Forums > General Industry > No model credits on images

Model

Crystal Rose Modeling

Sacramento, California, US

If you love a photographer's work, but there are no model credits on images...not even a name. Same thing on their website. Red flag?

Mar 24 13 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

No, its happens all the time

Mar 24 13 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

Valerie Kelly wrote:
If you love a photographer's work, but there are no model credits on images...not even a name. Same thing on their website. Red flag?

No not a red flag. Some models do not wish to be named some models are not on MM and can not be tagged or credited.

Who puts peoples names on their website? I don't nor do any of my friends. Weird hmm

Mar 24 13 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Valerie Kelly wrote:

Could mean they stole the pictures, or they have something to hide. OR, it could mean they're lazy, or the models are from major agencies and don't have MM accounts.  Perhaps you could ask?

Do they have tags from models they've shot with?  Not just "thanks for the listing" but actual comments on shoots?

Mar 24 13 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Kezins Photography

Beckley, West Virginia, US

Valerie Kelly wrote:

Could be a red flag, but could be many things too.  Some models don't want their names attached to images for privacy reasons, some don't model anymore..could be a lot of reasons really.

Mar 24 13 08:28 am Link

Photographer

L2Photography net

University City, Missouri, US

On MM I ask the model to credit me and I credit them on all my MM photos unless they are not on MM.
L2

Mar 24 13 08:28 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Art of the nude wrote:
Could mean they stole the pictures, or they have something to hide. OR, it could mean they're lazy, or the models are from major agencies and don't have MM accounts.  Perhaps you could ask?

Do they have tags from models they've shot with?  Not just "thanks for the listing" but actual comments on shoots?

Ditto this ^^^^

I wouldn't call it a red flag, but under certain circumstances it could be a yellow flag.

Mar 24 13 08:33 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

You need to take everything as a whole and not just pick out one thing and see it as a red flag. I have very few photos credited by photographers I have worked with. Most are very busy and don't credit anyone.

Mar 24 13 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Valerie Kelly wrote:

Some photographers don't do it because they are too lazy.  Others prefer to keep a models identity a secret, perhaps because they hope no one else will shoot with that model and get identical results.

This is however a two way street.  If I look at a models portfolio and she does not credit any of the photographers I will probably not work with her.  No credits means I can't contact anyone she has worked with in the past to get a reference so it sort of makes me suspicious.

Mar 24 13 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

I'm not on MM enough to keep track of MM credits.

The models I work with are many times on MM but we spend so much time booking through emails and phones that we rarely care about MM numbers and credits.

If you are modeling for MM credits them with with other local photographers.
If you are working for images, then credits don't matter much.

Mar 24 13 09:37 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

model might not be on mayhem. model may have asked not to be credited.

or in my case i upgraded to premium (since have downgraded) and was too lazy to go back in and add credits to like 50 images.

if you want to check references and the photographer doesn't show any then ask for some.

Mar 24 13 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Leon Bailey

Orlando, Florida, US

From my experiences.

Models are lazy, so I have to remind them to tag me. Funny thing about this is, I send them my MM Id along with my pictures, so they can do so. Like I said...they lazy lol.

Mar 24 13 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Not necessarily.

Many people don't use MM as their primary networking source.

Mar 24 13 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Leon Bailey wrote:
From my experiences.

Models are lazy, so I have to remind them to tag me. Funny thing about this is, I send them my MM Id along with my pictures, so they can do so. Like I said...they lazy lol.

That's what I use MM's "list" feature for!

Mar 24 13 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I say not a red flag but a yellow flag as in proceed with caution.

With exception, its to the Photographer's benefit to tag Models and Stylists in their portfolios. After all if those that work with you know that they can benefit from your brand then it's makes for a more powerful bargaining position when negotiating rates or seeking collaboration on trade shoots.

The exception would be agency Models or Models who don't want to be identified  in the image for work that they normally don't do or may be harmful to their brand.

I say be cautious because this may be an indication of a lack of transparency and a way to limit potential accountability. A lot of Models use these links to do their due diligence when checking out Photographers that are interested in working with them. No links, and you've eliminated a way to hold a Photographer accountable thus the wonder as to why they don't link to the Models that they've worked with in their portfolio.

Again, as others have said, it's probably laziness but this does come of as suspect. So it's to the Photographer's benefit to link to the Models that they work with as to not raise undeserved suspicion by the Models and Stylists that they want to work with for shoots.

Mar 24 13 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Four-Eleven Productions

Fircrest, Washington, US

There may be some innocent reasons, but I have read on here too many times about photographers who decline to credit models because, they reason, "Why should I help my competitors? Let 'em find their own models, like I had to."

It's a shitty attitude, and kinda defeats the purpose of belonging to a networking site.

Mar 24 13 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Bravo Magic Images

Temple City, California, US

Some photographers dont post credits on model image due to they dont want other photographers stealing their models also it may just mean they dont bother with that topic

Mar 24 13 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Maybe....maybe not. The entire "picture" of someone needs to be taken in context.

Mar 24 13 11:59 am Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
Not necessarily.

Many people don't use MM as their primary networking source.

+1

All of the models in my port have been from Craigslist lately and are posing nude for my paintings. I may name the painting with the models first name, but they do not want to have their full name credited.

Mar 24 13 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Leon Bailey wrote:
I have to remind them to tag me.

Farenell Photography wrote:
That's what I use MM's "list" feature for!

Exactly. Rather than bug the model, I have a list for uncredited work of mine on models' portfolios.

Mar 24 13 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

JOEL McDONALD

Portland, Oregon, US

I only credit MM models in images that are posted on MM. It's a courtesy I extend to help promote them to the rest of the MM community.

Mar 24 13 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Valerie Kelly wrote:

NO !, as I have had models that didn't know how to add credits....just guide them.....RED FLAG is a bit much tongue

Mar 24 13 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

liddellphoto

London, England, United Kingdom

Not really. Not everyone gets models from MM especially if they do agency testing.

Mar 24 13 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

liddellphoto wrote:
Not really. Not everyone gets models from MM especially if they do agency testing.

this too +1

Mar 24 13 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Blonde Pony Photography

Circumstances vary. I recently had a model ask me to remove her credit due to someone looking for and stealing her images. Otherwise, I credit everyone involved.

Mar 24 13 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

This industry thrives on exposure for both model n photographer so why not credit eachother?.. it's good bnusiness!

If I saw a beautiful photo on either a models or togs site.. I am curious what the rest of the work looks like if I am shopping around or looking for references.

RESPECT!

paul
just my 2¢

Mar 24 13 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

No.

Mar 24 13 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Just posted two new shots from a recent test.  I think the model may be on here but honestly, I have no idea.  Even if she was, she wouldn't want me to tag her.

Mar 24 13 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Moonlight Studio

Hot Springs, Arkansas, US

If and when I use MM, will ask if the model wants tag. If not MM does not give out information on the model

Mar 24 13 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

dvwrght

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Four-Eleven Productions wrote:
There may be some innocent reasons, but I have read on here too many times about photographers who decline to credit models because, they reason, "Why should I help my competitors? Let 'em find their own models, like I had to."

It's a shitty attitude, and kinda defeats the purpose of belonging to a networking site.

it doesn't defeat the purpose whatsoever. i'm on modelmayhem to contact people and post castings, not to use my portfolio here to help promote other people.

if you think that's a shitty attitude, then that's fine. but tagging people you've worked with in photos is far from the primary purpose of belonging to a networking site like modelmayhem... at least for me.

Mar 24 13 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

Half the models I've worked with doesn't even have a MM. So there would be no way to credit them. There are many other reasons they may not be credited. So no I wouldn't call it a red flag

Mar 24 13 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Four-Eleven Productions

Fircrest, Washington, US

dave phoenix wrote:

it doesn't defeat the purpose whatsoever. i'm on modelmayhem to contact people and post castings, not to use my portfolio here to help promote other people.

if you think that's a shitty attitude, then that's fine. but tagging people you've worked with in photos is far from the primary purpose of belonging to a networking site like modelmayhem... at least for me.

A networking site works best when all the network nodes connect. Not crediting those who contributed to the shot is a disservice to the models, MUAs, stylists, and your fellow photographers. Certainly cripples your ability to 'network.'

Mar 24 13 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

AMCphoto2

Valerie Kelly wrote:

I don't have a lot credits on my images because I work with a lot of my dance friends who aren't on MM...

Mar 24 13 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

glumpy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Who says you are Supposed to Tag the people you work with?
If there is no requirement and it's a personal choice, why would you think of it as a red flag? Seems a pretty questionable way to decide a persons credentials.

I get very few llamas from here in the first place and even if they are on the site, I couldn't be buggered going looking to see if they are here. The search facility to find someone here is rubbish anyway. If you could do more easily, maybe more people would tag if it was a more efficient process. 

If you do want a red flag, I'd say watch the shooters that post endless hollow platitudes on comments on llamas pics, especially plain, averagesnapshots where they crap on like it's the best pic ever taken.
Some shooters seem to drivel all over every 2nd llamas folio like pining dogs. You can even see the exact same comment word for word on 30 different llamas folios. Makes my skin crawl every time I see it which is way too often with some people. 

They would be the first ones I'd  see a red flag with.

Mar 24 13 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

dvwrght

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Four-Eleven Productions wrote:
A networking site works best when all the network nodes connect. Not crediting those who contributed to the shot is a disservice to the llamas, MUAs, stylists, and your fellow photographers. Certainly cripples your ability to 'network.'

i don't think it cripples my ability to network at all. i can still use the browse tool to find llamas, makeup artists, hairstylist, wardrobe stylist, and other people in my area. i can still post and view casting and respond to them.

modelmayhem would be perfectly useful to me, even if nobody tagged anything, even if there were no tags on pages, even if there were no "friends" or "favorites."

Mar 24 13 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Docta Shock Fotografix

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

JOEL McDONALD wrote:
I only credit MM models in images that are posted on MM. It's a courtesy I extend to help promote them to the rest of the MM community.

+1

Mar 24 13 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Art of the nude wrote:

Yes, to this!  ^^^

Could be that the model didn't want her/his name used.  Could also be a stolen image. It's a yellow flag ... meaning that you should take a look at some other things.  Looking for more clues should help.

Mar 24 13 09:37 pm Link

Model

Crystal Rose Modeling

Sacramento, California, US

They didn't have too many tags, but I found one "thanks for the shoot" type tag, which is a plus.

Mar 24 13 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Obviously some models ask the photographer NOT to credit them. It means nothing!

Mar 26 13 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Leon Bailey wrote:
From my experiences.

My experience: Some models are amazingly proactive and thoughtful in regards to networking and promoting coworkers. Some newer models don't know about the crediting features, but are happy to use them when shown how. Some models are lazy and unthinking in regards to networking, but are glad to cooperate if asked to provide credits. A rare few are totally self-absorbed and don't give credits even when asked nicely.

Not crediting is a very minor red flag to me, if at all, but models who are clearly generous with the people they've worked with really stand out in a good way, IMO.

Mar 26 13 06:42 pm Link