This thread was locked on 2008-08-27 13:24:21
Forums > Critique > The Dark Critique Parlor

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

Don Sir Photography wrote:
I thank you for your time and critique.  This is all still new and exciting to me so I'm glad to see that some of what I'm doing is moving in the right direction.  Salud!

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Aug 19 08 01:36 pm Link

Model

Eli Ink

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Am I being skipped or was i missed?

Aug 19 08 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Eli Inkubus wrote:
Am I being skipped or was i missed?

Currently working on page 37.
Also see item #5 in OP.

Aug 19 08 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Kita St Cyr wrote:
Hm.  Was I here yet?  Do I belong here?  If so, shoot me a message when it's my turn. smile

Kita St Cyr

Photo 1: Not in genre.

Photo 2: This isn't my favorite Viva shot because the color balance is a little skewed, but I do love it. You look so cute here, and the retro pin-up style is a dead-on homage to the post WWII Tiki style. Your simple pose is perfect. Well done.

Photo 3: The colors a a little oversaturated here, but again you look great.

Photo 4: I love Anilom's bright colors, though he tends to oversaturate for my tastes. Anyway, the fishing line gag here is priceless!

Photo 5: Simple and cute. I think the hotspot on your nose is a little grating, but overall it's good. Another classic pinup pose.

Photo 6: More retro styling fun. You are knocking off all the classics one by one.

Photo 7: Way cool colors and set and your pose is great too. Again the saturation is a bit much, and the multiple shadows are also a bit annoying, but again we have a shot that's more good than bad.

Photo 8: Simply gorgeous. An A+ photo of you.

Photo 9: A very nice black and white portrait. I love the light and shadows here, and you look quite alluring.

Photo 10: Nice. This shot shows a ton of personality. Good job.

You've crafted a really great pin up port.
Come back when you've done another dozen shots, it would be my pleasure to look at 'em.

sorry for the wait

Enjoy the night!
- fotographia fantastique

Aug 19 08 02:29 pm Link

Model

Eli Ink

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Okie dokie

Aug 19 08 03:21 pm Link

Model

BritanniaBarnes

What do you think xxxx??

Aug 19 08 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Chanti wrote:

I want critiques!!! Me Me ME!!!! smile Please? xox

Chanti

Photo 1: Beautiful, even if the focus is a bit too soft. If there was any doubt that your body is work of art, this photo dispels it.

Photo 2: It is way creative. The lighting is also bad. This is one of those photos that's really hard to give a thumbs up or thumbs down on since it's merits and shortcomings are in counterbalance.

Photo 3: Beautiful and artistic. The light and shadows here are amazing, and your pose in that archway makes for such an attractive composition. And, sorry to harp on this, but Holy Cow, what a body! I would totally hang this one on my wall.

Photo 4: It may not be the best photo in the world, but it does make a statement.

Photo 5: This one is really nice. With all the lines of light and shadow, the black pinstripe dress, that linear Star of David tat in the foreground - I'd have liked to see it in black and white - but it looks good in color too.

Photo 6: Beautiful. This one has very classic curves and tones. Your pose is good, a little bit self-conscious, a little bit relaxed.

Photo 7: O.K. the focus is a little off here, but I like this one. You look younger and more innocent somehow.

Photo 8: A nice portrait. Letting the hair get in your face makes it delicate and unique and un-selfconsious.

Photo 9: This nude is fine, but I think it would look better rotated 90°

Photo 10: Nice; Lithe and sinuous.

Photo 11: I don't like the cropping on this one. Your knee at least should have been in frame.

Photo 12: This is about midrange of the stuff in your portfolio. It's quite nice, but not one of your top shots.

Photo 13: Very cool. This has a great avant-garde sort of attitude.

Photo 14: A nice clean looking bondage shot. I really like this one. Too many people get crazy with the ropes - I like the simple clean lines of this rope work. I like the angles formed by your arms and legs here.

Photo 15: I normally like grainy black and white nudes, but this one doesn't really do much for me.

Photo 16: Cute and stylish. Great attention to detail here with the matching underwear, bracelet and eyeshadow. This one is a keeper.

Photo 17: Another really great, clean simple nude. Excellent.

Photo 18: Your hair is one of your great assets, and tossing it back looks good with this mesh top. Not your best photo, but shows that you really do know how to pose.

Photo 19: This one is an O.K. portrait.

Photo 20: Very cool. Another work of contemporary art. I love it!

You and your photographers have a really good sense of design and form. Your posing ability is first rate, and as I mentioned above, you have been blessed with a really great figure and gorgeous long hair. Your one of the most elegant looking models I've had the pleasure of critiquing here. A couple of the artistic experiments here didn't quite yield stellar results, but the ones that did are gallery worthy.

sorry for the wait

Enjoy the night!

Aug 20 08 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Mz JRiche wrote:
I'm game!

Mz JRiche

I'm sorry, but the majority of your port falls well within the mainstream fashion and beauty looks and does not qualify for a critique here.
I will, however, say that I love this bodypaint shot:
https://modelmayhm-2.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071206/18/47588c2803e19_m.jpg
sorry for the wait

Enjoy the night!

Aug 20 08 09:57 am Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

Fotographia Fantastique wrote:

Kita St Cyr

Photo 2: This isn't my favorite Viva shot because the color balance is a little skewed, but I do love it. You look so cute here, and the retro pin-up style is a dead-on homage to the post WWII Tiki style. Your simple pose is perfect. Well done.

Photo 3: The colors a a little oversaturated here, but again you look great.

Photo 4: I love Anilom's bright colors, though he tends to oversaturate for my tastes. Anyway, the fishing line gag here is priceless!

Photo 5: Simple and cute. I think the hotspot on your nose is a little grating, but overall it's good. Another classic pinup pose.

Photo 6: More retro styling fun. You are knocking off all the classics one by one.

Photo 7: Way cool colors and set and your pose is great too. Again the saturation is a bit much, and the multiple shadows are also a bit annoying, but again we have a shot that's more good than bad.

Photo 8: Simply gorgeous. An A+ photo of you.

Photo 9: A very nice black and white portrait. I love the light and shadows here, and you look quite alluring.

Photo 10: Nice. This shot shows a ton of personality. Good job.

You've crafted a really great pin up port.
Come back when you've done another dozen shots, it would be my pleasure to look at 'em.

sorry for the wait

Enjoy the night!

Woohoo!  Thanks a bunch smile

Aug 20 08 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

--Del-- wrote:
can i please have one smile

--Del--

Sorry Adele, but your port also is too focused on mainstream fashion.
I will, however, say that this is a nice shot that if you look closely shows a bit of how mainstream fashion has borrowed from the scene:
https://modelmayhm-6.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080328/03/47ec9b72cfb04_m.jpg

sorry for the wait

Enjoy the night!

Aug 20 08 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

BN Productions wrote:
Thank you Dahling! smile I always loved the critique in here, it's constructive -vs- insulting...

You're welcome, Dahling.
Constructive is how we roll.

Aug 20 08 10:13 am Link

Model

Greg0riaN

Athens, Attikí, Greece

pls .. do mine

Aug 20 08 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

TarilynQuinn wrote:
i'm down

TarilynQuinn

Photo 1: Amazing. This is a fantastic take on the Geisha look, and the vector graphic ornamentation is perfect.

Photo 2: Well, you know I love this one, I was after all the first person to put it on a list! I think this is a fantastic piece of artwork. I've always liked it.

Photo 3: O.K., the missing nipples has always sort of creeped me out, but I guess that's kind of the point. It definitely has a "birthing" feel and, as always, your P-shop skills are top notch.

Photo 4: How awesome is this!?! Words cannot describe teh kewlness...

Photo 5: A good photo to begin with. The color accent really makes it, though.

Photo 6: Excellent. Fetishy and artistic at the same time - you've had this one in the port for a long time, I think I've reviewed it before, but that's good, because it's definitely a keeper.

Photo 7: ...umm...oh-kay...

Photo 8: Another one that I threw on "Not Holden's List", my list of images I consider art (for those unfamiliar the name is a reference to the long-running MM thread by Model/Art Director Kristen Holden). Awesome shot.

Photo 9: This one is another one that's kind of on the line of being in/out of genre, kind of like the Mayte shot above - and like that shot, your unique spin drags it across the line. Not your best but decent.

Photo 10: First off, it's Yin not Ying in Taoist taijitu (symbol for yin and yang) illustrated here. Now that we have that out of the way, I'd say I like the concept, but it really isn't as good as some of your other pieces. I assume that the word "unfinished" means you have some work left to do on this one? I hope so - but if that's the case, you should take it down until it's done.

Photo 11: I think this one is kind of sloppy. Your normally outstanding Photoshop skills are not shown off here to good effect. The model (especially her hair) looks clumsily lassoed out and the upside down flower things in the back look "stuck on" and unfinished. This image does you no justice, take it down.

Photo 12: This is more like it. While I like #2 better, this is another awesome shot from that sink series. You don't really need two of them, but until you need the space, you might as well keep this one too.

Photo 13: Eww! Have you spoken to your therapist lately? Seriously cool, but seriously disturbing.

Photo 14: A great photo, although I find that pile of feathers behind her a little distracting.

Photo 15: O.K., this is an awesome portrait, big kudos go to the MUA on this one.

Photo 16: It's great to finally see what you actually look like.

Photo 17: This geisha image is also great, but I'll take the one where you pulled out all the stops. You don't need both in here.

Photo 18-20: Not in genre.

Your work has really improved. I am glad to see that you are being a little more restrained with your watermark these days.

sorry for the wait

Enjoy the night!

Aug 20 08 11:00 am Link

Model

meike1991

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

love to hear your opinion,, don't know if I fit in ..

Aug 20 08 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Taryn True

Union City, New Jersey, US

thanks for the critique! ill work on improving the port!

Aug 20 08 11:50 am Link

Model

Fire Pixi

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

do me do me!!!!

Aug 20 08 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

DigitalHarlot

Lincoln, England, United Kingdom

me too...if you have have the time

Aug 20 08 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Erzsebet wrote:
I would love one please if you are still doing them smile

Thanks!

Erzsebet

Photo 1: Gorgeous. A work of art. What more do you want me to say?

Photo 2: It's an O.K. portrait, but with that tat in the foreground, it'd be nice to be able to read the whole thing.

Photo 3: This one is fine, but I hate seeing unlaced grommets like that.

Photo 4-10: Not in genre.

Photo 11: Nice implied nude, though I kind of wish your nails were done since your hand is prominently in the foreground.

Photo 12: What the-? O.K....

Photo 13: Not in genre (piercings notwithstanding).

Photo 14: I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to take away from this image, but it's kind of neat.

Photo 15: Not in genre.

Photo 16: This one's kind of nice, but the other model is casting a shadow on your face.

Photo 17: With a photo like this that emphasizes softness, you would do better to soften your expression some. Otherwise, it's quite nice.

Photo 18-20: Not in genre

Photo 21: Wonderful pin up shot, very pretty.

Photo 22: Not in genre.

Photo 23: Excellent. I love the light and shadow here.

Photo 24: This shot is too blown out, and I don't like that bit of shoe in there either. Delete it.

Photo 25: I loathe the Dutch angle on this one.

Photo 26: I wouldn't have recognized what was in your hand if it weren't for the caption, but the photo looks like fun.

Photo 27: Another potentially good shot ruined with a terrible angle.

Photo 28: There's a lot of weird stuff going on in here, but I like it!

Photo 29: This one is SO close. Not your fault, your feet look fine, but the photographer sort of dropped the ball here - if you're going for a shot like this, getting the shoes entirely in frame is sort of essential. An inch lower and this would have been a great shot.

Photo 30: This one also isn't framed and composed as good as it could have been. It's not terrible, just could have been a lot better with some tweaks. You look good, though. Here's the appropriate place for that hard expression.

Photo 31: Love it! This is an excellent tight shot - we even get to see that barbell in your tongue.

Photo 32: I keep turning my head to the side. Rotate this 90° and you'll make my neck happy.

Photo 33: This one's too blurry. Either it was out of focus, or lost focus being compressed. I'd pull this one.

Photo 34: Your best portrait.

Photo 35: Beautiful black and white shot. This one really creates the illusion of real emotion.

Photo 36: This is a good shot of you, although the contrast was pushed a little too far for my tastes.

Photo 37: More great emoting. Very nice.

sorry for the wait

Enjoy the night!

Aug 20 08 12:49 pm Link

Model

Erzsebet

BARNSTABLE, Massachusetts, US

Erzsebet

Photo 1: Gorgeous. A work of art. What more do you want me to say?

Photo 2: It's an O.K. portrait, but with that tat in the foreground, it'd be nice to be able to read the whole thing.

Photo 3: This one is fine, but I hate seeing unlaced grommets like that.

Photo 4-10: Not in genre.

Photo 11: Nice implied nude, though I kind of wish your nails were done since your hand is prominently in the foreground.

Photo 12: What the-? O.K....

Photo 13: Not in genre (piercings notwithstanding).

Photo 14: I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to take away from this image, but it's kind of neat.

Photo 15: Not in genre.

Photo 16: This one's kind of nice, but the other model is casting a shadow on your face.

Photo 17: With a photo like this that emphasizes softness, you would do better to soften your expression some. Otherwise, it's quite nice.

Photo 23: Excellent. I love the light and shadow here.

Photo 24: This shot is too blown out, and I don't like that bit of shoe in there either. Delete it.

Photo 25: I loathe the Dutch angle on this one.

Photo 26: I wouldn't have recognized what was in your hand if it weren't for the caption, but the photo looks like fun.

Photo 27: Another potentially good shot ruined with a terrible angle.

Photo 28: There's a lot of weird stuff going on in here, but I like it!

Photo 29: This one is SO close. Not your fault, your feet look fine, but the photographer sort of dropped the ball here - if you're going for a shot like this, getting the shoes entirely in frame is sort of essential. An inch lower and this would have been a great shot.

Photo 30: This one also isn't framed and composed as good as it could have been. It's not terrible, just could have been a lot better with some tweaks. You look good, though. Here's the appropriate place for that hard expression.

Photo 31: Love it! This is an excellent tight shot - we even get to see that barbell in your tongue.

Photo 32: I keep turning my head to the side. Rotate this 90° and you'll make my neck happy.

Photo 33: This one's too blurry. Either it was out of focus, or lost focus being compressed. I'd pull this one.

Photo 34: Your best portrait.

Photo 35: Beautiful black and white shot. This one really creates the illusion of real emotion.

Photo 36: This is a good shot of you, although the contrast was pushed a little too far for my tastes.

Photo 37: More great emoting. Very nice.

sorry for the wait

Enjoy the night!

Wow thank you very much! I was very much expecting to get pretty much ripped apart here... thanks for the input smile

~Erzsebet

Aug 20 08 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

REMINDER: This is a very serious and thorough critique, and a VERY popular thread.
Please do not request a critique unless you are prepared to wait a long time.

Aug 20 08 04:57 pm Link

Model

MissLoLo

Leonardtown, Maryland, US

I really love your work Sprigheel and would greatly appriciate a critique smile xox

Aug 20 08 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

MissLoLo wrote:
I really love your work Sprigheel and would greatly appriciate a critique smile xox

Please go back and reread the first post.

Aug 20 08 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Nikkia wrote:
I'm very interested in getting a critique please! I try and combine dark with a wide range of genres to stay versatile!

Ta x

Nikkia

Photo 2: Fun (though it would have been more effective if the top edge of frame was much lower).

Photo 3: Beautiful. A friend of mine told me that all harpists bleach because everybody wants a blonde "angelic looking" harpist. They never saw this.

Photo 4: Eh. Does nothing for me (or you).

Photo 5: Love them sight gags!

Photo 6: It's O.K., but I think the MUA went a little overboard on the lipstick (and what's on your cheek?)

Photo 7: Subtle. I like it.

Photo 8: The lighting is a little off, but you look absolutely radiant here.

Photo 9: I don't really follow the storyline here, but it sure is hawt!

Photo 10: Not crazy about this close up. Maybe it's the heavy amount of blur.

Photo 11: The effects makeup is awesome, the angle and lighting is weak, and the hand bra is horrible.

Photo 12: This has a nice vintage feel.

Photo 13: A fabulous art nude.

Photo 14: This here is a beautiful composition. Treasure it.

Photo 15: This is cute. The whirling carousel is a great backdrop.

Photo 16: This really shows off your assets - er... ass to good effect.

Photo 17: This one brought a smile to my face. Clever and fun.

Photo 18: An excellent subbie shot. Your expression is great. You look so eager to please.

Photo 19: O.K., I don't know what that thing is, but it's a great prop. This may not be your best shot, but for sheer strangeness, it deserves a place in your port.

Photo 20: I love this high contrast shot of you in fishnets.

Overall your portfolio is solid. You're approaching your 3rd year on MM time to move up to the next stage. While nearly everything in your portfolio is good, nothing totally blows my socks off. You should now concentrate on finding a photographer who can create a totally amazing, unique shot for your port.

sorry for the wait

Enjoy the night!

Aug 20 08 05:22 pm Link

Model

MissLoLo

Please go back and reread the first post.

I have, I don't understand where I don't fit the description hmm

Aug 20 08 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

MissLoLo wrote:

I have, I don't understand where I don't fit the description hmm

I'm not SPRINGHEEL.

(I'm also beginning to think that everyone who tells me they love me just thinks I'm SPRINGHEEL)

Aug 20 08 05:29 pm Link

Model

MissLoLo

I'm sorry Fotographia Fantastique, I would love to hear any advice you can offer me and critique my port? smile xox

Aug 20 08 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

MissLoLo wrote:
I'm sorry Fotographia Fantastique, I would love to hear any advice you can offer me and critique my port? smile xox

O.K. - there's a looong wait, though.

Aug 20 08 05:49 pm Link

Model

MissLoLo

No problem! I'll check back in later, thank you!!

Aug 20 08 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Now on page 38.

Aug 20 08 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

yeikov make up artist wrote:

thks so much fpr the critique

You're welcome.

Aug 20 08 06:11 pm Link

Model

MissLoLo

love the new av

Aug 20 08 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Bil Brown

Los Angeles, California, US

Did I ever submit a request here?

Maybe maybe not. Ah.

Hi.

I would be greatful for a crit in-genre (it happens so seldom)..

(might want to tag me when it happens, these threads always seem to get lost to me...)

bb

Aug 20 08 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Mina Mori wrote:
I'd love a critique!  (please)

Mina Mori

Photo 1: This one is fine - I think it works because you're looking up.

Photo 2: Beautiful figure study. Good call arching your back.

Photo 3: This one is nice, if a bit lightweight.

Photo 4: Cool concept - but what exactly is the little you doing?

Photo 5: Ugh! This shot is making me dizzy. Hate it.

Photo 6: A simple, well done implied nude.

Photo 7: Technically the shot is fine, but what's it trying to say? Why are you naked in front of a backdrop holding a big chain. This looks like a test shot for a larger concept.

Photo 8: I don't like the relatively flat lighting, closed eye expression or severe cropping of this image (not to mention an intrusive watermark). This shot takes away from your port rather than adding to it.

Photo 9: This one is better. Seems to tell a story.

Photo 10: O.K., longtime readers of the DCP know I'm not a fan of selective desaturization. Especially selective desaturization with one item being red; It has just been done to death. This however, is an excellent shot. Probably your best one so far.

Photo 11: Very nice soft shot with a dash of latex fetish. Pretty.

Photo 12: Nice alt casual shot.

Photo 13: Haha, all I can think is, "Does it actually work?" and if so, why are you having your picture taken with a fuzzy digital camera when you've got that to play around with! I'm reminded of an episode of the TV show Mystery Science Theater 3000 where they were watching some bad movie, and in the movie the characters were watching Casablanca, and the comment was made, "You should never reference a good movie in your bad one!" That may be a bit of an extreme statement - this shot isn't bad really - but what I really want to see is the shot you just took of yourself.

Photo 14: Excellent. Your pose just exudes Dominatrix. In fact, although this is the most blatant expression of it, a lot of your shots exude a cool power under the surface.

Photo 15: A fine Page style pin-up.

Photo 16: I love this portrait of you.

Photo 17: This fine art black and white nude is really quite beautiful.

Photo 18: This grainy black and white one is also nice, but not as beautiful as #17.

Photo 19: Your pose seems a bit affected here, but it's still a very cool shot.

Photo 20: Here your stance seems a bit more natural, and what a great location.

In general I feel that you are halfway there - about 50% of your port is above average, and 50% is below average. A few more good shots to replace the ones that are just O.K., and you will be in pretty good shape.

sorry for the wait

Enjoy the night!

Aug 21 08 09:39 am Link

Model

Lilith Noir

Greenville, South Carolina, US

Mina Mori

Photo 1: This one is fine - I think it works because you're looking up.

Photo 2: Beautiful figure study. Good call arching your back.

Photo 3: This one is nice, if a bit lightweight.

Photo 4: Cool concept - but what exactly is the little you doing?

Photo 5: Ugh! This shot is making me dizzy. Hate it.

Photo 6: A simple, well done implied nude.

Photo 7: Technically the shot is fine, but what's it trying to say? Why are you naked in front of a backdrop holding a big chain. This looks like a test shot for a larger concept.

Photo 8: I don't like the relatively flat lighting, closed eye expression or severe cropping of this image (not to mention an intrusive watermark). This shot takes away from your port rather than adding to it.

Photo 9: This one is better. Seems to tell a story.

Photo 10: O.K., longtime readers of the DCP know I'm not a fan of selective desaturization. Especially selective desaturization with one item being red; It has just been done to death. This however, is an excellent shot. Probably your best one so far.

Photo 11: Very nice soft shot with a dash of latex fetish. Pretty.

Photo 12: Nice alt casual shot.

Photo 13: Haha, all I can think is, "Does it actually work?" and if so, why are you having your picture taken with a fuzzy digital camera when you've got that to play around with! I'm reminded of an episode of the TV show Mystery Science Theater 3000 where they were watching some bad movie, and in the movie the characters were watching Casablanca, and the comment was made, "You should never reference a good movie in your bad one!" That may be a bit of an extreme statement - this shot isn't bad really - but what I really want to see is the shot you just took of yourself.

Photo 14: Excellent. Your pose just exudes Dominatrix. In fact, although this is the most blatant expression of it, a lot of your shots exude a cool power under the surface.

Photo 15: A fine Page style pin-up.

Photo 16: I love this portrait of you.

Photo 17: This fine art black and white nude is really quite beautiful.

Photo 18: This grainy black and white one is also nice, but not as beautiful as #17.

Photo 19: Your pose seems a bit affected here, but it's still a very cool shot.

Photo 20: Here your stance seems a bit more natural, and what a great location.

In general I feel that you are halfway there - about 50% of your port is above average, and 50% is below average. A few more good shots to replace the ones that are just O.K., and you will be in pretty good shape.

sorry for the wait

Enjoy the night!

Thanks!  Now I know what to throw out when I get new pictures.
Your critique was worth the wait.

Aug 21 08 10:01 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

Please take a look at my 50's photos and tell me what you think. Thanks! ;-D

Aug 21 08 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Jessi Brooke wrote:
I'm up for it

Jessi Brooke

Oooh, a Hot Rod girl, this is going to be fun...

Photo 1: Leaning on that old beater in a beater is great, unfortunately, it's kind of a boring angle on both you and the car, and that trade show lighting is wretched.

Photo 2: This angle looks a bit more like it could be in a garage, but I wish the photographer had framed out those guys in the background.

Photo 3: Bad angle and too small. Also, you don't need all three of these - keep just #2.

Photo 4: I can't even critique this one - it's way too small.

Photo 5: This one could have been good, but it was ruined by bad Photoshopping. Maybe you could ask the photographer to send the raw image to a pro retoucher?

Photo 6: This simple pinup is the best shot so far.

Photo 7: This is an O.K. shot, but I think the photographer made an error in sepia toning it. It's obviously (by the building, lights and modern cars in the background) not a vintage shot - "faking" it with so many anachronisms just comes off as cheesy.

Photo 8: Much better. This is a far more believable vintage pin-up.

Photo 9: This shot is just bland.

Photo 10: I don't like it, it's way too contrived - again it looks like an auto show, that stool looks too carefully placed, and then the selective desaturization adds a further layer of phoneyness. Your good outfit and pose are wasted on this shot.

Photo 11: Your pose is great, the photo is not. This is the kind of shot it pains me to see - you are in great wardrobe and makeup and a real fun pose, but the shot is composed badly, and there's too much contrast (probably from bad Photoshopping). Ditch this one.

Photo 12: Again, I don't like the modern RV in the background, but I can excuse it, because this one is cool. It looks like it was shot on infrared film. The sunlight is casting some harsh shadows on your eyes, and it's not without it's flaws, but it's so sharp and well composed that I can't help but give it a thumbs up.

Photo 13: Nice pouty expression.

Photo 14: This shot is fine, but not nearly as good as #12.

As an aging rockabilly, I really wanted to like your port. As it stands, I think there's only one shot worth keeping for the long run and that's #12.
Maybe keep #s 2, 6, 8 and 11 for the short term.

Dump everything else, and find a good photographer to do some more shoots with.

Enjoy the night!

Aug 21 08 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Daniela Kenzie wrote:
me?

You!

Daniela Kenzie

Oh good, a VIP who's shown some restraint and only has 20 images up. No need to use the VIP rule with you - which is a good thing because I've been watching you since you first popped up on MM, and I'm glad to see you finally popped in here.

Oh, Hell, when did you move to CA - now I'll never get to work with you. sad .   Anyway...

First of all, your work is pretty uniformly outstanding. I'm going to have to get really nit-picky here if we are going to do some weeding.

Photo 1: Gorgeous, but I don't like that lens flare on your leg (told you I was going to be nit-picky).

Photo 2: Wonderful portrait.

Photo 3: Amazing, outstanding, A+++ to all involved!

Photo 4: This is a good shot, but I feel it was cropped a little too tight.

Photo 5: A yummy cross between fashion and uniform fetish. Good one.

Photo 6: What I was going to write was too close to the actual caption on this one, so I'll just say good job!

Photo 7: I love, love, love this close up - I wish the photographer had Photoshopped out some or all of the ringlight reflection in your eyes - but that's just a very minor quibble.

Photo 8: This one is really great, I'm pulled back and forth between seeing innocence and playful but scheming seduction in this series. That's a lot conveyed in three shots. Bravo.

Photo 9: I'm not crazy about the styling here, but that's pure personal preference. The photo itself is gorgeous black and white wide-eyed goodness.

Photo 10: I love both of these shots, I think they would work better as a side-by-side diptych (especially on the 'net where one has to scroll), but otherwise great.

Photo 11: Most photo collages would be better off viewed as individual shots. But this one totally works. The lighting, your expression and the makeup all combine for a really moody panel series.

Photo 12: Love the lighting and blowing hair here. Very dramatic.

Photo 13: Excellent high key portrait. You have several close ups, and they are all so different thanks to your expressive face.

Photo 14: O.K., here's one of those examples of a collage that should probably be broken up. I like the individual parts, but putting them all in one basket kind of undercuts them. Image #3 with the giant fan shadow is my favorite. Love to see that one in it's own pic slot.

Photo 15: Cute pin-up series (again best broken up). #1 is by far my favorite - it has the most personality.

Photo 16: I don't know why I like this one, I just do. It's definitely nice to see you outside. It's kind of a romantic shot (everybody just shut up, I can get all romantic too sometimes!)

Photo 17: This is a good shot to begin with, but the graphic overlays really strengthen it. Wonderful. You've had it in your port for a long time, but I never get sick of looking at it. And frankly, your breasts look fabulous in this shot.

Photo 18: This is a good shot, but the contrast is a little too high to really separate your dark top from the barbed wire in places. This is one that should have been done as a nude or in white lingerie. I still like it, though.

Photo 19: OMG, you look so ferocious it's unreal! I adore this one.

Photo 20: Is that chocolate? Stop it, you're making me hungry. Great poses and expressions.

You're portfolio is outstanding.
I hope you know which photos are the weakest from this critique, but frankly, you could just add new ones as you have no shots that are below average here.

sorry for the wait

Enjoy the night!

Aug 21 08 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

MrClaw Photography wrote:
check me please. self-taught with not much feedback

MrClaw Photography

Well, you're pretty new, so I'll try to be gentle.

Photo 1: O.K. the technique of selective desaturization is a pet peeve of mine (and many others). Many beginning photoshop users use (and abuse) this technique - especially with the color RED as the non-desaturated part of the shot (usually a rose or a red thong or scarf or something). Not that it can't be done well, it just needs to be thought through VERY carefully. Here for example, one corner of the model's tie is desaturated - this just ruins the effect. Frankly this would be a much better shot in straight black and white.

Photo 2: A fairly straightforward shibari shot with victim in seifuku dress. This too has become quite clichéd, but at least the lighting is semi-decent.

Photo 3: This one is O.K., but it succumbs to another pet peeve of mine - the Dutch angle shot is often abused, and here was unnecessary.

Photo 4: Decent rope dress, fair composition.

Photo 5: I like the tight cropping on this shot, although I'm not crazy about the watering cans in the shot especially the blue one that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Photo 6: When I was talking about new Photoshop users, I was going to mention the overuse of Gaussian blur too. This is an example of that. The composition isn't that great, and you've chopped off her fingers. I'd remove this shot.

If you're going to do bondage photography and use a name similar to Klaw, your setting up some pretty high expectations for the viewer.

I'd keep shot 4 and 5, and definitely shoot with some more models.

sorry for the wait

Enjoy the night!

Aug 21 08 12:25 pm Link

Model

Daniela Kenzie

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You!

Daniela Kenzie

Oh good, a VIP who's shown some restraint and only has 20 images up. No need to use the VIP rule with you - which is a good thing because I've been watching you since you first popped up on MM, and I'm glad to see you finally popped in here.

Oh, Hell, when did you move to CA - now I'll never get to work with you. sad .   Anyway...

First of all, your work is pretty uniformly outstanding. I'm going to have to get really nit-picky here if we are going to do some weeding.

Photo 1: Gorgeous, but I don't like that lens flare on your leg (told you I was going to be nit-picky).

Photo 2: Wonderful portrait.

Photo 3: Amazing, outstanding, A+++ to all involved!

Photo 4: This is a good shot, but I feel it was cropped a little too tight.

Photo 5: A yummy cross between fashion and uniform fetish. Good one.

Photo 6: What I was going to write was too close to the actual caption on this one, so I'll just say good job!

Photo 7: I love, love, love this close up - I wish the photographer had Photoshopped out some or all of the ringlight reflection in your eyes - but that's just a very minor quibble.

Photo 8: This one is really great, I'm pulled back and forth between seeing innocence and playful but scheming seduction in this series. That's a lot conveyed in three shots. Bravo.

Photo 9: I'm not crazy about the styling here, but that's pure personal preference. The photo itself is gorgeous black and white wide-eyed goodness.

Photo 10: I love both of these shots, I think they would work better as a side-by-side diptych (especially on the 'net where one has to scroll), but otherwise great.

Photo 11: Most photo collages would be better off viewed as individual shots. But this one totally works. The lighting, your expression and the makeup all combine for a really moody panel series.

Photo 12: Love the lighting and blowing hair here. Very dramatic.

Photo 13: Excellent high key portrait. You have several close ups, and they are all so different thanks to your expressive face.

Photo 14: O.K., here's one of those examples of a collage that should probably be broken up. I like the individual parts, but putting them all in one basket kind of undercuts them. Image #3 with the giant fan shadow is my favorite. Love to see that one in it's own pic slot.

Photo 15: Cute pin-up series (again best broken up). #1 is by far my favorite - it has the most personality.

Photo 16: I don't know why I like this one, I just do. It's definitely nice to see you outside. It's kind of a romantic shot (everybody just shut up, I can get all romantic too sometimes!)

Photo 17: This is a good shot to begin with, but the graphic overlays really strengthen it. Wonderful. You've had it in your port for a long time, but I never get sick of looking at it. And frankly, your breasts look fabulous in this shot.

Photo 18: This is a good shot, but the contrast is a little too high to really separate your dark top from the barbed wire in places. This is one that should have been done as a nude or in white lingerie. I still like it, though.

Photo 19: OMG, you look so ferocious it's unreal! I adore this one.

Photo 20: Is that chocolate? Stop it, you're making me hungry. Great poses and expressions.

You're portfolio is outstanding.
I hope you know which photos are the weakest from this critique, but frankly, you could just add new ones as you have no shots that are below average here.

sorry for the wait

Enjoy the night!

Aug 21 08 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Pathogenic Confessions wrote:
Am I in genre?

Oh, yes you are.

Pathogenic Confessions

Photo 1: Beautiful. This is one of the more relaxed looking poses I've seen someone do in a standing corset shot.

Photo 2: I generally don't like the shoulders hunched forward pose, but the photography here is first rate.

Photo 3-4: The jungle gym set is fun. Good shot.

Photo 5: I normally don't like the screwy Dutch angles, but with this wide angle shot it kind of works. Great wardrobe.

Photo 6: Pretty. The subdued color of the cincher was a good choice.

Photo 7: I've never really cared for this portrait, I think the lighting is a bit flat.

Photo 8-9 & 12: More nice outdoor shots; Although how many of you in that outfit do we really need?

Photo 10: Here's one where I think the Dutch angle doesn't work, and the tonality here is all muddied. It's really hard for me to give you any sort of feedback on pose, wardrobe, expression, etc. in a shot like this (sorry, Boyd).

Photo 11: MUCH better. An awesome composition. Your expression adds mystery without being unsubtle.

Photo 13: Not the best X-ray I've ever seen, but given how few people actually post x-ray photos, I have to give this one a thumbs up.

Photo 14: Nice and elegant.

Photo 15: Cool tat, bad photo.

I think I've suggested in the past that with a figure like yours, you would make a wicked cool nude figure model, but I won't push too hard on that. What I will push you on however is your desperate need for some turnover in your port. You've been here for two years, and the bulk of it is still made up of shots from Petrified Springs. You definitely need to shoot with some more people to add some variety.

sorry for the wait

Enjoy the night!

Aug 21 08 01:05 pm Link