Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Pay your models!

Photographer

Rick Fink

Austin, Texas, US

I really think that photogs should generally pay models for shoots!

I try to get paid work for a lot of the models I work with but keep running into the fact that many experienced photogs want to do trades or get paid themselves!

My feeling is that the model and I co-create the images but since I ask her to sign a release form she should get paid.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because I see talented models and photogs butting heads over should a nude shoot be paid or trade.

Then there's the implication that any photog worth his salt won't pay models and only the GWC's pay.

Even if it's a totally trade shoot I'll offer the model $25 for her signature on the release form.

Mar 01 11 07:56 am Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

The point of a trade shoot is to trade. For her time she is getting useable photos for her port. If The model does not feel the photographers work is good enough then the model should charge.

No one is forcing models to work TF*.

Mar 01 11 08:00 am Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Rick Fink wrote:

I try to get paid work for a lot of the models I work with but keep running into the fact that many experienced photogs want to do trades or get paid themselves!

My feeling is that the model and I co-create the images but since I ask her to sign a release form she should get paid.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because I see talented models and photogs butting heads over should a nude shoot be paid or trade.

Then there's the implication that any photog worth his salt won't pay models and only the GWC's pay.

Even if it's a totally trade shoot I'll offer the model $25 for her signature on the release form.

That's great and all, but everyone's ways of doing things are different, and each individual has the right to throw their policies out the window if the right opportunity arises. 

I've seen plenty of models who will work nude TF* with the right photographer.  I also know that some of the folks with huge glaring "NO TF*!!" banners have worked TF* with the right model.

Mar 01 11 08:02 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Rachel Jay wrote:

That's great and all, but everyone's ways of doing things are different, and each individual has the right to throw their policies out the window if the right opportunity arises. 

I've seen plenty of models who will work nude TF* with the right photographer.  I also know that some of the folks with huge glaring "NO TF*!!" banners have worked TF* with the right model.

what she said smile

Mar 01 11 08:04 am Link

Photographer

K I S S

Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom

If a model was pro and would benefit me...ofcourse i would.
But why would i pay for every "model"..  when we need each other to benefit?
do you not think photographers which would just benefit a models portfolio are worth paying for??

Mar 01 11 08:06 am Link

Photographer

alteredstate

MONKTON, Maryland, US

Why is a model's time worth more than a photographer's? If the trade is in both parties interest, it's a wash. If the model is receiving x number of images, that's her pay for the shoot.
I know many models won't do nudes TF, and I have a little more sympathy with that line of reasoning.

Mar 01 11 08:09 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

I think this thread would have been a lot more entertaining if it was made in the photography forum.

Mar 01 11 08:14 am Link

Photographer

OpenMinds

Paradise Valley, Arizona, US

Rick Fink wrote:

OK, you are obviously into this strictly as a hobby, because you completely skip the fact that many photographers have expenses themselves, or need to make a living at this.  The reason many photographers exist is to make a living.  Sure, some want to create "art" and whatnot, and thats all fine and dandy, and they can pay all the models they want.  Others of us don't pick up a camera unless someone is paying is to do so.  Does that mean we've lost the passion for our craft?  Of course not.  It simply means that shooting pictures of pretty girls isn't a novelty to us, and we want to be paid for our skills and experience.
How about you go post a thread telling models to pay their photographers for making them look so great!

Mar 01 11 08:14 am Link

Photographer

BT Imagery

Christiansted, Saint Croix, Virgin Islands of the United States

Rick Fink wrote:

I really think that models should generally pay photographers for shoots!

Mar 01 11 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

"Different Strokes for Different Folks"

"MYOB"

"If It Works, It Works"

"Don't Fix It If It Ain't Broke"

And other such quotations apply.  While I don't doubt your good intentions, there is nothing that makes models universally eligible for cash payment.  Moreover, some TF* arrangements represent a higher net pay than the model might otherwise receive in cash.  Then, too, there is the beginning model for whom the experience and pictures gained are worth more than she might receive in cash, if, indeed, anyone would hire her at all on the basis of a few cell phone pictures.  And how about the hobbyist models who would rather be able to call the shots rather than be bound by a code of ethics for professional models.

Or to put it another way, "There's More Than One Way To Skin A Cat!"

All IMHO, as always.

Mar 01 11 08:16 am Link

Photographer

PashaPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

Rick Fink wrote:

reality smile

https://www.thefinancialhelpcenter.com/Galveston-Economy-Pics/Sign-RealityCheck.jpg

Mar 01 11 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Shirley Zhong

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

I think photographers need money to survive too.

Mar 01 11 08:20 am Link

Model

cameryn coxxx

Delray Beach, Florida, US

Rick Fink wrote:

If you need a PRO you should pay. If you want to 'play' at it, well, wtvr. this applies to models AND photographers.

Just my opinion.

When I have a SPECIFIC NEED like I want something special for MY use, for a membership site etc, I hire and PAY for the photographer. if a photographer wants something special for THEIR use, they should pay for it.

Of course, most pro photographers and models are hired by CLIENTS and not each other as much.

Mar 01 11 08:21 am Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

If both parties benefit from a trade shoot, then everyone is winning and being "paid" with something useful for their portfolio.

If one person is going to benefit more than the other, than the person that benefits most should pay.

You're entitled to your opinions, but the laws of supply and demand will dictate what happens in the real world.

Mar 01 11 08:22 am Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

So you are saying photos from excellent photographers has no value?  He/she should pay to have the honor of improving the model's port?

Would love to see someone like Star or Kesler chime in with their thoughts.

Or Johnny Crosslin
http://www.johnnycrosslin.com/rates.htm

http://www.johnnycrosslin.com/models/themodelpages.htm

Mar 01 11 08:29 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

both sides have their expenses, even on a trade shoot. to me trade is about people investing in the shoots to help each other get better. i think of it like research and development. i can experiment in ways i can't on a paying customer shoot. maybe at some point i'll feel like i don't have anything left to learn (doubtful with photography) and will want models to pay me.

i have paid models before and i have one coming on friday for a groupshoot where she will get paid all the money from the photographer signups. but mostly i'm doing trade these days.

if i were wealthy and shooting nudes for fun then i could see paying all the models. alas, i'm not wealthy.

Mar 01 11 08:36 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

What this really boils down to is just a 'white knight' post. I vote that this should be locked as soon as possible to avoid the trainwreck.

Mar 01 11 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Heels and Hemlines

Southern Pines, North Carolina, US

SouthFLpix wrote:
I think this thread would have been a lot more entertaining if it was made in the photography forum.

Don't worry, I'm sure the photographers who "don't pay models" will have no trouble finding it.

Mar 01 11 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Rick Fink

Austin, Texas, US

My feeling is that since one person gets ownership of the images the other should get paid!

Photogs- imagine a super talented model asked you for a trade shoot but then stipulated that she would own the images!

Mar 01 11 08:39 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

as i understand it (not being a lawyer), while i have copyright i don't have control over commercial use of their likeness without them signing something giving me that control (and this varies by country and even i think a bit by state). so your idea of paying $25 for a release (assuming it's a full one) does have some merit.

Rick Fink wrote:
My feeling is that since one person gets ownership of the images the other should get paid!

Mar 01 11 08:43 am Link

Photographer

MisterC

Portland, Oregon, US

Rick Fink wrote:

I think you should definitely keep paying every model.

But I also think you should not define how others work.

Mar 01 11 08:46 am Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

MisterC wrote:
I think you should definitely keep paying every model.

But I also think you should not define how others work.

This !!!!!!

Mar 01 11 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Implications Photo

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Not against barter. That is how is used to be done all the time. You shot some stuff for her and she modeled some stuff for you. You then went your separate ways using what you got to promote yourself for paying clients.

However, I prefer to hire models to do the modeling I want and get a release. I get better work from the model and the is no misunderstanding about what is going on. Most of the models on MM are doing it for the money since there is so little actual modeling work out there compared to the number of models seeking work. So, lets give them some work. If we shoot some stuff that they particularly want then the photographers fee can offset the modeling fee.

Mar 01 11 08:49 am Link

Model

_AmberRose_

New York, New York, US

Rick Fink wrote:

Photogs- imagine a super talented model asked you for a trade shoot but then stipulated that she would own the images!

I agree with this, for the most part. It would certainly benefit me greatly, thats for sure! But unfortunately that is not the case with most people and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Photographers and models both must make a living. Both models and photographers enjoy shooting TF. Sometimes the model pays the photographer, sometimes the photographer pays the model. Everyone has their own preferences and beliefs, and its difficult to find someone who completely agrees with your logic about why who should get paid. More often than not, a topic such as this will generate more people who disagree with you than those that agree.

Mar 01 11 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

no.

Mar 01 11 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Pearcy Photography

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I don't expect a model to pay me for her portfolio work.  I do not generally pay models for my portfolio work that is the funciton of TF shoots.  I don't pay models, my client pays for the work and, in effect, the client pays the models by paying me.  It all has to do with where the money is coming from. 

I saw an interesting segment on Sunday Morning this weekend.  It was a retrospective on Herb Ritts.  In it, Cindy Crawford was reminicing on a time when Ritts called her and asked her "What are  you doing tomorrow morning, I need you to be a prop in a shoot for a musician"  She accepted immediately because it was Ritts calling.  Everyone does TFP if it benefits them.

Mar 01 11 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

SouthFLpix wrote:

Or the critique forum.

Mar 01 11 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Gonzales Pictures

Amarillo, Texas, US

I can only speak from personal firsthand experience, but I am wary of paying models for TF* gigs.  Mostly it's from the lack of preparation done on the model's part.  Several individuals I have encountered simply want me to furnish everything and then want compensation on top of that.  Even those who contact me first.  Odds are that I'll be spending more time and money on the shoot than she will.

This is a bit of an off topic suggestion, but to the models I say spend some time networking in your area.  Find good MUAs and hairstylist, and talk to various venues about being a shooting location.  Having these in your back pocket will help make TF* gigs a team effort.  I treat this as a business, and I spend time networking and getting venues and crew in my back pocket, why wouldn't a model who wants to be in the business of modeling?

Again, this is just from my firsthand experience so I may be jaded in my views.

Mar 01 11 08:56 am Link

Photographer

David Stith

Lexington, Kentucky, US

I must say after working with over 500 models.. it all depends on what the purpose of the shoot is.. If it's simply to help your portfolio and theirs then trade if you can.

If the model or photog is getting paid, then the person being paid should pay something to the other party, model or photog.

If it's a shoot on speculation, then whoever can sell the pics should offer something to the other party.

Currently, I have a casting call posted.. I have had a few models think that I should pay them to help improve their portfolio.. I think not.

David

Mar 01 11 08:58 am Link

Model

Ashley Franci

The Colony, Texas, US

Photographer

ForeverFotos

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Rick Fink wrote:

I'm just guessing, but have you set yourself up as a model manager? In that case, you're just looking for a little percentage, am I right? Please tell me I'm wrong, that would make me feel much better.

I really think you should be aware of the fact that "model managers" are not allowed to operate on this site.

Photographer

DeFraince J

Fremont, California, US

Biggs Photography wrote:

I really think that models should generally pay photographers for shoots!

+1

Mar 01 11 09:02 am Link

Photographer

K I S S

Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom

whats weird is that even though the OP comment seems "white knighty"
what makes it more obvious is that this post is in the MODEL forum
not the PHOTOGRAPHY where his comment should be aimed if he is going to aim it somewhere.
Its almost as if the op comment is looking for model "white knight, your amazing" replies.

Mar 01 11 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Dan Hudson

Binghamton, New York, US

If I make money=the model makes money!!!

Everything else is TF*

We all get paid somehow!!

Just my 2 cents!!!

Mar 01 11 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Paul Bryson Photography

Hollywood, Florida, US

Rick Fink wrote:

ForeverFotos wrote:
I'm just guessing, but have you set yourself up as a model manager?

I was beginning to think I'm the only one who noticed this part. wink

Mar 01 11 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

DG Photography Services wrote:
I can only speak from personal firsthand experience, but I am wary of paying models for TF* gigs.

You do realize that's a complete contradiction, don't you?

Mar 01 11 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Heather Honey wrote:
Of course, most pro photographers and models are hired by CLIENTS and not each other as much.

Exactly.

Mar 01 11 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Rick Fink wrote:

Out of the kindness of your heart? Isn't that wonderful of you! Not like you're a model manager or anything, yes?

Mar 01 11 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Rick Fink

Austin, Texas, US

I am absolutely not a manager for anyone!

The thread came up because a talented model I have worked with and paid each time was having trouble getting paid for a nude shoot!

Most photogs tell the models that they need to beef up their portfolios before they find paying work and then the paying work is not there!

If I contact a model and ask her to work with me I pay her.

Mar 01 11 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Duncan Hall

San Francisco, California, US

Rick Fink wrote:

That's not an implication, that's fact. They can pay me if they want. wink

Mar 01 11 09:22 am Link