Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Star Trek vs Star Wars

Model

Jennifer Barker

Houston, Arkansas, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:

That would be a lot for me to keep.

Aren't there about 45,000 Star Trek episodes, 6 Star wars movies and 4 LOTR books?

Well you would get to have all the Star Treks for yourself then .. roll about in them .. watch them whenever you like  smile  be my guest wink

Jun 27 10 02:39 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Jennifer Barker wrote:

Well you would get to have all the Star Treks for yourself then .. roll about in them .. watch them whenever you like  smile  be my guest wink

Thank you. I believe I'll watch some now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN3-6stydFg

smile

Jun 27 10 02:56 am Link

Photographer

ASYLUM - Art Nudes

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Yes to both.

Jun 27 10 03:32 am Link

Model

Elaine Smithee

New York, New York, US

Some more good shows...

Grittier than Battlestar:
https://www.cyberpursuits.com/heckifiknow/saab/images/saab-splash.jpg

Star Wars fans usually love this:
https://klti.de/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/firefly.jpg

The only Scifi show with more female than male fans - for a reason:
https://www.scifipress.com/images/serialy/ga93ehqfarscape.jpg

Jun 27 10 05:02 am Link

Model

J Corrosion

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Out of the two, I'm definitely a Trekkie. I never got into Star Wars.

However, Farscape is amazing and I probably love that more than Trek.

Jun 27 10 06:11 am Link

Filmmaker

ByeBye100000

Orca Bay Images wrote:

AOP Studios wrote:
The Seven Samurai, cause this is the story Lucas stole from.

No. Nononononononoooooooo. NO.

It wasn't The Seven Samurai, it was The Hidden Fortress.

Wagon Train, cause this is what Roddenberry stole from.

True.

Rolling up a BIG newspaper and getting ready to smack you widdit.

Oops, stand corrected...Seven Samurai was made into The Magnificent Seven. My bad...but then, Hidden Fortress is better than Wagon Train.  wink

Jun 27 10 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

Dune baby!

I shall not fear, fear is the mindkiller...

tongue

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b0/Duneposter.jpg

Jun 27 10 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

When Single shines the triple sun
what was sundered and undone
shall be whole the two made one
by gelfling hand, or else by none.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a4/Dark-crystal-dvd.jpg

Jun 27 10 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

For the record, when I say that I like Star Trek plot better and the Star Wars technology better, I'm referring to the last Star Trek that came out. That's a very good movie and remake of the lame original series. The last Star Wars series, I liked the effects, but the movie just lacked the charisma that was in the original 70's early 80's series.

Jun 27 10 09:04 am Link

Photographer

NatB Photo

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

David Shinobi wrote:
lol This should clear things up... borat

https://i48.tinypic.com/16a41va.gif

Yessss!!!

Picard FTW!!

Jun 27 10 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Collin J. Rae

Winchester, Virginia, US

https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t127/androidxx7/ufo_itv-thumb-300x418-18291.jpg

AND

https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t127/androidxx7/Cleopatra-2525-Complete-Series-B000.jpg

FTW!

/thread.

Jun 27 10 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Zachary Uram

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I am so torn over this!! I have been Star Trek fan since I was 5 and Star Wars fan since I was 4!!!!!!! I just can't decide too difficult. I LOVE BOTH OF THEM EQUALLY! woo big_smile

Jun 27 10 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

Ninja wrote:
Lord of the Rings.  Because Peter Jackson pwns pretty much everyone else.

Big difference. The Star Wars and Star Trek franchises have occasionally turned out pretty good movies.  The three Lord of the Rings movies were absolute bore-athons.

Jun 27 10 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Al Abbazia

Orlando, Florida, US

I love both franchises (plus the new Battlestar Galactica) but both have their faults.

Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace pretty much sucked. But, so did Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek V.

Jun 28 10 04:33 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

David Shinobi wrote:
lol This should clear things up... borat

https://i48.tinypic.com/16a41va.gif

Yessss!!!
I

Jun 28 10 05:02 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

You Star Wars people need to shape up or you're off my friends list!

Jun 28 10 05:24 am Link

Photographer

Lee Gillies

London, England, United Kingdom

Star Wars had lightsabers! the coolest (and most civilised) weapons EVER!!

Star Trek had 'phasers' (set to 'stun' mostly)  pfffft.

No contest!

vwoooom big_smile

Jun 28 10 05:40 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

How is slicing you in two civilized?

How is stun not more civilized?

Pffff.

Jun 28 10 05:44 am Link

Photographer

Lee Gillies

London, England, United Kingdom

Charles West wrote:
How is slicing you in two civilized?

How is stun not more civilized?

Ask Lucas, it was his dialogue. lol

I am going for cool factor wink

Jun 28 10 05:45 am Link

Model

The Duchess of Dork

I've always been a huge Star Wars fan, but after the last 3 abominations, I started enjoying Trek more for the good storywriting and character studies they did. Since there's less special effects and more acting, the characters had more meaning to me. Lucas could learn a thing or two from Trek about scripts.

Jun 28 10 05:57 am Link

Photographer

NatB Photo

The Duchess of Dork wrote:
I've always been a huge Star Wars fan, but after the last 3 abominations, I started enjoying Trek more for the good storywriting and character studies they did. Since there's less special effects and more acting, the characters had more meaning to me. Lucas could learn a thing or two from Trek about scripts.

This is why I like the Trek more, more focused on the story.... Star Wars was just a bunch of boring action crap.

Jun 28 10 09:00 am Link

Model

Elaine Smithee

New York, New York, US

NatB Photo wrote:
This is why I like the Trek more, more focused on the story.... Star Wars was just a bunch of boring action crap.

The "story" of Star Trek needed the biggest amount of suspension of disbelief I have experienced in a long time.

Remember when Kirk conveniently landed on the very same planet and ran in the very same cave (on a huuuuuge ice planet!) that old Spock was hiding? If he had run anywhere else, they would not have met and the evil Romulan would have destroyed earth.

End of story.

Jun 28 10 09:06 am Link

Model

The Duchess of Dork

Hahaha, very true! I think I was more of a Next Generation fan, personally.. because I loved the characters.

I think I hated every single character in the new Star Wars movies, except Darth Maul. Because he didn't talk.

Jun 28 10 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Paindancer Productions

Long Beach, California, US

Star wars is more accessable.

Star Trek, is much more diverse, having a wide range of styles, but in that scope, has much more mature intricate story telling.  It also has some really lame parts too.. but nothing compares to the lameness of jar-jar.

Jun 28 10 09:11 am Link

Photographer

CGI Images

Wichita, Kansas, US

Boriken Warrior Studios wrote:
Star Wars

Star Trek

They both Star Suck!

They're both kiddie fodder.

Give me the new Battlestar Galactica anyday!

-Koa-

Old Battlestar Galactica, and whatever happened to Space 1999... used to watch them both like a religion when I was about 6

Jun 28 10 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Angelfactory

Foley, Minnesota, US

The fact that they turned Darth Vader from one of the coolest villains ever into a sniveling whiny bitch who went psycho on a whole school of padawan kiddies because life was unfair totally ruined it for me.  Another thing I had an issue with is even though the last 3 movies actually predate the first 3 the technology in the ships and weapons appeared more advanced.
Star Trek had plenty of cheesy moments but they did it knowing so. It was just something fun and different for them to do. Star Wars got cheesy unintentionally so I guess as a fan of both have to go with the Trek.

Jun 28 10 09:39 am Link

Photographer

NatB Photo

Hahaha, very true! I think I was more of a Next Generation fan, personally.. because I loved the characters.

I think I hated every single character in the new Star Wars movies, except Darth Maul. Because he didn't talk.

Same here, TNG is the only series I can get into, but I like all the movies.

Jun 28 10 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Robert Mossack

Joplin, Missouri, US

I like both, But Definatly Trek. The force is indeed powerful, but no match for the power of "Q".

Jun 28 10 09:44 am Link

Model

Elaine Smithee

New York, New York, US

Angelfactory wrote:
Another thing I had an issue with is even though the last 3 movies actually predate the first 3 the technology in the ships and weapons appeared more advanced.

Maybe because the technology to create special effects advanced during the last 30 years?

Yes...that must be it.

Jun 28 10 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Angelfactory

Foley, Minnesota, US

Renaissance Wife wrote:

Maybe because the technology to create special effects advanced during the last 30 years?

Yes...that must be it.

All true but something they should have been mindful of more so it didn't appear that way. When Star Trek did later episodes or whatever where they went back in time they didn't use the latest cgi and things to make cooler travel or weapons ,they kept it with the time period they were portraying. Star Wars just went bigger and better because they now could and it took away from it for me.

Jun 28 10 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

CGI Images wrote:
Old Battlestar Galactica, and whatever happened to Space 1999... used to watch them both like a religion when I was about 6

Same here when I was 10.

I like the new BSG for different reasons.

To be honest I am less a fan of any one franchise and more a fan of Science Fiction in general.

Jun 28 10 10:06 am Link

Model

The Duchess of Dork

Angelfactory wrote:
All true but something they should have been mindful of more so it didn't appear that way.

Seriously, it doesn't take a genius to scale back the art so that it looked less advanced than the earlier films. Lucas' "well, Episodes 4-6 happened when there was less technological freedom" excuse was total crap. As if we wouldn't see any pretty shiny ships years into the future.. all he did was go f'ing nuts with the CGI, because he could. Which is a shame because the original 3 turned out beautifully, capturing people's imaginations, without all the bells and whistles.

Jun 28 10 10:08 am Link

Model

Elaine Smithee

New York, New York, US

Angelfactory wrote:

All true but something they should have been mindful of more so it didn't appear that way. When Star Trek did later episodes or whatever where they went back in time they didn't use the latest cgi and things to make cooler travel or weapons ,they kept it with the time period they were portraying. Star Wars just went bigger and better because they now could and it took away from it for me.

Part of the reason why I hate the "Special edition" is that it was created during a time (1996 I believe) when computer effects still looked far less realistic than real models. Every added scene looks fake and "different" to the models they used in the original movies. Totally pulls you out of the charming and dirty universe and movie experience.

Jun 28 10 10:09 am Link

Model

Elaine Smithee

New York, New York, US

Seriously, it doesn't take a genius to scale back the art so that it looked less advanced than the earlier films. Lucas' "well, Episodes 4-6 happened when there was less technological freedom" excuse was total crap. As if we wouldn't see any pretty shiny ships years into the future.. all he did was go f'ing nuts with the CGI, because he could. Which is a shame because the original 3 turned out beautifully, capturing people's imaginations, without all the bells and whistles.

https://verbatim66.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/george-lucas-now-and-then1.jpg

Jun 28 10 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Eclectic Vision

Toledo, Ohio, US

Star Trek!

Jun 28 10 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

Lest we forget
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9d/Smb5-s4.jpg

The people who made Star Trek: Enterprise coulda learned a thing or two about wide range story arcs from J. Michael Strczinsky.

tongue

Jun 28 10 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Garry k wrote:
Star Trek vs Star Wars?

Star Trek

cus the villains are more varied and interesting

You can't compare the two (though I'm sure many will try).

Star Wars has a tightly focused storyline. It draws upon deep mythological aspects from antiquity (fall from grace, eros & thanatos, redemption).

Star Trek has a deeper library where even the franchises w/n the Star Trek universe barely look like anything from the other. Its stories were constructed as morality plays to address contemporary issues, setting it in the far flung future.

Jun 28 10 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Angelfactory wrote:
The fact that they turned Darth Vader from one of the coolest villains ever into a sniveling whiny bitch who went psycho on a whole school of padawan kiddies because life was unfair totally ruined it for me.

Who do you think would become the world's greatest villian? Its the kid that got picked on & shoved into a locker at school & then goes apeshit shooting everyone.

Jun 28 10 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Eclectic Vision  wrote:
Star Trek!

Agreed... because 'Seven of Nine' was one fuckin SUPERHOTTIE!... borat

https://www.theplace2.ru/archive/jery_ryan/img/Jeri%20Ryan-7.jpg

Jun 28 10 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The original Star Wars trilogy - without question. To deny its overwhelming success and impact is being, well, fucking stupid. Like it or not.

Star Trek seemed like it was more for the nerdy/geeky type, as it is more technical and formal. Star Wars was toned down to be more for everyone, I believe.

Jun 28 10 10:27 am Link