Forums > Model Colloquy > Safety at Home Studios?

Photographer

MrTim

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

Ms Selina K wrote:
Honestly, there is danger pretty much everywhere. You could just as easily get into an accident while in transit to a shoot.

Good point; I've been running some crime/injury stats and out of all the possible terrible fates that may occur, the most likely one - by a long way - is getting hurt in a car crash.
It's the travelling to the shoot which is where the biggest risk of all is. On that basis I suggest that everyone should try and shoot from their own home whenever possible!

Mar 12 12 01:18 pm Link

Model

Meghan Riley

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

When I do do in-studio work, it's pretty much always been in an at-home studio. I see no problem with this. The photos turn out good and the equipment is good, so I don't see much difference between shooting in an apartment, or a studio.

Mar 12 12 01:32 pm Link

Model

Kimberly Diane

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I see there's a lot of replies, just figured I'd add mine.

I used to think nothing of it. But due to recent events with a local photographer (who I & a lot others trusted) video taping myself & 3 other girls changing, I am more fearful. It's true there's dangers everywhere, I advise all models to look at every nook & cranny. Cameras can come as small as a battery, you just never know. I've invested in my own popup changing tent that I'll start bringing everywhere. You can't always trust the husband & wife photography team w/ kids. People are messed up these days.

Mar 12 12 01:45 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Kimberly Diane wrote:

I used to think nothing of it. But due to recent events with a local photographer (who I & a lot others trusted) video taping myself & 3 other girls changing, I am more fearful. It's true there's dangers everywhere, I advise all models to look at every nook & cranny. Cameras can come as small as a battery, you just never know. I've invested in my own popup changing tent that I'll start bringing everywhere. You can't always trust the husband & wife photography team w/ kids. People are messed up these days.

popcorn

Because cameras cannot be hidden in other studios?

Mar 12 12 01:55 pm Link

Model

Kimberly Diane

Scarlett Candee wrote:

popcorn

Because cameras cannot be hidden in other studios?

They can be anywhere. That's why I said to investigate every nook & cranny. Whether is be a studio or an in home one. It's like when you get bit by a dog, you fear that breed for a while more than others, until you are comfortable again. Bad analogy, but what I came up with at the moment.

Mar 12 12 02:04 pm Link

Model

E M E R S O N

Tucson, Arizona, US

Kimberly Diane wrote:

That's just putting paranoia in peoples heads. So it happened once and the guy was an ass. Sue him or leave it be and move on. This is just silly. If I were a photographer and I had to watch my model check every nook and cranny to make sure I wasn't a creep I would tell them to leave.

Mar 12 12 02:51 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

E M E R S O N wrote:

That's just putting paranoia in peoples heads. So it happened once and the guy was an ass. Sue him or leave it be and move on. This is just silly. If I were a photographer and I had to watch my model check every nook and cranny to make sure I wasn't a creep I would tell them to leave.

+1

Mar 12 12 02:57 pm Link

Model

Roberta H

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Kimberly Diane wrote:

I was in this exact position as well and it has nothing to do with whether it's a home studio, that's the photographer. The two don't correlate, but a pop up change tent is an excellent idea regardless.

Mar 12 12 03:34 pm Link

Model

Erzsebet

BARNSTABLE, Massachusetts, US

The vast majority of shots in my port are at a photographers home, outside, in dingy basements/warehouses, etc. Only a couple are in studio.

I don't give a rats ass where you shoot out of so long as you have good references and you can get us both some images that we can both use.

Mar 12 12 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Faulty Focus

Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada

Martin Philippo wrote:
Can somebody please delete my account here?
I would rather not be a member of a site where stuff that might get stolen is more important than anything else.

I do not think anyone has said that.  Did a miss a posting?

Mar 12 12 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Carter

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I would just like to point out the funny correlation on how the lower the number of posts in the forums, the more likely it is that someone will be paranoid about something like this smile

Mar 12 12 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Faulty Focus wrote:

I do not think anyone has said that.  Did a miss a posting?

No, but you missed that the poster you replied to is no longer on the site!

smile

Mar 12 12 05:02 pm Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Arson my brief response, as I'm on my phone and have zero desire to get in on the drama from it. I blogged about my thoughts on the home studio. That's here: http://racheljay.wordpress.com/2008/10/ … me-studio/

I don't have access to MM during the day anymore, so feel free to comment there or email me.

Cheers.

Mar 12 12 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

ThatLook Visual Media wrote:
What about the models that refuse to shoot at houses, not because of safety, but because they think shooting at a pro studio is more "big time"?  Some beginner model's idea of a photoshoot is what they see on ANTM...a photographer and a whole crew of people running around.  So if they're asked to shoot in a home studio, they feel it is the wrong direction for their "career".

Agreed, and not just models either. I often get asked do I have a studio, even when im discussing outdoor shoots. I'm bloody confused!

Mar 12 12 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Carter

Rachel Jay wrote:
Arson my brief response

OMG, this is a VERY good point. What if the model sets your studio on fire?

Mar 12 12 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Kimberly Diane wrote:

They can be anywhere. That's why I said to investigate every nook & cranny. Whether is be a studio or an in home one. It's like when you get bit by a dog, you fear that breed for a while more than others, until you are comfortable again. Bad analogy, but what I came up with at the moment.

Sorry to hear that, but I think that would be weirder! A pop-up Superman quick change tent!

There's  being cautious and there's being paranoid. Without belittling your bad experience I would have to ask you to leave before you freaked out the rest of the models and crew!

Mar 12 12 06:36 pm Link

Model

Tansy Blue

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

[Haven't read thread.]

I like home studios. They're often better heated and have a better biscuit selection than commercial studios. Also, residential streets often have better public transport links than industrial parks. And if I'm delayed on the journey I know the photographer isn't wasting time he's paying for.

I always get the photographer's address so someone knows where I'll be. If I'm being picked up from a station I also get a numberplate. If you've done your due diligence you should be fine.

Mar 12 12 06:52 pm Link

Body Painter

Extreme Body Art

South Jordan, Utah, US

Kimberly Diane wrote:

E M E R S O N wrote:

This...

Kimberly.. Modeling is not for you..
A photographer that is going to video tape you can do it ANYWHERE (even a 'commercial studio')

I would get out of the biz as you are clearly suffering from Mean World Syndrome.
Sorry that you were video taped while changing... but WHERE the photographer shoots does not protect you from this kind of assault.

If you are afraid of what the photographer MIGHT do... there are too many things to list of what COULD happen so you might as well not bother continuing in this industry at all.

Mar 12 12 09:29 pm Link

Body Painter

DannyS at DenArt

Brooklyn, New York, US

Extreme Body Art wrote:
This...

Kimberly.. Modeling is not for you..
A photographer that is going to video tape you can do it ANYWHERE (even a 'commercial studio')

I would get out of the biz as you are clearly suffering from Mean World Syndrome.
Sorry that you were video taped while changing... but WHERE the photographer shoots does not protect you from this kind of assault.

If you are afraid of what the photographer MIGHT do... there are too many things to list of what COULD happen so you might as well not bother continuing in this industry at all.

I think it's a little harsh to say that modeling is not for her because she's being cautious after a bad experience.

I do agree that the location/setting doesn't protect the model from what the photographer might do to her.

What she did (getting a portable changing tent) after the bad experience is a smart solution to prevent that bad experience from happening again. I applaud her for that ingenious solution which allow her to continue modeling and feel protected from the kind of violation that she had experienced.

Mar 12 12 09:40 pm Link

Body Painter

Extreme Body Art

South Jordan, Utah, US

DEN ART NY wrote:

I think it's a little harsh to say that modeling is not for her because she's being cautious after a bad experience.

I do agree that the location/setting doesn't protect the model from what the photographer might do to her.

What she did (getting a portable changing tent) after the bad experience is a smart solution to prevent that bad experience from happening again. I applaud her for that ingenious solution which allow her to continue modeling and feel protected from the kind of violation that she had experienced.

I was mostly responding to the fact she wants to go through ever nook and cranny of my home/studio to make sure I have no cameras hidden.

If she wants to do that... she will not be in this business long as I don't know very many photographers that would put up with that type of behavior..

Would there be some? sure.. but she would alienate many.

If she wants to bring a pop tent to change into.. I don't care, that's a better idea then going through my studio with a comb.

Side note:
It's like the model who was sexually assaulted all of a sudden believes that ALL photographers are like that.. if they are going to have that mentality.. modeling is NOT for them.

Mar 12 12 09:54 pm Link

Body Painter

DannyS at DenArt

Brooklyn, New York, US

Extreme Body Art wrote:

I was mostly responding to the fact she wants to go through ever nook and cranny of my home/studio to make sure I have no cameras hidden.

If she wants to do that... she will not be in this business long as I don't know very many photographers that would put up with that type of behavior..

Would there be some? sure.. but she would alienate many.

If she wants to bring a pop tent to change into.. I don't care, that's a better idea then going through my studio with a comb.

Side note:
It's like the model who was sexually assaulted all of a sudden believes that ALL photographers are like that.. if they are going to have that mentality.. modeling is NOT for them.

Yeah, if she does that, I'm sure many photographers would not want to work with her. My guess is that she didn't mean that literally. I read that as being very careful.

Mar 12 12 09:56 pm Link

Model

Marketa Fei

Berkeley, California, US

I generally consider home studios to be less of a threat than commercial studios, because residential neighborhoods are more well-trafficked on a daily basis and people are more likely to notice something being a little different than usual.

Mar 12 12 10:21 pm Link

Model

E M E R S O N

Tucson, Arizona, US

DEN ART NY wrote:
Yeah, if she does that, I'm sure many photographers would not want to work with her. My guess is that she didn't mean that literally. I read that as being very careful.

If she had many be careful, I doubt she would have said that she tells all models to "search every nook and cranny".

Mar 12 12 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Studio B Photo

Lake in the Hills, Illinois, US

Rachel Jay wrote:
Arson my brief response, as I'm on my phone and have zero desire to get in on the drama from it. I blogged about my thoughts on the home studio. That's here: http://racheljay.wordpress.com/2008/10/ … me-studio/

I had not read this before, Excellent Rach.
Although I shoot at commercial Studios.
I do have a well equipped home studio, but I am very cautious about who I invite to shoot in my home. Always repeat and trusted models or private clients.

As I write this, I just remembered, as many shoots as Rach and I have done, she has never shot in my home studio. LOL. Luv you Rach, welcome any time.

Mar 12 12 10:43 pm Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Studio B Photo wrote:
As I write this, I just remembered, as many shoots as Rach and I have done, she has never shot in my home studio. LOL. Luv you Rach, welcome any time.

This is true! You've even been to 2 of my homes, hahaha!! :hearts: It's been way too long!

And pardon my use of the word arson above. Effin atuocorrect!

Mar 12 12 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Faulty Focus

Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada

Darren Brade wrote:

Agreed, and not just models either. I often get asked do I have a studio, even when im discussing outdoor shoots. I'm bloody confused!

One of the things I learned in my days in sales work that often the first question a customer may ask is " what is the price?" Of course price was a  concern, but in most cases it was not number one. The reason they asked that is they did not know what questions they should be asking regarding the product or service in question.  When asked, " do you have a studio" may be just this, a model may not know what she/he should be asking,  maybe it is simple curiosity or they just want to know a little more about this stranger that is going to be taking pictures of them with more skin showing than covered.

Mar 12 12 11:06 pm Link

Model

LexLethal

Los Angeles, California, US

If I'm being paid or really dig their work, I'll go so far as to break into places to work with someone. Home studios don't bother me, period. Case in point, I JUST worked with a photographer who had a setup in the basement of his home, in the middle of nowhere New Jersey. Basements are so foreign to me, being from New Orleans. lol Now besides what I'd seen in horror movies about basements and the fact that he told me it had some pretty rad 70s shag carpeting in there would usually set off red flags for some people. It actually made me want to work there more for the sole reason that:
He told me about it right off the bat.

No surprises.
No randomly saying... "Ok, now if you'll come down to my basement."

Be upfront and honest about where you shoot and it should be fine. Hide it until the last minute, and you'll probably find resistance.

Mar 13 12 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Pixel Fist

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Jay Farrell wrote:

Stolen stuff, especially a risk when a model brings the E word.

Yep.  'Happened to me.

Mar 13 12 12:08 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Carter

Rachel Jay wrote:
And pardon my use of the word arson above. Effin atuocorrect!

smile

Mar 13 12 02:30 am Link

Model

Sierra McKenzie

Seattle, Washington, US

I work at in-home/garage studios a fair amount and it doesn't ever bother me.

I think anyone freelance modeling often will have encountered this before working with you, and will probably be fine with it.

Mar 13 12 02:56 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Your worried about what models think about safety? Ummmm... hello! You are opening your HOME to prospective models/clients. Your safety is of far greater concern, I would think.

Assuming that you are a decent fellow, and that you're on the up-and-up, you are taking on far greater risk than the model. Always keep that in mind. Be selective.

A few reminders:

1. Keep your living space separate from your studio. If that means installing a basic restroom in your studio space, so be it.

2. Having a home studio is not license for the model (or her entourage) to roam freely about your home.

3. If anything feels amiss, curb the model quickly.

4. Don't serve alcohol or allow drugs on your property.

5. If you're not insured for this kind of usage of your home space, look into getting coverage.

Mar 13 12 03:02 am Link

Model

Kimberly Diane

DEN ART NY wrote:

This^ I didn't mean pick up every little object & investigate it or take the clock off the wall to make sure it's a clock. That's just plain silly & obnoxious + a waste of time & money. I did mean it as being careful. Just a look around the room would've helped in my case. I've been modeling for 4 years, my paranoia was high at first but I did calm down & realize it was a bad apple. I always think the best of people until they prove me wrong. It's live & learn. That's why my solution was the popup. & I don't use it all the time, just when I'm shooting with newer folks. I DID shoot in a home studio Sunday & didn't "search every nook & cranny" that was a poor choice of words on my part. My apologies for seeming paranoid, I definitely didn't mean my post to sound the way it did.

Mar 14 12 11:00 am Link

Photographer

DG at studio47

East Ridge, Tennessee, US

ok--I DID NOT read the entire thread, BUT....... I have had a home studio [not a bedroom btw] since 2007. It is a 30X16 space--10ft window for natural light, hardwood floors [1964], neutral walls, etc., totally dedicated to photography. I've never had a problem. My posted work and the referrals of those I have worked with are two testimonies that stand in my favor and always have. As for the question about a model or visitor being injured in my studio [or on location with me], my model agreement has a dedicated clause [paragraph] that states clearly that any injury is the responsibility of the model or escort, and that they have examined the studio/location area and find it safe to work in. much more legalese to it than that, but that's the basic premise. I highlight it in brilliant yellow marker, go over that specific paragraph with each person[s] at a shoot and have them initial it separately, besides signing the agreement as a whole. Never had any injury in the studio or on location--ever. same in my medical career of almost 30 years. I never let a patient get hurt on my watch. being responsible and planning to be safe is job one.
best wishes everyone.

Mar 14 12 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Martin Philippo wrote:

the risk of what?

Say the model trips over a light stand and breaks her ankle. Her ankle will heal, but the $100,000 lawsuit against the photographer wont heal so quickly. Unless there is professional insurance, but if not.....oh my!

Or......the model says you "harassed" her sexually (whether you did or not is irrelevant). You will still pay....... A LOT!!!

See, MUCH more risk to the photog!

Mar 14 12 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sensual Touch wrote:

Say the model trips over a light stand and breaks her ankle. Her ankle will heal, but the $100,000 lawsuit against the photographer wont heal so quickly. Unless there is professional insurance, but if not.....oh my!

Or......the model says you "harassed" her sexually (whether you did or not is irrelevant). You will still pay....... A LOT!!!

See, MUCH more risk to the photog!

+1

Mar 14 12 07:37 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

FFS let the thread die.
No one wins when self important photographers start arguing about their possible financial concerns with lawsuit or theft with panicky models thinking about possible rape or death.

There's no winning either argument.
Go home.

*shoos*

Mar 14 12 07:40 pm Link

Model

Svetlana Muerte

Austin, Texas, US

Martin Philippo wrote:

the risk of what?

I can steal your shit later. That's your risk with models.

Not me, because I wouldn't want to steal your shit. Mainly because I can't deal with a felony on my record.

Mar 14 12 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

DG at studio47

East Ridge, Tennessee, US

every single aspect of life carries risk. either take the risks or hide?

Mar 14 12 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Augustine York wrote:

I think it's probably more likely for a photographer to have something stolen than for a model to be raped on set.

And I think it's more likely for a model to be raped by a stranger while coming out of the grocery store than while on a shoot...  especially in a photographer's home.

Smart + Rational +Gorgeous = Dangerous

;>)

Mar 15 12 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Augustine York wrote:

hahaha whoops wink

In general my thoughts are that yes - models may be subjected to somewhat higher instances of creepers just by the very nature of this work and the fact that any idiot with a camera can join MM and send us weird messages.
But that's where screening comes in - someone is weird in a message, don't have a shoot with them.

And at the end of the day, if you're on a shoot and the photographer says something rude, or lewd: it's just words. There's a huge difference between being creeped on and being raped.

Always knew there was a lot that I liked about you, and you keep improving on it.

Being creeped out is not something to be sneezed at, but also nothing to freak out about.

And being creeped on is likely to happen anywhere. Being physically assaulted less likely to happen in a home studio.

Worst case scenario:
Model is raped or just assaulted.
Model has told people where she is going ... you have, haven't you?
Police go to deserted warehouse to look for evidence. Photographer claims he was never there.
Police go to photographers home, odds are there will be evidence of something somewhere.

The real danger is that van with the blacked out windows following you from Walmart.

Mar 15 12 12:34 am Link