Forums > Photography Talk > Models that don't know how to model

Photographer

Alan Wilkinson

Morecambe, England, United Kingdom

Mosttry wrote:

although...Jeff Koons does...

I thought he was a sculptor or is this why I've never seen any of his paintings. ;o)

Oct 16 11 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Koa,

We do all have to learn, but I didn't lean photography from the model - I am seeing some flawed logic here.

Oct 16 11 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

-Koa-

Castaner, Puerto Rico, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
Koa,

We do all have to learn, but I didn't lean photography from the model - I am seeing some flawed logic here.

We do all have to learn, but I did'nt learn photography from the sun. - I am seeing some flawed logic here. That's right, I have to learn how the light from the sun works in order to properly set my camera. Same with models. I have to learn how they work so I can set myself to better work with them.

We all learn from EVERYTHING.

Example: When did you elarn how to speak? I bet you knew how to speak english before you hit kindergaten, right. You listened to others and thus learned on your own without formal training.

I learn from my models. I have learned when they are confident and when they are not. I have to learn how to treat them in all aspects. It's humanity 101. I did not go to a school that taught me how to direct, handle, talk to or encourage models. I learned that on my own by working with models.

Yes, I have learned from models. I'd be a stuck up dick if I thought otherwise. Models have learned from me and I have learned from them. If they tell me they are uncomfortable, I find out why and adjust.

No, I did not learn my photography from a model but my photography in general has vastly improved from what I have learned from them.

-Koa-

Oct 16 11 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

-Koa-

And to those who think my logic is flawed, then I'd hate to see you doing portrait work.

It does not matter how many times a person has had their portrait made, you still have to direct them to get the best image. Or, do you just say, "Stand there and smile" and go *CLICK*, done!?

Really!

-Koa-

Oct 16 11 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

Mark Kwiatkowski wrote:

Why not?

If a model sucks it shouldn't take 800 shots to figure that out.  I'd argue that if they're good it won't take you that many shots either, but it's your choice if you want to create that many images to go through.  If the model had 2 expressions, why shoot each one 400 times?

Oct 16 11 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

-Koa- wrote:
And to those who think my logic is flawed, then I'd hate to see you doing portrait work.

It does not matter how many times a person has had their portrait made, you still have to direct them to get the best image. Or, do you just say, "Stand there and smile" and go *CLICK*, done!?

Really!

-Koa-

Two different worlds.  I expect to have to demostrate and mime out things for a non model or a new model in development.  The issue the OP had was with a model and frankly if you are shooting with a model you should not expect to have to provide that level of coaching, it should be out of the ordinary and never with a agency signed model.

Oct 16 11 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Julian W I L D E

Portland, Oregon, US

I can't tell you what YOU should do, but I will tell you what I would say.

Very simply.

"Honestly, it's not the kind of thing that I do. 

But there are photographers that do this sort of thing,

and I'm sure they could help you with this."

More of less.  ;-)

-JULIAN

Oct 16 11 05:42 pm Link

Retoucher

GregWatson

Mount Airy, North Carolina, US

You have 800 photos of disgust peppered with crazy eyes with crooked fingers tongue

Thanks for making me laugh big_smile

Whenever I take photos I usually curse at people until they emote yikes

Oct 16 11 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

Having worked with all kinds of models and brides (wedding photography), I can say that it sounds like you were missing rapport.  If you're getting disgust out of a model there's a connection missing between the two of you.  How do you build that rapport?  Talk to her.  Ask her what she does, what she wants to do, what kind of music she listens to, what she does for fun, etc.  Get to know her as a person a little.  Then the expression you'll get from an inexperienced model will go from disgust to "is this what you want?"  Then you have to let them relax and get used to being in front of a camera. You can help the process along with coaching and directing. 

Coaching and directing requires you know what you want and you know how to describe it.  Is it a simple smile or more of seeing a friend and saying "Hey!" smile, or is it the open mouth smile?  Also show her the pick on your camera if shooting digital.  Then you can discuss what you're getting with her.  "See, you're looking a little surprised in these shots, if we could dial that back a bit this would *really* work."  Be nice, be positive and relate to your subject as a person, let her know what you want and help her deliver it as much as you can.

The subject of your photo is more important than what kind of camera you use to capture it/her/him.

Oct 16 11 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

-Koa-

AJScalzitti wrote:
Two different worlds.  I expect to have to demostrate and mime out things for a non model or a new model in development.  The issue the OP had was with a model and frankly if you are shooting with a model you should not expect to have to provide that level of coaching, it should be out of the ordinary and never with a agency signed model.

As I already stated, some models are naturals. Other's are not.

Let's just say that I have no problems working with people regardless of their experience and leave it at that.

-Koa-
www.borikenwarrior.com

Oct 16 11 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Ferndale, California, US

Mark Kwiatkowski wrote:
I asked for a smile, she smiles and raises her eyebrows high and widens her eyes like a crazy person. This went on for the entire session.

Don't ask her to smile. Make her smile.

Oct 16 11 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Ferndale, California, US

Cuica Cafezinho wrote:
First, don't shoot 800 photos. smile

+1

I've shot complete weddings in under 800 shots. For a headshot session, I'm usually done after 30-40.

Oct 16 11 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Dystopian X

Columbia, Missouri, US

Great stuff here guys.

I've only shot a small handfull of models that I didn't already know and it was awkward for both of us at first, but I just kept chatting them up, being playfull, silly, stupid, whatever.   I just pulled the camera out and started shooting them before we were any where near ready.  While we were still talking about the trip or the weather.  I don't have much technical skill yet, heck I still don't know what half the settings on my T1 even do, lol, but I ended up with shots of models that actually look like real emotions, so I'd have to say just goofing off seems to work for me.  As far as getting them "real," I mean.  If I look stupid and relaxed they don't mind looking stupid and relaxed maybe?  Go ahead.  Door open.

Oct 16 11 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Dystopian X

Columbia, Missouri, US

obviously I'm talking about work between newbies... someone that knows what they're doing might not be so relaxed wink

Oct 16 11 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Image Works Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Funny but I thought you were describing a scene out of the exhorcist where then the 360 degree head turn happens. Yikes- just gives me the creeps!
That being said. I had a newbie model that thank goodness I had index cards with poses on them which saved the day. Also the face look stiffed with no emotion.

Oct 16 11 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

i think every model should watch this, i think i may make it a required prerequisite for all my new models.

from mm's own lucima

http://lucimablog.blogspot.com/2011/05/ … ience.html

Oct 17 11 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

London, England, United Kingdom

Mark Kwiatkowski wrote:
Or maybe it's me not knowing how to photograph?

To all those that responded in the affirmative to this point, it is possible that they were missing one particular point.

Maybe it's not that you don't know "how to photograph" per se but that you don't know how to photograph that particular type of model?

Crazy eyes and awkward hands don't necessarily have to make a bad photograph (http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/2001.474) but evidently not the kind of photograph you had in mind.

If you've seen any cutting edge European fashion magazines recently, you'll have seen crazy eyes, awkward hand positions and all kinds of things certainly not found in the Mary Duprie guide to modeling. 

So it depends what you want and how open you are to all the possibilities.

Oct 18 11 03:19 pm Link

Model

Emma-Christine

London, England, United Kingdom

95536 wrote:

Don't ask her to smile. Make her smile.

More people should think like this.

Oct 18 11 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Garrett Black

Bangor Trident Base, Washington, US

here is my two cents are an amateur. I absolutely hate it when the model expects me to know everything about what she should do (if its her project). If its my project, I generally know what I want her to do.

Then there is the rare case where you get the person like in the OP. Here is what you do: be natural and have fun with it. Loosen her up, tell her jokes, get a laugh out of her. Do some fun shots like her waving her hair around or jumping in the air. Go effin nuts. I usually quote the austin powers photoshoot scene. The reason being is that the model is being too tense or nervous, even if they don't appear so. Once they loosen up, you will get some good photos. Instead of say pose, say pretend your a super model and do a crazy pose lol

Oct 18 11 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

I think someone should post up in serious critique.... too much cake and no icing.

Oct 18 11 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

-Koa- wrote:

Carlos,
I have yet to work with a "professional" model. They have all walked, basically, off the street. That means not a single one from MM either. These folks, men and women, have no idea what is expected of them. It's up to the photographer, who supposedly does have the experience, to teach them.

Or, maybe these models should go to a modeling school first. What's your thought on that. How many models on this site have gone to modeling school?

Not everyone can model and not everyone can be a photographer. Yet people can learn if shown how to do it. How did you learn?

The point is that my response was accurate. We as photographers have to take full responsibility for what we produce. So, if my work comes out like crap, do I tell everyone it was the models fault? Better yet, if the images turn out terrific, do you say, "It was because of the model"!? Right, did'nt think so.

Fact is, any team that works together sinks or swims depending on the leader (the photographer in this case). If you don't have the patience or the ability to guide and encourage the models in the direction you need them to go, then you need to find another line of work.

Remember, when given lemons, make lemonade.

-Koa-
www.borikenwarrior.com

No, sorry. As you say you've not worked with pro models. Any team lives or dies from the skill of the team, including the leader. What you're talking about is a very micro management team, not a creative team.

A team is more than a leader and people who follow. That approach, as I've said so so many times here, produces bored looking models and uninteresting photography.

Oct 18 11 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

-Koa- wrote:

Really!

-Koa-

Portrait and model photography share very little in common from an effective directing perspective.

Oct 18 11 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

ACPhotography wrote:
800??? 1000??? Geeze, I'm done with 100 shots and that's with a few outfits!

I have a known shooter friend who is always done with a shoot in 45 minutes, tops.  Knows what he wants, shoots it and is done.

Oct 18 11 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Models KNOW how to model.  I have shot with several that go from pose to pose while I shoot.  I don't expect her to know photography, either

Oct 18 11 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

95536 wrote:

+1

I've shot complete weddings in under 800 shots. For a headshot session, I'm usually done after 30-40.

Yep!  Comes from the mentality of keeping one's finger on the shutter hoping something good will come out if one shoots enough shots

Oct 18 11 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

JSVPhotography

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Experienced models are great. Those other models without a lot of experience need to get some experience - somewhere. I shoot a lot of new, inexperienced models as well as those with experience or those I have shot over and over again giving us something of a "used to each other" working relationship.

Once in a while, though, you'll get a model who is frustrating. You really should know how to overcome a situation like that, how she should or could pose, what light is best, what angle is best. That said, there are still some models who suck at modeling. Waiting around to "capture something" should not be your job. It should not be like that at all.

Taking 800 pictures... this tells me that you either have a really long shoot, have a lot of time to go through things and make selections or are doing spray and pray hoping that with enough shots SOMETHING might not look too bad. I also think that with time you will narrow this down considerably and be able to identify much sooner what is and is not working - and then make corrections.

Oct 18 11 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

There are reasons agencies are so picky.   Its not just about how a model looks but can she emote.   Is she able to move fluidly.   Is she relaxed and free.   Sometimes you have to know when to bag a shoot.   The OP continued hoping for some decent looks and poses but 800 images is far too many.   A few weeks ago, I did a session with a awful model.   She was stiff and awkward but worse it was oblivious before the shoot  she didn't like me.    I became uncomfortable around her quickly and should have stopped shooting but she had come a long way.   So, I did around fifty images and emailed her 20.   None of which, I liked or would use.

The lesson here stop if things aren't right.   If the model isn't working for you.   If her expressions, make-up, clothes or location aren't working, stop.   If its a unpaid Test then the ideal is to get useable images.   If that isn't likely then stop.   If you are being paid then your are obligated to produce work she will like or do the best that you can.

Oct 18 11 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

A_Nova_Photography

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, US

Doug Jantz wrote:

Yep!  Comes from the mentality of keeping one's finger on the shutter hoping something good will come out if one shoots enough shots

It's called throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks!!!!

Oct 18 11 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Tori Toguchi

New York, New York, US

Dang. That's a lot of pictures! I quit after 2 hours (tops and maybe 200 and less).

Otherwise, there have been "stiff" models that I've worked with from this site and it's just frustrating to try and get something out of them and not be able to and for one, I was able to freely chat with her (she was easy to chat with and everything but I didn't really like the images that I got... nor the area that she picked).

But oh well, I'll work with them once and probably not work with them again if I don't care for what they were unable to produce (And I'm sure the same applies to those who don't like my work).

Oct 18 11 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Quang Dang

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

JSL wrote:
It is frustrating to do a session and not feel like you got the shot - no matter if it's a paid shoot, tf, whatever. None of us want to say that we just wasted a bunch of time with no results.

Having said that, it happens to everyone. I shot with a girl earlier this week and she smiled in every single freakin' pic I took... Even though she tried not to, she couldn't have had a serious expression if I would have wacked her with a 2x4.

I'm pretty sure that happened to everyone of us.

Actually when booking a model, you should already noticed model poses, face expression, hands, etc on her portfolio. Just Don't book crappy models unless you have time and energy to waste with them.

For a paid job or not, you have to direct them and if they still can't do what you want, just shoot, take the money $$$ and move on. Don't take it too personal. Who cares?

Mostly they are newbies, lacking experiences. Some model are skillful than the others. Just like in any industries or careers.

Oct 18 11 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

AtomicPenguin

Dix Hills, New York, US

Not everyone is a professional model, but everyone is a human being.  I took a class with a great artist some time ago who explained that a good photograph is about truth.  Anyone can throw themselves into a pose, set up a scene, do makeup and clothing, the masters reproduce and capture truth.  Modeling, acting, is about faking position and emotion, but not everyone has voluntary control over every aspect of their expression.  Help your model to experience an emotion rather than just attempting to replicate it.

Anyone can rent a studio and fill it with $30,000 worth of gear, not everyone can direct a model.  Uncomfortable shows through.  If you can start from a relaxed state you can build other emotions on top.  Set the scene, tell a story, whatever, just don't stand there and click away.

My girlfriend is very pretty (at least I think so) and she has a pretty good range.  She's an outstanding musician, dancer and singer.  As my part-time model she takes direction well, but sometimes she just has off days.  "Sorry hunny, this just isn't working, lets go have lunch and try again later," is an option, otherwise start talking about something else, ask them to adjust their hair and just start shooting out of nowhere.  Talk the entire time if you have to.

800 is crazy.  I shoot alot.  This weekend I did a gig for a two member music group.  In 3 hours I shot like 600, most of which were frame for frame duplicates due to my heavy finger, and produced about 400 useable images (with lots of dupes and action sequences) and about 150 unique images and sequence compilations.  Sometimes running the camera can help them settle in and "feel like a model," but if you are shooting instead of talking, it's not going to work.

Oct 18 11 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

coffee_high

Chicago, Illinois, US

800 photos??  10 is good enough,

Oct 18 11 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

coffee_high wrote:
800 photos??  10 is good enough,

10 good ones is enough.  1 good one is enough.

but certain situations require 800 photos in order to get that one good one.

Oct 18 11 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Doug Jantz wrote:

I have a known shooter friend who is always done with a shoot in 45 minutes, tops.  Knows what he wants, shoots it and is done.

I get more and more like this after every shoot.

If the model is lacking and the photographer doesn't have the knowledge to get the model doing what he wants, don't blame the model. 

Not everyone in front of the camera knows exactly what to do.  If you have to do 800 shots for a single shoot, you may want to rethink your strategy.

Oct 18 11 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:

10 good ones is enough.  1 good one is enough.

but certain situations require 800 photos in order to get that one good one.

If you're spraying and praying, sure.  If you know what you want it's a completely different story.

Oct 18 11 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Image Works Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Yes, 800 pictures would be a record for me. The most I have ever done is closer to 300. Today I have run it even lower. It is better to shoot effectively and not get tired in the process.

Oct 18 11 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Erick Prince

Austin, Texas, US

Mark Kwiatkowski wrote:

Why not?

Were you shooting a short wedding? lol. 800 is ALOT for one model. I mean I shoot about 120 and that's three looks with different lighting setups. To each his own. You may wear your model down shooting 800 frames unless your rapid firing.

Oct 18 11 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

Mosttry wrote:
Shooting a model isn't that different from directing an actor.  If the talent is doing something 'wrong', we're the ones who can coach them to where they need to be.

I've directed actors, I directed plays professionally. You can coach and make small improvements, but someone knows how to act or they don't. You're not likely to get a great performance out of someone who hasn't trained and learned their craft.

In college one of my Theatre professors would get very drunk and morose the night that the plays he directed the students in opened. I never understood why until I became a director. You have this vision in your head of what you want things to look like, and inexperienced actors are likely to fall very short of that.

I really reject the point of view that it's all the photographer's responsibility and the OP is at at fault. Yes some good direction may have helped improve the images some. But it's the model's job to model, that's what they're there for. Someone who doesn't know what to do with their hands, that's a real newbie model issue.

Oct 19 11 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Rodney Almore Photos

Altadena, California, US

R A V E N D R I V E wrote:
Direct in this circumstance

I've shot with girls that weren't models, models that didn't know how to model, etc. If the shoot isn't working you should stop and show them a bunch of poses, like some models you know might have videos on youtube of them modeling, stream that from your phone

have some model magazines around, or a posing guide for reference

This is your answer.

Oct 19 11 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Rodney Almore Photos wrote:

This is your answer.

It isn't... and it's because all you'll get is bored faces with a pose which looks similar to what you did. That's *not* a model using my definition at least.

Models are more than just a body - they're a face and an expression. That's much, much harder to teach. Even in art nude (where you're not shooting body parts) the models expression is important.

The thing I don't get about those of you guys saying the photographer should be responsible is:

Every pro photographer I've spoken to says, if the model can't model, you send her home and ring the agency for someone who can.

..and..

If what you're saying is true and anyone can model to a reasonable professional standard, why book a pro model? Why not just get some random pretty girl off the street?

The simple answer is that there's a world of difference between someone with talent and someone who can stand there and look pretty. You can't turn someone who can stand there and look pretty and has no talent into someone with talent.

I dunno.. maybe some of you are happy enough with someone standing there and looking pretty, but for the work I do I need someone with natural talent.

No one can give them that talent if they don't already have it because it oozes from their *personality*, the way they carry themselves and what they do with their face.

Put it this way - when I test a new girl with an agency, the agency don't come back and say "How well did you teach her?" they are much more interesting in my opinion on "How talented is she?". And yes I give models tips and ways to get what they want, but fundamentally, if a model can't model, that cannot be the photographers responsibility.

(except for choosing to do a shoot with her in the first place)

Oct 19 11 01:24 am Link