Forums > General Industry > Touch me not Models

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

Art Silva Photography wrote:
Good models know how to pose and adjust themselves with good verbal direction, many times because of lighting angles, a slight gentle physical (touch) adjustment may be "needed" because the model doesn't see what the photographer sees in a composition.

I hardly ever touch but have.
As long as it is within the boundaries of the shoot and absolutely necessary, respectfully ask first only if the model is not quite hitting the mark.

A few bad apples have really blown it for the rest of us but yes, set limits and respect them but leave wiggling room if at all possible, nothing worse than a photoshoot full of tension and fear.

WORD.

Sep 28 11 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

L a u r e l l e wrote:
I have a no touch rule.
However, just ask and I'll let you.

That sounds cool to me. Who doesn't ask first?

If I see something wrong I'll describe it and say, "can you get it?". If the model can't (and it's not something right in the crotch) I'll say, "do you want me to?". 99.99999999% of the time it's, "yeah, get it". In fact, I can only remember one time when I heard otherwise and I said, "that's cool, we just won't get this shot". And we moved on to something else. The model was a young, very experienced girl that was used to having a team around her. But this shoot was a trade and just her and I. She didn't want a photographer touching her hair. No big deal. We moved on.

Sep 28 11 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Rande

New York, New York, US

Asking seems to be the way to go. I have never had a model know her left from her right so after "Move your right arm up. No your right arm. I said up. No other arm..." i just ask if it is ok and then move what i need.

Sep 28 11 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Thaltha Red Cloud

Dallas, Texas, US

I am a tocher whates the contexe  dont youse people with dramma

Sep 28 11 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Sep 28 11 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Cheshire Scott

Exeter, New Hampshire, US

Shiva Photo wrote:
" I will not tolerate HANDS ON PHOTOGRAPHERS " This appears in a recent model portfolio

Reluctance of a model to be touched by the photographer even for adjustment of a pose for best angle or lighting is counter productive to getting the best shots. Review of You tube videos and DVDS show that the best photographers in the field adjust the models face and body. It appears to be an accepted practice.

Models who are absolutely " touch me not"  must think twice about a serious career in modeling.

Photographers and Models opinions are welcome. A touchy subject no doubt.

I disagree with the insinuation that "touch me not" models aren't legitimate models. Everyone has there own personal space issues and they should be respected. Many really good models I've worked with had such a policy and it never interfered with working with them.

Asking for permission is the polite, correct way of going about it. If the answer is no, the answer is no but that doesn't mean that the shoot is a bust.

Sep 28 11 09:04 pm Link

Model

Iris has pale lips

San Diego, California, US

Ahaha  sorry no.
No photographer off model mayhem will be "adjusting" me

Sep 28 11 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Fiddlers Green Photo

Edmonds, Washington, US

some models are touchier than others.

Sep 28 11 11:37 pm Link

Model

Tansy Blue

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

To the people who are saying that if they need to touch a model they will, and asking is too slow...

Saying you're shooting a potentially dangerous animal like a lion. And when you get this animal into the studio, the handler says "if you need a paw adjusted or similar, just ask me, he doesn't like being touched by strangers, it'll upset him and he might bite".

Do you go ahead and start prodding the animal about anyway, because, you know, it's just a prop, the trained animal actors in Hollywood can be handled by strangers, and you NEED to to get the shot...?

Clearly not a perfect analogy, but if you would be concerned about the lion's ccomfort and accommodate that, then I really don't see why you can't be concerned for your model's comfort. Just because she won't bite you doesn't mean she doesn't want to. Being touched by a stranger without warning is very disconcerting, particularly if you're in a strange place and naked or scantily clad. ASK PERMISSION. It really shouldn't be "if I need to touch I touch". It should be "if I need to touch I will request permission and then - if it is granted - touch".

Sep 29 11 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Han Koehle

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

There's a difference between a world-famous pro and "some guy I met on the internet."

I know your mom tells you you're world famous, but to the girls you meet on MM, you're some guy she met on the internet. I'm sure you're a total pro, but she doesn't know you from Adam. Instead of bitching about her, keep your hands to yourself.

Sep 29 11 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Han Koehle

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

PashaPhoto wrote:
speaking from my own experience, sometimes it's easier to just come up and move a model's head into the position you want, instead of wasting time going "no, a little to the left... not the right... now down... no too much" etc... that gets very frustrating quick, and this is what op's topic is about... it's about adjusting hair, angles of the face etc, and not about adjusting any "sensitive" body parts...

Your descriptions are really vague. I've had excellent success with,

"without moving anything else, tilt your chin down about five degrees."

Clear communication allows models to understand you.

Sep 29 11 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Bob Freund

Prescott, Arizona, US

I frequently:
use a lint roller, a hairbrush, a bit of double stick tape, a tug on a hem, but perhaps the most characteristic is after pleading for posture demonstrating how to set shoulders or pulling the subject up by the back of the neck gently seems necessary.
These are sometimes necessary actions to get the image or reduce retouch time.
no big deal and so far nobody has complained.

Sep 29 11 12:56 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

I don't like being touched in any aspect of life really and consider it frequently an invasion of privacy.

I can follow directions so I don't need to be touched. If it is a firm and not a lingering movement and clearly moving the head or arm something then that is fine. Just like it would be when being touched by make up artist or hair stylist or as a fitting model then no problems it is part of the job.

But I think we mostly draw the line at the intimate stuff where a photographer will sort of stroke your hand or something. No no no. When this happens - which isn't often but it does; I can imagine why some girls put up that rule. so yes that kind of photographer can wreck it for others.

But most of the time it would be fine in direction or fitting etc. I don't really like being done up in a corset by a guy though. For one thing they can be too rough.

And if I am shooting nude with a photographer and nobody else touch is out of the question but I never met a photographer who was like that (apart from one who was subsequently charged with serious offences with another model).

So it just requires the photographer to use his loaf a bit. But hard to see how a model can't be touched if she works in any aspect of fashion.

Sep 29 11 06:06 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am not a touchy photographer

However I understand some top photographers are

and some even have male assistants to help them with the touching ( lol )

like this fellow

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 781270999#

Sep 29 11 08:02 am Link

Photographer

joephotonyc

Phoenix, Arizona, US

On a recent shoot I ended up with my head between the models legs..

She was on a building roof and the easiest way for her to get down was to sit on my shoulders then I lowered her to the ground.
Getting on to the roof she jumped from a rail on a fence, but jumping down to land on the rail was scary for her.

At the end of the day common sense should prevail.

Sep 29 11 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Garry k wrote:

like this fellow

A "no touching" model couldn't be hired for that shoot.    big_smile

Sep 29 11 08:50 am Link

Model

coripops

Vereeniging, Gauteng, South Africa

Shiva Photo wrote:
" I will not tolerate HANDS ON PHOTOGRAPHERS " This appears in a recent model portfolio

Reluctance of a model to be touched by the photographer even for adjustment of a pose for best angle or lighting is counter productive to getting the best shots. Review of You tube videos and DVDS show that the best photographers in the field adjust the models face and body. It appears to be an accepted practice.

Models who are absolutely " touch me not"  must think twice about a serious career in modeling.

LOL at the pun smile yes models can't expect they won't be touched in their career... okay that might sound wrong but yeah...

what happens if they go to a designer that's fitting a dress? that's a lot more personal than just adjusting a pose slightly. Although a good model doesn't need to literally be touched to adjust her pose the way the photographer wants...

Sep 29 11 08:55 am Link

Photographer

DennisRoliffPhotography

Akron, Ohio, US

Garry k wrote:

like this fellow

Definitely unnecessary touching by the photographer in that vid. As a matter of fact, some of it looked more like groping. :-(

Sep 29 11 08:56 am Link

Model

Tara Tied

New York, New York, US

Shiva Photo wrote:

Reluctance of a model to be touched by the photographer even for adjustment of a pose for best angle or lighting is counter productive to getting the best shots.
Really? Says who? I have a whole port full of pictures where there was absolutely no touching involved, I guess they're all crap.

Review of You tube videos and DVDS show that the best photographers in the field adjust the models face and body.
And everything you see on youtube is correct of course.

It appears to be an accepted practice.
Apparently not by all if there are models who say no touching. Maybe it's accepted by some photographers and models, but not everyone.

I've been doing this for 4 years full-time, I would say that's pretty serious and I'm one of these touch me not models...I guess these past 4 years I've just been lucky that I can model and not be touched. Maybe these past 4 years were just a fluke and I should think twice about a modeling career.

your whole post just made me LOL do people bother to think before they speak any more? Everyone has different limits and if someone doesn't want to be touched they have every right not to be.

Never have I needed to be touched in order to get a good picture, it's called directing. If a photographer isn't good at that then it's their own damn fault if they don't get the picture they want. And if a model can't follow directions then don't shoot with her again, but if she doesn't want to be touched I hardly see her incompetence as a reason to just be able to touch her.

And if wardrobe needs adjusting don't models have hands? We can adjust the outfit ourselves. I adjust my own clothes all the time, what the hell is the difference if it's during a shoot?

Sep 29 11 09:13 am Link

Model

Mickey Maurer

Danbury, Connecticut, US

DennisRoliffPhotography wrote:

Definitely unnecessary touching by the photographer in that vid. As a matter of fact, some of it looked more like groping. :-(

I didn't find anything offensive in the video. He might have been more touchy than normal.  I can understand moving the shirt to just get it on the edge of the nipple.  He is looking at the angle differently than I am.

Sep 29 11 09:17 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Iris has pale lips wrote:
Ahaha  sorry no.

Gee - tell us how you really feel about photographers that are on MM.

John

Sep 29 11 09:21 am Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Obviously this is because some models feel they are inappropriately being felt up on set.

Sometimes I touch, sometimes I don't but if I do touch and I sense that it makes the model uncomfortable, I stop.  It sucks that adjusting can be taken out of context if the model has had rough experiences prior but it is what it is.

Unfortunately, some world-famous photographers are more infamous for their inappropriate treatment of models than they are their photographs and yet agencies don't bar them off the list- they keep sending their models to work with them. 

So it's not just a guy/or girl with a camera trying to meet models online to feel them up on set.  It's all over all the way to the top, even other people on set- designers etc.

Therefore it's completely understandable that some models feel the need to write things like that on their online profiles. 

If they inadvertently block themselves from working with people who put out solid imagery, well, that's a risk they are willing to take & it being their career and not mine, I just respect it.

Sep 29 11 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Groundwerks Productions

Salem, Oregon, US

Models have cooties. Everybody knows that.

I went along with two models to a shoot once, and ended up having to help one with her costume, which involved nipple clamps. She has one hand that's about 90% paralyzed and was physically unable to put it on. 

Having that same model holler for me to come over and fluff her, because the nipple clamps were slipping off, has to be one of my all time highlights, even though I wasn't the photographer. smile

Sep 29 11 09:34 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

this is why when photographers ask if they can adjust my hair or make a slight hand or arm placement adjustment they get all nervous. And having them too afraid to do it for the sake of a better shot is just stupid.

I am one of those people with a bubble. You know, the "don't touch me unless I know you and you have a good reason" bubble. But I am totally fine with a photographer making appropriate adjustments and I don't flip out even if they don't ask. Yes, I prefer they ask (the first time), but it wastes time if they feel they have to ask every time.

Granted, I've never had a photographer touch me in a way I felt was inappropriate. I have, however, had one shine a latex skirt which involved him basically touching my butt. I've had one touch my hip to help me with an angle I just wasn't getting otherwise. I've had plenty adjust my hair and arms and such. Plus, I have super long hair with a mind of it's own. Sometimes the pose I'm in is "perfect" or prevents me from adjusting my own hair and it's perfectly acceptable if the photographer does it.

Also, assistants are nice, but most people I've worked with don't shoot with them. I can't really say an assistant makes me any more or less okay with being touched.

To me, it's just part of the "job." I present myself professionally, I expect others to do the same and I don't work with any body who seems like they might not. I'm not saying something can't happen, but so far my common sense has gotten me by just fine.

Dekilah
http://www.facebook.com/dekilah
http://dekilahthemodel.tumblr.com/
Model Photography Advice Blog

Sep 29 11 09:37 am Link

Model

Chelsea Marlo

Portland, Oregon, US

I don't like to be touched unexpectedly, but if you say "hey I need to move that piece of your hair because it's blocking your eye" then I have no problems.

Sep 29 11 09:40 am Link

Photographer

ChiaraScura

Brooklyn, New York, US

Have to say, I'm on the model's side here. I am guessing that whoever wrote that in their profile had to deal with more than just a casual pose adjustment here and there.

And personally, I always quckly ask "Would you mind?" before I put my hands on a model. Only because I, personally, don't like being touched without warning by someone I don't know well, and I think it's pretty common courtesy. JMO.

Sep 29 11 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Harold Rose wrote:

Over 50 years of photographery  I "Do Not Touch Models"  No need to!!  Do you touch the waitress a McDonalds..  Do you touch the cashier???

Actually a cashier and I momentarily touched just yesterday when she was handing me my change.  Was that innapropriate?   Personally, I've always felt that when someone hands me something, it's possible there will be touch and never felt it was anything to worry about. (not unlike adjusting wardrobe or hair or a prop on a model...)

Sep 29 11 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Ahaha  sorry no.

I knew I should have stayed a craigslist photographer instead of being a photographer off of model mayhem.

Sep 29 11 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Dekilah wrote:
this is why when photographers ask if they can adjust my hair or make a slight hand or arm placement adjustment they get all nervous. And having them too afraid to do it for the sake of a better shot is just stupid.

I am one of those people with a bubble. You know, the "don't touch me unless I know you and you have a good reason" bubble. But I am totally fine with a photographer making appropriate adjustments and I don't flip out even if they don't ask. Yes, I prefer they ask (the first time), but it wastes time if they feel they have to ask every time.

Granted, I've never had a photographer touch me in a way I felt was inappropriate. I have, however, had one shine a latex skirt which involved him basically touching my butt. I've had one touch my hip to help me with an angle I just wasn't getting otherwise. I've had plenty adjust my hair and arms and such. Plus, I have super long hair with a mind of it's own. Sometimes the pose I'm in is "perfect" or prevents me from adjusting my own hair and it's perfectly acceptable if the photographer does it.

Also, assistants are nice, but most people I've worked with don't shoot with them. I can't really say an assistant makes me any more or less okay with being touched.

To me, it's just part of the "job." I present myself professionally, I expect others to do the same and I don't work with any body who seems like they might not. I'm not saying something can't happen, but so far my common sense has gotten me by just fine.

Dekilah
http://www.facebook.com/dekilah
http://dekilahthemodel.tumblr.com/
Model Photography Advice Blog

I don't normally touch a model unless it is necessary.
A nude model spontaneously hugged me.  She didn't ask.    smile

Sep 29 11 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Spree Photos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Leah Griggs wrote:
If a model isn't comfortable with the photographer posing her, she shouldn't be shooting with that photographer. It is necessary at times, I agree.

i totally agree with you, however, as a mature individual, i can understand when a model does not want to be touched at a shoot... sometimes, not even the female makeup artist can touch her.

still, some folks seem to enjoy bringing all types of ridiculous drama into a shoot
next it's going to be, "Don't even look at me, because i am shy and you could spoil my vibes, or, your eyes might turn me on".

i try not to touch models. they normally crack up when i try to demonstrate the pose i want them to do.

Sep 29 11 11:31 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I expect to be poked, prodded and adjusted by make up artists and stylists. If there is no stylist on set and I'm taking care of make up, hair and wardrobe, I do not expect to be adjusted by the photographer.

I prefer you use your big kid words, but if that just doesn't work for you, ask if you might adjust [insert body part here]. I'll most likely say yes. Just be polite.

Sep 29 11 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Black Sunshine

Austin, Texas, US

Harold Rose wrote:
Talk to you subject Don"t  feel them up.  learn how to direct a pose..

1. touching their shoulders or under the chin isn't feeling them up

2. some people don't know what "look up with your eyes" means

3. do you not get touched when you get your hair cut?

Sep 29 11 11:55 am Link

Model

Marciia Gringe

Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada

R and E wrote:
Asking seems to be the way to go. I have never had a model know her left from her right so after "Move your right arm up. No your right arm. I said up. No other arm..." i just ask if it is ok and then move what i need.

you must have worked with some ditzes then. dont generalize all models like that please.

I agree a simple 'do you mind?' solves the whole problem. As long as they are not molesting me a simple touch is not a big deal. Mind you, I have made friends with a lot of the photographers I work with and trust them. Always go for coffee with a photog/model to see what kind of person they are. Communication is key in ANY sort of relationship. Even one regarding a model and photographer.

Sep 29 11 12:07 pm Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

John Allan wrote:
Gee - tell us how you really feel about photographers that are on MM.

John

ha ha - now you know how we feel with all the flake/stripper rates/internet models jibes we put up with twenty times a day!

I agree it was uncalled for. I hope that photographers can start to realise we don't appreciate such comments about us either.

Sep 29 11 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Ahaha  sorry no.

"Excuse me, but your G-spot is a little to the left... Let me get that for you."

Sep 29 11 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Shiva Photo

East Hills, New York, US

What Fun Productions wrote:
"Excuse me, but your G-spot is a little to the left... Let me get that for you."

hilarious !

Sep 29 11 04:09 pm Link

Model

Lisaliz

Rochford, England, United Kingdom

I can truly sympathise with the model who wrote this. Some models have had bad experiences which they don't want repeated. Many models seriously dislike being touched and it should be unnecessary except in exceptional circumstances.

However, I can also see some photographers being repelled by a statement such as this in a model's portfolio for fear that the model may be a bit of a nightmare generally.

Sep 30 11 03:05 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

Shiva Photo wrote:
Reluctance of a model to be touched by the photographer even for adjustment of a pose for best angle or lighting is counter productive to getting the best shots.

Maybe some photographers need to be better at giving precise directions / instructions. The only times that I have done so has been at the model's request because they know they are not getting the pose. Even then I make certain that they are asking me to make the adjustment to their hand / hair / foot. Working tethered enables them to see how they are looking, if something needs adjusting, how they might adjust it they can also see the 'why'.

Sep 30 11 03:30 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

Groundwerks Productions wrote:
I went along with two models to a shoot once, and ended up having to help one with her costume, which involved nipple clamps. She has one hand that's about 90% paralyzed and was physically unable to put it on. 

Having that same model holler for me to come over and fluff her, because the nipple clamps were slipping off, has to be one of my all time highlights, even though I wasn't the photographer. smile

Curious why the other model was not able to do this ?

Sep 30 11 03:33 am Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

What if the model needs plumping?

Sep 30 11 03:53 am Link