This thread was locked on 2008-08-27 13:24:21
Forums > Critique > The Dark Critique Parlor

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

Some announcements

1) Please read the original post - in it's entirety before requesting a critique.

2) There is a long waiting list for critiques here - please be sure that you really want one, and that you'll be around to see it when it's done. I spend a lot of time and effort reviewing ports here. If you are not serious about your craft DO NOT post here.

3) I am not SPRINGHEEL. I'm sure he'd appreciate your accolades and messages in his port where he's much more likely to see them.

4) You are free to ask followup questions, but I do not want to get into running discussions about one person's port with so many waiting.

5) If you are critiqued here, please post a thanks or something in the thread so I know that you actually saw it. Please don't tag my port - I wish to keep that space for those interested in my photos. If you are interested in my work, you are welcome to leave pic comments there.

6) For ease of navigation among other things, this thread will end on page 50, and a new thread will begin. Rest assured even if you haven't been reviewed before the closure, you will not lose your place in line.

7) VIPs don't expect full port critiques (actually nobody should, but especially you guys with over 20 photos).

8) Oh yeah, when we reset there will be a new rule - any profile that hasn't been logged into in the last couple months will be skipped.

Aug 21 08 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Koffin Kitten wrote:
oh me smile

O.K. - VIP rules apply here. I'm just going to talk about a few.

*cues up the Revered Horton to browse KK's pics*

Koffin Kitten

Photos 2, 20 & 22: Collin J.'s footwork is fabulous, but you don't need all of these. Pic one and pull the others.

Photos 4, 12 & 16: Same goes for the bloodletting. I recommend #12.

Photo 10: Viewing this photo is a religious experience! Bravo!!!

Photo 19: This "hand bra" shot is easily the weakest in your port and really ought to go.

Photos 6, 7, 17, 18 & 25: These are all decent enough shots, but they could be any model, and you are not just any old model. I'm not saying they should go yet, but if you want to make deeper cuts in the port than the ones suggested above, take a look at these.

sorry for the wait

Enjoy the night!
- fotographia fantastique

Aug 21 08 02:55 pm Link

Model

Angela Vengeance

Rochester, Minnesota, US

great idea for this forum/thread,, i am trying to get my portfolio to be alternative/pin up.  I am having a hard time findong photogs thatw ant to work with this in my area,, but this i what i have so far. let me know what you think,,,, i also want some dark/gothic/gorror/horror, fetish style, so i have my fingers crossed

yikes)

Aug 21 08 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Fotographia Fantastique wrote:
3) I am not SPRINGHEEL. I'm sure he'd appreciate your accolades and messages in his port where he's much more likely to see them.

Oh jeez, is that happening?

Sorry about that man....

Aug 21 08 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

SPRINGHEEL wrote:
Oh jeez, is that happening?

Sorry about that man....

It's actually been happening for a long time.
What can I say? People don't know how to read. hmm

Far more annoying are the people who post here who have a port full of bikini, import car show or mainstream catalogue shots. (Or those who join MM, post here for a critique and then log out for good).

Glad you're still following the thread, though.

Aug 21 08 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

It's actually been happening for a long time.
What can I say? People don't know how to read. hmm

Far more annoying are the people who post here who have a port full of bikini, import car show or mainstream catalogue shots. (Or those who join MM, post here for a critique and then log out for good).

Glad you're still following the thread, though.

Its terrible though....you're doing a bang up job on this and I'd hate to think people aren't giving YOU the recognition you deserve...

Want to maybe have the mods close this down at a certain point and you can restart it if you want under your own name?

Oh yeah, the people with only one shot that might kinda fit or absolutely NONE at all were a pain...man, that use to get to me too...the ones that were on the fence were the worst for me though...the ones that were ALMOST qualified but something was missing...

I'm glad you're back to doing it....I've been catching up on the thread and I gotta say, we agree about 80% of the time...

The Parlor is a great hands...thanks my friend....

Aug 21 08 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

I *think* My images are new compared to last time tongue

Aug 21 08 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

SPRINGHEEL wrote:
Want to maybe have the mods close this down at a certain point and you can restart it if you want under your own name?

Yes and no.
I've been planning on closing this thread at page 50 ever since the days when threads used to get locked at page 50 for being too long. It's a nice even number and everybody gets a heads-up in advance. If they won't let me lock it at page 50, I'll refer 'em to you.

SPRINGHEEL wrote:
Oh yeah, the people with only one shot that might kinda fit or absolutely NONE at all were a pain...man, that use to get to me too...the ones that were on the fence were the worst for me though...the ones that were ALMOST qualified but something was missing...

I've had some really tough calls recently. Ones that were mostly fashion - but now that the fashion industry is co-opting so much of our scene style, where do you draw the line?

But I don't blame any of those people for asking here.
It's the ones that clearly have not and will not ever work in the genre, but just post here because, hey it's another critique thread, that get me.

SPRINGHEEL wrote:
The Parlor is a great hands...thanks my friend....

Thanks, glad you like. Stop back in yourself when we roll over into the new thread.

Aug 21 08 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Dark Nightmare wrote:
oh maybe i thought i did sorry
can i got one when you have time

Dark Nightmare

Photos 1: An unremarkable semi-nude.

Photos 2: The angle on this is very cool. It also has a bit of a claustrophobic feel. Your pose is not the standard bathtub one, and last of all it shows off your tattoo. Nice.

Photo 3: Talk to your photographer about this - there's too much text over the image here. I could live with the (Ack!) MySpace notice, but the writing over top of you is annoying and redundant.

Photo 4: This series is great, although there are a few too many panels here, particularly down that right side.

Photos 5: Beautiful close up.

Photos 6: Not in genre.

Photos 7: This bondage shot is really cheesy.

Photo 8: Well, the rope work is good at least. Not as cheesy as #7, but it really doesn't do anything for you.

Photo 9: Not in genre.

Photos 10: A lot of us find shots where the model is lying on her back and looking upside down tedious. I usually only like it if other aspects of the shot are really good. Unless there is a good reason for it, you should avoid this pose.

Photos 11: Ugh! The "hand bra" is another horribly clichéd pose, and this shot isn't even in focus. Delete it - like yesterday.

Photos 12: Everything is just a little off here - the composition, your pose, etc. You have a much better close up in #5 - keep that one and ditch this one.

Photo 13: A so-so black and white.

Photo 14: The concept is cool here, but the execution isn't as exciting as the subject matter. Nice pose - the photographer should have gotten it from a better angle, though.

Photos 15: Speaking of angles - yet another hoary cliché we see in beginner ports is the "Dutch angle" or "Batman villain angle" shot. 9 times out of 10 it's dreadful, and in a photo that's just snapshot quality like this, it's downright wretched. Delete. Seriously, delete it.

Photos 16-19: Not in genre.

Photos 20: The angle, pose and tight cropping make this nude shot better than it otherwise would have been. It's fine.

You're new, but you've been here most of a year. As it stands right now, you're port has all the bad shots and cliché poses we see too often from newbie models. Your port needs a major overhaul. First take out the worst 10 shots. Book with some good photographers. Hire one really outstanding photographer if you can (seriously, it is worth the money). I also recommend buying a book on posing, one great resource is arts supply stores or fine arts sections of bookstores that sometimes have books full of page after page of a model posing for artists' reference. If that's too pricey (they tend to be), buy a stack of magazines of all different genres (fashion, mens magazines, lifestyle magazines, art magazines, etc.) While you are waiting for your upcoming shoots, practice posing in the mirror. If you follow all this advice you should make some landmark improvements.

Enjoy the night!

Aug 22 08 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

A I O N wrote:
Is this only open to models? Or is a photographer/artist OK too?

A I O N

Photos 1-4, 9, 11: Really cool images, but since this is [i[Model[/i] Mayhem, I'm going to restrict my critiques to things that vaguely look human.

Photos 5: This is an example of a shot where the Dutch camera angle is effectively used for artistic effect - it adds to the overall composition rather than detracting from it (I hope other people are reading this). A fine piece of contemporary art.

Photos 6: O.K., if I can do True Horrors toys, Stacey's dolls and that dude from Colorado's plaster casts, I guess this is close enough. I like the sense of movement here. Only thing I don't like is the frame around the shot.

Photos 7: Fantastic, reminiscent of Patrick Nagel, but with the fluidity of some of the modern Chinese ink painters.

Photo 8: Excellent. Very dramatic.

Photos 10: A strong composition to begin with, but made even better by the iridescent glow effect. Superb.

Photos 12: This self portrait, and a lot of your luminescent work bears a slight resemblance to the work of Alex Grey. It has a mystical quality to it. Beautiful.

Photo 13: An homage to V. Nice.

Photo 14: Dark and mysterious. Well done.

Photos 15: This body paint shot is unlike just about any other I've seen here. Good job!

Photos 16: Not my favorite piece you've done, but unique and artistic nonetheless.

Photos 17: O.K., this one is a bit affected, but excusable. Perhaps a bit of Photoshopping could really launch this one to a higher plane.

Photo 18: Excellent portrait.

Photo 19: Not as strong as the rest of your work, but still quite nice.

Your work is inspiring.
Your Photoshopped photos are your real WOWers, so I wouldn't shy away from P-shopping everything here. If you don't want to do that, maybe you should start yet another port for your artistic work that is heavily stylized in Photoshop and another for your less manipulated shots.
Just an idea.

Enjoy the night!

Aug 22 08 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

iamthemikeb wrote:
Im down! I only have a few rows of photos

Not any more you don't.

iamthemikeb

Photos 1: Nearly perfect. The only thing I don't like is that shadow on her chin.

Photos 2: Beautiful. Not your best, but nice.

Photo 3: Very cool. Love the angle on this one.

Photo 4: Outstanding. I really like the variety of textures here.

Photos 5: I like this one a lot too, although I wish you hadn't pushed the skin tones quite so far apart.

Photos 6: Nice location, but this is a bit too much of a "standard band photo" for you.

Photos 7: Wonderful portrait in super high contrast.

Photo 8: Simple and beautiful, a nice counterpoint to all your In-Your-Face shots.

Photo 9: This one is very slick. It should appeal to a wide audience.

Photos 10: I love it. The photo retouching gives an unreal look to this and many of your other photos.

Photos 11: Awesome. That is one ugly ass cat.

Photos 12: Nice use of a limited color palette here.

Photo 13: This is great. Lots of raw emotion. One can almost visualize it playing out on a movie screen.

Photo 14: I like it a lot. I wish it was a little more evenly lit - just a tiny bit - because I'd like to see a few more details, especially in the foreground, but still it's excellent.

Photos 15: I recently did a snake scarf type shot myself, but I think I like your better.

Photos 16: Wow, two photographers in a row who do Dutch angle shots that don't make me barf. Seriously, this is very well composed.

Photos 17: This one's a lot of fun, although I'd rearrange the panels to show growing intensity from left to right - but that's just me.

Photo 18: Actually this one is kind of boring. It lacks the spark of a lot of your other shots.

Photo 19: This one is O.K., but also is not as outstanding as about 80% of your other images here.

Photos 20: This close up is killer.

The vast majority of your work is outstanding.
Yours is a style that is very hot right now too, so I imagine business should be great.

Enjoy the night!

Aug 22 08 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

EvilxTart wrote:
Please ... moi ?

No.
You aren't here anymore.

Aug 22 08 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Spyro wrote:

Thank you!  It took me a moment though because I reorganized my photos in between your post and my reading it.  I was so excited when I realized I was next and am very happy with your critique.

Glad to be of service.

Aug 22 08 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Jordan Divine wrote:
can I have a critique? i think I fit the genre.

Well... maybe...

Jordan Divine

First two rows: Not in genre.

Photo 9: Nice. Love the colors here. Good pose.

Photos 10: Nice pose, nice outfit, but Ugh! that nail polish clashes like you wouldn't believe.

Photos 11: Very sexy.

Photos 12, 13: Wonderful black and white portraits.

Photo 14: This is a great series. My only complaint is that a few of your poses were a little too similar to one another.

Photos 15: This tear sheet isn't the greatest shot in the world, but it is in genre - contrast it with shot #8 (also of your left side) that one is a much better photo, but not a good genre shot (the bikini and the angle don't show off your art enough for it to be a tattoo shot, and the cropping is too tight for pin-up). Hey, this shot got you on the cover - it's great for that market -  but I wouldn't actually rank it really high quality wise overall. Although the magazine layout artist could have messed it up some, or it could have been a poor scan.

Photos 16: Yup, if this shot is from the same set as the Tattoo Life shot, as it appears to be, the magazine's layout artist messed up Tom's great contrast (and is probably guilty for chopping your fingers off in #15 too. This one is way better, although I prefer your pose in #15.

Photos 17: There's a classic pin-up pose. We knew you had it in you!

Photo 18: A good color close up. The light reflecting off the backdrop is a little overpowering, but you do look good here.

Photo 19, 20: Not in genre.

O.K., I let you squeak in this time, but at least half your port is not in genre, and the rest is on the edge of mainstream fashion, beauty and glamor. You're welcome to come back for another review if/when you get a little more alt stuff in there.

Enjoy the night!

Aug 22 08 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

A LaRue

San Francisco, California, US

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Aug 22 08 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Dark Angel Photography wrote:
OK, I'm game...   Critique Away...

peace and grease...

O.K., but first - VIP rules apply. I'm not going to do all 30+ shots.
Also, I'm going to skip the the ones that were not done by you, Although you might be interested to see that an auction sold a lot of vintage photos including a print like your Bel Sha Zaar one bearing the same inscription - if it's of interest to you, you can see it here: http://www.aspireauctions.com/auction13 … /2291.html

Dark Angel Photography

Photos 2-3: Not in genre.

Photo 4: This person holding skull Hamlet style has been done to death, and this skull doesn't even look real. The Dutch angle just grates.

Photos 5: As crime scene shots go, this one lacks punch.

Photos 6-13: Not in genre.

Photo 14: Another horrendous Dutch angle shot, not framed well either.

Photos 15-18: Not in genre.

Photo 19: Interesting poses by models, but a little sloppy on the technical side.

Photos 20: This one is too small to evaluate properly.

Photos 21: O.K., but if you're going to go in for a macro shot, you should sharpen up your focus.

Photo 22: Not in genre.

Photos 23: Vintage styling yes, but there are some anachronisms such as the grounded power outlets on the left that are not only ugly, but destroy the illusion as well. Again, avoid that Dutch angle.

Photos 24: A nice effort. Try to control your light sources better, those handcuffs are casting at least 3 shadows that are unattractive and distracting.

Photo 25: This is about the best "vintage" looking shot you have. The model's pose isn't the best, but at least you framed her up well. Again watch your focus and light sources.

Photos 26: I  love 50s rockabilly type shots, but this looks like a snapshot taken in front of a Johnny Rocket's. The angle and framing are weak, and there are all sorts of things around the edges of the frame that ought not have been included.

Photo 27: Again, your concepts far outstrip the execution - leading to a snapshot look. With so much space at the top, you oughtn't have chopped her off at the ankles. Again, watch that focus.

Photos 28: Uh... O.K.

Photo 29-32: These might or might not be genre shots, but many of the things I pointed out in the above shots apply here too, so I'll leave off here to avoid too much repetition.

I can clearly see that you have a passion for vintage and retro themes. However, either you're being incredibly careless in setting up your shots (I hope not), or more likely you lack the skills to fully realize your vision.
My recommendation is to take a digital photography class, and then practice, practice, practice.

Enjoy the night!

Aug 22 08 05:39 pm Link

Model

Mandie Sunshine

Baltimore, Maryland, US

me please!

Aug 22 08 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Angel Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

O.K., but first - VIP rules apply. I'm not going to do all 30+ shots.
Also, I'm going to skip the the ones that were not done by you, Although you might be interested to see that an auction sold a lot of vintage photos including a print like your Bel Sha Zaar one bearing the same inscription - if it's of interest to you, you can see it here: http://www.aspireauctions.com/auction13 … /2291.html

I never said that I took that shot if you read the caption...
Bel-Sha-Zaar is My Mother, and I posted it for her because i am proud of her as my inspiration to get into photography.   I was well aware of the auction long ago, and I have been the sole owner of about 300+ promotional pictures of her career  from the late 40s through the early 80s...

Thank you very much for the critique...   The Images here are experiments in new areas that i am just starting to do. I am a freelance photojournalist by trade for numerous rockabilly, vintage lifestyle magazines (mostly cover vintage automobile, vintage aircraft events, etc)...

thank you again and peace out...

Aug 22 08 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Dark Angel Photography wrote:

I never said that I took that shot if you read the caption...
Bel-Sha-Zaar is My Mother, and I posted it for her because i am proud of her as my inspiration to get into photography.   I was well aware of the auction long ago, and I have been the sole owner of about 300+ promotional pictures of her career  from the late 40s through the early 80s...

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were trying to pass that photo off as your own. I was aware that it was a shot of your mother. I pointed out the auction in case you wanted to try to get ahold of more of them.

Aug 23 08 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Jellokittie wrote:
I'm baaaack!
*evil grin*

Yay, it's Jellokittie!

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2348/2145218820_d30be90698.jpg

Jellokittie

Photos 1-3: Previously critiqued.

Photo 4: I like the loose feel to it. Maybe not a longtime keeper, but kind of neat.

Photos 5-10: Previously critiqued.

Photos 11: Previously critiqued, but so awesome that it needs to be praised again!

Photos 12: Probably previously critiqued; i like it a lot - your expression is awesome. This is one of those shots where I don't even mind the Dutch angle, because it works.

Photo 13: Here I don't care for the Dutch angle, but Stu's light and shadow composition is great. The pose is appropriate for a moody black and white.

Photo 14-18: Previously critiqued.

Photo 19: Awesome. The only thing I don't like about it is the creator stamp across the center. Good emoting.

Photos 20: Previously critiqued.

So where do we stand on year later?
I like your port. It's improved, but I don't think that it's as good as it could be.
A few of what I consider to be among your lesser shots have hung on, while some of the shots that I thought were better have been dropped.
I think without even booking another shoot, you could improve the port by bringing back a shot or two of the more risk-taking, artistic Jellokittee variety.
If you need space, take a long hard look at replacing one or two of the shots from this group: 6-9, 14 & 17.

(luv ya, A.)
Enjoy the night!

Aug 23 08 04:34 pm Link

Model

MissLoLo

Leonardtown, Maryland, US

did i miss my turn?

Aug 25 08 12:18 am Link

Model

Marlo Dell'Antonio

New York, New York, US

When you have the chance, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Kind Regards,
Marlo

Aug 25 08 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

O.K. - there's a looong wait, though.

MissLoLo wrote:
did i miss my turn?

No.

There is a long wait.
There is a VERY LONG wait.

This is a popular thread.
This is a very thorough critique.

There is a VERY LONG WAIT.

Aug 25 08 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

TanyaDal wrote:
I would like a critic please smile

TanyaDal

You're relatively new, let's see...

Photos 1: Not in genre.

Photo 2: It's O.K. for a starter port, but you're going to want to upgrade it soon. It also doesn't quite live up to the darkness of the verse beneath it.

Photos 3: Not in genre.

Photos 4: This is nice, one of the better shots you have right now.

Photos 5: The splashes of color from the red gloves make this one more attractive.

Photo 6: This is a great shot. Very artistic. You could probably delete every shot in your port and leave this one and you'd be in good shape.

Photo 7: It's good that you have a shot close up on your face.

Photo 8: This shot is O.K. for what it is.

Photos 9: Something about these gothy shots in the woods just isn't working. Again, the lyrics below are more powerful than the image above.

Photos 10: I like what you are trying to do here with the three different reflections. Keep at it, unique concepts like this are much better than you in the costume-y looking goth dress in the woods.

Photo 11: This might be passable if it weren't for the horrible graphics.

Photos 12: Nice pose. Maybe keep this one and get rid of all the others where you are wearing the same outfit.

Photos 13: Nice low light shot.

Photos 14: There are too many distracting elements surrounding you in this photo that take the emphasis off you.

Photo 15: This is O.K., kind of a midling shot in your port.

Photo 16: Adding the other model and putting this one in black and white helped immensely. This is the best from this set.

Photo 17: As much as I hate the selective desaturization shots, this is the best portrait you have of yourself, so you should keep it.

Photo 18: This photo collage lacks any sort of impact.

Photo 19: Pretty colors and nice scenery here.

Photos 20: This selective colorization shot, however is wretched. Get rid of it.

O.K., if you really are interested in moving forward in the alt genre, take this advice.
Delete photos 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 11, 14, 18 and 20.
Keep the rest, but do not upload any more shots unless they are definitely better than the rest.
You do not need to fill all your photo slots. Your port is better without the weaker shots, even if you aren't using all 20 slots.

ALSO - you have many shots in your Photobucket that are as good or better than the majority of your shots here. I strongly encourage you to upload some of those here.

Enjoy the night!

Aug 25 08 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Oculus Mentis wrote:
Let me know what you think. Leave a comment or tag in my portfolio as trying to find the results in treads are just so damned hard.

Oculus Mentis

Photos 1: Love it. A very stirring composition.

Photo 2: Another great black and white piece. The tracks in the ground look like they are off plane, but other than that I really like it. Clearly shows a Dali influence.

Photos 3: Wonderful. I am glad you did this one in color. My only preference here would be that you had covered the part of the model at the bottom of the frame with soil too - but that's a minor issue.

Photos 4: Another excellent composition. This one reminds me of the paintings of Jacek Yerka.

Photos 5: Another great one. I can't decide if I like just the face, or this longer one with the torso better. They're both great!

Photo 6: This shot is fine, but it isn't as mind-blowing as the rest of your work.

Photo 7: Possum-in-effect! Strange and wonderful.

Photo 8: This is more than a little creepy. Bravo.

Oculus, you are a master of the surreal.
With the exception of #6, there isn't a shot here I didn't wish I had done.
Gallery exhibit - now!

Enjoy the night!

Aug 25 08 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Jezzabelle wrote:
I'm game, hit me with the brutal truth!

Well, you asked for it.
The brutal truth is that your entire port is filled with snapshots.
There isn't a single shot that I would consider a quality photo.
This is NOT good after six months of being on MM. With shots badly out of focus and/or webcam looking, I'm kind of surprised your profile was approved.

My recommendation - delete all of them and start over.

Aug 25 08 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Lizzy Borden wrote:
i know i am soo in the beginning stages, but if you could look through my port and give me any constructive criticism or suggestions, i'd be so grateful! smile  i'd really like to know what i can do to become better

Lizzy Borden

Photos 1: Not bad. Nice eye contact with the camera. It would be nice if you put in the names of the photographer and other model.

Photo 2: O.K. (I don't like the border the photographer put around it so much, though)

Photos 3: Good. Very expressive.

Photos 4: This is a well done standing shot. Very nice.

Photos 5: This shot is O.K., nice relaxed pose.

Photo 6: Moody, and with an interesting pose.

Photo 7: Nice, though it would have had more impact without the pearls in your gun hand.

Photo 8: A fine looking portrait.

Photos 9: Good. I'm glad you had at least one close up in here.

Photos 10: Nice dramatic feel to this one. Good expression.

Photo 11: I like this one because it is different from the other shots - the falls really change your appearance.

Photos 12: Not crazy about the way the photographer handled this shot, but you did great - pose and expression are awesome.

Photos 13: Nice job by the MUA in this one.

Overall, your port is O.K. Not good, not bad, just O.K.
It's clear that you have the posing and expression aspect down much better than many new models (way better actually).
All you need is to shoot with more good photographers and slowly your port will fill with good shots.

Enjoy the night!

Aug 25 08 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Broken Ghost

Daylesford, Victoria, Australia

Would love to get a critique... please? (nearly forgot the magic word)

Aug 25 08 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Philippe Jardin wrote:
I just did my first "dark" pictures and would love to hear what you think :-)

We don't just do "dark" here, and there are some great photos you have that fit in here, the dark ones, of course, but also some really nice fine art pieces and pinups.

Philippe Jardin

Photos 1 & 4: Really shows off a talented MUA.
I don't really care for hand bra shots like #19, though.
22 is an excellent example of the stereotypically "dark" concepts we like to see.
26 is an awesome pinup shot.
32, while thematically dark, doesn't really stand out in the genre particularly. You might keep it to show that you are open to doing such concepts, though.
#48 is, I believe, one of your best shots. Very nice use of low key lighting.
You might consider dropping #46 - I don't think it shows off your talent very well.

Well, there's a quick overview.
Sorry about the wait, and that I can't give detailed critique to V.I.P.'s

Aug 25 08 01:01 pm Link

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

Lizzy Borden

Photos 1: Not bad. Nice eye contact with the camera. It would be nice if you put in the names of the photographer and other model.

Photo 2: O.K. (I don't like the border the photographer put around it so much, though)

Photos 3: Good. Very expressive.

Photos 4: This is a well done standing shot. Very nice.

Photos 5: This shot is O.K., nice relaxed pose.

Photo 6: Moody, and with an interesting pose.

Photo 7: Nice, though it would have had more impact without the pearls in your gun hand.

Photo 8: A fine looking portrait.

Photos 9: Good. I'm glad you had at least one close up in here.

Photos 10: Nice dramatic feel to this one. Good expression.

Photo 11: I like this one because it is different from the other shots - the falls really change your appearance.

Photos 12: Not crazy about the way the photographer handled this shot, but you did great - pose and expression are awesome.

Photos 13: Nice job by the MUA in this one.

Overall, your port is O.K. Not good, not bad, just O.K.
It's clear that you have the posing and expression aspect down much better than many new models (way better actually).
All you need is to shoot with more good photographers and slowly your port will fill with good shots.

Enjoy the night!

*whew* i expected so much worse! i'll take an "okay" over "bad" any day! smile
oops, i never credited the photographer for that image? F*ck, on my way to do that right now.
Thank you!

Aug 25 08 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Dixie Lux wrote:
I'd love a critique!

Dixie Lux

Photos 1: Very artistic. A wonderful photo.

Photo 2: I think this is a little overphotoshopped. It's close, but I don't think it quite works. Can't knock the attempt, though.

Photos 3: You look beautiful here. Too bad the lighting isn't the best.

Photos 4: Beautiful black and white here.

Photos 5: I like this one even better. So simple, yet so complex at the same time.

Photo 6: Old time Hollywood glamour is a passion of mine. I enjoy shooting this stuff, and I enjoy seeing it. I think this is so good it could pass for a George Hurrell original.

Photo 7: Posing with the statues, fun but what else can you show us?

Photo 8: Not in genre.

Photos 9: A great tribute to the Bara/vamp look.

Photos 10: This is a lovely composition. I like your alert but passive pose.

Photo 11: This is a fantastic image. Excellent job with the pose!

Photos 12: This is the portrait that #3 wants to be. Keep this lose that one.

Photos 13: What's with the weird border here? Never mind. This is another great shot with a soupçon of vintage.

Photos 14: Love you in this photo. Not so crazy about the photo. This is another case of shooting at the wrong hour - that sunlight is just too harsh.

Photo 15: More Theda Bara-ish goodness.

Photo 16: Some of the wall decor is a little too self-consciously retro, but the photographer did a good job of mitigating it. It is, at least at a glance, convincingly authentic. Very nice.

Photo 17: O.K., normally I hate mock up magazine covers - but here's the thing, usually they are modern magazines and the photographer/model are trying to put one over on us, like we're going to believe it's a real tear sheet. But these vintage magazine cover tributes are awesome. I love the tinted look of this, and you really helped pull off the period style.

Photo 18: Simple but beautiful pinup.

Photo 19: Gorgeous. A selective desaturization shot that I like (another rarity).

Photos 20: Beautiful. Looks like a Noh promotional shot.

You have a great look for the vintage, retro and classic pinup styles. I'm glad you like these alternative genres. Aside from a few weak shots, your portfolio is in good standing.

Enjoy the night!

Aug 25 08 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

West Wendover, Nevada, US

Well, Springheel got me, but I could use another critique. It's always nice to be remembered. Please just tag me if/when you get to me, so I know to come back and check.

Aug 25 08 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

This thread to be locked.

Look for 'The Dark Critique Parlor pt 2'

(Don't worry, we will take everybody who is already in line before anyone new.)

Aug 27 08 01:17 pm Link

Model

Model Mayhem

El Segundo, California, US

Aug 27 08 01:23 pm Link