Forums > General Industry > Touch me not Models

Photographer

Shiva Photo

East Hills, New York, US

" I will not tolerate HANDS ON PHOTOGRAPHERS " This appears in a recent model portfolio

Reluctance of a model to be touched by the photographer even for adjustment of a pose for best angle or lighting is counter productive to getting the best shots. Review of You tube videos and DVDS show that the best photographers in the field adjust the models face and body. It appears to be an accepted practice.

Models who are absolutely " touch me not"  must think twice about a serious career in modeling.

Photographers and Models opinions are welcome. A touchy subject no doubt.

Sep 27 11 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp- Homme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

I generally agree.

Sep 27 11 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i'm guessing some of these models are getting touched for more than just adjustments. probably a case of a few horndogs making a mess for everyone else.

i let the wife do most of the touching (to the extent it's necessary which sometimes it is). and if the customer/model husband is on set he's allowed to touch.

Sep 27 11 06:08 pm Link

Model

Miss AY

Bulqizë, Bulqizë, Albania

I can't recall a single time in modeling where someone had to put a hand on me to show me how to pose or to adjust a piece of clothing for me. Usually a quick "move your bra strap" or "to the left" or "look up" does the trick.

If a model is so inept at following direction, or a photographer is so inept at giving it, that the photographer needs to be physically touching the model to get her to move the way he wants her to... then someone is doing something wrong.

And yes, I know there are some exceptions where someone is in such a complicated pose they can't even reach their own panties to adjust them, but seriously, how often do those scenarios happen?

Sep 27 11 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

Shon D.- Homme wrote:

I'll get the popcorn ....ready

Sep 27 11 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

sometimes the model/customer just doesn't understand the request or manages to wreck the pose while brushing their hair out of their eyes. i always ask first but i request to touch when i feel the situation warrants that. although the less they are wearing the more likely i am to avoid touching (which i guess is opposite of some guys. lol)

Augustine York wrote:
I can't recall a single time in modeling where someone had to put a hand on me to show me how to pose or to adjust a piece of clothing for me. Usually a quick "move your bra strap" or "to the left" or "look up" does the trick.

Sep 27 11 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

Photographers shouldn't be randomly touching models-- unless they ask first. How hard is it to ask a model "would you mind if i adjusted...?" or "could you please adjust blahblabhblah?" havent' run into a problem yet.

The only time i don't want the model to move, is when i like the rest of her pose/expression and i dont' want her to move

Model

Artemis Bare

San Diego, California, US

Don't touch me!!!

You don't know where I've been....

Photographer

Caught My Eye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Augustine York wrote:
And yes, I know there are some exceptions where someone is in such a complicated pose they can't even reach their own panties to adjust them, but seriously, how often do those scenarios happen?

*gives Mrs a knowing smile* tongue

Sep 27 11 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

PashaPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

i know the op, and i've seen him shoot... and when he says that he needs to adjust a model it's not some kind of code for "i need to get a cheap feel" - he really does need to adjust the model...

the op comes from an engineering background, and is very meticulous about the way he sets up... his approach is methodic and everything is very mathematical, and has to be in the right place before the shot is taken...

speaking from my own experience, sometimes it's easier to just come up and move a model's head into the position you want, instead of wasting time going "no, a little to the left... not the right... now down... no too much" etc... that gets very frustrating quick, and this is what op's topic is about... it's about adjusting hair, angles of the face etc, and not about adjusting any "sensitive" body parts...

sadly, this being mm, he will probably get bashed as pervert looking to cop a cheap feel...

Shiva, i feel for you... this will not end well...

Sep 27 11 06:19 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

PashaPhoto wrote:
i know the op, and i've seen him shoot... and when he says that he needs to adjust a model it's not some kind of code for "i need to get a cheap feel" - he really does need to adjust the model...

the op comes from an engineering background, and is very meticulous about the way he sets up... his approach is methodic and everything is very mathematical, and has to be in the right place before the shot is taken...

speaking from my own experience, sometimes it's easier to just come up and move a model's head into the position you want, instead of wasting time going "no, a little to the left... not the right... now down... no too much" etc... that gets very frustrating quick, and this is what op's topic is about... it's about adjusting hair, angles of the face etc, and not about adjusting any "sensitive" body parts...

sadly, this being mm, he will probably get bashed as pervert looking to cop a cheap feel...

Which is understandable. But it's also understandable that regardless of gender, some people are not okay with being touched, period, and especially if you don't ask first, or are not polite about it. Not saying the OP doesn't ask or isn't polite about it.

I generally don't mind being "moved" but I also make that judgment based on how the shoot itself is going. There are other people who aren't as comfortable with other people touching them as I am, and it may or may not have anything to do with the photographer at all.

The statement in the OP, "I will not tolerate HANDS ON PHOTOGRAPHERS" sounds more to me like someone who has worked with a few too many GWCs who like to get grabby, not someone who is simply moving you or a hair or a piece of clothing or wardrobe.

Sep 27 11 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

I don't see any problem with this issue. I simply move on to another model as I do with models who have other issues that show signs of a drama queen.

Gabby

Sep 27 11 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Shiva Photo

East Hills, New York, US

PashaPhoto wrote:

The last model who who had some reservations on this issue was the happiest when  She  saw the final pictures. Thanks for the observations.

Sep 27 11 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

PashaPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

Shiva Photo wrote:

The last model who who had some reservations was the happiest when  She  saw the pictures. Thanks for the observations.

yep... she was smile

Sep 27 11 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well its one thing for a Internet model to say that, but in truth that really doesn't work in a lot of areas of professional modeling like runway.  Its not being touched its more like being manhandled - granted none of this is from photographers but dang they put up with a lot.

I am sure the models that post it here have had bad experiences with hobby shooters or even out right GWCs.

Sep 27 11 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

bmiSTUDIO

Morristown, Vermont, US

Augustine York wrote:

If a model is so inept at following direction, or a photographer is so inept at giving it, that the photographer needs to be physically touching the model to get her to move the way he wants her to... then someone is doing something wrong.

Even experienced professional models need to hold a pose while a stray strand of hair is moved or a piece of wardrobe adjusted. If the model has the pose nailed, I don't want him/her to drop the pose and try to fix the problem themselves. Also they can't see the problem from the camera's perspective. I'm very detail oriented and look carefully at details before I press the shutter. If something needs adjustment and I'm the only other person in the studio, I will fix it unless I think the model can do it without disrupting the present pose. I establish this at the beginning of the shoot so the model knows my reasoning. Heck, I've seen male wardrobe stylists adjust clothing, lingerie and even breasts during high quality magazine shoots. It often takes a perspective other than that of the model, so I say with confidence, that the scenario does happen quite often.

Sep 27 11 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Cosplay Creatives

Syowa - permanent station of Japan, Sector claimed by Norway, Antarctica

What, you don't know where my hands have been? yikes

Sep 27 11 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Shadows

Miami, Florida, US

There are actually a surprisingly large number of people that hate being touched and this is not limited to models.

It's probably best that you make an effort to find people that are more compatible with your photography style. You are not going to change any hearts and minds. The people that hate being touched are always going to hate it, even if they tolerate it under some circumstances.

Sep 27 11 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

descending chain

San Diego, California, US

Seno Akta Gamat!

Sep 27 11 06:42 pm Link

Model

JANEDOE11

Taro Island, Choiseul, Solomon Islands

I don't mind being touched, but if I can move the clothing/hair/whatever myself I'd prefer to do that. However, if I can't, and a photographer or someone else on set touches me, I don't mind.

Sep 27 11 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Artemis Bare wrote:
Don't touch me!!!

You don't know where I've been....

lol

Sep 27 11 06:50 pm Link

Model

Bella la Bell

Kansas City, Missouri, US

hartcons wrote:
i'm guessing some of these models are getting touched for more than just adjustments. probably a case of a few horndogs making a mess for everyone else.

i let the wife do most of the touching (to the extent it's necessary which sometimes it is). and if the customer/model husband is on set he's allowed to touch.

This is why I enjoy working with hubby/wifey photographers. smile
Also that said I do let true photographers I worked with in the past zip me up in a dress if needs be! So as long as it is for proper things, I am fine with them moving a hair out of my face... as long as they ask before hand, I'm cool. smile

Sep 27 11 06:51 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

I generally operate on the no-no squares philosophy.

I don't mind a photographer touching me if they need to move a hair or something, but part of why I'm a good model is I can balance myself to move something myself, and I know what my last pose was and can recreate it, so there's no PRESSING NEED to touch me in most cases.

There are some photographers I will not allow to touch me at all, and some I don't mind in the slightest.

It's all about attitude. Some people are creeps and some people know how to respect obvious limits.

Sep 27 11 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Gerhart

San Antonio, Texas, US

Shiva Photo wrote:
" I will not tolerate HANDS ON PHOTOGRAPHERS " This appears in a recent model portfolio

Reluctance of a model to be touched by the photographer even for adjustment of a pose for best angle or lighting is counter productive to getting the best shots. Review of You tube videos and DVDS show that the best photographers in the field adjust the models face and body. It appears to be an accepted practice.

Models who are absolutely " touch me not"  must think twice about a serious career in modeling.

Wrong on so many levels... Photographers should never touch a model without first asking and they should be very specific about what the adjust is. When a photographer invades a models space the shoot can go from great to flat faster than warp 9.

Sep 27 11 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

RP Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

The Don Mon wrote:

I'll get the popcorn ....ready

It's a good thing no one takes the bleachers down between these threads. That keg over there is still half full. Can somebody run get cups? The big ones...

Sep 27 11 06:58 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Damianne wrote:
I generally operate on the no-no squares philosophy.

I don't mind a photographer touching me if they need to move a hair or something, but part of why I'm a good model is I can balance myself to move something myself, and I know what my last pose was and can recreate it, so there's no PRESSING NEED to touch me in most cases.

There are some photographers I will not allow to touch me at all, and some I don't mind in the slightest.

It's all about attitude. Some people are creeps and some people know how to respect obvious limits.

+1

Sep 27 11 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Shrug.

Just had a nude model here for a session. One look, she was sitting on the fireplace mantle. Rather than watch her faceplant when she got down, I helped her...hands under her arms, her hands on my shoulders. No problem, she jumped off and landed on her feet. Easy.

We did the rest of the shoot, when her husband came to pick her up I asked him in to witness the release. I shook his hand, she gave me a big hug and asked when I wanted to shoot again. Apparently she wasn't bothered by being touched.

As long as it's a professional shoot, nobody should have a problem. If I need to touch someone I do, if not I don't. Why is this such a difficult thing?

Sep 27 11 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Good models know how to pose and adjust themselves with good verbal direction, many times because of lighting angles, a slight gentle physical (touch) adjustment may be "needed" because the model doesn't see what the photographer sees in a composition.

I hardly ever touch but have.
As long as it is within the boundaries of the shoot and absolutely necessary, respectfully ask first only if the model is not quite hitting the mark.

A few bad apples have really blown it for the rest of us but yes, set limits and respect them but leave wiggling room if at all possible, nothing worse than a photoshoot full of tension and fear.

Sep 27 11 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Lumigraphics wrote:
As long as it's a professional shoot, nobody should have a problem. If I need to touch someone I do, if not I don't. Why is this such a difficult thing?

Because society is being programmed to think that all touch is bad.  *sigh*  Think about it.  Hell, kids aren't even allowed to hug each other in school anymore.

I don't see how we're the better for it.

Sep 27 11 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Charles Gast

Mason, Ohio, US

I don't need to touch them to get a pose.  I ask them to move a hand or something if need be. If I were to try to position them like a mannequin they would likely end up looking more awkward than anything.
I must say though that if they make a big deal in their profile about DO NOT TOUCH ME EVER!!!  I would likely avoid them since I feel pre-judged as soon as I see that.

Sep 27 11 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Charles Gast

Mason, Ohio, US

Hey this reminds me ~lets light a fire under this thread~  I remember a model complaining about a photog who "touched himself" during a shoot o.O   That certainly makes moving the models arm seem less a problem then doesn't it >=  )

Sep 27 11 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

punkuate

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Was she a nude model? I've accidentally touched models boobs/bums before without even meaning to, so I can see why there could be a different level of personal space in that situation.

I don't really have to touch models, good ones know what they're doing, and the stray hair argument is all well and good but I'd just get the hair stylist to fix it.

Sep 27 11 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Shiva Photo wrote:

On occasion I have needed to touch a model to adjust something - I always ask and have never had any response but a relaxed and positive one.

here is the real issue:

I simply pass by ANY model who has any thing in her profile that suggests a negative attitude toward photographers.  Or anything haughty, self centered, or otherwise suggestive of drama.

So I don't see the need for a post about model choices or behavior -  make a sound analysis based on the information available to you when you make your choices. 

And be grateful for those models who let you know in advance that you are not going to be compatible working with them.  Problem avoided.

Sep 27 11 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

I've yet to see or hear of a photographer making a boob ajustment on an agency model. 

I have seen and heard many photographers at workshops, who don't know how to instruct the models into the proper pose, only because they lack communication skills.  Telling a model, "Pretend you're on a beach, and you're walking towards me, as if I was your boyfriend.  That's the look I want", is not going to work.    I actually heard a photographer saying that to a professional model, and she's going, "WHAT?"

Touching the models at workshops is never allowed, as it's a good way to get kicked out, by ruining the model's mood and posing for the other photographers.  Not only that, but the models do talk to each other, and when they run into a toucher, they tell the other models and photographers.  It's a good way to ruin your reputation.

Sep 27 11 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I am not one to touch a model often but sometimes it is necessary and if I saw that in a profile it would be a red flag that she has baggage I do not want to deal with.

Sep 27 11 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I am not one to touch a model often but sometimes it is necessary and if I saw that in a profile it would be a red flag that she has baggage I do not want to deal with.

Sep 27 11 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

bmiSTUDIO

Morristown, Vermont, US

I've had my share of nude models rub up against me while looking at pics on the camera's LCD screen. They don't seem to have an aversion to being touched. Many nude models give naked hugs during shoots when they see some particularly great shots. I'm thinking models that get uptight about a photographer touching hair or an arm are really reading a lot into a photographer's intentions. If you have done due diligence as to references and all, then constructive touches during a truly professional shoot should not be a concern.

Sep 27 11 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

isnt it really all pretty much a matter of "context" or how the "touching" is done?

I very, very, very rarely find it necessary to touch, but if I do, I simply ask first, explain what I need to do, and wait for permission. Seems pretty simple.

I much prefer my "touching" to be a nice friendly hug as we are saying good-bye at the door.

Sep 27 11 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

There's a difference between a grope & an adjustment. There's also big difference between the expectations of net model & those that work with brick & mortar establishments (usually though not always agencies). Operate accordingly.

When this topic is brought up w/ the model whom I've worked w/, it usually has something to do w/ permission, so they're simply not blind-sided by the action.

Sep 27 11 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Boantoune Dicquewolffe

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Quite often I do makeup, hair, design the wardrobe, and any special FX make up for my shoots, so there's a good chance I'm going to end up touching the model. It's never been an issue for me.

Sep 27 11 08:00 pm Link