Forums > General Industry > Are pre-shoot meetings actually just a coffee date

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Taylor Kate f wrote:
Side note: The last time I agreed to one, I arrived to meet the photographer (a male much older than me). He proceeded to tell me he actually wanted me to do a NUDE YOGA shoot. He also said he wanted to take me shopping to buy lingerie for the shoot, despite it being a nude shoot??? Needless to say, I never worked with him and my time was wasted. Though, the free Starbucks was nice XD

Can anyone else relate to this?

Are you saying your agency connected you to this photographer?

Generally I view pre shoot phone or face yo face conversations as a type of go see, (for model as well as photographer.) If something feels off for either of us its better to go d out before a shoot. Looks like your example above proved useful really.
Jen

Jan 16 19 05:18 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

udor wrote:
I usually don't have a coffee meet with models, as I am working mostly on order by either agencies, magazines, designers or other industry people.

I also get hired to shoot model portfolios in my fashion editorial style.

However, I have been approached by the occasional model that wants to shoot with me and asks for trade.

Right now, I was approached by a singer, that recently performed at Carnegie Hall, via a recommendation by a photographer friend, to work with her for a set.

I am actually contemplating a "coffee date" with her, to see what she has in mind, because she also will provide makeup artist and hair stylist.

Then I am seeing this thread and the model's responses and I am confused.

Never thought of coming off as a middle aged creep until now.

Professionally... she approached me, she has some gowns and a designer, and I just don't see anything wrong with meeting prior to the shoot to discuss ideas, concepts and logistics.

This is starting to become a world I am not familiar with anymore.

Weird!

Random Jen to Udor interjection here:

Udor my love, what was the name of the restaurant that we first met at? Do you remember? I'm very glad we met! Although we've never met one on one to shoot 😊
Jen
P.s. you are NO creep at all

Jan 16 19 05:35 am Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Sliver-Sliver wrote:

Interesting. I would have seen this as the very description of time well-spent, as opposed to the alternative of not having gone to the meeting, and then finding out mid-shoot that each other's ways of working did not align.

This is actually a really good point. A coffee date will probably be close to 30 minutes and the model found out a shoot with the photographer was a bad idea.

Jan 16 19 07:23 am Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

it all depends on how good the communication is before the shoot. quite frankly most people suck at that and you have to meet them in person to get anything real out of them.

Jan 16 19 10:30 am Link

Photographer

MarkGerrardPhotography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

It's rare that I shoot 1-1 with a model I've never worked with before.

I prefer to do "workshops" or group shoots as most of them should be called.  That way the cost is lower for me and I can judge whether or not it's going to be a good working relationship or not.

The 1-1s I did do where I'd not shot with the model before while living in the US usually ended up turning to s**t

The only one I have done since being back in the UK went great!

Jan 16 19 11:37 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Jen B wrote:
Random Jen to Udor interjection here:

Udor my love, what was the name of the restaurant that we first met at? Do you remember? I'm very glad we met! Although we've never met one on one to shoot 😊
Jen
P.s. you are NO creep at all

Awwww..., thanks Jen!  smile

That was the famous "Coffee Shop" on Union Square. The one that was started by two models and the wait staff and bartenders were all in the fashion industry.

Sad to say... they closed down last year... hmm

There goes the neighborhood!  sad

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgr … 1d755010a0

Well... at least you have been there and had a good time! borat

Jan 16 19 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

udor wrote:

Awwww..., thanks Jen!  smile

That was the famous "Coffee Shop" on Union Square. The one that was started by two models and the wait staff and bartenders were all in the fashion industry.

Sad to say... they closed down last year... hmm

There goes the neighborhood!  sad

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgr … 1d755010a0

Well... at least you have been there and had a good time! borat

Hate to admit it but I don't remember the restaurant--Senility setting in I guess.  My favorite places for meets are the Barnes & Noble on Union Square or else the one on E. 86th St--Not as noisy as Starbucks, etc. and you can actually have a conversation there.  I may try the one in the Capital One bank on Union, though.  Doesn't seem to get too crowded and it pleases my sense of the bizarre as a please to plan a shoot.

Jan 16 19 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I don't meet models ahead of time. But if it is important it would seem like it would be possible to use something like FaceTime for a quick conference before agreeing to shoot. I realize it's not the same as a real face to face but seems like it would work to some degree.

For what I do I don't find the need and don't really want to waste the time for a pre meeting.

Jan 19 19 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

In a word no they are not a coffee date.  I don't shoot fashion I shoot art nudes. Before I shoot a model who I have never worked with before I try to set up a half hour meeting. I let the model name the place and I let her bring someone along if she wants to.

I want to be able to show the model some of my work as well as discuss my process for the shoot.

If a model wants to show up without knowing anything about the photographer or his work looking to take their $250 for two hours of the same poses she does with every other photographer paying her $250. That's great except I have no interest working with those models or giving them my money.

Now once we have had that meeting and a great first shoot then I don't really need to meet with them again. A phone call or text is all that is necessary.

Jan 19 19 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Sermon

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Perhaps it's a good thing you met for coffee and not on set.

Taylor Kate f wrote:

Yes. Well. XD
He just said he was looking for a model and didn't specify nude or yoga even, until we met in person.

Jan 21 19 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

Yeah. I know the feeling. I've had models use a coffee date to creep on me.  It's so annoying!

Jan 21 19 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Barry Kidd Photography wrote:
Yeah. I know the feeling. I've had models use a coffee date to creep on me.  It's so annoying!

Are you sure that wasn't the visiting nurse, Barry?  LOL!

Jan 21 19 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

Todd Meredith wrote:

Are you sure that wasn't the visiting nurse, Barry?  LOL!

Shhhh.  That was supposed to be a secret.

Jan 21 19 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

KModel Photography

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

Taylor Kate f wrote:
.. Am I the only one that finds pre-shoot coffee dates odd? ..

I sometimes get asked by models for a pre-shoot coffee date.
But if its a model I don't know I presonally like the concept of a "casting call" or audition the best.
Especially if the shoot I have in mind involves a significant investment (setup, travel, makeup, planning, rentals, etc).
For me a casting call is a mini-shoot, a chance to see how the model works, how photogenic they are, how they respond to direction and ability to interpret the concept. It typically won't involve any nudity, payment, major travel or wardrobe. I give them a half-hour. We of course see how each other works and talk about experience and the possibilities. 
Having been through an era of no-shows (flakes), its minimal cost to see if its real.

Jan 21 19 07:03 pm Link