Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Stan Freedman Photo wrote:
I have 3 rules when shooting.

1.  Do not touch the models.
2.  Do not touch the models.
3.  Do not touch the models.

I agree that there my be times when it is necessary, like getting up from an awkward pose, but always ask first before you offer assistance.

Case closed.

So, you have a simple and logical exception that nullifies the only rule you have?
My rules along that line are

communicate
treat the model with respect
Given those, do what helps get the best results

Sep 28 11 02:57 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Tansy Blue wrote:
I would react very badly to a photographer coming up and adjusting my hair or clothing without asking first. I react very badly if my MUM adjusts my clothing without giving me any warning whatsoever. Just taking 2 seconds to ask is courteous IMO, and is part of treating a model like a person rather than a walking clotheshorse.

I think you've nailed part of the conflict.  While there are certainly "pervs" and just plain rude people, in the course of a shoot, some photographers aren't thinking of the model as a person, but as a prop, and one adjusts props to get the necessary result.  From what I've seen, that is common in a fashion context.

My mentality is some mix of art and portrait, so the model as a person with thoughts and ideas is important to what I'm doing, independent of their level of knowledge / skill at posing.  Best I can tell, when I find touching necessary, the models understand and agree.

On another note; I've adjusted dozens of models by moving feet or shoulders or, of course, hair.  I'm not sure I've ever touched a bra or panties while the model was wearing them.  Of course, they usually aren't . . . .

Sep 28 11 03:06 am Link

Photographer

T-Dog Studio

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Most models that I have worked with can pose and move with just a little direction.  Occasionally there is reason to ask them to allow me to move their hair but that is as far as I go.  Simple hand gestures will get you the shot that you are looking for.

Sep 28 11 03:20 am Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I don't work with models like that knowingly. I always ask permission and only touch in non-sexual areas but I'm not going to waste my time with someone that's difficult period. Generally it's hair which a quick adjustment saves me 30+ minutes of retouching.

I couple of times I have had to adjust arms or move a leg. I work with a lot of newer models so they aren't always the most experienced at taking direction.

I'm pretty angle so often I'll just get into the pose myself and show them, which saves time at the beginning of a pose.

Sometimes it's necessary and sometimes it's not I do it when it's necessary.

Oh and BTW I have never had one say no to it. The most touching I have ever done was when a model was oiling up and she was covered everywhere but her mid and upper back. I asked if she wanted my help but that I know some models are weird about that.

She said sure and that she's only weird when the photographer gets weird about it.  So what that means is that of the photographer is projecting neediness, fear of asking or looks like a salivating mountain lion wanting to pounce on her the reaction is going to be NO!

Honestly I'd prefer not to touch an oily model as I have to watch my hands again before I'd touch my camera... Which slows things down. But it was just me and her and no MUA that day as it was a test shoot and I don't bring in a MUA until after a test shoot to make sure the model is reliable and shows up as I have respect for my MUA's and don't want to waste there time.

Sep 28 11 03:29 am Link

Model

Tansy Blue

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Art of the nude wrote:
I think you've nailed part of the conflict.  While there are certainly "pervs" and just plain rude people, in the course of a shoot, some photographers aren't thinking of the model as a person, but as a prop, and one adjusts props to get the necessary result.  From what I've seen, that is common in a fashion context.

This attitude upsets me. (It's not uncommon in life modelling circles as well.) I want people to be AWARE that I'm a person and need to be treated like a living thing rather than an inanimate object. I don't want people to worry about me unnecessarily or go out of their way to please me; just treating me with the same respect and courtesy you'd give any other colleague is fine.

On a side note, I love photographers who demonstrate poses. It's hilarious, particularly on some of the less in-shape ones. big_smile

Sep 28 11 03:39 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

If you can avoid not touching he model, then don't touch the model.  Touching the model isn't a good thing.  If adjustment are needed, get a MUA/hair stylist or someone else that the model feel comfortable with.

I am not sure why some of you feel the need to touch the model. smile

Sep 28 11 03:39 am Link

Photographer

Picture This 808

Aiea, Hawaii, US

Augustine York wrote:
I can't recall a single time in modeling where someone had to put a hand on me to show me how to pose or to adjust a piece of clothing for me...

If a model is so inept at following direction, or a photographer is so inept at giving it, that the photographer needs to be physically touching the model to get her to move the way he wants her to... then someone is doing something wrong....

There have been many times when it was easier to just make the adjustment than to repeatedly say, "Move this or that." One two second placement and on with the shoot.

Vince PTP 808

Sep 28 11 03:41 am Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ChanStudio - OtherSide wrote:
Touching the model isn't a good thing.

"Nothing is good or bad only thinking makes it so." - William Shakespeare

We live in such a closed down society that thinks every touch has some sexual intent behind it. It's so pathetic. I got broken of this when I went to massage school many years ago and had to both massage and be massaged my men and women of all shapes and sizes, colors and creeds.

I used to do full body massages on very attractive women and it was non-sexual my focus was on feeling the muscle not sex. I don't know what they were thinking but I know what I was thinking and I Kept everything professional. And on men it was the same but a much harder job because they have thicker muscles.

The point is non-sexual touch it fairly standard and should not be a big issue or labeled bad when it's necessary.

Now Feeding The Models is totally a no, no once you do that you can't rid of them and you have fat models! ;o)

Sep 28 11 04:06 am Link

Model

Lin Mei

San Francisco, California, US

It really is context. When I'm modeling in foreign country I actually prefer it. I don't speak the language and sometimes the photographers don't speak English. I don't know what direction they want me to turn to so instead of playing charades I just prefer it when they move me or the product where they need it. It saves a lot of time and awkward gesticulation.

Sep 28 11 04:18 am Link

Photographer

Black Sunshine

Austin, Texas, US

Usually the best poses are the ones they make in between poses for half a second, and when you tell them what to do, they don't know what you mean.

Sep 28 11 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Shiva Photo wrote:
" I will not tolerate HANDS ON PHOTOGRAPHERS " This appears in a recent model portfolio

Reluctance of a model to be touched by the photographer even for adjustment of a pose for best angle or lighting is counter productive to getting the best shots. Review of You tube videos and DVDS show that the best photographers in the field adjust the models face and body. It appears to be an accepted practice.

Models who are absolutely " touch me not"  must think twice about a serious career in modeling.

Photographers and Models opinions are welcome. A touchy subject no doubt.

Over 50 years of photographery  I "Do Not Touch Models"  No need to!!  Do you touch the waitress a McDonalds..  Do you touch the cashier???

Sep 28 11 04:33 am Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Black Sunshine wrote:
Usually the best poses are the ones they make in between poses for half a second, and when you tell them what to do, they don't know what you mean.

A good professional photographer can communicate.  If you can not communicatre,  you have lots to learn..  It is easy..    Talk to you subject Don"t  feel them up.  learn how to direct a pose..

Sep 28 11 04:35 am Link

Photographer

Nyctiphaes

Athens, Attikí, Greece

Maybe that applies to internet models, who are not aware of how the industry works, although I ve had no problem with any I ve shot.

Most of my portfolio consists of agency fashion models, I touch them a lot when shooting and no problems at all. However it must be done in a professional fast and NOT a creepy way. You just move them or pose them, you dont like caress them or feel them, that is weird.... (although as in any industry, the very well established photographers as artists are allowed certain peculiarities in behaviour)

Any case when you re shooting fast for whatever reason, its more efficient to pose them than explaining the pose, many time intown (international models who visit a city for a brief time signed with a fashion agency) models do not speak adequate english, well you touch them and you pose them.
Wait till you see what happens in a fashion show's backstage.......they are like dolls passed around for makeup, hair, styling etc.

It s not as glamorous job as people think it is

Sep 28 11 04:39 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Stan Freedman Photo wrote:
I have 3 rules when shooting.

1.  Do not touch the models.
2.  Do not touch the models.
3.  Do not touch the models.

I agree that there my be times when it is necessary, like getting up from an awkward pose, but always ask first before you offer assistance.

Case closed.

Those are three silly ass rules. I'm here to take the best pictures I can, not worry about stupid rules.

Sep 28 11 05:05 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Harold Rose wrote:
Over 50 years of photographery  I "Do Not Touch Models"  No need to!!  Do you touch the waitress a McDonalds..  Do you touch the cashier???

I'm not paying a waitress or cashier to model for me. Totally useless comparison...

Sep 28 11 05:21 am Link

Photographer

Fernon II

Annapolis, Maryland, US

touch this!

Sep 28 11 05:24 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Maybe some of these 'Touch me not Models' have a medical condition this being OCD.

Sep 28 11 05:33 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

I think should be fine until is used some common sense, sometimes is necessary, sometimes is only a more fast way to make the necessary adjustments.

Sep 28 11 05:50 am Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Neil Snape wrote:

It is not like someone is going to walk right up and bend you into shape. When working on a shot there is dialogue, everyone is trying to get somewhere, and there is always direction given before ever touching a model.

The difference between professional models is the ones who are really working in real agencies would never have a problem with this, yet professional because some GWCs pay internet models is another type of professional, that this old guy has a hard time getting used to.

A lot of people have a hard time recognizing that there are fantastic, successful professional models that never have and never will be agency represented.

Sep 28 11 05:50 am Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:
Maybe some of these 'Touch me not Models' have a medical condition this being OCD.

Can open, worms everywhere.

Sep 28 11 05:54 am Link

Model

3-Dimensional

Atlanta, Georgia, US

as a model, I do not expect to be touched, unless I am physically bound and unable to adjust wardrobe, in which case my permission is necessary.

as a photographer, I only touch a model when he/she is physically bound, or otherwise unable to adjust wardrobe, in which case its with permission, and excruciatingly minimal.
- I go out of the way to make sure its obvious to everyone on set where my head is at, I might not be the best photographer/model... but I've got a killer Rep for being honest/respectful/courteous. - my wife is a model/photographer here, as well as the majority of everyone in our social circle... needless to say, my Rep = my livelihood.

Sep 28 11 05:56 am Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

Touch a model. Are you crazy, models have "COOTIES"!

Sep 28 11 05:57 am Link

Photographer

Matt Schmidt Photo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I use common sense . . .

I've touched everyone I've ever worked with from baby's to old men to nudes.

Not everyone knows how to model . . . and polite gesturing may not always cure a slumping model producing belly roll, as opposed to here "Shoulders back like this . . ."

I've even gone to my co-workers and exclaimed, "Hey Hank, what's on the screen today."  hand on the shoulder or a nudge in the arm.

BFD

Sep 28 11 05:58 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Photos by Jeff B  wrote:
I seldom touch the models during a shoot, but when I need to I always ask them 1st, and every time, before I touch them... even if they have given me permission to do so just a minute or two before.

I don't see a problem with touching them if needs be, for the shoot, but if the model has had a bad experience in the past then I say respect her wishes.. or shoot with a different model and skip her.

Honestly, some of the comments in this thread are a hoot! Models aren't animals, yet some of the posters here are referring to them as such. Just ask your model politely if you can help with any adjustments, what's the big deal?

Sep 28 11 06:32 am Link

Photographer

E P O N A

Copiague, New York, US

There is a difference between "adjustment touching" and "inappropriate touching". Although...that, just like anything else, can be subjective depending on who you're dealing with.

When I was modeling I was touched once inappropriately. But also, many times I was touched to be adjusted for lighting, clothing, a hair out of place...whatever....but was ASKED first.

I always ask my models before I go over to them to adjust anything.

Sep 28 11 06:37 am Link

Model

Tansy Blue

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

OCD doesn't automatically mean an aversion to touch...an aversion to touch doesn't mean OCD...

Sep 28 11 06:41 am Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Fernon II wrote:
touch this!

I... I can't!

*shakes head*
You're in hammertime right now, aren't you?

Sep 28 11 06:41 am Link

Model

Tansy Blue

Nyctiphaes wrote:
[snipsnipsnip]

Wait till you see what happens in a fashion show's backstage.......they are like dolls passed around for makeup, hair, styling etc.

Which is the one reasons that I don't really care about my wrongness for fashion. smile

I query your assertion that internet models don't know how "the industry" works. Internet models know how THEIR industry - the internet modelling industry - works. Maybe not how agency modelling works. They're different things with different standards of behaviour, just like life modelling is.

I'm also kind of freaked out by the statement that well established photographers are allowed perculiarities; the context implies that if enough people like your photographs, then you CAN caress a model while adjusting her pose.

Sep 28 11 06:48 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Tansy Blue wrote:

OCD doesn't automatically mean an aversion to touch...an aversion to touch doesn't mean OCD...

Agreed but it can be one of the elements of no touch.

Sep 28 11 06:53 am Link

Model

3-Dimensional

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Tansy Blue wrote:
I'm also kind of freaked out by the statement that well established photographers are allowed peculiarities; the context implies that if enough people like your photographs, then you CAN caress a model while adjusting her pose.

yeah, I don't care for the school of thought that anyone should be allowed special behavior because they are in a place of power. - be that a wealthy businessperson, a famous athlete, or skilled photographer.

yes I KNOW that's the reality in some cases... but only because society ACCEPTS it.

Sep 28 11 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Joseph William

Chicago, Illinois, US

I read the title as "touch me, not models" was looking forward to a whole different thread.

Sep 28 11 07:07 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

It's the model's body. It's entirely her decision who does what to it, when, where, why and how.

I've shot with "touch-me-not" models.  I find that the best way to work with them is to not touch them--works like a charm.

I've worked with "ask-me-first-and-I'll-decide" models.  I find that the best way to work with them is to ask them first--works like a charm.

I've worked with "do-what-you-need-to-to-get-the-picture" models and "I-need-a-hug" models.  I find that the best way to work with them is to find out what their boundaries are and to work within them.  In fact, I find that that policy works best with just about everybody whether they are models, coworkers, friends or just people on a crowded subway.

And "touch-me-not" is always the best place to start, from every perspective.

All IMHO, as always.

Sep 28 11 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Sometimes you have to cup a breast to make sure it's in the right spot.

Sep 28 11 07:10 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

It's not often I need to touch models, but when there's an adjustment the model can't easily make, I just ask and have never had a model who had a problem with me making the necessary adjustment.

Some things in life are just easier with some contact.  I really don't get the phobia against touch.  It seems more people are sensitive about being touched now than a couple decades ago.

Sep 28 11 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

ChanStudio - OtherSide wrote:
. . . .
Now Feeding The Models is totally a no, no once you do that you can't rid of them and you have fat models! ;o)

Ah, but when you feed them well, they are magically transformed into huggers, the best kind of models. hmm

Sep 28 11 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Image Unlimited

Crewe, England, United Kingdom

Augustine York wrote:
I can't recall a single time in modeling where someone had to put a hand on me to show me how to pose or to adjust a piece of clothing for me. Usually a quick "move your bra strap" or "to the left" or "look up" does the trick.

If a model is so inept at following direction, or a photographer is so inept at giving it, that the photographer needs to be physically touching the model to get her to move the way he wants her to... then someone is doing something wrong.

And yes, I know there are some exceptions where someone is in such a complicated pose they can't even reach their own panties to adjust them, but seriously, how often do those scenarios happen?

Well, then I've been wrong for over 20 years, with models, brides, bridegrooms and dogs.  I work quickly and generally take the hairdresser approach of a quick mannuiquin-like adjustment, or shifting stay hairs. Pretty much touched/adjusted all the models in my portfolio and dozens more.  I state in advance this will happen.

Edit - During the 2 years I modellled got frequently adjusted/touched etc by photographers of both genders and team members. Gets the job done.

Sep 28 11 07:17 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Shiva Photo wrote:
" I will not tolerate HANDS ON PHOTOGRAPHERS " This appears in a recent model portfolio

Reluctance of a model to be touched by the photographer even for adjustment of a pose for best angle or lighting is counter productive to getting the best shots. Review of You tube videos and DVDS show that the best photographers in the field adjust the models face and body. It appears to be an accepted practice.

Models who are absolutely " touch me not"  must think twice about a serious career in modeling.

Photographers and Models opinions are welcome. A touchy subject no doubt.

you are wrong...

Sep 28 11 07:18 am Link

Photographer

DennisRoliffPhotography

Akron, Ohio, US

hartcons wrote:
i'm guessing some of these models are getting touched for more than just adjustments. probably a case of a few horndogs making a mess for everyone else.

i let the wife do most of the touching (to the extent it's necessary which sometimes it is). and if the customer/model husband is on set he's allowed to touch.

(bolding is mine) This was the third response in the thread. That's all the further I needed to go. Why is this so hard for some to understand? /thread

Sep 28 11 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Sungoddess Studios

Keyport, New Jersey, US

Yea well If you get models that don't know what they are doing. My wife  (model, actress,vocalist,mua) is my artistic director and many many times we have to do a preschool class for models that only think they know what they are doing. Experienced models as well may not get exactly how you may want their fingers or elbow.

Sep 28 11 07:26 am Link

Photographer

New Dawn Photography

San Ramon, California, US

Don't touch your models
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110222/11/4d6412989a9b6.jpg

Seriously though, I've only touched models a hand full of times (I know, I know...). Very rare that it's needed and I asked first. Simple.

Sep 28 11 07:32 am Link