital Art of the Day".  There should even be a "Makeup Artistry of the Day" contest and award too.  But I guess then you would have to have +18 versions of each too!  Oh well... it is what it is for now.

Not related to the above, but I simply want to keep repeating it, is... What I will keep WISHING and HOPING is that MM will STOP showing the live-tallies of votes and simply make the winner known at the end of the contest.  Show all the votes AFTER the contest is over!  How freakin' hard is this to do/try?

It would not change everything... but it would certainly be interesting to see how it could influence the outcome of the winning/top voted on entries.

Ali Mere wrote:

you know I actually votes for that photo..but at the same time I don't think it deserves to win (this particular contest) not the winner deserves to win either but the reason being its so photoshoped that its not a photo any more..I like it a lot and voted for it but it ain't a photo smile

Mar 18 11 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Lets' not start parsing the word photography. If we pick on every little meaning of word, I can throw out every single one of the photograph there as none of them contains the original photography definition. The obvious is there is no silver halide.  ???   smile  Every digital image is already processed before you see it on the preview.

As I said earlier, the Scott's photo is a total package; from concept to the final execution of the presentation, it involves every bit of modern photography tools and resources.

As far as the digital manipulation of Scott's piece, if you look around here, there are so many horrible digital background just got thrown in there without the confining the law of physics. A complete piece is where the details reveal how excellent the work is. Ever seem those shots of a mermaid under the water where her hair is all straight down nice and neat? The hair should be in in a gravity free flow form under the water, not looking like just coming out of a salon with a perm.

Mar 18 11 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

David Simonson

Wailuku, Hawaii, US

Hmmmm... I will refrain from too much rebuttal.  We all have our opinions and that is what makes this all fabulous.  And the freedom to voice them.

I was not getting pious about the word "Photography".  But I do feel that when a photograph changes, or is manipulated, adjusted or digitally invented, to become 60% different than what was seen through a camera lens...  it begins heading towards being classified as "digital art".

But I also agree with you on many points.  I suppose I need to realize it is the "Picture" of the Day contest and not the "Photograph" of the Day contest.  smile

There is an amazing amount of insane talent on this site.  Much more talented and creative than I am... for sure!  I suppose with a mix of models, photographers, digital wizards, hair and makeup artists, etc., this is the only way it can be in the contests.

Without specific contests dedicated to each genre this will be the way it is for a while I suppose.

Chuckarelei wrote:
Lets' not start parsing the word photography. If we pick on every little meaning of word, I can throw out every single one of the photograph there as none of them contains the original photography definition. The obvious is there is no silver halide.  ???   smile  Every digital image is already processed before you see it on the preview.

As I said earlier, the Scott's photo is a total package; from concept to the final execution of the presentation, it involves every bit of modern photography tools and resources.

As far as the digital manipulation of Scott's piece, if you look around here, there are so many horrible digital background just got thrown in there without the confining the law of physics. A complete piece is where the details reveal how excellent the work is. Ever seem those shots of a mermaid under the water where her hair is all straight down nice and neat? The hair should be in in a gravity free flow form under the water, not looking like just coming out of a salon with a perm.

Mar 18 11 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

David Simonson

Wailuku, Hawaii, US

Reading your words again... ummmmm...

Actually there are lots of photographs on this site, in many portfolios, that I would qualify as "original photographs".  I think saying "none of them" was a little strong.

Chuckarelei wrote:

Mar 18 11 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

David Simonson wrote:
Hmmmm... I will refrain from too much rebuttal.  We all have our opinions and that is what makes this all fabulous.  And the freedom to voice them.
I was not getting pious about the word "Photography".  But I do feel that when a photograph changes, or is manipulated, adjusted or digitally invented, to become 60% different than what was seen through a camera lens...  it begins heading towards being classified as "digital art".
But I also agree with you on many points.  I suppose I need to realize it is the "Picture" of the Day contest and not the "Photograph" of the Day contest.  smile

very well then.

But do keep in mind, for example with Scott's image. I'm sure sure that's what he had envisioned it when he snapped the photo. With all post work in mind. So it IS part of the image as the picture was taken. Not like you take the photo, and then later decided what background or special effects to by put on it. Am i making sense?

Mar 18 11 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

David Simonson

Wailuku, Hawaii, US

Sense and point made.  smile

Interestingly enough, he does classify his digital creations as "fine art" (his words not mine) and he is, in my opinion, a truly fine, uber-talented artist!  That is for sure!

I suppose the danger of all the digital manipulation in a photograph is that not all people are as talented, and honest with their art, as Scott is. 

Many "others" take what he does as an open-excuse to take it to levels, without any artistic talent, where they alter their images and sadly believe they are actually the one that took the shot.

One of the things that annoys me with many "digital creations" these days... and to be clear I am NOT referring to Scott's work... is that so many people steal images to use as their backgrounds and elements and then they lay claim, and take credit, to the whole creation as "their image".

I think if a a digital manipulation is comprised of every image/element the artist shot or literally had hand drawn or painted (with a mouse, pencil, stylist or brush)... then it can be theirs and they should be recognized by their talent.  But so many are not.  So many have images blended-in from Google image scouring, and other sordid ways, and you know that the artist never shot/created 100% of the content of their digital image.

Scott's work is, simply put, 110% amazing!  I do absolutely admire his fine art talents, creativity, vision and skill.  No doubt or argument about that!!

Chuckarelei wrote:

very well then.

But do keep in mind, for example with Scott's image. I'm sure sure that's what he had envisioned it when he snapped the photo. With all post work in mind. So it IS part of the image as the picture was taken. Not like you take the photo, and then later decided what background or special effects to by put on it. Am i making sense?

Mar 18 11 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

David Sutphin

Denver, Colorado, US

Bump-

David Sutphin wrote:
Curious how much one has to alter an image so it can be entered every day or so. Seems to me there is a fair amount of this that happens. I'm guessing the images are slightly modified. The question is how much in enough.

Mar 18 11 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Ali Mere

Here we go again...

Mar 19 11 04:44 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

David Sutphin wrote:
Bump-

David Sutphin wrote:

Please provide URLs

Mar 20 11 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

David Simonson

Wailuku, Hawaii, US

Hi JoJo, What happened to the Indonesian photographer's image that was in the top winning images today?  It was like a carnival/fiesta photo.  Was it disqualified?

Mar 20 11 04:40 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

David Simonson wrote:
Hi JoJo, What happened to the Indonesian photographer's image that was in the top winning images today?  It was like a carnival/fiesta photo.  Was it disqualified?

Yes, under the 15-day rule.

Mar 20 11 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

David Simonson

Wailuku, Hawaii, US

Wow... OK.  But it was a totally different picture wasn't it?  And wow... there are LOTS of "Under 15 Day" submissions that I catch.  I did not think that was one of them.

Oh well... Just was curious...  Thanks for the info.

JoJo wrote:

Mar 20 11 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

David Simonson

Wailuku, Hawaii, US

Oh... and by the way... I would NOT want to be the one to have the "photographic memory" to check back for 15 days of submissions!  YOU GUYS DO AN AMAZING JOB!

I just get tired of people blatantly disregarding rules. There should be a MM contest rule that says... "3 strikes" and you are not eligible to submit for a year!

Like when people submit nudes in the "under 18" POD.  Even if they are caught by MODS... it still should have a penalty for doing it.  And having +18 images as avatars too.  And duplicate submissions to the POD within 4 days.

BTW... all of these images (on tomorrows lineup) have ALL been submitted in the last 3 days. 

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/354659

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/354625

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/354863

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/354769

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/354724

It blows my mind WHY someone would do this!!  I mean... I can see within 12-14 days... as-in you may have legitimately lost track of 15 days.  But within 3 days?  Damn!!  That is just plain disregard and obvious selfish narcism.  Sorry, but I just do not understand why there is not a penalty for abuse of the rules on this site.

Like I said... I would not wanna be YOU.  Hats off to ya!

JoJo wrote:

Mar 20 11 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

David Simonson

Wailuku, Hawaii, US

As an example...  This image...

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/354278

Was amazingly submitted in both these contests...

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … ups/110318

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … ups/110317

Same image... in the contest... two days in a row.  Like I said... A penalty for an obvious infraction of the rules would be a good thing to evoke.

NONE of this is an attack on you MODS or insinuating a lack of ability in catching duplicate submissions.  I mean, as I also mentioned before... it is a Herculean effort to be able to recall 200 images a day for 15 days!  I think having some penalties could help you MODS out and slow down the infractions of the rules a bit.

So I was curious...

I did not think I saw the disqualified image (exactly the same) from the Indonesian photographer in the last 15 days of contest submissions.  What day had he submitted the "same image" on?

David Simonson wrote:

Mar 20 11 11:15 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

David Simonson wrote:
So I was curious...

I did not think I saw the disqualified image (exactly the same) from the Indonesian photographer in the last 15 days of contest submissions.  What day had he submitted the "same image" on?

It was a recrop of an image in yesterday's contest

Mar 20 11 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

iyunk cruise

Jakarta, Jakarta, Indonesia

thank you for your attion guys..well really i was surprise and wondering .why was that picture removed...well those two picture are totally different , i mean I didn't crop , okey just now i have just upload to my album ..my avatar and my yesterday contest that was removed...look to the smile...and ofcourse the exif data...in that event BATIK FESTIVAL i just only took 3 shoot snap shoot ....

thank you very much

Mar 21 11 10:43 am Link

Photographer

David Simonson

Wailuku, Hawaii, US

I think MM owes the photographer a HUGE apology JoJo for removing a totally different shot!

Look at the two...  Look at the mouth.  It is truly a another shot in the sequence.  And well... that qualifies as a "different shot" and NOT a "crop" of the "same image".

Here are the examples...
1.) The one you say is "the crop"...
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/21696181

2.) The one that got removed...
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/22123933

So are we now saying that "the same shoot but different sequence" can not be submitted in 15 days??  Really?

This photographer got the shaft.  And his english is limited so I am sure that is why he was simply bewildered why his winning image suddenly got removed and did not argue about it.

It was definitely a different image and NOT a crop.  I am shocked that you removed it.  There is no way the subjects mouth was "manipulated" into a different expression.  Sorry, but you guys made a mistake and he was really winning the contest.  That was an unfair ruling (in my lowly opinion of course).

JoJo wrote:

It was a recrop of an image in yesterday's contest

Mar 21 11 10:51 am Link